Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

We looked lifeless today,but we got the result,that all that matters,re Brolly,I just mute the TV when he is talking,that man loves hearing the sound of his own voice

Agreed, All that was needed was the win, even if Kerry won by a point. Early stages of the Championship and hard to play well on the first day out. I expect Kerry to be ruthless against Cork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

teednab-el wrote: »
    Agreed, All that was needed was the win, even if Kerry won by a point. Early stages of the Championship and hard to play well on the first day out. I expect Kerry to be ruthless against Cork.

I also expect a few changes in the lineup.
    Can't wait for 2 weeks time down the Páirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Lads I thought Brolly was a little harsh with his comments on Kerry and saying that they can't win when its put up to them. Absolute nonsense Altogether. He said the same about Cork in 2010. He seriously has issues with teams outside of Ulster.
    Also it only took him 4 words before the word "Tyrone" left his mouth.

Has a serious chip on his shoulder sometimes.

Kerry were ****e, but its the first round of the championship.

Also comparing Donaghy to Bomber Liston is laughable.
    1. Donaghy was originally a midfielder converted to a forward, Bomber was a natural 14.
    2. Donaghy hasn't been an effective FF for the las 2 years, why would he be played inside.
    3. Donaghy is playing well outside, that sort of game sut him, and he really saaved Kerry today. When the chips were down, Donaghy was there to make a field, pass or block to propell Kerry to victory.

Bad start, Galvin looked woeful today. Brosnan is a good athelete but a poor CB, and we'll be taken apart by a better team. Mahoney would be my solution. He player there for 10 minutes today and made three hits to stop lads pissing through the middle.

Gooch, Sheehan looked rusty.
    Bohane looked v.good for spells. Made 2 mistakes though that could have been costly.

Crowley was anonymous, and Curtain looks like Declan Quill Mark II. Great for League football, but was lost today.

Early days yet. We'll be tipping away better in the Páirc i'd say, but Conor Counihan didn't see anything today to worry himself too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Lads I thought Brolly was a little harsh with his comments on Kerry and saying that they can't win when its put up to them. Absolute nonsense Altogether. He said the same about Cork in 2010. He seriously has issues with teams outside of Ulster.

He was bang out of order and disrespectful to a team who have been great champions in the past and will hopefully continue to be in the future.

At the same time though I've come to expect nothing less from Brolly the guys a classless mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I've put together some tactical analysis of today's game for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5824

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Emmet Ryan wrote: »
    I've put together some tactical analysis of today's game for anyone interested http://action81.com/blog/?p=5824

As always, an interesting read Emmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

10th of June Cork V Kerry and Ireland V Croatia,going to be someday of sport :D

Seriously looking forward to the day:D...not looking forward to the inevitable hangover:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

2002 revisited. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ill be in poznan so may not even see the game! With the doom and gloom around, ud swear we should give them the match and not bother travelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Also it only took him 4 words before the word "Tyrone" left his mouth.

Has a serious chip on his shoulder sometimes.

Kerry were ****e, but its the first round of the championship.

Also comparing Donaghy to Bomber Liston is laughable.
    1. Donaghy was originally a midfielder converted to a forward, Bomber was a natural 14.
    2. Donaghy hasn't been an effective FF for the las 2 years, why would he be played inside.
    3. Donaghy is playing well outside, that sort of game sut him, and he really saaved Kerry today. When the chips were down, Donaghy was there to make a field, pass or block to propell Kerry to victory.

Bad start, Galvin looked woeful today. Brosnan is a good athelete but a poor CB, and we'll be taken apart by a better team. Mahoney would be my solution. He player there for 10 minutes today and made three hits to stop lads pissing through the middle.

Gooch, Sheehan looked rusty.
    Bohane looked v.good for spells. Made 2 mistakes though that could have been costly.

Crowley was anonymous, and Curtain looks like Declan Quill Mark II. Great for League football, but was lost today.

Early days yet. We'll be tipping away better in the Páirc i'd say, but Conor Counihan didn't see anything today to worry himself too much.

I did not see the game and nor would I read too much into a first championship outing v Tipp but the bit I put in bold is interesting.

I have been banging a drum around here lately saying that I do not believe Kerry will be a factor in this years All Ireland, based on the fact that many of the core are ageing or retired, and that the replacements are not nearly as good (yet).

The counter to this argument was that the young guys had a great league campaign, which they did, and that the likes of Curtain, Crowley and BJK will have no bother stepping up.

If what DDC1990 observed continues v Cork then they are certainly not going to be contenders.

I have never believed in the theory that a team is better off going through the back door, but a trip through it this year could server the young guys well for 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Making pronouncements about a guy's ability to play Championship after his debut is disgraceful stuff. I would expect better from a poster as consistently insightful as DDC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

2002 revisited. :D

God, I hope not, I'll never forget the drenching I got in the terraces in Killarney that day. Then the agony of the penalties with Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stinicker wrote: »
    God, I hope not, I'll never forget the drenching I got in the terraces in Killarney that day. Then the agony of the penalties with Spain!

Are you a time traveller ?

The Spain game was on before the Kerry v Cork game,

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

keane2097 wrote: »
    Making pronouncements about a guy's ability to play Championship after his debut is disgraceful stuff. I would expect better from a poster as consistently insightful as DDC.

Especially considering Quill made 14 Championship appearances compared to Curtin's one, so far.

Not to mention the fact that the full forward line got very little quality ball, and especially when you consider the equally tepid performances of Gooch and Declan.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Curtin bag a goal the next day.

Also not to toot my own horn but in terms of BJK starting/his position in the pecking order, he didnt go anything to push his case when he came on. O'Donoghue on the other hand continued to impress. ;)

Any word on where Donncha Walsh is at fitness wise. I think he is an important absencee.

If what DDC1990 observed continues v Cork then they are certainly not going to be contenders.

I have never believed in the theory that a team is better off going through the back door, but a trip through it this year could server the young guys well for 2013.

What DDC1990 is saying is true - to an extent.

Crowley attempted a few darts upfield but barring that he was very quiet. At the same time - pick more than one or two players for Kerry yesterday who weren't quiet....it won't be a long list.

What is ridiculous is expecting young players to slot into championship seamlessly every time.

Not every player is going to be a Colm Cooper or a Killian Young for us

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that the full forward line got very little quality ball, and especially when you consider the equally tepid performances of Gooch and Declan.

This - the quality of ball given into our FF line was hilariously poor

Also not to toot my own horn but in terms of BJK starting/his position in the pecking order, he didnt go anything to push his case when he came on. O'Donoghue on the other hand continued to impress. ;)

Would agree on this - James looked promising when he came on, played well and worked hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I did not see the game and nor would I read too much into a first championship outing v Tipp but the bit I put in bold is interesting.

I have been banging a drum around here lately saying that I do not believe Kerry will be a factor in this years All Ireland, based on the fact that many of the core are ageing or retired, and that the replacements are not nearly as good (yet).

The counter to this argument was that the young guys had a great league campaign, which they did, and that the likes of Curtain, Crowley and BJK will have no bother stepping up.

Far prefer to be in the position of Kerry as regards youth, compared to Counihan's use of veterans all through the league.

In terms of less experienced Kerry players Curtin, Crowley, O'Donoghue, Enright, BJ Keane, McGuire who all featured yesterday are still all relative newcomers to Championship football.

I didn't mean to be so harsh on the Crowley and Curtain, I should have said Looked rather then Looks, as in he thrived during the league on the softer ground, but the last day in the heat and the hard open pitch, he looked a little slow and a bit out of place. Not saying he won't amount to anything, but I probably foolishly expected more from the lad. I was really impressed with his ball winning ability during the league, but every ball seemed to bounce off him yesterday.

As for Crowley, I am confident he will be our starting wingback for the Cork game and he will do himself justice. Again, I foolishly expected his form to be as good as the league, and to be making bursting runs forward, a la Tomás in his heyday. Whenever Kerry were in trouble, Tomás would always turn up, with a lung bursting run up the field for a score to save our bacon. Tipp were getting closer and closer, and I was waiting for a guy like Crowley to step up, and make the run but it never came. He has all the ability, but as keane said, it was his debut, and maybe was a bit tentative.

I wasn't for one second discarding these guys to the scrap heap after one game, and I'm sorry it came across that way. I wouldn't consider myself one of the "animals" that Paudí described, and I support the team 150%, no matter who is out there, no matter how inexperienced they are. I was just calling it as I saw It, and perhaps it was my own fault that I expected so much of them so early, but they showed during the league that they have the ability to slot in seamlessly into a Kerry starting 15.

I am worried about Brosnan. He didn't do anything completely wrong yesterday, but there always seemed to be gaps in the middle for Tipp to waltz through, which a CB should be manning, and should hit anything that moves coming up to the 45m line.

Marc and Donaghy have to come back in. My opinion of Donaghy is like a rollercoaster tbh. He can be the most inspiring man at times, and other times you want to give him a kick in the arse and tell him to cop onto himself. He was brilliant on Sunday however, with a Captain like performance. He came on and gave the guys a lift when the really needed to get the asses in gear. He won ball in midfield, the full forward line and the full back line. His days as an orthadox Full Forward are over. He will make an impact around the middle this championship. I don't blame him either (if it is true) for going to the Champions League final. These guys are amatures. Apparently (and someone will probably correct me), he has been a Chelsea fan all his life, and might never get an opportunity to see them in a Champions League final again. Soccer is not really my cup of tea, but it is for some lads, and you have to live your life while you can. Im sure he doesn't regret it one bit, and nobody suffered as a result. I think Jack was right to drop him also as he missed training, but should definitly bring him back for the Cork game.

That's more like it DDC ;)

• Advertisement

In response to this, this isn't entirely true.

Brian Maguire came on and played well.
    James O'Donaghue looked very good when he came on.

Shane Enright looked like a veteran at cornerback.

Kerry's problems didn't stem from the Youth. Crowley did nothing wrong (except a silly tackle that got him a yellow card). He just didn't look like an All Star, like he did during the league.

It was the likes of Galvin, Brosnan, and Bryan Sheehans free taking that were poor yesterday.
    However these lads all have a few All Ireland medels in the arse pocket, it is very difficult for them to raise their game in a first round game against Tipperary. That makes Kerry players sound like ignorant arseholes, that they wouldn't take every county as seriously as the next but its reality. They will be a different team against Cork, and expect the performance of the younger lads to pick up as well.

I wouldn't be ruling Kerry out of the championship already, and they still won by 6 points in the end, don't forget. A 6 point win when playing terribly, is not the end of the world.

re: Crowley & Curtin, as with the rest of the team - we expected alot more than we got yesterday - peoples eyes were probably a bit more focused on the two young lads as it was their first championship outing etc.

On Donnaghy - I'm still not sure - why we played Declan @ 14 is beyond me, quite possibly the best runner with ball in hand I've ever seen playing in the full forward line is foolish I think. I'd keep Donnaghy on the bench if it meant a forward line of:

Galvin
    Declan
    BJK

James O' Donoghue
    Cooper
    Kieran O'Leary

I'd just like to see that played against Cork.

Could be considered risky with BJK and JOD in the mix but I think it'd work.

That full forward line is fast and can win ball for onrushing players, in addition to having the ability to turn the man and take their own scores.

PaulieC wrote: »
    re: Crowley & Curtin, as with the rest of the team - we expected alot more than we got yesterday - peoples eyes were probably a bit more focused on the two young lads as it was their first championship outing etc.

On Donnaghy - I'm still not sure - why we played Declan @ 14 is beyond me, quite possibly the best runner with ball in hand I've ever seen playing in the full forward line is foolish I think. I'd keep Donnaghy on the bench if it meant a forward line of:

Galvin
    Declan
    BJK

James O' Donoghue
    Cooper
    Kieran O'Leary

I'd just like to see that played against Cork.

Could be considered risky with BJK and JOD in the mix but I think it'd work.

That full forward line is fast and can win ball for onrushing players, in addition to having the ability to turn the man and take their own scores.
    Im a big fan of Barry John Keane. Great footballer, but he needs to get stronger and cleverer.

O'Donaghue is ahead of him in my eyes, simply because he reads the game better at the moment.

It would be madness to leave Darren O'Sullivan out of the team vs Cork. I can't see one Cork half back having the pace to stay near him. Canty? Kissane? Noel O'Leary?
    Likewise Declan, but the way we are playing at the moment we need two lads who can win the ball in the two Wing Forward Slots.

Now if we played a 2 man full forward line, with Gooch and O'Leary/JOD/Curtin/BJK (any of them would work IMO) and brought Declan and Darren out to attack from the Half Forward line, we could slice through any defence. Gooch and KOL (for argument's sake) would have space inside to pump low diagonal ball into, and then have Darren and Delcan coming in from the HF line, to provide a Goal threat. All great in theory, until Noel O'Leary et al, batter the ****e out of the HF line, and Gooch and KOL are held by the Jersey for 70 minutes inside :P :P :P

Anyway, I'm thinking:

Galvin - Darren - Declan - Donaghy

Gooch
    KOL

Im a big fan of Barry John Keane. Great footballer, but he needs to get stronger and cleverer.

O'Donaghue is ahead of him in my eyes, simply because he reads the game better at the moment.

It would be madness to leave Darren O'Sullivan out of the team vs Cork. I can't see one Cork half back having the pace to stay near him. Canty? Kissane? Noel O'Leary?
    Likewise Declan, but the way we are playing at the moment we need two lads who can win the ball in the two Wing Forward Slots.

Now if we played a 2 man full forward line, with Gooch and O'Leary/JOD/Curtin/BJK (any of them would work IMO) and brought Declan and Darren out to attack from the Half Forward line, we could slice through any defence. Gooch and KOL (for argument's sake) would have space inside to pump low diagonal ball into, and then have Darren and Delcan coming in from the HF line, to provide a Goal threat. All great in theory, until Noel O'Leary et al, batter the ****e out of the HF line, and Gooch and KOL are held by the Jersey for 70 minutes inside :P :P :P

Anyway, I'm thinking:

Galvin - Darren - Declan - Donaghy

Gooch
    KOL
    I'm not surprised I forgot about Darran - he annoyed the crap out of me yesterday. Again, fair enough it was the first championship game of the season but he looked like the player of 3/4 years ago. Get Ball. Run. Keep head down.

Last year he caused problems and scored more than usual because he linked well and didnt' try to do it all himself - yesterday he regressed to the style of play you'd expect from a minor - he just ran aimlessly every time he got the ball - he needs to be far more patient imo

I'd nearly try Cooper and Darran in the full forward line if we were going to play two there - you couldn't double mark either, you'd have to work something else out as both are two dangerous to be left on one man with that much space.

Going back to the BJK vs. JOD point - I really don't think BJK needs to get all that much stronger - he's fairly well built tbf - if anything I'd like to know has his pace suffered as a result - James appears to be that bit pacier imo.

James appears more of a threat to me, but BJK seems to be well able for the physical stakes, will clip over a few points if his runs are picked out and will work hard on the wing - atm I'd have Barry John shading it to start:

Galvin - BJK - Declan - Leary

Darran Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Sheehan____________________Donaghy_________

Darren o Sullivan________Declan OSullivan____________Galvain

_______________________Gooch_________________________

___Curtin_______________________Barry John Keane___________

That would be my front 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Sheehan____________________Donaghy_________

Darren o Sullivan________Declan OSullivan____________Galvain

_______________________Gooch_________________________

___Curtin_______________________Barry John Keane___________

That would be my front 8

No Maher???? He has been our best player all year!!

My team for Cork would be
    Kealy

Marc
    Bohane
    Enright

Tómas
    Brosnan
    Killian

Maher
    Sheehan

Gally
    Deco
    Darran

Gooch
    Star
    Curtin

Aidan O M will play a big part too me thinks,his physicality and aggression will be vital..Along with impact forwards like Jamie O D & BJK

Star must play v Cork...All 6 forwards could interchange throughout the game.

We have a strong bench with Crowley,Maguire,Scanlon,Donnacha and O'Leary aswell

Whatever about cleverer he's an absolute tank.

I wouldn't be in favour of dropping Curtain whatsover, think people are a bit overzealous about James O'Donoghue, Curtain is better and has been all year IMO. Great talent coming through between the three young lads being mentioned all the same.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in favour of dropping Curtain whatsover, think people are a bit overzealous about James O'Donoghue, Curtain is better and has been all year IMO. Great talent coming through between the three young lads being mentioned all the same.
    If I was dropping Curtin, it'd be for Donaghy.

Wouldn't drop him for BJK or JOD as yet.

Great that we have these lads, and we're agruing about who's better and not who's worse :P

As for him being a tank, yes he's muscley, but IMO he plays a bit on the light side sometimes. Nothing im worried about, but I do feel he needs to work on physicality in his game, if not on his body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Sweet mother of mercy, some awful garbage being posted here.
    Firstly,someone slating Curtin saying he won't cut it in c/ship after his first 40 mins of it?...during which, by the way, on what little ball went near him..I saw him win more 50/50 ball than Quill won in his whole career by the way. Anybody who was actually at the game might be more inclined to be furious with the amount of overhit passes from Maher, or the fact that Galvin at least 3/4 times took too much out of the ball when Curtin and others were showing for it.

Then we progress to people picking full forward lines with a combined weight of about 20 stone, dropping Darran O'Sullivan, BJK is a "bit light"...:rolleyes:

Step back needed by most of ye if this is really what ye are thinking.

This was the first game in 5/6 weeks...show me a team that isn't rusty after that layoff. Anybody remember the 1st round games of the past few years? Didn't think so...if the memory needs refreshing, we struggled badly in the first round at home to Waterford of all teams a few years back...massive slating on forums ensued..we were doomed, etc etc...AI Champions that year?....Yep, Kerry.
    The heat was stifling on sunday, lot of reference to it afterwards by people involved in both the hurling and football. For players with a lot of hard training done recently one would assume, this was bound to be tough going. It was plainly obvious that most of the players weren't killing themselves either..I know in an ideal world players should be motivated to perform the same regardless of the opposition, but I'd say its hard (especially for the experienced players) to get yourself up for a game like that. 2 weeks time however should be a different matter.

All that being said, some of Kerry's play was very sloppy. Some of the passing was awful. Galvin was worryingly off colour. Young was shown up once more as being lost at corner back..he's a wing back, hopefully he'll move out there for the Cork game.
    There are things to work on, but barring Marc and Donaghy returning to the starting team, I wouldn't expect a total revamp. Not sure what way we'll actually line out. Personally, I would play Declan at full forward again, name Donaghy at 15 and have him drift in and out periodically. Gooch at 13. Galvin, Darran and AN Other in the half line..I would play BJK...he seems to be slightly out of favour and was well shackled when he came on the last day, but to me he is capable of being a great asset. Strong on the ball, quick, direct with his delivery with both feet, able to take a score. He hasn't really got a prolonged run at any stage yet for some reason, but I wouldm have him on my team ahead of O'Leary, O'Donoghue, Walsh all day.
    Kealy,
    Marc, Bohane, Enright
    Tomás, Brosnan, Young,
    Maher, Sheahan,
    Galvin, Darran, BJK
    Gooch, Declan, Donaghy........that would be my team anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement