Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Time for Jack to give the younger squad members a start; Enright, Curtin and James O'Donoghue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

for sure, they are not going to weaken the starting 15 anyway, time to let a few of the old guard know they are not certanties to walk on the team anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

What team would ye play Sunday lads? I'd start Enright and O'Donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'd love to see it happen but it won't -

Enright in the corner, Young to the wing, Brosnan dropped, Tomás going in the centre, Crowley on the other wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

lynchy101 wrote: »
    I am a close friend of Jack O Connor and he admitted to me Sunday night that he had no hope in this Kerry team.

It's time you people,if thats what you are,accept this.

If you are such a close friend, why don't you tell him to **** off and resign, and never come back., Then maybe hope will be restored. Still wouldn't write Kerry off , think they will go far this year, but I certainly think Jack's days as Kerry manager should be coming to an end, regardless ofwhether Sam comes to Kerry or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

margio wrote: »
    If you are such a close friend, why don't you tell him to **** off and resign, and never come back., Then maybe hope will be restored. Still wouldn't write Kerry off , think they will go far this year, but I certainly think Jack's days as Kerry manager should be coming to an end, regardless ofwhether Sam comes to Kerry or not.

In theory if Jack decided to call it a day after this season,Who would be in line to take over?

Fitzmaurice,John Evans,Liam Kearns a return for Micko!! Or an outside shot like Moynihan or Dara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Prop Joe wrote: »
    In theory if Jack decided to call it a day after this season,Who would be in line to take over?

Fitzmaurice,John Evans,Liam Kearns a return for Micko!! Or an outside shot like Moynihan or Dara

Id give Fitzmaurice the job,a young manager is what is needed with new fresh ideas and some one the players have great respect for

I'd go with Fitzmaurice too - he seems to have his head firmly screwed on, would command respect from players and would have a low tolerance of BS I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Fitzy is a hero alright.

The article he wrote for the Examiner before and after the 2009 AIF was a great insight into his role in the Kerry camp at that time.

He earmarked all of Corks dangermen, and shut them down. He then highlighted Kerry's strengths, and made sure we made the most of them. Cork were nearly a better team then us that year, but tactically, Jack and Fitzy got it spot on, and we really won that All Ireland comfotably.

Just one thing that hasn't been mentioned this year is the loss of Donnacha Walsh. We've been looking at many reasons why Kerry don't look as strong as usual this year, but part of it has to be down to losing Donnacha. Our main problem ATM, is our HF line, where we aren't winning breaks, making runs or linking the play to our FF line. People moan about Donaghy, but there is f-all he can do about it if he's getting high balls rained in on him with a man behind him to break it and a man in front to get the break. The ball in from the HF line is shocking. Darran and Declan don't work as a pair in the HF line. They are both natural Center Forwards, but this year they are both playing half a center forwards role, and its showing.

Galvin has got slower, and we really miss that 40-50 minutes of hard graft that Donnacha put in around the pitch. He was never spectacular, but he was always there tracking back, winning breaks, even getting a score every now and again.

Donnacha coming back might help us out, once he gets fit, and take some of the pressure off Galvin to be the one doing all the work around the middle.

Prop Joe wrote: »

Love your choices :) I personaly would love to see Micko take over for one last stint, also would love to see John Evans at the helm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Fitzy is a hero alright.

The article he wrote for the Examiner before and after the 2009 AIF was a great insight into his role in the Kerry camp at that time.

He earmarked all of Corks dangermen, and shut them down. He then highlighted Kerry's strengths, and made sure we made the most of them. Cork were nearly a better team then us that year, but tactically, Jack and Fitzy got it spot on, and we really won that All Ireland comfotably.

Just one thing that hasn't been mentioned this year is the loss of Donnacha Walsh. We've been looking at many reasons why Kerry don't look as strong as usual this year, but part of it has to be down to losing Donnacha. Our main problem ATM, is our HF line, where we aren't winning breaks, making runs or linking the play to our FF line. People moan about Donaghy, but there is f-all he can do about it if he's getting high balls rained in on him with a man behind him to break it and a man in front to get the break. The ball in from the HF line is shocking. Darran and Declan don't work as a pair in the HF line. They are both natural Center Forwards, but this year they are both playing half a center forwards role, and its showing.

Galvin has got slower, and we really miss that 40-50 minutes of hard graft that Donnacha put in around the pitch. He was never spectacular, but he was always there tracking back, winning breaks, even getting a score every now and again.

Donnacha coming back might help us out, once he gets fit, and take some of the pressure off Galvin to be the one doing all the work around the middle.

I agree 100%,Donnacha has been a massive player for Kerry but never really gets the credit he deserves its only when he is missing you see how important he is to the team.

I agree 100%,Donnacha has been a massive player for Kerry but never really gets the credit he deserves its only when he is missing you see how important he is to the team.

Been argueing that point with people for years. some players just put their head down and do the job, but never get the praise the really deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

Would like to see Fitzmaurice get it and I think he has a great shout when the time comes as he is well respected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If Kerry go on and win Sam this year, will ye still prefer to change the management?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    If Kerry go on and win Sam this year, will ye still prefer to change the management?
    Honestly, were that to happen, I think Jack would cut his losses and go, can't see him sticking around much longer tbh

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Most certainly, He just doesn't bring out the best in his players. He lost a very easy All Ireland last year. In fairness to Pat O'Shea he lost a hard one:mad:. He writes a book, cutting players down to ****, and he has the audicity to come back.

Most certainly, He just doesn't bring out the best in his players. He lost a very easy All Ireland last year. In fairness to Pat O'Shea he lost a hard one:mad:. He writes a book, cutting players down to ****, and he has the audicity to come back.
    Quick question, Did you read the book?

I didn't see any point in the book where he unneccesarily criticized a Kerry footballer.

He went on a bit about being marginalised by the so called "Kerry Greats" - the Paudí Ó Sés' and the likes, but I didn't see him criticize the players at all.

Its been a while since I read it, so Im open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I don't think so.I thought he had Kerry well prepared against a hungry and very formidable Dublin team.You can scapegoat Jack O Connor all you want but the fact remains that Declan O Sullivan gave the ball away twice to concede 1-01.If it was as "easy" as you made out,Kerry would have tore into Dublin in the first 10 minutes and should have been well out of sight in the last 10.

blackbelt wrote: »
    I don't think so.I thought he had Kerry well prepared against a hungry and very formidable Dublin team.You can scapegoat Jack O Connor all you want but the fact remains that Declan O Sullivan gave the ball away twice to concede 1-01.If it was as "easy" as you made out,Kerry would have tore into Dublin in the first 10 minutes and should have been well out of sight in the last 10.

I've been in to Kerry training sessions, and his treatment of some players is disgraceful. Don't even know why they dont just walk up to him and floor him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The concept of an ''Easy All Ireland'' is a myth, there is no such thing, and Kerry did'nt just land in an AI final they earned their place there, Jack is doing a fine job IMO considering the amount of football some of the stalwarts have played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blackbelt wrote: »

well he could be accused of not having enough faith in team he picked to start the game by deploying a less than 100% Paul Gavlin too early in the game in a what seemed to me an overreaction

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Kerry team to play Westmeath is:

1. Brendan Kealy
    2. Marc O'Sé
    3. Aidan O'Mahony
    4. Killian Young
    5. Tomás O'Sé
    6. Eoin Brosnan
    7.Brian Maguire
    8. Anthony Maher
    9. Bryan Sheehan
    10. Paul Galvin
    11. Declan O'Sullivan
    12. Donnacha Walsh
    13. James O'Donoghue
    14. Colm Cooper
    15. Kieran Donaghy

Glad to same James O'Donoghue in the team, honestly thought BJK would be in the mix to give Galvin a boot up the hole that he requires.

Disgusted to see the Killian Young in the corner experiment is still going on

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

With Crowley injured, I thought the obivious move would be Young to the wing and Enright in the corner. Maguire must be doing well in training to get the start. Fair play to him, the more options we have "going forward" (hate using that expression) the better.
    Be interesting to see where Donaghy will play. Spose this is the game for a bit of expermenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

are West Meath up to much?

What we have with this team is a whole lot of fight around the middle.

Donaghy will come out more then likely, so you'll have Galvin, Donaghy and Donnacha (for 40 minutes at least), working their bollox off to winn every break going and get the ball to Declan.

Quick ball into our two man full forward line, who could have a field day with all the space.

Bodes well IMO.

Not sure anybody outside of Leinster will be able to tell you that.

From what I saw of the Sunday Game a few weeks back - they didn't give a depleted squad from Louth the beating that was expected, Louth were also down to 13men early on in the game, although Westmeath were down to 14 later on themselves.

Callum McCormack came on as a sub and scored 1-3 so he'd be a player to watch out for if he's in form. I've always maintained Dennis Glennon is a very tidy player for them also but I'd have confidence in Marc keeping him quiet - that said you never know, he could cause some problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

PaulieC wrote: »
    Not sure anybody outside of Leinster will be able to tell you that.

Ah now!

Westmeath are a decent side, on a par with the likes of Sligo or Antrim. A little worse than your Longfords or your Roscommons, a little better than Wicklow, Cavan etc.

Their most important player by a mile is John Heslin. He's an u21 who was signed to the AFL by Richmond at the start of the year but didn't like it over there and came home again. He plays at midfield for them and has been exceptional, bossing Paddy Keenan in the two games against Louth which is no mean feat (although Keenan was carrying an injury in the second game). He's another Brendan Murphy from Carlow, i.e. he'd probably be considered one of the best players in the country in a year or two if he played with a team that had a chance of making any decent progress.

Outside him their main players would be Michael Ennis at centre back who has been around a long time and is an accomplished player, as well as the two Glennons up front, particularly Dennis in the corner who will cause some trouble. David at FF will be a decent test for Aidan O'Mahony as well which is good.

Beyond those they tail off a bit, Doran Harte is a solid player who will be lining out at wingback, and Peter Sharry at corner forward is decent enough as well.

At a neutral venue and assuming all things were equal Kerry are the better team probably by six or seven points.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ah now!

You're based in Leinster so I stand by my comment :pac:

• Advertisement

Just one point.

Keenan didn't play at all in the most recent game between Louth and Westmeath, and he destroyed Westmeath's midfield in the League game this year.

Bit of raic going on in the county ATM as well, with the Tyrellspass players skipping training this week to play a club game against the Shamrocks without telling anyone. Then the Shamrock lads were allowed leave training to play the match, but they arrived after the start and didn't play. Then the Shamrocks won the match anyway.

All Gospel (according to the ever reliable Hoganstand forum) :P :P :P

This was their team against Louth last time out:

D Quinn; M McCallon, J Gaffney, K Maguire; D Harte, P Sharry, D McDermott (C McCormack, 35); J Heslin, P Bannon; K Martin, David Glennon, G Egan; M Ennis (D Corroon 48), J Dolan, Denis Glennon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement