Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Kerry looked like a team that were just going through the motions, and I thought some of the Kerry players were like fellas just out for a Sunday stroll. Not really taking the opposition seriously. If I was Jack O'Connor I wouldn't be at all happy with that.

Ok they got the job done but it ended up being harder work than it needed to be against a poor enough team. It was the worst I've seen Kerry play in a long time, but on this occasion their opponents weren't good enough to take advantage. Kerry will need to up their game massively the next day, but there's surely a good bit more in the tank than what we say on Sunday. Which was basically a team winning without ever going much beyond second gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Stinicker wrote: »
    teednab-el wrote: »
    2002 revisited. :D

God, I hope not, I'll never forget the drenching I got in the terraces in Killarney that day. Then the agony of the penalties with Spain!

Remember it well, we got soaked that day. Dissapointed after Ireland-Spain game but Cork Kerry game was good game despite the miserable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Remember it well, we got soaked that day. Dissapointed after Ireland-Spain game but Cork Kerry game was good game despite the miserable weather.

What year then was the match played in Killarney with the tarmac melting in the streets? Always thought that was '02.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

CiaranMT wrote: »

What year then was the match played in Killarney with the tarmac melting in the streets? Always thought that was '02.

2006 I think, it was also on the same day as the world cup final France v Italy.

2002 was 100% the day that it poured out of the heavens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭wonga77

What do people think about Sheehan out? Not many midfielders have been given a chance as backup ie Buckley and Scanlon have not got enough game time in the league. Id be worried, outside of Sheehans strength around the middle, his long distance frees that others wont get are a 3 or 4 point loss straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

CiaranMT wrote: »

The tarmac got washed away in 02 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

wonga77 wrote: »
    What do people think about Sheehan out? Not many midfielders have been given a chance as backup ie Buckley and Scanlon have not got enough game time in the league. Id be worried, outside of Sheehans strength around the middle, his long distance frees that others wont get are a 3 or 4 point loss straight away
    I think we're in trouble.

Realistically, If we win on Sunday, then I think we'd be a good bet for the All Ireland.
    To beat Cork, in Cork, without our number 1 midfielder and free taker, would be pretty impressive, and would show that we are functioning at a good level.

I have a suspicion that Jack may name Donaghy at Midfield, and keep the forward line as it was vs Tipp.

I'd prefer to see Scanlon start, and Donaghy on the wing. Change it up if its not going well, but we need as much physicality around the middle as possible against Cork's huge Midfield presence.

Was going to be tough down there even with a full squad, but without Sheehan we could really be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Star isn't a good midfielder is the problem....Bohane has played MF for Stacks before - what's he like there? He obviously has aerial ability.

Scanlon would be off the pace I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wouldn't play Bohan at MF against Cork in a million years. If that happens Buckley and Scanlon might as well pack it in.

Buckley is a lovely footballer, but Cork would bully him at midfield, like Darragh used to bully Nicholas Murphy for years.

Buckley is grand at midfield with Crokes, because Ambrose is around to protect him, but Maher wouldn't provide the same protection IMO.

Scanlon and Maher at Midfield would be my preference, with Donaghy on the wing, but I just have a gut feeling that Jack will pick Star at midfield.

He won't lack effort anyway, whereever he's picked, thats for sure.

• Advertisement

Buckley - too light and too slow for intercounty atm right now, wasn't sure if Bohane had played there so was just enquiring if it'd be worth looking into - Scanlon I'd go for - experience against Cork should be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kerry Team announced.

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin)

2. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 3. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore) 4. Killian Young (Renard)

5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Eoin Brosnan (Dr Crokes) 7. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)

8. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 9. Seamus Scanlon (Currow)

10. Paul Galvin (Finuge) 11. Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) 12. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar)

13. Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes) Captain 14. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) 15. Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)

Substitutes:
    16. Brian Kelly (Legion)
    17. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)
    18. Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    19. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks)
    20. James O’Donoghue (Legion)
    21. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmett’s)
    22. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)
    23. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    24. Jonathan Lyne (Legion)
    25. Michael Geaney (Daingean Ui Chuis)
    26. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)

Enright and Bohan must be feeling a bit sick, neither of them did much wrong against Tip. I have my doubts about this one tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I think that team is very much horses for courses. Shane Enright will be very disappointed but I can see why Jack has picked that team. AO'M didn't give Aidan Walsh much change in the League and I would expect the same again. Even on faster ground Walsh doesn't have much pace. And those 6 forwards are the best unit in the country.

It just remains to be seen if we are hungry enough. A video of Cluxton kicking the ball into the stand after the final whistle last Sept would be a good motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I dont know about O Leary,he is class act when playing club football but it seems he doesnt have it for inter county,hopefully he will prove me wrong and have a blinder on Sunday,big day for Peter Crowley well deserved as well he has been very impressive so far this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Pretty disgusted with that team to be honest. Young is not a corner back, was the worst of the full back line in Thurles and is the only one retained?
    Jack sees these guys more than I do, so I'll hold fire until after the game, but I'm not full of confidence.

Not too happy about Young in the corner - as has been stated already - he's a natural wing back. That said it shows that Crowley must be flying in training that he's pushing a guy with all stars in that position infield.

Happy with the forward line - Declan back at centre is the main move I was looking for.

We've got a strong bench too atm - plenty of youth that can cause problems, looking forward to it now.

Love the Ao'M pick at full back.

He hammered Aidan Walsh in the League meeting. As tall as Walsh is, Aiden is able to get up as high and break ball off him all day long.

Donaghy will not be FF for much of the game, or if he is then Cork are in for a big surprise, because Jack must have something worked on in Training.

I think this Kerry lineup is made for going man to man.

Each of the backs will pick a man and follow him everywhere (bar Marc, who will stay inside all game on Colm O'Neill i'd imagine).

A'OM, and Killian can follow their men out the field if they need to, and Tomás and Peter Crowley can drop back into the FB line if they need to.

I'd imagine Gooch will stay inside with KOL in a 2 Man FF line, and Darran and Declan will cause havok running from deep (if we have the ball). Donaghy will for the most part drift around, providing physicality around the middle, a stopgap between the HB and FB lines, and also drift forward into the FF role, and win a few high balls.

It really comes down to Midfield IMO. Our defence and attack will stand up on the day, but I'd be worried that Scanlon and Maher are too similar types of players. We seem to need a Strong Hitter at Midfield with a Skillful Playmaker as a partner. With Sheehan gone, we have two hitters.

Anyway, we have a lot more impact off the bench then we had last year IMO, with Enright, Curtin, Bohane, BJK, JOD etc all with a bit of Championship experience now.

Ciarraí Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PaulieC wrote: »
    Not too happy about Young in the corner - as has been stated already - he's a natural wing back. That said it shows that Crowley must be flying in training that he's pushing a guy with all stars in that position infield.

Happy with the forward line - Declan back at centre is the main move I was looking for.

We've got a strong bench too atm - plenty of youth that can cause problems, looking forward to it now.

You are joking aren't you ?

How could you consider that bench strong ?

It is full of guys with very little championship experience, and there is not a single impact player amongst them.

It is full of guys with very little championship experience, and there is not a single impact player amongst them.
    James O'Donaghue and BJK have hitory of coming off the bench and scoring vital points in Championship games. They also would have won the League Semi-final vs Mayo with their scores, only for Donaghy to fúck up.

What more impact could you want from a forward?

Bohane has history of coming off the bench to hold down the fort and stop a Galway onslaught, and was MOM against Tipperary.

Enright plays well in every single game he plays in the Green and Gold.

What more impact could you want from a back?

Jaysus, we're not going to have a bench full of Marc Ó Sé's or Gooch's!

You look at it like that - I see it as a young, hungry bench, quick legs for finishing out games - I'd prefer that tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PaulieC wrote: »
    You look at it like that - I see it as a young, hungry bench, quick legs for finishing out games - I'd prefer that tbh

All well and good when you have a game to finish out, like v Mayo in an All Ireland semi after being in control of the game since before half time.

But I don't think Kerry will even be in that position on Sunday, they will be chasing Cork from the start and will not be in a position of 3 or 4 pts up with 10 mins to go.

Who makes the impact when you are 4 pts down with 10 mins to go ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dropping bohane is strange, but the forward line looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

dropping bohane is strange, but the forward line looks fantastic.

He got destroyed in training last weekend (match scenario). Curtin kicked 2-4 or 3-4 off him. Bit surprised that Curtin isn't in though, based on that. Interesting team to say the least. Think O'Leary deserves his spot as he was one of the few to do ok against Tipp (won a lot of breaking ball) if you excuse his bad wide in the first half.

Sunday will tell a lot I reckon.

All well and good when you have a game to finish out, like v Mayo in an All Ireland semi after being in control of the game since before half time.

But I don't think Kerry will even be in that position on Sunday, they will be chasing Cork from the start and will not be in a position of 3 or 4 pts up with 10 mins to go.

The fact of the matter is - at some stage they're going to have to be blooded in - Cork have done it with guys like Shields and the youth they've brought in over the past few years.

A young fella isn't going to come into a game and change it's complexion completely, but he can have an impact - it's up to senior players like Cooper, Declan, Star etc. to change a game and step up - from there the young fellas learn how it's done.

We have a strong bench, young - yes, but very talented. No young player is ever the finished product when they get brought in by Kerry - but it's there they grow into it.

It depends where the need is at the time.

If we are 4 points down because our Fullback is being cleaned out, on comes Bohane.

If we are 4 points down because of our Corner Backs, Enright comes on.

Wing Backs, Enright in the corner Killian to HB.

CB, Mahoney to CB- Bohane to FB

Forwards - BJK, James O'Donaghue, Curtin can all make an impact on the scoreboard up front. Especially with 10 minutes to go where the pace of the game has dies, then lads like JOD have the pace to break through a tired defence and score points/goals.

There is impact for a number of positions on the bench.

Up until last year, no one thought Kevin McMenamin was an impact player. Caffrey wouldn't pick him because "he was too slow" and took too much out of the ball. He won both the Semi-Final and Final for Dublin, with his direct running and score taking. Went from an unknown to a hero. Thats what these Kerry lads have to do- and will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I've put together a tactical preview here for anyone interested
    http://action81.com/blog/?p=5852

Emmet Ryan wrote: »
    I've put together a tactical preview here for anyone interested
    http://action81.com/blog/?p=5852
    Good read as always Emmet cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Should Walsh stay midfield who will Mahony pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Denis Horan

Whatever happens Sunday the winner will be Munster Champions as Limerick are not anywhere near the same league as Cork and Kerry.

• Advertisement

closeline wrote: »
    Should Walsh stay midfield who will Mahony pick up?
    Donnacha O'Connor more then likely.

The border rivalry ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement