Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Longtime lurker first time poster here. There is an old saying "you can choose your friends but not your family" maybe its just a conversation starter? He's been open and better for this now then 4 dates in and you gettin a shock. Give him a chance judge him on what you see not on who he's related to.

Not to drag this off-topic, but this is why I'm up front with my profile

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Sunshine, if I knew the answer to that question I wouldn't be on POF myself!

:D LOL ok

Would this not plant the seed in someone's head that there is a gap for a decent dating site that moderates and verifys?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Sunshine, if I knew the answer to that question I wouldn't be on POF myself!

:D LOL ok

Would this not plant the seed in someone's head that there is a gap for a decent dating site that moderates and verifys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Where is the place to look for them then?

I've been on pof (well, was, deleted now) for about 2 years and no dates from it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Longtime lurker first time poster here. There is an old saying "you can choose your friends but not your family" maybe its just a conversation starter? He's been open and better for this now then 4 dates in and you gettin a shock. Give him a chance judge him on what you see not on who he's related to.

This is true, to be fair to him. He is lovely, and made it clear that he has no time for one night stands. You are right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Just back from a date with a lovely guy. With mailing and texting it seemed we had a bit of chemistry and I actually think he's better looking in real life than on photos. That said, while I had a great chat with him tonight, I didn't feel any sort of attraction :( Shame cos he's a lovely guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I think the gap in the market is a decent social networking site that's based around real identities but lets you get to know people you don't already know. I think what I mentioned before is a combination of boards and facebook.

When I look at a profile I find it really hard to get a sense of the person. Everyone seems so...generic. Laid back, loves a laugh, enjoys going out and staying in and so on. Maybe it's just the way my brain works but I have a far clearer idea of the people posting here despite them being faceless pseudonyms than I do practically any online profile which has a real picture and a supposed attempt to describe themselves.

(I'm not saying my profile is any better or worse, just that the concept itself is likely flawed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

sharper wrote: »
    I think the gap in the market is a decent social networking site that's based around real identities but lets you get to know people you don't already know. I think what I mentioned before is a combination of boards and facebook.

When I look at a profile I find it really hard to get a sense of the person. Everyone seems so...generic. Laid back, loves a laugh, enjoys going out and staying in and so on. Maybe it's just the way my brain works but I have a far clearer idea of the people posting here despite them being faceless pseudonyms than I do practically any online profile which has a real picture and a supposed attempt to describe themselves.

(I'm not saying my profile is any better or worse, just that the concept itself is likely flawed)

I think though people would (myself included) be wary of such a site though that, while gives others a better idea of the kind of person you are, would give away a lot of privacy.

I think the layout of Ok Cupid gives a better idea of what the person is like because people have to fill in their profiles better, answer questions etc. wheras on POF the place is full of "anything you wanna know just ask me k lol xx"

Unfortunately, OKCupid has about 10 people on it though :pac:

There are some STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID questions on OKC. Going through them now

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    Just back from a date with a lovely guy. With mailing and texting it seemed we had a bit of chemistry and I actually think he's better looking in real life than on photos. That said, while I had a great chat with him tonight, I didn't feel any sort of attraction :( Shame cos he's a lovely guy.

Sometimes you need to go on a couple of dates before you feel the chemistry? That's how it is for me anyway most of the time. Would you try going out with him again if you got on well and he seems nice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

"Do you find the idea of shaving your partners intimate area erotic"

Um, no.

Tbh Mickey,Id imagine its because the majority of people wouldnt be interested in someone that has a disability.

In an ideal world most people would be able to overlook it but we dont live in an ideal world.

:/

So am I wasting my time then? Surely there are people who would look past that??

Mickey there is plenty of people that will look past it. There are some ignorant and obnoxious people who will find fault in god himself and spend life thinking they are a bloody selection box when in fact a baby wipe would take most of their beauty off. There is someone out there for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maguined wrote: »
    OKC is a much better site in my opinion the only problem is that there are much less people on it!

Despite this I have messaged and received more messages on OKC than I have on POF. My main problem with POF is that I have hundreds of profiles to look through and even if I narrow it down to the profile pictures I find attractive enough to look at their profile the vast majority of these profiles are so small and filled with the same vague "I like music, I like my family & friends" that I generally have no motivation to email someone.

OKC profiles being so much bigger you tend to get a better sense of that person or at least enough to motivate me to email them and find out more that way. There has been less than a handful of profiles on POF that I felt got across what someone is like enough for me to send a mail...

... to which I never get a reply. :pac:

IMO the best feature on OKC is the ability to hide profiles (be they people you simply aren't interested in or ones you mailed ages ago but to no reply) from coming up on your searches. It helps avoid repetition. That's a big problem I have with POF - the same faces continuously appearing. You have to thrall through dozens, if not hundreds of people you've seen before before you find a new potential match. The whole process would be exponentially better if tehy added such a 'hide' function.

You should be able to find the question I wrote. Hint: search 'dinosaurs'.

is there an end to these questions/? I'm getting fed up with them.

is there an end to these questions/? I'm getting fed up with them.

Nope. You can do them forever (if you're crazy).

Galvasean wrote: »
    Nope. You can do them forever (if you're crazy).

LOL how do u get away from them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

LOL how do u get away from them then?

Should be some tabs along the top IIRC. Been so long since I answered questions on it I cant even remember how to find them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Hey Guys,
    So I'm on pof a while.....a while too long actually.
    Recently there it seems to be attracting far too many men looking for nsa! It always had an element of this because its free but its gotten so bad recently.
    I don't understand people looking for nsa on a dating site when its so easy to find it on an average night out.
    most if the new user are faceless and just have pictures of their body! I think I'll be deleting my account for good this week end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

Yes that's what it was like. I genuinely liked him, and was very attracted to him. I miss his texts in the morning and our conversations. I am very surprised at how this is bothering me so much! But yeah 'what's for me won't pass me' :)

Ok time to give up me thinks.

• Advertisement

blacklilly wrote: »
    I don't understand people looking for nsa on a dating site when its so easy to find it on an average night out.

Not to mention the many NSA specific sites out there.
    What is annoying is that lads looking for NSA on dating sites know the majority of women on them have messages from guys looking for NSA blocked, so they lie about their intentions. This in turn makes women (understandably) more cautious/skeptical of the intentions of all men messaging them on dating sites - which sucks for everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Galvasean wrote: »
    Not to mention the many NSA specific sites out there.
    What is annoying is that lads looking for NSA on dating sites know the majority of women on them have messages from guys looking for NSA blocked, so they lie about their intentions. This in turn makes women (understandably) more cautious/skeptical of the intentions of all men messaging them on dating sites - which sucks for everyone involved.

Yep, the creeps driving decent girls away and in turn the decent guys are often met with (understandably I guess) suspicion.

Plus none of them take the time to read profiles. mine specifically states important not looking for nsa and I still get sleepy mails with pictures of man parts.

Plus none of them take the time to read profiles. mine specifically states important not looking for nsa and I still get sleepy mails with pictures of man parts.

Important = im

Herrick wrote: »
    Yep, the creeps driving decent girls away and in turn the decent guys are often met with (understandably I guess) suspicion.

It works both ways

Important = im

:confused:

It works both ways

I know. But in fairness on all the sites I've been on, I've never once had girls sending me pics of their bits and bobs and the like.

The closest I've had was some girl messaged me saying "I'd suck you dry" :eek: It was ok though, she was hot :P

Important = im

:confused:

predictive text, my second last reply had the word "important" instead of I'm :-)

Herrick wrote: »
    It works both ways

I know. But in fairness on all the sites I've been on, I've never once had girls sending me pics of their bits and bobs and the like.

The closest I've had was some girl messaged me saying "I'd suck you dry" :eek: It was ok though, she was hot :P

Did you accept her kind offer?

today I've received 5 pictures of mens bits! I feel like a penis expert at this stage!

• Advertisement

Did you accept her kind offer?

today I've received 5 pictures of mens bits! I feel like a penis expert at this stage!

Nah, I'd didn't feel like driving from Clare to Cork at one o'clock in the morning, told her I'd have to take a rain check :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement