Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men who still live at home... is it a deal-breaker?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

True, I'm devastated :(.

How youuuu doin? ;)

(makes his move, makes his move)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

py2006 wrote: »
    Seriosuly guys, if anybody asks....you didn't meet on After Hours!! :rolleyes:

Stranger things have happened .............;).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Stranger things have happened .............;).

I'm sure, but not openly admitted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I suppose it would depend on the reason why.

I'm 27 and back living in the family home, having originally moved out when I was 19. I basically had to move back after a long term relationship fell through (ironically just after losing my job when the recession kicked in) and found myself simply unable to afford rent.

I do mostly my own cooking and cleaning, though I admit my mother makes a nice meal for us quite often. Simply because she's the type who prefers to do it herself.

My girlfriend lives in student accommodation during the college term, but moves back in with her parents during the summer. Thankfully she's understanding of my situation, but we plan on getting our own place by the end of the summer.

Now, if it's a guy/girl who simply lives at home because they get pampered and can't be arsed to look after themselves, well then they deserve to be single really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Home for me is not with my parents and when people suggest or ask - "do you go home often", it's not applicable. My parents moved home after i had moved out and as it were I didn't consider the previous home my home either.

Home is where the heart is :p

ps anyone moving home blaming the "current situation" is a lazy shíte I don't care what anyone says. Boy or girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    In these tough times, more and more men in their 20's and 30's are still living with their parents. A lot are doing it out of necessity, not by choice. I'm just wondering do women find this a turn off? I was reading a thread in the ladies lounge where women were complaining over men renting and not having their own house, never mind living at home. :eek: Is it really such a bad thing?

Bit judgemental if some women are like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

In these tough times, more and more men in their 20's and 30's are still living with their parents. A lot are doing it out of necessity, not by choice. I'm just wondering do women find this a turn off? I was reading a thread in the ladies lounge where women were complaining over men renting and not having their own house, never mind living at home. :eek: Is it really such a bad thing?

To be fair, Davey, the opening post/thread topic was about one girl who was reticent to get involved with a man who didn't own his own house - but most, if not all, the replies were posters disagreeing with the views of the person mentioned in the opening post. So, to say 'where women were complaining over men renting and not having their own house' is a gross misrepresentation.

The 'living at home' discussion was a spin off from the original topic, and the comments relating to that varied quite a bit; whether the person living at home had never moved out, or had moved back home played a big part. As did the element of being able to stay over some times.

A few of your threads are about 'what women think' about this, that and the other. I always get the impression you've made up your mind we're (women) one big homogeneous blob of evil, and are seeking to have your shabby impression of us proven correct.

I apologise if that's not the case, and I hope it's not the case - but you do seem to expect the worst, and sometimes appear to have some kind of need to find things to criticise women for, followed by a need to find others to join in with your criticisms.

Please tell me I'm wrong, tell me you know we're not one big homogeneous blob of evil out for all we can get, while gleefully destroying men's confidence. Some of us are actually quite loveable and capable of caring about a person regardless of what they own, or how tall they are, or any of the other generic criticisms that are often scurrilously flung our direction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    A few of your threads are about 'what women think' about this, that and the other. I always get the impression you've made up your mind we're (women) one big homogeneous blob of evil, and are seeking to have your shabby impression of us proven correct. :)

Wow that's a big assumption to make. No I don't see women as a big homogenous blob. There was more than one woman on that thread who had issues with men living at home, and in fairness, far worse things have been said about women on AH than anything I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Wow that's a big assumption to make. No I don't see women as a big homogenous blob. There was more than one woman on that thread who had issues with men living at home, and in fairness, far worse things have been said about women on AH than anything I've said.

It wasn't an assumption - I didn't assume it was the case. I said it was the impression I got, and then I asked you to let me know if I was wrong (and said I hoped I was).

I'm not trying to have a go at you, please believe me when I say that, it's just that you do seem to be genuinely curious about what women think in respect of men they'd be attracted to and men they'd be turned off by, and I find myself wanting to make sure you aren't being influenced negatively, and incorrectly, by those 'far worse things that have been said about women'.

Lots of people's comments are tongue in cheek, taking the piss, old jokes etc. I wouldn't take half of them seriously.

There are, of course, a few barbed and bitter comments sometimes, but I'd ignore them as well. As I said, you do seem to genuinely want to know what women think about matters of the heart and men they'd be attracted to, so I think you're worth responding to, because I'd like you to get a balanced and honest response.

And, hopefully, give you a reason to keep the faith in us women. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I just found a spider running across my bed, thank god a woman wasn't here to see my reaction. Living at home or a mansion on my own she'd of been out the door :(

Back at home from living abroad but it won't be for much longer. No problem bringing a few women back every now again and they don't seem to mind up until the point of the next morning when they usually look like crap and ask where's the bathroom is and they realise they have to walk through the sitting room and meet half the family.

First 2 maybe 3 dates I'd never let a girl pay but after that if she doesn't start producing the euros to fill my belly then it's probably the end unless she's a 10/10 and I want the ride but even then she's pushing it.

Shopaholic you seem like a pretty cool chick if you don't mind me saying so! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

Expecting intelligent conversation in The Ladies Lounge is about as measured as expecting a turd to suddenly turn into a diamond.

Not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

If I meet a guy, and he lives at home..he'll be alright for a shag but definitely not a relationship!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

MrReynholm wrote: »
    Expecting intelligent conversation in The Ladies Lounge is about as measured as expecting a turd to suddenly turn into a diamond.

Not going to happen.

This is in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Not going to happen.

*irony meter explodes*

syndeyfife wrote: »
    If I meet a guy, and he lives at home..he'll be alright for a shag but definitely not a relationship!!

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

This is in AH?
    "I was reading a thread in the ladies lounge where women were complaining over men renting and not having their own house" -OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Not going to happen.

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

UGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

men who STILL live at home??? as in NEVER left?

I just threw up on myself a bit.

Yes. In case my response wasn't clear. Complete dealbreaker.

Get up off your ar$e, get a job, do something, move out, grow up, get a life.

Katgurl wrote: »
    UGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

men who STILL live at home??? as in NEVER left?

I just threw up on myself a bit.

Yes. In case my response wasn't clear. Complete dealbreaker.

Get up off your ar$e, get a job, do something, move out, grow up, get a life.

You make it sound so easy.

• Advertisement

Why?

Because a shag is a shag, but for relationship....not ok!

If im out, and I pull, dont care if he lives at home or not! But if I want something more he'll have to have his own place. Soundproofed preferably ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Spanish men and women move out of their parents home in their 30s. Many of them blame the crisis (which I would accept as an excuse) but that's how it always was. Most men and women I know living at home have jobs and are saving for their mortgage as they see rent as dead money. A cop out if ever I heard one. It's very off-putting (except for the genuine cases) and the craziest part is they see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I just got into a relationship with someone who lives at home, so no, it's not a deal breaker for me.

He has a good job, but not good enough to move out yet as he's saving to go back to college.

It doesn't bother me too much because at least he has the ambition and drive to do something with his life. It's not like he's sitting on his ass doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

My type of woman! Would you mind if he said you have to keep it down the folks wil hear?

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Spanish men and women move out of their parents home in their 30s. Many of them blame the crisis (which I would accept as an excuse) but that's how it always was. Most men and women I know living at home have jobs and are saving for their mortgage as they see rent as dead money. A cop out if ever I heard one. It's very off-putting (except for the genuine cases) and the craziest part is they see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I rent, and I see rent as dead money!!

That said, I rent off my parents....they own their own house and they own 4 apartments. I rent 1 apartment off them(with 2 others)and after 1 year of college I live here for free :D sweeeeeet

My type of woman! Would you mind if he said you have to keep it down the folks wil hear?

He'd have to gag me! :P

That said, I rent off my parents....they own their own house and they own 4 apartments. I rent 1 apartment off them(with 2 others)and after 1 year of college I live here for free :D sweeeeeet

I'm not sure if I've understood this: they'll allow you to live there for free after one year, is that correct?

If so, that's not really too far removed from living at home, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well gosh, why can't we all have it as easy as you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You make it sound so easy.

It's easy for women, if they can find the right lad they don't even have to work.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Well gosh, why can't we all have it as easy as you :rolleyes:

If only you knew how hard my life actually is...

Ill give you a quick summary if you like???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement