Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Saracens to possibly move their home game with Munster to Boston.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/munster-agreeable-to-sarries-us-trip-197228.html

That would be a huge advantage to us

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd hate to be a Saracens fan!

What's the weather like in Boston in December/Jan?

I'd imagine pretty cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/munster-agreeable-to-sarries-us-trip-197228.html

Edinburgh and Racing Metro won't be happy with that. With the Irish in Boston it's almost handing Munster a 4th home game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If Munster marketed it right it'd be a big draw for all Irish rugby fans in New England area, which makes it even stranger Saracens would look to move it.

Even though I was hoping to go to the game in London, I'd love to see Munster (and Irish rugby) connect with the Irish fans in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

You would think that would be suicidal, I mean BOSTON of all places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

After last years attempt to go to South Africa I'm starting to think Pinky and the Brain are running Saracens and this is just their latest hair brained schemes to take over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its seems they're more interested in growing the brand than anything else. In that sense you've got to applaud them for thinking outside the box. I don't think Mark McCall will thank them for moving it to the most Irish city in the USA.

Tox56 wrote: »
    You would think that would be suicidal, I mean BOSTON of all places

Boston is a very "Irish" city, or at least, a city that's extremely proud of it's Irish roots, but any of the large US cities on the East coast would have some Irish presence.

The question is, are the IRFU good enough at what they do to sell the game to people who view themselves as part-Irish but may never have heard of either Munster or rugby?

Boston is a very "Irish" city, or at least, a city that's extremely proud of it's Irish roots, but any of the large US cities on the East coast would have some Irish presence.

The question is, are the IRFU good enough at what they do to sell the game to people who view themselves as part-Irish but may never have heard of either Munster or rugby?

It won't be up to the IRFU or Munster. It'll be up to Saracens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Its a great opportunity for Munster and Irish rugby to promote the game there. I'd say Garret Fitzgerald is more interested in the quick buck though. I posted the Irish Examiner link on another forum and someone commented that he sounded very greedy and they could do with a PR man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Soon as you convince the 'American-Irish' that it's Irish enough they'll jump on the bandwagon like no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sarries must really hate playing at Wembley?

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Of course it's up to the IRFU. You think Saracens are going to get on to every Irish group in New England about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

there are no actual quotes mentioning Boston or the USA

the quote form Garret refers to expecting saracens to plan moving the game "somewhere"

any suggestion where the author got the US idea from?

profitius wrote: »
    Its a great opportunity for Munster and Irish rugby to promote the game there. I'd say Garret Fitzgerald is more interested in the quick buck though. I posted the Irish Examiner link on another forum and someone commented that he sounded very greedy and they could do with a PR man.

Garret Fitz is misunderstood, were he greedy he'd have done the logical thing and shut down Musgrave a decade ago,. We train and play in lower standard facilities in Cork at a fair loss.

Ideally Musgrave would be a 20,000 capacity stadium but until we can get there it makes little sense to play there.

Of course it's up to the IRFU. You think Saracens are going to get on to every Irish group in New England about this?

If it's the Saracens home game they will be in charge of promotion. Regardless of whether it is in a City populated by ex pats or not

If it's the Saracens home game they will be in charge of promotion. Regardless of whether it is in a City populated by ex pats or not

The IRFU can certainly promote it, what's to stop them?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So the IRFU aren't going to promote a Munster match in Boston?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭phog

TBH, I rckon if Saracens move the game it will be to SA, though Boston would be great for the expats.

It was the away game we were talking about booking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Can't see any club being forced to travel outside of the erc to play the game. If Munster are against it, its prob a non runner

• Advertisement

MRSC membership update for the coming season.
    Following the renewal and new membership joining period in April we are delighted to inform members that the Supporters Club has once again maintained a membership base of over 9,500 adult members for the 2012/2013 season ahead.

Our Full Membership has grown to 6,272 with the club having secured an increased allocation of Heineken Cup season tickets. This is a positive step towards our goal of 10,000 MRSC full members.

The continued financial support of MRSC members has been vital allowing us to contribute €140k to the Munster Academy this past season, along with a further contribution of €260k to the senior squad.

Season ticket sales have again been strong with members purchasing 8,600 season tickets for the RaboDirect PRO12 for the 2012/2013 campaign.

We would like to thank you the members for your continued support and hope you enjoy the coming season. With some exciting matches ahead against Edinburgh Rugby, Saracens and Racing Metro in the Heineken Cup groups stages to look forward to, it will hopefully be an enjoyable and successful year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is it just me or does 8,600 season tickets sold doesn't sound great? What are the figures usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Is it just me or does 8,600 season tickets sold doesn't sound great? What are the figures usually?

Seeing as I can't see any info on the Munster Rugby website in relation to season tickets I wouldn't be surprised to see a low number of Season ticket holders.

That said don't the season tickets just cover the rabo games? without the HEC games you aren't really going to get a huge number especially with games being split between the 2 stadiums

That said don't the season tickets just cover the rabo games? without the HEC games you aren't really going to get a huge number especially with games being split between the 2 stadiums

Full Members can buy HEC tickets

I can't see any obvious link for last season but the year before (2010/2011):

3,253 Full members

1,483 associate members purchased combined season.

They will have priority over the 3,345 associate members with single-venue season tickets, who in turn will have priority over the 3,288 associate members without season ticket.

so not that different

Comparison to previous years
    For 2008/9 Season:
    Full Members 3,023 Associate Members 6,596 Total 9,619

For 2009/10
    Full Members 3,224 Associate Members 8,126 Total 11,350

For 2010/11
    Full Members 3,253 Associate Members 8,116 Total 11,369

I think, this season Full members paid €65 and Assoc members paid €30 membership fee.

edited to add, these are members not season ticket holders.

people can also buy a season ticket for one venue (e.g. Thomond only)

they don't have to buy the combined

Members also get a discount for games so many people might become a member and just buy tickets to individual games

8,600 is about a third of the capacity at Thomond

The ticket allocation to sponsors and clubs is on top of that

phog wrote: »
    Comparison to previous years

that's the number of members rather than number of season tickets sold

Seeing as I can't see any info on the Munster Rugby website in relation to season tickets I wouldn't be surprised to see a low number of Season ticket holders.

tbf Leinster had soemthing like 12,500 season ticket holders in recent years; given the difference in population and split venue issue etc. I think the Munster numbers compare well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Think it's just a sign of the times really, I'm sure when the economic situation improves the season ticket numbers will improve also. I know I'm not the only one that couldn't afford to renew the full membership this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement