Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men who still live at home... is it a deal-breaker?

Options
  • 03-07-2012 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

In these tough times, more and more men in their 20's and 30's are still living with their parents. A lot are doing it out of necessity, not by choice. I'm just wondering do women find this a turn off? Is it really such a bad thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    In these tough times, more and more men in their 20's and 30's are still living with their parents. A lot are doing it out of necessity, not by choice. I'm just wondering do women find this a turn off? Is it really such a bad thing?

Still living and home and getting Mammy to do the washing and cook the meals?

Yes, I'd imagine women would not be impressed by that.

Still living at home through financial neccessity but pulling their weight with money for rent, bills and food and not acting like a little baby?

I'd like to think most sensible women would understand that. However the man would have to have a plan about moving out I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Everybody lives at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I don't.
    I'm homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Well, it cuts down on the amount of cooking and ironing the girlfriend has to do, so I dunno what the problem is.*

*People who have read down this far, I was being ironic like that Jimmy Carr fellow except I pay my taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Girls that live with a group of other female friends are the worst. Going there is like a big eggshell walking festival. I prefer when they live with their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If they never moved out thats a bit sad but if they left home and then had to come back due to financial or relationship breakdown well then thats a different thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

no its not a deal breaker for most people...as were in a long recession and many adults live at home these days,i know a lot of my cousins who are my age and working still do..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Living at home is great!

No need to pay bills, there's always food in the fridge and with all the money you save, you can do so many things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It depends how you do it. You can live at home and be quite independent, and I know many married men who can't/won't cook, clean, do housework etc. That, to me, is worse than living at home but being very independent and paying your way.

Obviously the reason for someone living at home is important too.

But as with most things, the person themselves, and what they're like, is what's most important. Compare: two guys who live at home, pay their way, and are independent. A isn't embarrassed about the situation, and B frets about what women will think of him. I think A would win out over B in the popularity-with-women stakes in a lot of ways.

Unless he's ugly.

And a bit of a d*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I suspect some won't see a lot of $$$ in a guy living in the folks place. House and a car is much more appealing.

Not all of course! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Living at home is great!

No need to pay bills, there's always food in the fridge and with all the money you save, you can do so many things!

Yes this is the bit I don't understand. What's the point in having a bachelor pad if you're always skint and can't afford to take your lady for a night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Definitely not! Surely most women are in the same situation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Yes this is the bit I don't understand. What's the point in having a bachelor pad if you're always skint and can't afford to take your lady for a night out?

Because you can still bring back drunk hoes and have sex with them without worrying about mammy finding out.

as long as there is seperate bedrooms - if they cant understand why you live at home in a recession then there being shallow..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

as long as there is seperate bedrooms - if they cant understand why you live at home in a recession then there being shallow..

What, separate from your parents?

Living in a bedsit with mammy would be a dealbreaker alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of a bachelor pad. You would only bring a girl to yours for the night and that would be it.
    Why would you be taking her out? That's not a player's attitude!;)

i remember as a kid walking into a friends house and they had an open plan space basically it was a very retro lay out and apart from half wall partitions there were no seperate rooms..so i was just asking to make sure..

i remember as a kid walking into a friends house and they had an open plan space basically it was a very retro lay out and apart from half wall partitions there were no seperate rooms..so i was just asking to make sure..

Wow, that sounds awful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

OneArt wrote: »
    Because you can still bring back drunk hoes and have sex with them without worrying about mammy finding out.

But you need money to go out and get the hoes drunk. Plus there's always the option of doing it in public. ;)

Yes I couldn't believe all the women complaining over men not having their own house. What planet are they living on?

no it wasnt really it was like a bungalow mansion on the hill - but of course awful when they got to their teens or early adult hood as it meant no privacy with doors and walls etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Snakeblood wrote: »
    What, separate from your parents?

Exactly what I thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Yes I couldn't believe all the women complaining over men not having their own house. What planet are they living on?

they are living on planet i want everything bridezilla,and in this recession not every one can get what they want youre probably better off without that **** being honest..wait until they grow up and realise they cant have it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Your friend lived in a cult compound!

He was having you on. It was really the supermarket but he pretended it was his house for the laugh to see if you'd fall for it. D'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If they never moved out thats a bit sad but if they left home and then had to come back due to financial or relationship breakdown well then thats a different thing

This was the general opinion in the ladies lounge.

This might come as a shock to you, but some of us actually work and can pay for our own nights out. I have never 'been taken out for the night', I always pay my own way.

I have never 'been taken out for the night', I always pay my own way.

:eek: She's a keeper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I was reading a thread in the ladies lounge where women were complaining over men renting and not having their own house, never mind living at home. :eek:

These are extremely shallow people (usually single for a reason) and are not worth your time of day, so i wouldn't worry about them and not owning your own home!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement