Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

GerM wrote: »
    I’m almost certain that once a player is designated as a project player (which he is) it is part of the deal that they will not take up a call up with their country of birth for the duration of the contract. Not 100% on that but I’m sure I read it somewhere. Regardless, the chances of him getting a call up are pretty much non-existent. He has never played for the Boks, never been called up to a squad and now plays outside of the country. The only guys who are called up whilst playing elsewhere are established internationals such as Botha, Pienaar and James. Stander is clearly a serious talent but he was behind a lot of players thanks to the SA back row factory and the age profile of their current players is quite young.

I read somewhere that he was part of the Boks training squad at the moment. Also said he has discussed this move with Meyer. More than likely the news of his move to Munster came out now because his hand was being forced with the offer of a 'cheap' Bok cap.

edit: reference is here:
    The loose forward was identified by Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer as part of a group of players who have been training along with the Bok squad – in essence to gain experience and players who Meyer believes will become Boks within the next year or so. That group also includes the likes of Stormers Frans Malherbe and Siya Kolisi.

http://www.sportscentral.co.za/stander-quits-sa-for-ireland/18736/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

WDP played for South Africa when they came up here. It's not uncommon for them to use players up here, it's more tri nations squads they pick from their home based players.

From what I've heard from South Africans I know he is highly rated and could well be capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Springbok players are paid between €70k and €120k per year as a basic salary. Some super rugby players are getting €35k per year. I'd say, given his age etc, Stander is getting less than €70k and if Munster are offering him around €200k (I don't know I'm just guessing) that could be 3 times the amount he gets in South Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

WDP played for South Africa when they came up here. It's not uncommon for them to use players up here, it's more tri nations squads they pick from their home based players.

From what I've heard from South Africans I know he is highly rated and could well be capped.

WDP just got the one cap that time didn't he. Was he potentially a player who could have become eligible for Ireland before he got that cap, or was he already discounted because he played for the Emerging Springboks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I’m almost certain that once a player is designated as a project player (which he is) it is part of the deal that they will not take up a call up with their country of birth for the duration of the contract.

Surely that would at least be against IRB regs, no? Its essentially no different to stopping your players accepting international call-ups which isn't allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

jm08 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that he was part of the Boks training squad at the moment. Also said he has discussed this move with Meyer. More than likely the news of his move to Munster came out now because his hand was being forced with the offer of a 'cheap' Bok cap.

edit: reference is here:

http://www.sportscentral.co.za/stander-quits-sa-for-ireland/18736/

Training them but he wasn't part of the actual squad. Same way the likes of Jack McGrath and Andrew Conway were training with the Irish squad this year.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Surely that would at least be against IRB regs, no? Its essentially no different to stopping your players accepting international call-ups which isn't allowed.

I used the word deal instead of contract because I doubt it would be stipulated in writing and with good reason as you point out! A gentleman's agreement, if you will. Similar to Strauss supposedly turning down an opportunity to train with the Boks and training with Ireland well ahead of being IQ. All pie in the sky stuff anyway. I'd be shocked if he was ever called up during his contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I genuinely can't believe he's turned down the chance to be a Bok, so I suspect he'll do two years here, earn enough for a farm back home and head back in time to challenge for the SA RWC squad. And tbf, he'd be right to do it, buying in players for our International team is disgraceful.

I genuinely can't believe he's turned down the chance to be a Bok, so I suspect he'll do two years here, earn enough for a farm back home and head back in time to challenge for the SA RWC squad. And tbf, he'd be right to do it, buying in players for our International team is disgraceful.

Couldn't agree more. It suits at the moment that he is eligible to play for Ireland, but I do hope he ends up playing for SA. Its really perfect timing for him - he probably wouldn't get much gametime with the Boks for another year or so, so its a good time for him to move abroad rather than later in his career when he more than likely will have a family to think about as well.

Training them but he wasn't part of the actual squad. Same way the likes of Jack McGrath and Andrew Conway were training with the Irish squad this year.

... or Simon Zebo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Teferi wrote: »
    Lelantos wrote: »
    Even the most ardent Leinster fan would recognise that if Isa hadn't been capped by Fiji, he would have almost certainly been an AB.

I literally have no idea why being an ardent Leinster fan has anything to do with this sentence? It is clear for everyone to see that Isa would have been a hugely successful All Black. Their loss have very much been Leinsters gain.
    Because all I hear at times is, Oh if only Ida hadn't played for Fiji, he would have qualified for Ireland & have been a great boost to the team. Are you telling me you have never heard that line trotted out ad nauseam?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Because all I hear at times is, Oh if only Ida hadn't played for Fiji, he would have qualified for Ireland & have been a great boost to the team. Are you telling me you have never heard that line trotted out ad nauseam?

You writing it is the first time I have ever heard of anyone saying this ever. You sure you're just not making it up?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone has ever said that considering the only reason Isa doesn't play international rugby is because he is tied to Fiji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

But what has that got to do with 'ardent Leinster fans'? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

You writing it is the first time I have ever heard of anyone saying this ever. You sure you're just not making it up?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone has ever said that considering the only reason Isa doesn't play international rugby is because he is tied to Fiji.

It's been said numerous times on this forum.

Hagz wrote: »

Where?

I'd imagine as a joke, wishful thinking or by someone with no knowledge of rugby.

None of these have anything to do with "ardent Leinster fans".

Where?

I'd imagine as a joke, wishful thinking or by someone with no knowledge of rugby.

None of these have anything to do with "ardent Leinster fans".

Dunno/can't remember/don't care enough to find out.

:rolleyes:

But what has that got to do with 'ardent Leinster fans'? :confused:
    Ok, any proper Leinster fan knows that Isa would never have been able to play for Ireland. Yet I still see it being written that if he had not played for Fijihe could have played for Ireland. It's simply not true, the AB's have a habit of giving out caps to tie players to them. Whether or not they are good enough.

You have to be in a very small minority there, it gets trotted out every so often on boards, twitter, even in print journalism

Ok, any proper Leinster fan knows that Isa would never have been able to play for Ireland. Yet I still see it being written that if he had not played for Fijihe could have played for Ireland. It's simply not true, the AB's have a habit of giving out caps to tie players to them. Whether or not they are good enough.

Factually, if he didn't play for Fiji he could have played for Ireland.

Regardless, he wouldn't have and he would have been capped by NZ and it would not have been just to prevent another nation capping him. Henry spoke in the past about how he would have like to have used Nacewa in his team. Anyone who mentions that he'd be playing for Ireland is, I'd be sure, doing so in a completely fictional sense and not seriously. I'm sure they realise the only reason he's actually here is because of that cap because to think otherwise would be absolutely ridiculously naive given the amount of coverage that cap for Fiji has received and Nacewa's efforts to still be eligible for NZ.

• Advertisement

You have to be in a very small minority there, it gets trotted out every so often on boards, twitter, even in print journalism

I still don't believe you but if it has been in print media I'd imagine it was in a what-if scenario not someone actually rueing the day Isa was capped by Fiji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The internet is a pretty serious business alright.

I've never seen it written or heard it said in a serious way, it's always a 'imagine if' sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

on the plus side Isa's daughters can definately play rugby for Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

bamboozle wrote: »
    on the plus side Isa's daughters can definately play rugby for Ireland!

With John Hayes' daughters too, we could have the makings of a decent team there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And corrected numerous times. Some people don't know Isa's background, some people do. Big deal. What their provincial persuasion is, well that's completely irrelevant. Any longer term rugby fan knows what the deal is, some people a little newer to the game might not. It's no great shakes either way.

molloyjh wrote: »
    And corrected numerous times. Some people don't know Isa's background, some people do. Big deal. What their provincial persuasion is, well that's completely irrelevant. Any longer term rugby fan knows what the deal is, some people a little newer to the game might not. It's no great shakes either way.

Thanks..

molloyjh wrote: »

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I really think Hanrahan could push past Keatley is he plays ten next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I really think Hanrahan could push past Keatley is he plays ten next year

Theres not much between them at present. I think Hanrahan needs games and time to improve his game. He makes a few errors in every game and thats what he needs to work on. Simple errors can be the winning or losing of games. Still, theres not many 19 year olds with his talent and I'm looking forward to seeing him play. In 2 or 3 seasons he'll be first choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement