Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Well done! :) My teacher says 3/4 pages, but I usually write 5/6 to be safe. You might be able to cut out some explaining if you've got a lot of that in it, as long as the comparisons are still there. Sometimes it says 'at least two texts', but otherwise I think you've to compare all 3 - but I might be wrong, I usually focus on the (a) and (b) parts.

Thanks :) Yeah the one I did said at least two texts but I thought I could just do three and that way I can still reduce it to the two texts if I want and I can easily look over the essay. I find the 70mark questions easier because it's usually a general question mostly. I end up writing too long for the a) or b) parts or I might go off point.

I went through the poets last nigh in the exam papers and a few poets have actually come up twice.

2011 - ED , WB , RF , EB
    2010 - WB , AK ,PK ,TS
    2009 - DW , JK ,JM ,EB
    2008 - PL , JD , DM , AR
    2007 - RF , TS , JM , SP
    2006 - JD ,TH ,Eliza B , ML
    2005 - EB , ED ,TS ,WB
    2004 -GM , PK , DM ,SP
    2003 - JD , RF , SP , SH
    2002 - Eliza B , EB , ML , SS
    2001 - Eliza B , JK , PL ,ML

Elizabeth Bishop and Michael Longley 2001/2002
    Sylvia Plath 2003/2004
    William Yeats 2010/2011

So I guess there is a chance that Boland could come up again I think I'll still learn my essay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Thanks :) Yeah the one I did said at least two texts but I thought I could just do three and that way I can still reduce it to the two texts if I want and I can easily look over the essay. I find the 70mark questions easier because it's usually a general question mostly. I end up writing too long for the a) or b) parts or I might go off point.

Feck the comparative! You'd be better off putting your togs on and going for a swim at this stage, perfecting your swimming skills to evade the island when the old folks find out the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I think I missed my 6th year photo :( Everyone was told it was going to be taken at 2:00 so I had PE at 11.40 and went home as I always do as I don't do PE and there is no class to study in anyways...The photo was taken then I think :(:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

If you just cover Units 1, 4, 5, 6 (ABQ Units).

Your guaranteed at least 5 Questions to choose from.

Q.1- Always Unit 1
    Q.2- Always Unit 6
    Q.5- Always Unit 4
    Q.6- Always Unit 5 + 4 Mixed
    Q.7- Always Unit 5

And you only have to do 4 out of these 5. :D
    Ohhh thats lovely :D whats Q4 then, unit 7? I actually know unit 7 quite well too anyways coz we do it in geography, I guess I can half-neglect q2 and q3 then :P
    finality wrote: »
    Oh if you're doing the a and b part, I think you're fine to use one and then the other two. :P
    I would hope so :P
    You really think so? Usually I find the 70 mark ones are more specific, e.g. key moments. In my mock the 70 mark essay was how GV+V changed between the opening and closing scene, wheres the 30/40 mark one was just 'How did it make you feel' 'How did two others make you feel the same emotions' or something ridiculously broad like that :pac:

Had an awful dream last night that I got a D3 in English, a U (extremely low grade according to my subconcious :L) in some subject, an OD2 in music which I dont even do, and A1s in Irish and geography. Then I had a "100-1/100" in maths which is a pretty funny way to look at it, and I was freaking out thinking I'd failed :L

The D3 in English though </3

• Advertisement

Ohhh thats lovely :D whats Q4 then, unit 7? I actually know unit 7 quite well too anyways coz we do it in geography, I guess I can half-neglect q2 and q3 then :P

I would hope so :P

You really think so? Usually I find the 70 mark ones are more specific, e.g. key moments. In my mock the 70 mark essay was how GV+V changed between the opening and closing scene, wheres the 30/40 mark one was just 'How did it make you feel' 'How did two others make you feel the same emotions' or something ridiculously broad like that :pac:

Had an awful dream last night that I got a D3 in English, a U (extremely low grade according to my subconcious :L) in some subject, an OD2 in music which I dont even do, and A1s in Irish and geography. Then I had a "100-1/100" in maths which is a pretty funny way to look at it, and I was freaking out thinking I'd failed :L

The D3 in English though </3

Yeah I find the questions that require feeling much harder to do. For that question that came up in your mock about how the GV & V changed between the opening and closing scene. I would have the 1.introduction 2. Opening 3. Plot 4. society 5. key relationship 6. ending 7. conclusion
    Then I'd compare each of those as normal then. In the opening say in Babylon it was pessimistic and at the end it was still pessimistic I'd just state at the end that there was not a change in it still had a depressing, bleak etc. ending . In the other paragraphs I'd be stating in each of those whether the vision was of a positive/negative . If you get what I mean? It's just basically the comparing the texts as normal then you just adjust your answer to fit the question . You're just being asked there like say in each of those paragraphs how the general vison had changed and if it was still negative you would just mention that. If you get what I mean?

I see exactly what you mean and I'd have done that too, but my teacher said you had to talk about just the opening and closing scenes...maybe he misread it or maybe they wouldnt want just that in the LC, but the (a) and (b) barely requires any thinking I find :P

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Arghhhh I'm so frustrated trying to write this comparative essay, I'm only on the 3rd bleedin page! :mad:

Lads how is your study for Geography going? :/ I still have a load of answers I need to learn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

question 4 is management, question 3 in unit 7...hey patchy any chance are u doin ocean and atomsphere as ur option in geog, if so what are u preparing for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

stapler10 wrote: »
    question 4 is management, question 3 in unit 7...hey patchy any chance are u doin ocean and atomsphere as ur option in geog, if so what are u preparing for it?
    Just realised upon finishing my essay on the Character of Gertrude in Hamlet that it's my 3rd Hamlet essay i've ever written! O:

How long is the Single text answer even meant to be? I did 5 1/2 pages for that one there but I don't feckin' know if it's enough as the only other one i've ever done was for my Mocks. Can anyone please let me know the average length a Single Text answer should be?

David1994 wrote: »
    Lads how is your study for Geography going? :/ I still have a load of answers I need to learn :(

Tomorrow I am going to learn the whole course, no I'm not joking :P It'll be a good 10 hour session in the library :D 9 physical, 13 regional, 7 economic elective and 3 options. Can't wait!

I see exactly what you mean and I'd have done that too, but my teacher said you had to talk about just the opening and closing scenes...maybe he misread it or maybe they wouldnt want just that in the LC, but the (a) and (b) barely requires any thinking I find :P

Oh if he said you just had to talk about the opening and closing. I think he means you'd just mention the change in the opening and closing but then compare the other paragraphs as normal then say state at the end that it had changed or state that the vision had not changed. I don't think it would just be on the opening and closing scenes I don't think there would be enough to write.

Wesc. wrote: »
    Tomorrow I am going to learn the whole course, no I'm not joking :P It'll be a good 10 hour session in the library :D 9 physical, 13 regional, 7 economic elective and 3 options. Can't wait!
    What regional stuff are you learning?

****! Fair play to ya :P How do you approach your answers?-Do you learn off whole essays or just use some of your knowledge of the topic for your SRPS?
    I find myself sometimes having to learn off whole essays a lot the time :(

Ireland: Tertiary and growth of Dublin.

Mezz: Primary, secondary and tertiary.

India: Primary, secondary, tertiary, culture AND growth of Mumbai.

Also, concept of a region and the EU's economic and cultural impact :)

I am learning:
    • Primary activities,Secondary activities and Tertiary activies in Ireland
    • Secondary activities and Tertiary in Paris Basin
    • Development of urban region in Ireland and Paris
    • Primary activities in subcontinent(India)
    • Importance of culture in India
    • EU expansion

I think that may be enough for me as I don't like the mezzogiorno that much.(I might learn tertiary activities in Mezzogiorno)
    What about you?

David1994 wrote: »
    ****! Fair play to ya :P How do you approach your answers?-Do you learn off whole essays or just use some of your knowledge of the topic for your SRPS?
    I find myself sometimes having to learn off whole essays a lot the time :(

Well, I've actually all the essays half-learnt off because my geography teacher made us work our asses off! We basically had to learn the whole course for summer, christmas and then the mocks so I'm well prepared!

What I usually do is write out an SRP in one line and just know that line :P So then it's just like 15 lines to know, but I always have an extra 2 SRPs. I've had my answers done ages ago so I'm lucky I don't have to write them up!

Well, I've actually all the essays half-learnt off because my geography teacher made us work our asses off! We basically had to learn the whole course for summer, christmas and then the mocks so I'm well prepared!

What I usually do is write out an SRP in one line and just know that line :P So then it's just like 15 lines to know, but I always have an extra 2 SRPs. I've had my answers done ages ago so I'm lucky I don't have to write them up!

Yeah I know a few of answers really well already but some I am starting from scratch :P I also have my answers done out already just a few human geography ones to get up to 30/30.I always hand up questions to my teacher and they are full mark ones that I study :D

I was planning on doing:
    • Ireland- Teritary and Growth of Urban Region
    • Paris- Primary/Secondary/Teritary/Growth of Urban Region
    • Mezzogiorno- Primary/Secondary
    • SW USA- Primary/Secondary/Teritary/Growth of Urban Region
    • EU Expansion on Irish Economy
    • Culture in SW USA

14 I think? I'm going to learn them all on Saturday. I need an A.

For physical, do you think this is enough:
    • Landform Development
    • Human Interaction with Rocks
    • Human Interaction with Surface Processes
    • Structures of Deformation
    • Formation of Sedimentary Rocks
    • Formation of Metamorphic Rocks
    • Isostatic Processes
    • Plate Tectonics
    • Weathering
    • Formation of 1 Limestone Feature

• Advertisement

@PictureFrame I think you are completely sorted with them for regional in fact you may not need all of them but if you are comfortable with learning them all I would!
    I am not preparing that much for regional or physical(10 for regional and 8 for physical I think). I also need an A1. How do you learn off your essays out of interest? :P

For physical, do you think this is enough:
    • Landform Development
    • Human Interaction with Rocks
    • Human Interaction with Surface Processes
    • Structures of Deformation
    • Formation of Sedimentary Rocks
    • Formation of Metamorphic Rocks
    • Isostatic Processes
    • Plate Tectonics
    • Weathering
    • Formation of 1 Limestone Feature

That's pretty much what I'm doing apart from structures of deformation so yeah you'll be grand.

All these people going for A1s in geography are worrying me since the average is 3%! I really want an A1, got 95 in the mock like, and if ye're all learning off those essays then I don't know if we'll all get in that 3%! I remember you, PF, saying you're going for an A2 in geo, and you're learning off nearly every single question that could appear! Would ya not go for the A1? :L

I'm going for an A2/A1 in geography, I havent particularly learned essays, they're all floating around my mind from constant geography tests (seriously, like bi-weekly) :L Plus the predictability is ridiculous, lets hope they dont change it this year :D
    stapler10 wrote: »
    Ah thank you :) Haha and yeah I am, its gonna cost me my A :( I'll PM you about it :)
    Oh if he said you just had to talk about the opening and closing. I think he means you'd just mention the change in the opening and closing but then compare the other paragraphs as normal then say state at the end that it had changed or state that the vision had not changed. I don't think it would just be on the opening and closing scenes I don't think there would be enough to write.
    Nope he meant literally just opening and closing scenes, I dunno if he was right or maybe I misinterpreted him, but yeah there'd be nothing to write at all! Probably wont be phrased as ambiguously in June anyway :)

That's pretty much what I'm doing apart from structures of deformation so yeah you'll be grand.

All these people going for A1s in geography are worrying me since the average is 3%! I really want an A1, got 95 in the mock like, and if ye're all learning off those essays then I don't know if we'll all get in that 3%! I remember you, PF, saying you're going for an A2 in geo, and you're learning off nearly every single question that could appear! Would ya not go for the A1? :L
    Oh god I would LOVE the A1, I just don't know if i've done enough to get it. My project has to be full mark material, I put weeks of work into it. I think I better just kick my ass into gear and try my best to get the A1. Do you think it's possible if I start putting in loads of effort now? I got a B1 in the mock btw!

I am hoping for an A1 and the statistics are not too appealing ;/

Oh god I would LOVE the A1, I just don't know if i've done enough to get it. My project has to be full mark material, I put weeks of work into it. I think I better just kick my ass into gear and try my best to get the A1. Do you think it's possible if I start putting in loads of effort now? I got a B1 in the mock btw!

The sooner you realise how easy geography is the better :P Literally all you need to be able to do is know enough answers (you've a ridiculous amount of choice) and write fast. Maybe a little bullsh*tting ability would help too if a question isn't great, but surely it's an easy A!?
    But yeah, of course you can :D

I'm going for an A2/A1 in geography, I havent particularly learned essays, they're all floating around my mind from constant geography tests (seriously, like bi-weekly) :L Plus the predictability is ridiculous, lets hope they dont change it this year :D

Ah thank you :) Haha and yeah I am, its gonna cost me my A :( I'll PM you about it :)

Nope he meant literally just opening and closing scenes, I dunno if he was right or maybe I misinterpreted him, but yeah there'd be nothing to write at all! Probably wont be phrased as ambiguously in June anyway :)

Oh right , thats odd I guess that is still a good question although you might not think at the time it's only about the opening and closing. Hopefully that question won't come up. The essay I done was just a general title "The GV&V can be very similar or very different" which is a great question I'd love if something like that came up.

Anyone know if they mark the Geography projects hard?? I hope I did enough to get at least 90+ in it!

The sooner you realise how easy geography is the better :P Literally all you need to be able to do is know enough answers (you've a ridiculous amount of choice) and write fast. Maybe a little bullsh*tting ability would help too if a question isn't great, but surely it's an easy A!?
    But yeah, of course you can :D

The writing fast thing is not really a problem, I did 24 pages for my Mock in the 2 hours 50 minutes! :pac: You've totally just motivated me. I'm gonna spend most of the weekend now doing all Geography. I'm going to get the Physical and the Regional definitely learnt off fully and maybe 2 Geoecology essays. Do you find just rewriting the SRP'S is the best way to help you learn?

• Advertisement

Oh right , thats odd I guess that is still a good question although you might not think at the time it's only about the opening and closing. Hopefully that question won't come up. The essay I done was just a general title "The GV&V can be very similar or very different" which is a great question I'd love if something like that came up.

I'm just learning off a sample essay and going in with that, should be fine worked in the mock. I'd also love the GV&V can be bright or dark or a mixture of brightness and darkness, discuss. They year who got that one were so lucky :pac:

@David, I hope not :L I went way over the word count, but I definitely have max SRPs so the minimum I can get is 95 :D Still wrote 993 for the word count though ;)

@ PF What I do is just condense my answer into like one line for every SRP, and then learn off the essay that way :) I'm pretty quick at learning them (well, at the library) so it only takes me like 10 minutes to learn one off!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement