Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭wonga77

Well, not totally unexpected. Sheehan out was always going to be a huge loss and a couple of frees werent taken advantage of. Alot of poor performances around the field and yet, if one or two of the goal chances were availed of then we could have won it. Dont agree with Brolly, I thought Cork cleaned us out around the middle in the last quarter when it really mattered most and some of the Kerry lads just didnt have the hunger or legs for it to drive on. tbf to Donaghy some of the ball into him was awful but the forwards were too quiet after a bright opening to the second half. Buckley was good in patches

Qualifiers wont be much fun, its a minefield out there

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I've put together a tactical take on today's game for anyone interested
    http://action81.com/blog/?p=5871

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

The result today was very dissapointing but I feel alot can be learnt from it and having watched it on TV I also felt Brollys comments were way OTT.

First off let me say that Cork deserved their win. Killian was far too loose on O'Connor and has to be moved to the half back line immediately as hes an accident waiting to happen in the Full back line. I think Crowley was decent today but by process of elimination he loses out. This will allow Enright back into the full back line.

Scanlon was a bit off the pace granted this was to be expected with his lack of game time recently but hopefully we have Sheehan back by mid July. Another positive from today was Buckley showing he is a credible option to bring off the bench.

Galvin didn't reach his former heights but I say an improvement from the Tipp game. Declan had a few moments but was annonymous for large periods of the game. Very dissapointed with Darran due to the high standards he set himself last year. I'd start O'Donoghue ahead of him the next day as he was a real positive and lets hope Darran rediscovers his form.

Gooch and Donaghy were dissapointing but I didn't see it from Curtain yet that hes ready for the no.14 shirt and as a result I feel his impact will come off the bench. O'Leary was very unfortunate to be taken off at half time and I'd keep him there the next day although he gets taken off first regardless of performance it seems.

While we lost by 5 if Sheehan was there and scored 3 out of Kealys 2, Gooch into Quirkes hands and Galvins free that would have been more points for us. Also we did miss 3 goal chances which could have changed the game.

In summary I feel Cork were full value for their win today. No doubt we have a lot to work on but I feel people are being overly critical of the performance. There are scary prospects in the next round such as Derry/ Donegal and Armagh away.

Kealy
    Enright Bohane Marc
    Tomas Brosnan Killian
    Sheehan Maher
    Galvin Declan O'Donoghue
    Gooch Donaghy O'Leary

Buckley
    Curtain
    Crowley
    Maguire
    Darran

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

paddy978 wrote: »
    The result today was very dissapointing but I feel alot can be learnt from it and having watched it on TV I also felt Brollys comments were way OTT.

First off let me say that Cork deserved their win. Killian was far too loose on O'Connor and has to be moved to the half back line immediately as hes an accident waiting to happen in the Full back line. I think Crowley was decent today but by process of elimination he loses out. This will allow Enright back into the full back line.

Scanlon was a bit off the pace granted this was to be expected with his lack of game time recently but hopefully we have Sheehan back by mid July. Another positive from today was Buckley showing he is a credible option to bring off the bench.

Galvin didn't reach his former heights but I say an improvement from the Tipp game. Declan had a few moments but was annonymous for large periods of the game. Very dissapointed with Darran due to the high standards he set himself last year. I'd start O'Donoghue ahead of him the next day as he was a real positive and lets hope Darran rediscovers his form.

Gooch and Donaghy were dissapointing but I didn't see it from Curtain yet that hes ready for the no.14 shirt and as a result I feel his impact will come off the bench. O'Leary was very unfortunate to be taken off at half time and I'd keep him there the next day although he gets taken off first regardless of performance it seems.

While we lost by 5 if Sheehan was there and scored 3 out of Kealys 2, Gooch into Quirkes hands and Galvins free that would have been more points for us. Also we did miss 3 goal chances which could have changed the game.

In summary I feel Cork were full value for their win today. No doubt we have a lot to work on but I feel people are being overly critical of the performance. There are scary prospects in the next round such as Derry/ Donegal and Armagh away.

Kealy
    Enright Bohane Marc
    Tomas Brosnan Killian
    Sheehan Maher
    Galvin Declan O'Donoghue
    Gooch Donaghy O'Leary

Buckley
    Curtain
    Crowley
    Maguire
    Darran

Disagree with you on Crowley to lose out. Killian himself should lose out. Crowley was one bright spot out of a bad bunch yesterday.
    Really put himself about got under breaks and raided forward well. He dealt with Kerrigans pace effectively and was only at fault for 1 of his scores.

Big opportunity to press on with the untested lads now through the qualifiers. Buckley, Enright, JOD, BJK, Curtain and Bohane deserve significant game time and experience. We're not good enough to win the All Ireland with the team that played yesterday, so we need to give the young lads a chance to improve the team.

Gutted with the loss yesterday, but I predicted Cork by 4, so I wasn't surprised.

Darren's seeming lack of interest frustrated me. Galvin looks a shadow of the great player he was 2 years ago. Gooch did his best with no ball. Donaghy was under utilized a FF and should have been brought out to help around the middle when we were being blown out. He also should have had the bottle to go for his own scores a few times. He's well able to score himself, but looked low on confidence yesterday.

Poor crowd really yesterday, but fair play to the cork crowd, sound and good banter out of them for the most part. A few eejits, that booed Galvin and Donaghy coming off, and one ****er who threw water down from the back of the stand onto the Kerry season ticket holders when Kerry pulled it back to a point in the second half. Enjoyable game of football with some class scores from both sides.

Hope we get a chance to meet the in croker later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Cork supporters let themselves down wit the booing and jeering of Paul Galvin yesterday. At different stages of the match the booing was more prominent but still it's not good enough that an amateur player who sacrifices so much to play the game getting booed imo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »

Big opportunity to press on with the untested lads now through the qualifiers. Buckley, Enright, JOD, BJK, Curtain and Bohane deserve significant game time and experience. We're not good enough to win the All Ireland with the team that played yesterday, so we need to give the young lads a chance to improve the team.

I think this is the key.

I have never considered Kerry as contenders for this years All Ireland, beacuse the old guard are getting old and the young guys are not up to championship level yet, and some may never be.

At this point it's better to get as many of the guys who did well in the league starting for the qualifiers and see how they fare, it will give them the championship experience they need and will certainly stand to them for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The thing that stuck out for me yesterday from a Kerry POV - was the real lack of a leader for us on the field - AOM did well at full back I thought - Murphy caused him problems but overall he stuck to the task and did well.

Nobody took up the mantle - I expected Declan O'Sullivan to do it but he was nowhere to be seen.

Young - caught out too often.

Leary - showed well and made the runs but he did nothing with it. He just doesn't seem to pose a scoring threat for us - would prefer to see James O'Donoghue get a start the next day.

Galvin - did a job that imo, any number of players on our bench could do just as well - linked play, nothing much else tbh - the guy isn't the force he used to be under the breaking ball.

That said - Cork were fully deserving of the win - they never really looked like losing it imo - Sheahan with frees would have made it a much closer game and put Cork under a bit more pressure alright but once Cork got their noses in front they never looked like losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Our performance yesterday was lifeless and clueless at times,at one stage Donaghy was the our only forward inside the Cork 45.he got the ball had no support and had a cut for a point which went well wide,our half forward line spends most of the time playing in our own half which is sad,the loss of Donie Buckley as trainer is now really hitting home

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

buyer95 wrote: »
    Cork supporters let themselves down wit the booing and jeering of Paul Galvin yesterday. At different stages of the match the booing was more prominent but still it's not good enough that an amateur player who sacrifices so much to play the game getting booed imo...

Like Kerry never boo Noel O'Leary, Galvin has a reputation and thats why he gets booed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ah would you give over. Galvin gets booed and jeered against quite a few teams:rolleyes:. Also, in Killarney, O'Leary gets a fine 'welcome' from the Kerry crowd aswell. I'm sure they will both survive - it probably eggs them on!

• Advertisement

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Like Kerry never boo Noel O'Leary, Galvin has a reputation and thats why he gets booed
    Thats a rediculous justification, and its totally against the spirit of the GAA, but if that maes you happy then so be it. As ShamoBuc says, they will survive, but it still makes the people who boo him and Donaghy (for some strange reason) Idiots.

I don't like Noel O'Leary's style of play, and his job when playing against Kerry (do everything to keep Galvin from playing, which he was extremely succesful at on Sunday), but I wouldn't boo him (unless he boxed a Kerry player or whatever and got away with it). And even afterwards I'd be a little embarrassed as even in the heat of the moment its not soccer, you don't Boo players.

Booing players as they are being substituted is pretty low, but its a mob mentality especially in a charged fixture such as Kerry vs Cork, and you'll always have they few.

But 1 to 1, Cork fans are brilliant.I had some great chats with a few coming out from the stadium and in the pub after. Great banter, and some quick witted, and well founded opinions.

Even the Gardaí were having a laugh, as when we went to cross the road, the Guard on duty stopped the traffic and said loudly to the driver, "Ah sure we couldn't delay this crowd getting out of here as quickly as possible", and gave us a wink.

Interesting to hear that almost all the Cork fans would prefer the game to be in Killarney. They said its a better stadium, and way more craic, before during and after the match. The attendence reflected that.

p.s The Seats in the covered stand. Willy Wonka designed them for sure, because if you are anything over 5'0ft, your knees are pressed up against the seat in front of you. I was crippled after! Pitch looked fantastic though, and thats all that matters at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Interesting to hear that almost all the Cork fans would prefer the game to be in Killarney. They said its a better stadium, and way more craic, before during and after the match. The attendence reflected that.

p.s The Seats in the covered stand. Willy Wonka designed them for sure, because if you are anything over 5'0ft, your knees are pressed up against the seat in front of you. I was crippled after! Pitch looked fantastic though, and thats all that matters at the end of the day.

I'm surprised there haven't been more incidents there tbh. The players have to come out through the tunnel where the fans are to get to the pitch. It will happen one day that someone gets a punch or something. Also I shudder to think of what might happen if there was ever a fire or serious incident in the main stand. Its a complete bottleneck trying to get out of there and if there was an evacuation I'd imagine it would turn into a stampede.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Was down there myself thought Mahony played quite well.., when is the draw for the qualifiers on lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I think the back door will be good for Kerry, wake them up a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mod edit - Sham, you should know the story about rumours and speculation as per the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Kerry are now 4/1 for All-Ireland.Biggest price in years surely worth a punt.Thought Id let ye know!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    mod edit - Sham, you should know the story about rumours and speculation as per the charter

To be honest, I didn't even think about it :o- apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Paul Galvin is a supremely, supremely gifted footballer who all too often acts like a complete thug on the pitch, who then goes on a tour of chat shows whinging about how he is picked on and misunderstood, all the while being backed up by the rose tinted glasses followers of Kerry who think that he can do no wrong, and is being targeted unfairly by the biased Dublin based meeja.

( Whoa....long sentence....deep breath... )

People are ALWAYS going to react negatively to a player like that, be it GAA, soccer, rugby, tennis, golf etc etc, or be it a professional or amateur sport. Everyone who plays GAA at his level works hard and makes sacrifices to do so. He is not alone in that. (Nor are a lot of the fans who support them btw.) His being an amateur or working hard doesn't have anything to do with it. Nor does it entitle him to any special treatment or exemptions. That's just how life and human nature are. I have never booed a player in my life. That's just not how I roll, but I can certainly see why certain sports people give the opposing spectators the motivation to do so. Paul Galvin does that in spades.

I personally think that statues should be erected to all the members of the 1983 "Twelve Apostles" All Ireland winning squad. But if the 3 Dubs lads who got sent off in the AI final spent the rest of their lives being booed every time that they set foot in Galway, so be it. Their actions on the day brought it on themselves. I am able to take off my blue tinted glasses every and then. Not so sure that Kerry folk are able or willing to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Paul Galvin is a supremely, supremely gifted footballer who all too often acts like a complete thug on the pitch, who then goes on a tour of chat shows whinging about how he is picked on and misunderstood, all the while being backed up by the rose tinted glasses followers of Kerry who think that he can do no wrong, and is being targeted unfairly by the biased Dublin based meeja.

( Whoa....long sentence....deep breath... )

People are ALWAYS going to react negatively to a player like that, be it GAA, soccer, rugby, tennis, golf etc etc, or be it a professional or amateur sport. Everyone who plays GAA at his level works hard and makes sacrifices to do so. He is not alone in that. (Nor are a lot of the fans who support them btw.) His being an amateur or working hard doesn't have anything to do with it. Nor does it entitle him to any special treatment or exemptions. That's just how life and human nature are. I have never booed a player in my life. That's just not how I roll, but I can certainly see why certain sports people give the opposing spectators the motivation to do so. Paul Galvin does that in spades.

I personally think that statues should be erected to all the members of the 1983 "Twelve Apostles" All Ireland winning squad. But if the 3 Dubs lads who got sent off in the AI final spent the rest of their lives being booed every time that they set foot in Galway, so be it. Their actions on the day brought it on themselves. I am able to take off my blue tinted glasses every and then. Not so sure that Kerry folk are able or willing to do so.

Kerry "folk" realise perfectly well that Galvin plays on the edge and has done stuff on the field a few times that can't be defended by any honest person. Hilarious that you'd even think about posting the notion that Kerry fans are more or less biased than Dublin's or anyone else's for that matter!

We both know the 3 Dubs who got sent off in '83 would never get such attention in Galway or anywhere else...but then again they have publicised themselves as Galvin has have they? Some of the yobbish behaviour by GAA "fans" in recent years (and I've seen Kerry fans carry on with it also before you ask) is something we could do without, but will probably continue.

For what its worth, I've seen/heard worse booing or jeering than there was on Sunday...not that it bothered Paul any bit I'd say regardless. He's had the same in most Cork games he's played and has regularly excelled in them. He kept his discipline for the duration at least, didn't have his best game overall, but we haven't seen the last of him this year yet so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Like Kerry never boo Noel O'Leary, Galvin has a reputation and thats why he gets booed[/QUOT

Yes Noelie has never been booed by the Kerry faithful, and any accusations to the contrary are false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

With all the strawmen being thrown around this thread is quickly becoming a fire hazard.

Good article on the qualifiers here for anybody interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Like Kerry never boo Noel O'Leary, Galvin has a reputation and thats why he gets booed[/QUOT

Yes Noelie has never been booed by the Kerry faithful, and any accusations to the contrary are false.

In fairness buyer, thats not true. When O'Leary got sent off in Tralee in the league last year it was the same thing..idiots jeering and whooping. The sad thing about idiots, is that they are everywhere unfortunately, nowhere is immune!

sarcasm_detector.jpg

In fairness buyer, thats not true. When O'Leary got sent off in Tralee in the league last year it was the same thing..idiots jeering and whooping. The sad thing about idiots, is that they are everywhere unfortunately, nowhere is immune!
    In fairness I can understand the cheering in that case.

O'Leary had stuck one on BJK, and almost got away with it.

The Kerry crowd (including myself unfortunatly) were raging, at the injustice of one man getting the line while the instigator got off scot free. Those cheers and jeers were aimed at O'Leary for his actions, in having a go at a promising young footballer and almost getting away with it, not because it was Noel O'Leary. Paul Kerrigan, Aiden Walsh etc would have got the same treatment in that case.

In Cork, Galvin and Donaghy were abused for who they were not their action on the field.

Anyway thats my last say on things, as this thread has turned into a bit of a shítstorm, with some posters jumping on the "Galvin's a Thug so deserves all he gets" bandwagon :rolleyes:

In fairness I can understand the cheering in that case.

O'Leary had stuck one on BJK, and almost got away with it.

The Kerry crowd (including myself unfortunatly) were raging, at the injustice of one man getting the line while the instigator got off scot free. Those cheers and jeers were aimed at O'Leary for his actions, in having a go at a promising young footballer and almost getting away with it, not because it was Noel O'Leary. Paul Kerrigan, Aiden Walsh etc would have got the same treatment in that case.

In Cork, Galvin and Donaghy were abused for who they were not their action on the field.

Anyway thats my last say on things, as this thread has turned into a bit of a shítstorm, with some posters jumping on the "Galvin's a Thug so deserves all he gets" bandwagon :rolleyes:
    It's nothing new really though - this thread turns into a shítstorm on a regular basis - we're talking about Kerry GAA after all and sure aren't we all animals anyway :pac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭wonga77

4-6 for Cooper tonight in the championship. Not too shabby, regardless of the opposition

3-4 from play as well apparently.

Word is that Scanlon hammered Donaghy around the middle, in Keirans vs Stacks.

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Cork are now looking at two games(Munster/Quarter finals) in eight weeks. Not ideal. I think the backdoor will suit Kerry and help them iron out their problems in the centre of defence and up front.

Anyone who writes off Kerry is a bit of a fool.

Kerry are at their most dangerous when faced with adversity.

We were meant to bury them in '09 and we all know how that turned out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Does anyone know who got the Narries goals and what the team was cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement