Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Look at the amount of games that are won and lost on momentum at this level.

I've lost count of how many times a great Kerry minor team, with all the talent in the world, has crumbled because a team sticks away a goal against them.

Look at last year. Kerry were in total control against Tipperary, and because Tipp got a good run at them, Kerry couldn't stem the tide and ended up being easily beaten.

Mentally Minor teams fall to pieces when the chips are down. Senior teams generally have a good leader, who will make a hit, or a long run, or go down and kill the momentum of the other team, and allow his own team to get back in the game, but at minor they keep on taking a beating.

Games are won or lost at all levels based on momentum - it's difficult to stem the tide and you'll always have periods of dominance for both teams at all levels.

Look at Kerry vs. Mayo in 2006 - Kerry got a head of steam up early on and Mayo couldn't do anything about it - that's senior level.

I think you're doing some minor players a disservice tbh, I've played on minor teams that have come back from being 6/7 points down and turned a game around - not because we got a goal or quickly tacked on a few points but because we dug in and ground out a result. Similarly, I've been on the end of beatings at minor level - and u21....and senior.

I do see your point - I'm just saying it doesn't apply across the boards for all minor teams it's there at all levels imo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good win for them, when the pressure was put to them, they didnt wilt.

0-17 to 3-4 but it was 14 to 3-4 with 2 mins left after a clare goal. while it was only a 4 point win, it was still 17 scores to 7 and the better team won.

this Tipp team is a serious outfit though, but they have 2 months now to sort out and get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Is it possible that Mickey Ned saw the draw and thought it better to lose to Tipperary, as he felt the extra games would do the lads good?
    If we had beaten Tipp, we would have had a very long layoff, and then a tough game vs Cork.
    Through the back door, he gets the easier side of the draw, and a game against Clare to make a Munster Final.

That is a much stronger team then we have had in any of the other games.

Darragh Carmody played in the Junior Semi-Final for Na Gaeil against St.Pats last weekend and scored 1-3 (and set up a penalty which he missed).

Cathal Ó Luing is back in the side, after putting in a great 25 minutes against Tipperary, he was bizzarly taken off.

Daly from St. Mary's is also meant to be a talented footballer.

From what i've read about these lads, they seem to have the talent, its the mental strength that Minors often lack.

Add to that Jack Savage who wasnt playing with Tipp but has been a central player since.

Tommy Walsh making his AFL debut this week I hope it goes well.

good win for them, when the pressure was put to them, they didnt wilt.

0-17 to 3-4 but it was 14 to 3-4 with 2 mins left after a clare goal. while it was only a 4 point win, it was still 17 scores to 7 and the better team won.

this Tipp team is a serious outfit though, but they have 2 months now to sort out and get it right.

Tipp beat Cork by 4points so they're in flying form at the moment.

Cork should have had a draw from what I've seen in the threads commenting on it which is encouraging - I think the loss will give Kerry that extra incentive so shaping up to be a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PaulieC wrote: »
    Tipp beat Cork by 4points so they're in flying form at the moment.

Cork should have had a draw from what I've seen in the threads commenting on it which is encouraging - I think the loss will give Kerry that extra incentive so shaping up to be a good game

Yeah Cork were a bit more wastefull in front of the goals, but Tipp were also missing three of their best players last night Colm O'Riordan who was also wing back last year, Ian Fahey was only able to come on as a sub as he was injured and last years Munster Minor Footballer of the year TJ Ryan was aslo only able to play the role of a sub as he was returning from an injury and hasn't really trained.

• Advertisement

Yeah Cork were a bit more wastefull in front of the goals, but Tipp were also missing three of their best players last night Colm O'Riordan who was also wing back last year, Ian Fahey was only able to come on as a sub as he was injured and last years Munster Minor Footballer of the year TJ Ryan was aslo only able to play the role of a sub as he was returning from an injury and hasn't really trained.

1st time I saw the Tipp minors was last years Munster Final and O'Riordan was the stand out player for me. Am I right in saying hes minor again next year? Serious talent either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

paddy978 wrote: »
    Add to that Jack Savage who wasnt playing with Tipp but has been a central player since.

Tommy Walsh making his AFL debut this week I hope it goes well.
    Jaysus, never heard of Savage before, but seems like he had a great game.

5 points in the first few minutes from wing forward.

I wonder does keane know anything about him, as he's a Narrie :P

Townies are well represented in this team, with Na Gaeil, John Mitchells, Kerins O'Rahillys, Stacks, Crokes and Legion all with a player or two.

A good few lads from west Kerry as well it seems.

North Kerry is very poorly represented it seems.

Also Delighted for Tommy, been watching his progress for the last few weeks.
    The Swans were unbeaten up till 2 weeks ago, but 2 weeks ago they were beaten narrowly, and then last week were hammered and could buy a goal.
    Tommy was on the Emergency list for the last couple of weeks (that a step below the subs, in case anyone gets iunjured in the day or 2 leading up to the match).
    He's named at Center Half Forward, so I presume he's gotten his fitness up since he arrived. I expect he'll see time at full forward as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jaysus, never heard of Savage before, but seems like he had a great game.

5 points in the first few minutes from wing forward.

I wonder does keane know anything about him, as he's a Narrie :P

Yeah his old man is Ken Savage, played full back for us for about 200 years. He was corner back in 2001 when we won the Championship as well. I always remember Jack being down around the pitch growing up, never without a ball in his hand. He was one of these kids who could kick with either foot from an early age, seemed to have all the skills.

I've been away the last few years so haven't really been able to keep up with the progress of the underage teams but he seems to have carried on developing anyway, I'm pretty sure he's played with the senior team at this stage.

There's a younger brother there as well named Gearoid who's a fantastic player, think he's probably in his second year at u16 now.
    Townies are well represented in this team, with Na Gaeil, John Mitchells, Kerins O'Rahillys, Stacks, Crokes and Legion all with a player or two.

Yeah it's good to see the town teams looking strong at underage, I don't think there's been a massive showing from Tralee at minor over the last bunch of years so good to see that the clubs are still capable of churning out decent players and that they're not losing kids to other sports etc.
    Also Delighted for Tommy, been watching his progress for the last few weeks.
    The Swans were unbeaten up till 2 weeks ago, but 2 weeks ago they were beaten narrowly, and then last week were hammered and could buy a goal.
    Tommy was on the Emergency list for the last couple of weeks (that a step below the subs, in case anyone gets iunjured in the day or 2 leading up to the match).
    He's named at Center Half Forward, so I presume he's gotten his fitness up since he arrived. I expect he'll see time at full forward as well.

Looking forward to this, Sean is flying out to see it and Barry John is already down there so hope it goes well for him. Tommy is a legend.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah his old man is Ken Savage, played full back for us for about 200 years. He was corner back in 2001 when we won the Championship as well. I always remember Jack being down around the pitch growing up, never without a ball in his hand. He was one of these kids who could kick with either foot from an early age, seemed to have all the skills.

I've been away the last few years so haven't really been able to keep up with the progress of the underage teams but he seems to have carried on developing anyway, I'm pretty sure he's played with the senior team at this stage.

There's a younger brother there as well named Gearoid who's a fantastic player, think he's probably in his second year at u16 now.

Yeah it's good to see the town teams looking strong at underage, I don't think there's been a massive showing from Tralee at minor over the last bunch of years so good to see that the clubs are still capable of churning out decent players and that they're not losing kids to other sports etc.

Looking forward to this, Sean is flying out to see it and Barry John is already down there so hope it goes well for him. Tommy is a legend.

Sylvester Hennessy tweeted that Jack Savage is under age next year. Swans game is 7 40 on Saturday morning. https://twitter.com/#!/sydneyswans Follow that on twitter for regular updates.

Yeah his old man is Ken Savage, played full back for us for about 200 years.

:D

Hows Keane the legion player in at corner forward doing so far this year?

I remember he was being talked up at age 15 about being brought in with the minors so big things were expected of him but haven't heard much since.

• Advertisement

Lads after hearing about Tommy, I proceded to watch the highlights of the 2009 AIF, to see what we are missing.

Its emotional even now watching that.

I can't believe we havn't won an All Ireland since, It feels like forever. The last All Ireland where we got on the pitch as well. It makes a huge difference IMO, Darran even mentions it in the speech.

When you think that Gooch doesn't get a single score on those highlights (I know he kicked free's etc.) and we still put up such a huge score. Tommy was immense, Tomás, Kennelly, Galvin, Scanlon and most of all Tom O'Sullivan. Look at some of the blocks, hands in and that one drive up the field.

Ní beidh a leithéad ann arís :(

Just realised the Tipp game is a double header with Tipp v Limerick hurling and €30 is the price of stand tickets. Am I right in saying the Tipp fans usually stand behind one of the goals? Will a large amount of Limerick fans be behind the other goal?

1st time I saw the Tipp minors was last years Munster Final and O'Riordan was the stand out player for me. Am I right in saying hes minor again next year? Serious talent either way.

You are right indeed he is underage again next year, which makes he's performances last year all the more remarkable, very comfortable on the ball and a driving wingback who is more than capable of taking a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Keane you are way of with your ages! Gearoid Savage is under 14 and got man of the match when KOR won the feile na nog a few weeks back.

The development of the minor team is moving along nicely and they are guaranteed at least an AI quarter final now which is promising.
    They have nothing to lose against Tipp who will be red-hot favourites

Keane you are way of with your ages! Gearoid Savage is under 14 and got man of the match when KOR won the feile na nog a few weeks back.

The development of the minor team is moving along nicely and they are guaranteed at least an AI quarter final now which is promising.
    They have nothing to lose against Tipp who will be red-hot favourites

Oh right. Sorry about that.

Watched Tommy this morning.

Kicked 2 Goals and a behind (13 points) in a 101 point win for Sydney.

Played quite well taking the opposition into account (they were shíte).

He played all over the forward line. Scored all his points from Full Forward really.

He took 7 or 8 marks, and was really carefull with his passing hitting a man at nearly every opportunity.

He has got so Fit, and huge physically.

Full Back, Center Back, Midfield, Center Forward, Full Forward - If he came back he'd slot back in :(

Maybe he's using the Aussies to train himself up for a few years, and then come back to Kerry, and win 5 in a Row? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Any word on Barry John Walsh?

Anyone know what the story is with him?

Heard someone say he is in OZ with Tommy - maybe he could mirror Tommy's training to some extent for when/if he comes back?

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Any word on Barry John Walsh?

Anyone know what the story is with him?

Heard someone say he is in OZ with Tommy - maybe he could mirror Tommy's training to some extent for when/if he comes back?
    Not positive about him.

I don't think he's training or anything over there.

Was a good footballer but never a great footballer.

Was a little too slow for Intercounty.

Now saying that he might be working hard, and training his ass off in Oz. He'd have all the best advice and training from his big bro. Could do with a ball winning forward if he ended up getting fit :P

In summery, I have absolutly no idea what BJW is at! :P

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/136777/default.aspx Tommy keeps his place, excellent news. When is our team for Sunday being named? Should be a very experimental full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/136777/default.aspx Tommy keeps his place, excellent news. When is our team for Sunday being named? Should be a very experimental full back line.

Should be named tonight I think,check the Kerry GAA website after 9pm,thats usually around the time the team is put up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Interesting to see who is named in the FB line.

Such a bizarre team:
    1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin) 2. Shane Enright (Tarbert) 3. Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) 4. Killian Young (Renard)
    5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Eoin Brosnan (Dr Crokes) 7. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)

8. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 9. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary’s)

10. Paul Galvin (Finuge) 11. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes)

13. Colm Cooper (Dr Crokes) Captain 14. Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) 15. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane)

Substitutes:

16. Brian Kelly (Legion)

17. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks)

18. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore)

19. James O’Donoghue (Legion)

20. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmett’s)

21. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahillys)

22. Seamus Scanlon (Currow)

23. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)

24. Jonathan Lyne (Legion) 25. Michael Geaney (Daingean Ui Chuis) 26. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes)

Read more: http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=4303&page=3#ixzz1vpCTslAT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

My initial reaction to seeing the above team was that it was a dummie team. But then I thought, Jack O Connor, generally doesn't do dummie teams. Unlike Conor Counihan and a few more, Jack only very rarely puts out the team that isnt starting, and only when it is a big game, to keep the opposition guessing.

Why start against Tipp, a game, which in all fairness we we should win comfortably... Donaghy, I thought had a great game against Mayo up to that moment of madness, in the second half he won some great ball. The mind boggles as to why they have gone and dropped him, (if indeed he has been dropped). Also I seem to remember Donaghy causing Tipp's full back all sorts of difficulty in last years championship. The other interesting aspect is that O Leary is starting ahead of him, O Leary had a great championship last year, but was off form during the league... So that means it isn't really a form call:confused:

Im surprised that O'Leary got the call ahead of Donaghy, or ever BJK or James O'Donaghue.

However, O'Leary is actually suited to the wing if his marker isn't taring up the field (which against Kerry the wing back rarely does because of the threat behing if he loses the ball).

O'Leary is the second cleverest footballer on the Kerry team (after Gooch), and see's passes, and runners angles in a split second. However at Corner Forward he usually is marked tight, and see's a lot of these passes blocked, or tipped. He'll have that extra yard of space from a Wingback, and could ping balls into Gooch and Declan all day.

TBH Donaghy and Maguire are the most unlucky out of that Subs bench, but Kerry usually do well when we have options off the Bench. In Tralee against Mayo, we brought the big boys on and they made an impact, whereas those lads were starting in Croke Park, so the young lads were expected to make the impact, which didn't happen on the day. I think the Likes of Curtain will thrive in the FF line, and Crowley will love having Tomás on the other side.

Learys a good wing forward from what I've seen of him playing there - was motm against Kildare in the u21 AI final a few years back setting up two of the goals iirc

Should be interesting but I'm not overly blown away by the changes made.

BJK def deserves to be starting in the championship though - was one of our better players in the league.

Im surprised that O'Leary got the call ahead of Donaghy, or ever BJK or James O'Donaghue.

However, O'Leary is actually suited to the wing if his marker isn't taring up the field (which against Kerry the wing back rarely does because of the threat behing if he loses the ball).

O'Leary is the second cleverest footballer on the Kerry team (after Gooch), and see's passes, and runners angles in a split second. However at Corner Forward he usually is marked tight, and see's a lot of these passes blocked, or tipped. He'll have that extra yard of space from a Wingback, and could ping balls into Gooch and Declan all day.

TBH Donaghy and Maguire are the most unlucky out of that Subs bench, but Kerry usually do well when we have options off the Bench. In Tralee against Mayo, we brought the big boys on and they made an impact, whereas those lads were starting in Croke Park, so the young lads were expected to make the impact, which didn't happen on the day. I think the Likes of Curtain will thrive in the FF line, and Crowley will love having Tomás on the other side.

Also on O'Leary being named at wing-forward, how likely is it that Declan O'Sullivan will remain in around the square constantly?

Tactically if you look at the Kerry attack with Gooch and Curtin as narrow corner-forwards while Declan drifts out the field to link play leaving room for Darren and Kieran to exploit the space left (either as result of space to move into or quick ball into Gooch and Curtin)

Galvin, Sheehan and Maher as a midfield trio platform to start attacks with Tomas and Crowley being given license to attack from deep when suitable. The midfield trio also attacks as a defensive line when possession is lost.

This looks to be very much a team selection designed with a view to the teams we are likely to meet later on in the summer.

Also I think Donaghy might be paying the price for heading to the Champions League final ;)

I would like to see one of Buckley or Scanlon given some game time if at all possible. Besides given the third choice some game time it would mean that one of Maher or Sheehan would be off the pitch and thus less likely to pick up an injury or booking.

PaulieC wrote: »
    BJK def deserves to be starting in the championship though - was one of our better players in the league.

Not sure I agree with this - I'd have O'Donoghue ahead of him in the pecking order especially in terms of football intelligence and composure. His decision taking isn't great. For me O'Donoghue picks the correct option on the pitch more consistently than BJK, who will occasionally pick the wrong option.

Not saying BJ Keane isn't a very good player, I just think he isn't at that top-level blue chip automatic name on the team-sheet level.

Also I think he is a player who is slightly more suited to the league more than Championship. Faster summer pitches don't seem to suit him quite as much as the league's slower pitches.

68Murph68 wrote: »
    This looks to be very much a team selection designed with a view to the teams we are likely to meet later on in the summer qualifiers.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Lads I thought Brolly was a little harsh with his comments on Kerry and saying that they can't win when its put up to them. Absolute nonsense Altogether. He said the same about Cork in 2010. He seriously has issues with teams outside of Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

teednab-el wrote: »
    Lads I thought Brolly was a little harsh with his comments on Kerry and saying that they can't win when its put up to them. Absolute nonsense Altogether. He said the same about Cork in 2010. He seriously has issues with teams outside of Ulster.

We looked lifeless today,but we got the result,that all that matters,re Brolly,I just mute the TV when he is talking,that man loves hearing the sound of his own voice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement