Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

flutered wrote: »
    i have not read all of this thread, last year munster had most of the season roughly 16 players injured, how much of this would you guys lay at the door of the strenth and conditioning department, has peter davenport really been replaced, or is it my senility.
    Not sure how much you can lay a lot at the door of the S+C department.
    Who is Peter Davenport???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The dude in white above looks like he enjoyed his off-season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The dude in white above looks like he enjoyed his off-season...

It's Sean Dougall I think. I wouldn't say he's carrying anything a few sprints wouldn't shake, at least he's not a slip of a man like our other flankers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

ormond lad wrote: »

i probably have the surname wrong, he was a buddy of o garas, he pushed him on to thomond park after the the league final against leinster last year, he passed away shortly after wards, btw someone has to be accountablr for such an injury list, then it is possible that i am wrong, what was the other top clubs injury stats like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

i probably have the surname wrong, he was a buddy of o garas, he pushed him on to thomond park after the the league final against leinster last year, he passed away shortly after wards, btw someone has to be accountablr for such an injury list, then it is possible that i am wrong, what was the other top clubs injury stats like.

Paul Derbyshire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

ormond lad wrote: »

I believe you mean Paul Darbyshire?

someone has to be accountablr for such an injury list, then it is possible that i am wrong, what was the other top clubs injury stats like.

It's very, very hard to know I think, it might have been bad luck, it might have been bad preparation, each injury is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

It's very, very hard to know I think, it might have been bad luck, it might have been bad preparation, each injury is different.

Indeed. You can only judge these things over time although there does seem to be a problem in Munster.

One of the things that should cause concern is the amount of players getting injured after coming back from an injury. Are they being pushed too hard or pushing themselves too hard. If so its up to the coaches to put the brakes on their recovery.

back in the day when i was at it, there was no conditioning people the coach had to do all that, so that many injurys would cost a coach the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

There is a great interview with Jerry Flannery at Pig 'N Porter. I presume that we're allowed post full articles again, so:

**Full Article edited out

• Advertisement

"I feel very strongly about my position in the gym as a role model, particularly for disadvantaged kids and weak people."

Hero.

thats some weight hes lifting, that is powerlifter standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

Does anyone know when the actually Pool fixtures will be announced for the Heineken cup? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

GerM wrote: »
    I'm not sure to what extent or standard but Ard Scoil Rís have a weights room and Castletroy is creating one if it's not there already. Along with Rockwell, PBC and CBC, a good number, probably the majority, of big rugby schools in Munster have weight facilities.

I know that St.Munchins have turned unused classrooms into weights rooms for the last year or so but there is a whole new gym facility being built so in 2 or so years they will have excellent facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

davesweets wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the actually Pool fixtures will be announced for the Heineken cup? :)
    not for a couple more weeks. iirc its around the 3rd week of july when they're normally announced

• Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

thats some weight hes lifting, that is powerlifter standard.
    It may have been a jest though...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

It may have been a jest though...

I'd say all the numbers are make believe especially as he's says he currently down .43% body fat and looking to get to 0% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Yeah, and when you know the interviewer so well, you can rely on them not to push you too hard on your "facts" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

roycon wrote: »
    It is a hell of a lot better. I'm not going to disagree with that. They were getting 20% out of 100 and they are now getting 39% out of 100 but they are still failing. Claiming that private schools in Dublin have better weights rooms and have more money for supplements and trainers is a pathetic excuse. Clongowes have been the best schools team over the past 3/4 years and they have virtually no weights training at all in school. For the most part these lads are coming through leinster u18s,19s,20s. There has to be pressure there and expectation on people to improve there size gradually and consistently over time.

This is what they are doing !
    Last spring, Clongowes Wood College’s rugby senior cup panel went to the sun for "warm-weather training." Forty boys, accompanied by various coaches, were dispatched to Portugal.

Everybody was pleased with the facilities. Clongowes’s head coach, Noel McNamara, was highly complimentary of the excursion, which was organised by Irish Rugby Tours.

"The hotel at Monte Gordo was excellent," McNamara wrote to the tour operator. "It’s location near to the town, across from the beach and its proximity to the training facilities, made it an ideal place to stay.

"The food was excellent, in particular, the variety and the quality made it a lot easier to satisfy all pallets. The fact that there were only two players per room was much better than three to four and this made the quality of sleep much better, as there were only two people’s habits to suit."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/guest-columnist/private-school-subsidies-a-public-disgrace-179288.html

The Clongowes coach is from Clare (so came up through Munster Rugby) and coaches Leinster age groups as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

pah I think people are a bit too worried about having state of the art gyms. With some old tractor tyres, sand bags, tackle bags, chains and sleds added with some imagination, ingenuity and time and you have all the work out equipment a young rugby player could need

jm08 wrote: »
    This is what they are doing !

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/guest-columnist/private-school-subsidies-a-public-disgrace-179288.html

The Clongowes coach is from Clare (so came up through Munster Rugby) and coaches Leinster age groups as well.

Disgraceful that these schools get State support while other schools in the State are prefabs. It's just a sport ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Disgraceful that these schools get State support while other schools in the State are prefabs. It's just a sport ffs.

In fairness to the Js, they tried to hand all their schools over to the Irish state to run and the state wouldn't take Clongowes (more than likely because its in the middle of nowhere)! They did take Crescent in Limerick which is non-fee paying.

I'd presume the parents pay for these trips as extras anyway (or from their €16K annual fees), not the State.

jm08 wrote: »
    In fairness to the Js, they tried to hand all their schools over to the Irish state to run and the state wouldn't take Clongowes (more than likely because its in the middle of nowhere)! They did take Crescent in Limerick which is non-fee paying.

I'd presume the parents pay for these trips as extras anyway (or from their €16K annual fees), not the State.

I don't really want to take this off topic as we've been through it before but if parents want to send kids to private schools they should pay the full cost, the State should not pick up the tab for the teachers. When we have properly running health and education systems we can revisit the need to give money to private schools.

Or course, while I'm widely off topic, I wouldn't let the Catholic Church in any guise any hand in the education of children after that way they dealt with the widespread rape of children in the past. Somehow the State is footing the bill for that too...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Munsterrugby.ie
    Strength & Conditioning Insight Continued
    10 July 2012, 11:50 am
    By The Editor

Here's part 2 of our catch up with Head of Fitness Bryce Cavanagh.

Gym to training ground....
    "There’s basics the guys have to get done, like they have to be strong, they have to be able to squat and we’ve got benchmarks there but the trick is when they get there how do we use that strength or how do we use that conditioning.

That’s more so important during the season because we are able to manipulate training sessions where we can take some of the stuff we’re using in the wrestling and we can incorporate that into skills sessions, like Axel with his breakdown work.

It’s almost like killing two birds with one stone, we get a conditioning benefit out of it and they get their coaching benefits out of it. That’s the way forward as we try to maximise our time. Everyone wants a piece of the pie, everyone wants a piece of the player’s time and you just can’t keep adding to it. You just can’t keep training more and more and more, it’s about trying to find a common ground.

For example every Wednesday we do conditioning games, they’re fun, the players like them and the guys don’t realise they’re working that hard. But we’re getting a conditioning benefit and Ian Costello is getting his decision making and continuity work so there’s a two pronged attack.

We’ve just managed to get a deal with Catapult, a GPS company who have provided us with over twenty GPS units so we can quantify those conditioning games and we can see exactly what we’re getting out of the players.

Tough times....

I think they say guys like us need a sadistic streak to be a strength & conditioning coach. We try and hide it but I get a grin on my face when we’re running through a session and guys are struggling or guys are breaking, but I know I’ve done my job and I know it’s a bit of an old school mentality but we need a bit of that.

Munster prides itself on work ethic and prides itself on doing more than everyone else and it’s our job to monitor the players doing more than everyone else. But we need to be smarter about doing that because the more we do we don’t want to risk them with injuries and what not.

But that is the culture here, and I could write the best physiological training programme that there is, but I really think there’s a mental aspect to conditioning as well and that’s 50% of what we do.

It’s all about taking players to that dark place, so when they are in a game like Northampton last year and there’s 41 phases in the last few minutes and they’re off their feet and ROG kicks goal there's a perfect example of that feeling. I love seeing something like that because I feel as though in some way we have had an influence on them to go those 41 phases and not break mentally.

Players hate that yes and players thrive in it but you do learn a lot about players from it, and on occasion we sit there on the side-line with a smirk.

Players fronting up.....

I laid down the law before breaking up for off-season, and we set some sessions and tough work for the players to do on their own. We gave them 2 weeks off and I told them to build the guilt, and then they had 3 weeks of work to do on their own before they came back.

I threatened to send guys back to the academy training in Rockwell if they didn’t come back in good shape and that was directed at all the squad. I wanted to and expected to send someone back.

But in the end I was trying to find someone to send just for the sake of dropping someone back because I was that impressed with them ,and now it looks a bit soft but I couldn’t find anyone who hadn’t done the work.

They’ve really come back in good nick and standouts for me would be Stephen Archer, he’s come back in unbelievable shape. Sean Dougall who’s come on board this year looks like from a physical aspect that he’s an impressive athlete and even some of the young guys are fronting up. We had a very tough session last week where academy players Ronan O’Mahony and Corey Hircock stood out so it’s across the board really.

Changes for next season.....

There have been big changes within the Strength & Conditioning dept. and within the whole department. Within mine I’m really happy where we’re at.

I know we’ve only been at it three weeks but we’ve got Aidan O’Connell there, who’s obviously been here a number of years, Will Cuddihy an intern from last year has come on board, Will Douglas who formerly worked with the Welsh Rugby Union side and PJ Wilson who’s done some work with the Cork footballers and come through the academy system helping out there.

I couldn’t be happier with the crew that we have, they’re enthusiastic and have a great work ethic and I think the players are really responding to the personalities so that’s fantastic.

Within the wider group we’re really looking forward to the gaffer (Rob Penney) coming along. We’ve had skype calls with him, and the philosophies we have and what he wants from a strength & conditioning department seem very much aligned and we’re looking forward to working with him and Simon Mannix.

We’re all working really well together and I’m looking forward to the season ahead."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

if parents want to send kids to private schools they should pay the full cost, the State should not pick up the tab for the teachers.

It's cheaper for the State to help prop up a private school rather then have another child in the public school system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Rugby forum folks. no more about schools funding

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Edinburgh (A)
    Treviso (H)
    Ulster (A)
    Dragons (H)
    Ospreys (A)
    Leinster (A)
    =========
    HEC 1
    HEC 2
    =========
    Zebre (H)

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/teams/munster/fixtures.php

Tough start IMO, only 2 home games (both winnable) and all the away games will be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

I see from the below article that Munster are set to announce if and where the single base will be, anyone know anything more about it?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/rugby/munster-coaching-team-to-arrive-at-weekend-558603.html

From the article, CIT seems to be favoured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭phog

1st cut at Munster's and Ireland's fixtures for the coming season. H/Cup dates are best guess as I haven't seen anything official on them yet.

Date Day Time Comp Home Visitors Venue
    10/08/12 Fri 19:30 F St Rochelais Munster Stade Marcel
    17/08/12 Fri 19:00 F Munster Bristol Musgrave Park
    24/08/12 Fri 19:00 F Munster London Irish Musgrave Park
    31 Aug, 1/2 Sep Pro12 Edinburgh Munster Murrayfield
    7/8/9 Sep Pro12 Munster Treviso TBA
    14/15/16 Sep Pro12 Ulster Munster Ravenhill
    21/22/23 Sep Pro12 Munster Dragons TBA
    28/29/30 Sep Pro12 Ospreys Munster Liberty Stadium
    5/6/7 Oct Pro12 Leinster Munster Aviva Stadium
    12/13/14 Oct HEC
    19/20/21 Oct HEC