Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Payne?

Nu Zilund.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Payne?

Well if you don't count Stander then you can't count Payne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Stander is IQ?! Didn't know that.

But wait who are the Saffers on the two teams? Muller and Pienaar at Ulster and WDP and Botha at Munster... Am I missing someone obvious at Ulster?

No he isn't. He will be on 31st October 2015 if he's still about then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Stander is IQ?! Didn't know that.

But wait who are the Saffers on the two teams? Muller and Pienaar at Ulster and WDP and Botha at Munster... Am I missing someone obvious at Ulster?

Wannenburg might have been included...has Terblanche left??

The backrow situation is looking good alright, the oldest in the squad are now Ronan (30 in September) and Coughlan (32 in December).

It looks good for the future...but as for right now, it depends on how good Stander is at the moment. Hopefully it'll all work out.

Terblanche has retired and Wannenburg is gone to France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You'd wonder if Stander's arrival means Barry O'Mahoney isn't signing. With Dougall coming as well that's a lot of backrows.

Payne?
    Hagz wrote: »
    Nu Zilund.
    Well if you don't count Stander then you can't count Payne!

Christ it's been a long day. Someone please correct any of this if I'm still wrong at this stage!

Ulster

Payne (P)
    Herring (IQ - along lines of Court)
    Pienaar (NIQ)
    Muller (NIQ)
    Afoa (NIQ)

Munster
    Stander (P)
    Botha (NIQ)
    WdP (NIQ)
    Lualala (NIQ)
    Howlett (NIQ)

Leinster

Strauss (P)
    Nacewa (NIQ)
    VdM (NIQ)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

You'd wonder if Stander's arrival means Barry O'Mahoney isn't signing. With Dougall coming as well that's a lot of backrows.

We would have BOM, Ronan, TOD, Dougall and Stander/POM all as 7s. Pretty crazy really.

Christ it's been a long day. Someone please correct any of this if I'm still wrong at this stage!

Ulster

Payne (P)
    Pienaar (NIQ)
    Muller (NIQ)
    Afoa (NIQ)

Munster
    Stander (P)
    Botha (NIQ)
    WdP (NIQ)
    Lualala (NIQ)
    Howlett (NIQ)

Leinster

Strauss (P)
    Nacewa (NIQ)
    VdM (NIQ)

You might as well take Strauss off the list, he's IQ before the AIs, essentially he's now available for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

The Saffas are not happy with Stander signing for Munster. One poster wrote..
    The guy is only 22, he's a future star and starting week in week out for the bulls. He is the best tackler in SA and probably all SR and was/is destined to be a bok. Only mainstays such as Alberts, Burger, Spies, Vermuleun and other nailed on youngster such as Coetzee & Kolisi look like they will challenge him in future for a regular bok jersey.

On a side note, the average age of the Munster team has really gone down in the last 2 seasons.

• Advertisement

profitius wrote: »
    The Saffas are not happy with Stander signing for Munster. One poster wrote..

On a side note, the average age of the Munster team has really gone down in the last 2 seasons.

Sounds good to me. The best tackler in SA part, in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

The guy is only 22, he's a future star and starting week in week out for the bulls. He is the best tackler in SA and probably all SR and was/is destined to be a bok. Only mainstays such as Alberts, Burger, Spies, Vermuleun and other nailed on youngster such as Coetzee & Kolisi look like they will challenge him in future for a regular bok jersey.

I'm a regular Super Rugby viewer and tbh, CJ Stander is as good a prospect as any that SA have had in recent years. He lost out on the starting 6 jersey for the series against England to Coetzee by the toss-up of a coin i'd reckon.

On a side note, is Pierre Spies possibly the worlds most over-rated player?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. The best tackler in SA part, in particular.

Munster are in desperate need of some ball carrying in their backrow though.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Munster are in desperate need of some ball carrying in their backrow though.

It's true...but I doubt he's a terrible carrier. I have no idea what he's like in that regard but generally South African back rows are all well able to carry.

And POM should be working on that part of his game, he's by no means bad but he can improve. And Coughlan is pretty good already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Iron Hide wrote: »
    On a side note, is Pierre Spies possibly the worlds most over-rated player?

No. So many people have called him overrated that he is no longer overrated (He does suck though). It's sort of like how John Hayes won the unsung hero award a few years in a row (surely unsung hero award is an oxymoron anyway).

Ulster

Payne (P)
    Pienaar (NIQ)
    Muller (NIQ)
    Afoa (NIQ)

Munster
    Stander (P)
    Botha (NIQ)
    WdP (NIQ)
    Lualala (NIQ)
    Howlett (NIQ)

Leinster

Strauss (P)
    Nacewa (NIQ)
    VdM (NIQ)

Seems right to me.

So if Munster come up against Ulster again this season then we should all expect Hugh Farrelly to write an article about how if Munster win it'll be bad for Irish rugby!

Browsing a few pages, a lot of SA fans are upset Stander is leaving. That can only be a good omen!

Unfortunately he won't be available until the conclusion of the Currie Cup.

Munster can always cross their fingers that him leaving might piss off the bulls management and they might consider an early release.

As long as he gets here before the AIs, otherwise he's effectively increasing the amount of time it'll take for him to qualify by 3 months!

A great young back row Munster have now. Maybe a little lacking in the short term but full of potential.

Just saw it on MFs, Munster now have a BJ, CJ and JJ. Where's the DJ? :D

dj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Where's the DJ? :D

Could be the next shock signing!?

Oxegen-2-02_Lib_626007s.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    Could be the next shock signing!?

Oxegen-2-02_Lib_626007s.jpg

jesus I have an image of Mark Robson from Sky saying:

"Here comes Cian Healy, also known as DJC (DJ Church). If you remove the D and invert the JC, you get CJ Stander's first name"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

"Here comes Cian Healy, also known as DJC (DJ Church). If you remove the D and invert the JC, you get CJ Stander's first name"

"So 'C' stands for 'CJ'. What does the extra J stand for?"
    "That's a typo."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think Danny Barnes could have a big year. The guy is almost the forgotten man of the group of promising young Irish backs that have emerged

I think the style of "attack" we played last year wasn't suited to him so hopefully Penney can get him improving again

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I think Danny Barnes could have a big year. The guy is almost the forgotten man of the group of promising young Irish backs that have emerged

I think the style of "attack" we played last year wasn't suited to him so hopefully Penney can get him improving again
    Is he going to play ahead of Downey, Laulala and Earls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

True actually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

and i'd expect Dineen & Hanrahan to jump ahead of him in the queue next season.

Yeah Barnes may not get much gametime next season, remember his time in the HEC team last season was down to Earls being injured (went off against Leinster in the Aviva, I was there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

Just saw it on MFs, Munster now have a BJ, CJ and JJ. Where's the DJ? :D

dj.jpg

the DJs a leinster man:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Fishooks12 wrote: »

ban please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement