Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think people could be writing him off too early although he won't get as much gametime next season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Didn't see anything of Barnes this season but I was impressed by what I saw of him the season before. He's probably 21/22 now so would want to start putting his hand up for selection more in the next season or two if he wants to stay at Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Barnes seems like a good tackler but I personally just don't think he has that top level quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

danthefan wrote: »
    Barnes seems like a good tackler but I personally just don't think he has that top level quality.

I'd go along with that.

Don't think he's international class but is a good pro12 player and could be a decent HC option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Teferi wrote: »
    Didn't see anything of Barnes this season but I was impressed by what I saw of him the season before. He's probably 21/22 now so would want to start putting his hand up for selection more in the next season or two if he wants to stay at Munster.
    He's 23 later on this year. He has been putting his hand up for selection and will get much more gametime in the big games next season IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

ormond lad wrote: »
    He's 23 later on this year. He has been putting his hand up for selection and will get much more gametime in the big games next season IMO

I'm repeating a post from earlier, but will he get a jersey in the big games ahead of Downey, Laulala and Earls? Especially now that Earls has declared his preference for centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

I'm repeating a post from earlier, but will he get a jersey in the big games ahead of Downey, Laulala and Earls? Especially now that Earls has declared his preference for centre?
    New head coach and new backs coach. we dont really know what either wants in a centre so he may get a jersey in the big games

So if that is the squad for next season, what do you expect/want to see for HC matches and big pro12 games?? Would you expect Stander or POM to be 6/7?

I'd go for something like this

15. Jones (Hopefully pre-season will be good for him but Hurley is always an option)
    14. Howlett
    13. Laulala (Possibly Earls depending on form)
    12. Downey (If Earls is playing 13, Laulala might go 12)
    11. Earls (And I'd expect Zebo to come in on the wing)
    10. O'Gara (But Keatley to start a few aswell, maybe force himself in)
    9. Murray
    8. Coughlan
    7. Stander
    6. POM
    5. O'Connell
    4. Ryan
    3. Botha
    2. Sherry/Varley
    1. Du Preez (a couple of games for Kilcoyne)

16. Sherry/Varley
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Archer/Ryan
    19. O'Callaghan/Nagle
    20. Ronan/DOC2/Butler (I'm actually not sure who is most likely, I'd like to see the younger guys given a go)
    21. Stringer
    22. Keatley/ROG
    23. Zebo/LOD/Hurley

Hopefully Hanrahan will get a couple of outings at 12 in the pro12, I'd like to see LOD start at least one big game, think he's a great prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

Is it possible Earls may play at FB next year? Jones is ok but not good enough to work around his injuries so much, i.e. Ferris, IMO. Zebo and Howlett on the wings with Downey and Laulala in the centres. Obviously the centres form would be assessed on arrival and Earls go to 13 if one isn't up to it. I'd prefer that to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Teferi wrote: »
    He's aggressive, not afraid to tackle & knows how to score, always looking for the opportunistic try. 22yo, has plenty of time to ease into the team. Downey isn't a long term option @ 32

• Advertisement

KJY wrote: »
    Is it possible Earls may play at FB next year? Jones is ok but not good enough to work around his injuries so much, i.e. Ferris, IMO. Zebo and Howlett on the wings with Downey and Laulala in the centres. Obviously the centres form would be assessed on arrival and Earls go to 13 if one isn't up to it. I'd prefer that to be honest

Unlikely I'd say. While I think he's a very good player and could fit there, he's better in the centre and on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Unlikely I'd say. While I think he's a very good player and could fit there, he's better in the centre and on the wing.

I know it's unlikely but I'd doubt if Jones will ever come anywhere near his pre-RWC form. He was very poor when he came back this year IMO

And if it was a choice between Hurley at full back and Earls on the wing or Earls at FB and Zebo on the wing, I'd go for the latter

KJY wrote: »
    I know it's unlikely but I'd doubt if Jones will ever come anywhere near his pre-RWC form. He was very poor when he came back this year IMO

And if it was a choice between Hurley at full back and Earls on the wing or Earls at FB and Zebo on the wing, I'd go for the latter

You might be right.

Of course don't forget LOD, apparently he prefers full-back. Very good under a high ball.

And I do rate Hurley as a full-back, his ability to offload in the tackle is genuinely brilliant. Best player in the team at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Luke Fitz declared his preference for FB a few years ago, how many games has played there since, like all other professional players Earls will play where he's selected to play.

Last season Barnes had 5 H/C caps and 18 Pro12 (I know, Munster were ravaged by injury), he was injured for at least 5 more games where he may have been selected and he scroed 5 tries.

His H/C games seemed to have been a drop in form for him but I thought he aquitted himself well in the Avivia when he came on for Earls on the wing.

It's hard to know how Penney and the new coaches will go about their team selections but if Barnes gets a similar run of Pro12 games this season and he can build on it for H/C selection my guess will be he'll be very happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

New head coach and new backs coach. we dont really know what either wants in a centre so he may get a jersey in the big games

I'm sorry, I'm not having a go at Barnes but nothing I have seen from him suggests he has the ability or potential to displace any of the three centres previously named for the HC matches. He is primarily a 13 as well, no? That means he's up against Laulala and Earls. It ain't going to happen, barring injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I really like Barnes. I'd happily have him start on the wing ahead of Hurley or Murphy tbh.

Anyhow, the really exciting thing about this season is it's all up for grabs. Can't wait for it to come around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I really like Barnes. I'd happily have him start on the wing ahead of Hurley or Murphy tbh.

Anyhow, the really exciting thing about this season is it's all up for grabs. Can't wait for it to come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What happens if Stander is capped by South Africa in the championship?

What happens if Stander is capped by South Africa in the championship?

He becomes NIE, so I'd assume as he's a project player then his contract would be similar to all other project players contracts and covers off the player being offered a home country cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

I'm sorry, I'm not having a go at Barnes but nothing I have seen from him suggests he has the ability or potential to displace any of the three centres previously named for the HC matches. He is primarily a 13 as well, no? That means he's up against Laulala and Earls. It ain't going to happen, barring injuries.

I wouldnt be surprised if he falls off the munster radar this season. Earls, Lualala will be the main 13's. Wouldnt be surprised to see Hanrahan & Dineen get some game time. One of the most impressive players i saw in the AIL last season was Corey Hircock, he's got far more ability than Deasy, Dineen & Barnes.

wouldnt be surprised if the new coach tries out Earls or even Keatley at 15 in an effort to include Zebo.

Saw Keatley recently, he's twice the size of the lad who played AIL for clontarf 4 seasons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Earls and Dougie are considered wingers, Zebo won't start.

fyp

phog wrote: »
    He becomes NIE, so I'd assume as he's a project player then his contract would be similar to all other project players contracts and covers off the player being offered a home country cap.

Would he still count as a project player? That's not very smart. Surely he would revert to a typical NIE rather than a "+1?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

agreed, however for back 3 players if munster are considering zebo, dougie, earls, hurley, O'Dea and an injury plagued it may make sense to see a back 3 of Dougie, Earls and Zebo....

in saying that O'Dea has a bit of class about him...

Would he still count as a project player? That's not very smart. Surely he would revert to a typical NIE rather than a "+1?"

In my view his contract would cease or at least then become one of the NIEs and take his chances in that group.

Surely it's included as part of being a project player that if they get capped for their home country then they are of no use as a porject player.

In my view his contract would cease or at least then become one of the NIEs and take his chances in that group.

Surely it's included as part of being a project player that if they get capped for their home country then they are of no use as a porject player.

Nah you couldnt just cut a guys contract for playing for his country ;p !

Maybe just have him counted as a normal NIE and allow Munster the one extra for the season.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the Boks cap him against the Argies or something.

If he is coming over as a project player I think that is just weird.

Our greatest depth is at backrow. We don't need another one and it's not like he'll have an easier time of breaking into the team here than in SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I’m almost certain that once a player is designated as a project player (which he is) it is part of the deal that they will not take up a call up with their country of birth for the duration of the contract. Not 100% on that but I’m sure I read it somewhere. Regardless, the chances of him getting a call up are pretty much non-existent. He has never played for the Boks, never been called up to a squad and now plays outside of the country. The only guys who are called up whilst playing elsewhere are established internationals such as Botha, Pienaar and James. Stander is clearly a serious talent but he was behind a lot of players thanks to the SA back row factory and the age profile of their current players is quite young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Nah you couldnt just cut a guys contract for playing for his country ;p !

Maybe just have him counted as a normal NIE and allow Munster the one extra for the season.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the Boks cap him against the Argies or something.
    They could well hand him a cap to stop him becoming Irish qualified. The AB's have been doing it for years to stop players playing for the islands. Laulala & Tuitupou being the obvious cases.Even the most ardent Leinster fan would recognise that if Isa hadn't been capped by Fiji, he would have almost certainly been an AB.

• Advertisement

Lelantos wrote: »
    Even the most ardent Leinster fan would recognise that if Isa hadn't been capped by Fiji, he would have almost certainly been an AB.

I literally have no idea why being an ardent Leinster fan has anything to do with this sentence? It is clear for everyone to see that Isa would have been a hugely successful All Black. Their loss have very much been Leinsters gain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement