Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    That picture is epic!
    He's like a cross between POC and Harry Potter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Star Bulls loose forward CJ Stander will join Irish team Munster when his contract in Pretoria expires on October 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Star Bulls loose forward CJ Stander will join Irish team Munster when his contract in Pretoria expires on October 31.

Stander was being rumoured on MFs for a while.

Anyone know much about him?

He captained the South Africa Under 20 team that competed in the 2010 IRB Junior World Championship.
    CJ%20Stander_large.JPG

http://www.sarugby.co.za/playerprofile.aspx?id=40443

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Bulls site:
    This will be a first Super Rugby campaign for one of the most talked about loose forwards in the country. The former SA u.20 and SA Schools captain had a great Currie Cup season with the Blue Bulls although he was still a junior player and brings a massive work rate, great rugby brain, impeccable leadership skills and tremendous ability in the loose to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Captained the U20s and was involved with the SA squad this year, as he was singled out as a future star. He is a starter for the Bulls too afaik. Great signing on the face of it. He'll never represent Ireland, but its great to see that we're savvy enough to take advantage of the project player system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Should be strong competition so in the back-row next season.

Brilliant signing. Adds an arrow to our bow that was missing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

From what I understand he is being signed as a project player - I really hate that system. But anyway, good signing. Munster have quite an abundance of decent pros available to them in the backrow, but no really excellent player and from the looks of it this guy may well develop into that.

Wonder why he is leaving SA though.

Also, somewhat disturbing that his favourite film is Law Abiding Citizen...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    From what I understand he is being signed as a project player - I really hate that system. But anyway, good signing. Munster have quite an abundance of decent pros available to them in the backrow, but no really excellent player and from the looks of it this guy may well develop into that.

I hated it! Ridiculous plot

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

Just because he is signed as a 'project player', doesn't mean he actually wants to play for Ireland.

I wonder does his contract have some sort of stipulation committing him to Ireland or something.

I also hate the system.

He's started most games for the Bulls this season, at both 6 and 7, scoring 3 tries.

Here's one of his tries, @2.55 onwards. Doesn't tell you much about him, but at least it gives you a look at the guy.

Hagz wrote: »
    He's started most games for the Bulls this season, at both 6 and 7, scoring 3 tries.

Here's one of his tries, @2.55 onwards. Doesn't tell you much about him, but at least it gives you a look at the guy.

Worst celebration ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Is this confirmed? If it's true, it's a hell of a signing.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Worst celebration ever!

Love that celebration! Probably due to my days of playing NFL street.

ed7890 wrote: »

being reported by a few SA sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Just because he is signed as a 'project player', doesn't mean he actually wants to play for Ireland.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the mix when he signed. He's 22 and hasn't been capped or called up to a proper squad yet. South Africa is a back row factory too so he might wait another 3 years before getting a look in even if he's good enough. Have seen him play a couple of times. Didn't particularly stand out but definitely held his own against some good sides. Think it could be a very shrewd signing. Not the name that some wanted perhaps but someone that they could really use and integrate into the Munster set up. Would like to see him at openside for Munster with POM and DOC2 also there to form a very interesting back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What's Hugh Farrelly going to do now that Munster have the same number of South Africans as Ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Good signing for Munster with a promising future from all accounts, I don't think he'd have gotten caps for the boks as the standard there is so high. SA have bucket loads of young talented backrowers like Kolisi coming through and guys like Brussow excluded.

My own opinion is that Munster should have gone for someone a little bit more wizened and experienced to help offset the loss of Leamy and Wallace rather than a someone who is still wet behind the ears and will need guidance. The downside of that is they'll pushing on age-wise before they become eligible for Ireland. Best of luck to him and Munster.

What's Hugh Farrelly going to do now that Munster have the same number of South Africans as Ulster?

Herring has bumped Ulster up again no?

Probably bitch about McLaughlin's treatment some more too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

emmet02 wrote: »

Herring has bumped Ulster up again no?

Probably bitch about McLaughlin's treatment some more too

Herring is Irish qualified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

ed7890 wrote: »

seems to be.,
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10573.php

vkid wrote: »

"complete their squad"

No more signings then!

Herring is Irish qualified

as is Stander...

Farrelly doesn't mind though, so long as he can moan about Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

as is Stander...

Stander is IQ?! Didn't know that.

But wait who are the Saffers on the two teams? Muller and Pienaar at Ulster and WDP and Botha at Munster... Am I missing someone obvious at Ulster?

as is Stander...

Farrelly doesn't mind though, so long as he can moan about Ulster.

Really? How is he eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

yimrsg wrote: »
    Good signing for Munster with a promising future from all accounts, I don't think he'd have gotten caps for the boks as the standard there is so high. SA have bucket loads of young talented backrowers like Kolisi coming through and guys like Brussow excluded.

My own opinion is that Munster should have gone for someone a little bit more wizened and experienced to help offset the loss of Leamy and Wallace rather than a someone who is still wet behind the ears and will need guidance. The downside of that is they'll pushing on age-wise before they become eligible for Ireland. Best of luck to him and Munster.

Anyone experienced and of the required standard would already have a couple of caps to their name. Stander in coming in with a stature similar to that of POM: A very good club player, a great leader, and a bucket load of potential.

In Penney and Foley we've two former backrows who have proven track records with young players. There is some serious potential for a top notch backrow for the next 10 years in POM, Stander, DOC and Butler. That's not even considering the glut of good club backrows already around the squad.

The backrow situation is looking good alright, the oldest in the squad are now Ronan (30 in September) and Coughlan (32 in December).

oops, meant Project Player in Stander obviously. My bad.

Uncapped => IQ eventually.

• Advertisement

Stander is IQ?! Didn't know that.

But wait who are the Saffers on the two teams? Muller and Pienaar at Ulster and WDP and Botha at Munster... Am I missing someone obvious at Ulster?

Payne?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement