Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Former Munster player Will Chambers is in a spot of bother health wise after returning back to the Melbourne Storm (Rugby league), he only played 10 games if that for Munster from memory, at 24 he could have had a decent Union career in front of him.
    Best of luck to him.

"Melbourne centre Will Chambers could have died from a rare blood clotting disorder that has stalled his NRL career indefinitely.Chambers will be sidelined until he recovers from ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia) which is an auto-immune disorder.
    The only symptoms he had of the illness were some red dot rashes that appeared in the 24 hours following the Storm's win over the Warriors on Sunday.
    The Storm medical staff sent the 24-year-old for blood tests which discovered the rare disorder and he was rushed to hospital for treatment over 48 hours.
    According to Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi, if Chambers had ignored the symptoms and trained he may have suffered internal bleeding which could have ultimately been fatal.
    "Blood platelets are required for clotting and when you have low levels when you get a bruise or a cut there's no protection so you just bleed and if you continue to internally bleed it can go to your brain which can be fatal."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Jeez. Good catch by the medics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Lucky lucky boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

My god, he was lucky it was picked up, hope he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

tolosenc wrote: »

Jeez, doesn't look too impressed. Probably misses the glamour of Musgrave Park in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/2012/0612/324658-draw-made-for-heineken-cup-pool-stages/

Pool 1: Munster, Edinburgh, Saracens, Racing Metro 92

Happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Edinburgh were good this season if not spectacular. But I think next season they will be better.

Saracens are a decent Premiership outfit but we should have enough for them.

Racing blow hot and cold. Let's hope we catch them when they're cold.

If Penney has his sh!t together, we should win that group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

It's about the same in terms of difficulty as last years group IMO. Hopefully we won't make such hard work of it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/2012/0612/324658-draw-made-for-heineken-cup-pool-stages/

Happy with that!

No superstar teams but no italians either. Edinburgh will be tough and a lot will depend on the mood Saracens and Racing Metro are in re their domestic leagues. If they see the HEC as a distraction they mightn't be too bothered but if they go all out for it then it could be a right ding dong group of four fairly evenly matched teams. If we play like we did for the last couple of months of last season we could get turned over by any one of those. I would say only one team will get out of that group.

Leinster and Clermont. After this year's semi Clermont will move hell and high water to beat them home and away. One of those will be sweating on a second place slot and will need tryfests against Scarlets and Exeter. Either way you could find that being the 3rd or 4th ranked top team may be better than being 1st or 2nd and getting Leinster/Clermont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10555.php

Niall O'Donovan Appointed Team Manager

12 June 2012, 1:02 pm
    By The Editor

Munster announced today the appointment of Niall O'Donovan as their Team Manager and will take over the role from Shaun Payne who returns home to South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

ormond lad wrote: »

By The Editor

Munster announced today the appointment of Niall O'Donovan as their Team Manager and will take over the role from Shaun Payne who returns home to South Africa.

good appointment that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ormond lad wrote: »

By The Editor

Good luck to Shaun Payne in his future, what a great servant for Munster both on and off the field.

Donovan knows most of the Munster players so his appointment makes sense I suppose, however it's another "jobs for the old boys" appointment perhaps...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a funny appointment, I'm not saying a bad appointment far from it, but considering he was their forwards coach and from that link it says he was the A teams forwards coach and team manager I do wonder what Foley thinks of it.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a funny appointment, I'm not saying a bad appointment far from it, but considering he was their forwards coach and from that link it says he was the A teams forwards coach and team manager I do wonder what Foley thinks of it.

Team Manager's role is 100% different to any of the coaching roles, tbh, cant see Foley having an issue.

Happy with that!

Happy enough but no great gimmes in there, we've never had a Scottish team and now that we do it's Edinburgh who's on an upward curve.

All three teams are based in Capital cities so should make travel arrangements a tad easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

phog wrote: »
    Team Manager's role is 100% different to any of the coaching roles, tbh, cant see Foley having an issue.

Exactly, Foley would have no interest in the team manager role.

Head coach on the other hand...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

phog wrote: »

Happy with that!

Happy enough but no great gimmes in there, we've never had a Scottish team and now that we do it's Edinburgh who's on an upward curve.

All three teams are based in Capital cities so should make travel arrangements a tad easier.
    Racing Metro fired Mannix as their backs coach, so that should add a little bit of an edge to that particular fixture!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Lelantos wrote: »
    Racing Metro fired Mannix as their backs coach, so that should add a little bit of an edge to that particular fixture!

He was loved by the players and fans so I doubt it would add much spice.

Lelantos wrote: »

He was loved by the players and fans so I doubt it would add much spice.
    I meant him personally & Berbizier. Def no love lost there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It was always my understanding that the team manager looked after the logistics involved in running the team, i.e. ensuring travel arrangements are made, kit is available, players are informed of schedules, rather than playing side of things.

Clareman wrote: »
    It was always my understanding that the team manager looked after the logistics involved in running the team, i.e. ensuring travel arrangements are made, kit is available, players are informed of schedules, rather than playing side of things.

Yeah, I think that was the role played by previous managers, a role that Niallo previously filled after Brian O'Brien took over the Irish job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Clareman wrote: »

Usually he's also a go-between between the players and the management, a guy the players can chat to about issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

Munster showed an operating loss of €1m at last nights AGM according to the Evening Echo in Cork.

Anyone worried?

Munster showed an operating loss of €1m at last nights AGM according to the Evening Echo in Cork.

Anyone worried?

No, not particularly.

Would hope that they eat into that loss on an ongoing basis and return to profitability in a few years. It's a huge business but take managing.

Anyone worried?

depends on their cash flow situation, profit/loss never tells the whole story.

Anyone worried?
    In these times I would think all 4 provinces will post a loss. The IRFU will start to tighten things up, starting with central contracts. I think Luke Fitz is the first high profile casualty of this. Offered a much reduced contract, and when he fails to sign, the offer is withdrawn. I expect to see a lot more of this to-ing & fro-ing over the next few years in an effort to cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

depends on their cash flow situation, profit/loss never tells the whole story.

Looks to me to be a paper loss - €1m owed to IRFU for Thomond Park (which the IRFU owns 50% of)!

Think the IRFU are feeling the pinch more than anything else and want their money back. Saw where Fitzgerald said that they hoped to talk to the IRFU shortly about the loan repayment (which will be more than likely after the IRFU have published their Annual Report).;)

Just moving figures from one column to another one.

A full stadium in TP would have an income of more than €1m, I know some of these tickets are pre-paid but in relative terms €1m is hardly a noose around their necks.

• Advertisement

Saracens to possibly move their home game with Munster to Boston.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/munster-agreeable-to-sarries-us-trip-197228.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement