Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I don't know if I should just not learn Seamus Heaney anymore I did a essay and that essay took me hours to write because I wasn't sure what to write and I only got a C1. My teacher said it was just short but I literally just didn't really know how to answer about him. I'm probably better to stay away from his poetry. I attempted to answer a few different questions on him and found it very difficult :S. Maybe I should pick up Larkin instead he seems easier and then go over Kavanagh.

I really should get back to geography , business and english I haven't done any of those this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wesc. wrote: »
    I'm just learning off a sample essay and going in with that, should be fine worked in the mock. I'd also love the GV&V can be bright or dark or a mixture of brightness and darkness, discuss. They year who got that one were so lucky :pac:

@David, I hope not :L I went way over the word count, but I definitely have max SRPs so the minimum I can get is 95 :D Still wrote 993 for the word count though ;)

@ PF What I do is just condense my answer into like one line for every SRP, and then learn off the essay that way :) I'm pretty quick at learning them (well, at the library) so it only takes me like 10 minutes to learn one off!
    You have them handwritten then? I might just write them out quickly and draw simple diagrams starting Saturday Morning and try and do it that way then. How class would it be to actually get the A1? I know it's possible and all the rests but it'd be so nice to get it after all the years work we've put into Geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

You have them handwritten then? I might just write them out quickly and draw simple diagrams starting Saturday Morning and try and do it that way then. How class would it be to actually get the A1? I know it's possible and all the rests but it'd be so nice to get it after all the years work we've put into Geography.

Well I just write them out once and learn them off, I don't think constantly writing them out helps me learn them and it takes up too much time tbh.
    Well if I don't get an A1 in geo I'd be p*ssed! Saying that, I think I'd actually cry if I got an A1 in English :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Wesc. wrote: »
    Well I just write them out once and learn them off, I don't think constantly writing them out helps me learn them and it takes up too much time tbh.
    Well if I don't get an A1 in geo I'd be p*ssed! Saying that, I think I'd actually cry if I got an A1 in English :P

Writing seems to work for me :P The thing is English and Geography are the subjects I am looking for A1s but if I got an A2 in Irish I think I would cry tbh :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'd actually die of happiness with an A1 in English, it'd mean way more than in any other subject because its not one you can learn off; imo it really shows intelligence. :)

I've gotten A1s in all the stuff I've done lately e.g. 96-98 in short stories, 46-48 in comprehension A and Bs, 65 in comparative, 54 in Hamlet and 46+ in poetry, but I only got a B1 in my mock because I messed up my story's purpose and yeah :(

I'd also be disgusted if I got less than an A1 in French but lets not even think about that... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

So... Togepi has been banned for a week :'( let's not have too much fun without her :P

I know I'd love an A in english I don't mind whether it's an A1/A2 an A's an A :). Also I love English it's my favourite subject I really enjoy it :). I'm really going to miss English next year :(.

I'd love a A/B in business as it's also going to part of my course next year so I need to know most of the stuff in it and I find it really interesting. I just hope I use the correct format for the verb. I might hand my teacher a mock to correct even though I used to book I'll know if I did the right format.

The rest I don't mind as along as I get a B1 in the other honours then at least a C3 in my ordinary subjects.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'd actually die of happiness with an A1 in English, it'd mean way more than in any other subject because its not one you can learn off; imo it really shows intelligence. :)

I've gotten A1s in all the stuff I've done lately e.g. 96-98 in short stories, 46-48 in comprehension A and Bs, 65 in comparative, 54 in Hamlet and 46+ in poetry, but I only got a B1 in my mock because I messed up my story's purpose and yeah :(

I'd also be disgusted if I got less than an A1 in French but lets not even think about that... :P

Were those answers prepared or from class tests? :D All my prepared stuff is pretty much 'A' standard but I still have to learn some stuff! The only thing is I can never find time to practice English answers :P

David1994 wrote: »
    Were those answers prepared or from class tests? :D All my prepared stuff is pretty much 'A' standard but I still have to learn some stuff! The only thing is I can never find time to practice English answers :P
    We dont do tests :P We did one on unseen poetry and I got 20/20 but they hardly count :P

So really you could say I prepared the answers I suppose, but I got 46/50 on my mock Larkin answer and 65/70 on my mock comparative answer :) Stories are a bit of a problem on the spot but sure...maybe I can fit one in :cool: I make time, I dont even need to but I love the subject to bits and love annoying my teacher with more work :D

We dont do tests :P We did one on unseen poetry and I got 20/20 but they hardly count :P

So really you could say I prepared the answers I suppose, but I got 46/50 on my mock Larkin answer and 65/70 on my mock comparative answer :) Stories are a bit of a problem on the spot but sure...maybe I can fit one in :cool: I make time, I dont even need to but I love the subject to bits and love annoying my teacher with more work :D
    I got 20/20 in mock unseen poetry and love English too! :D Its just when you have lots of other work to do, its hard to find time.However I probably dont focus as much on English as I know Im good at it!

• Advertisement

David1994 wrote: »
    I got 20/20 in mock unseen poetry and love English too! :D Its just when you have lots of other work to do, its hard to find time.However I probably dont focus as much on English as I know Im good at it!
    I got 13/20 in the mock coz I'd no idea how much to write :o English is the best :D Ahhh true, I just neglect history for my other 6 subjects, shameful but I hate it :P

My teacher is backing me for an A2/A1 so I feel confident and could easily become complacent, but its almost a sort of pressure that keeps me going when I get lazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I hate English! It's weird because I love reading :p I always get Bs. No matter how much or how little study I do I get a B! Only A I ever got was in the JC which is strange because I didn't even get to finish the paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I see exactly what you mean and I'd have done that too, but my teacher said you had to talk about just the opening and closing scenes...maybe he misread it or maybe they wouldnt want just that in the LC, but the (a) and (b) barely requires any thinking I find :P

I did that question in my mock and I only really referred to the opening and closing, with a brief mention of how the plot helped to change the GV&V. It wasn't very long at all, I only wrote about 4 pages and I honestly thought I'd done really badly in it because there was so little to say. But when I got it back, I got nearly full marks on it and the examiner commented at the end saying it was "bang on" :o I can't remember offhand exactly how I laid it out. I could PM it to you if you wanted? (Not trying to be all "Oh look at me, I did it well," just if you wanted an example)

leaveiton wrote: »
    I did that question in my mock and I only really referred to the opening and closing, with a brief mention of how the plot helped to change the GV&V. It wasn't very long at all, I only wrote about 4 pages and I honestly thought I'd done really badly in it because there was so little to say. But when I got it back, I got nearly full marks on it and the examiner commented at the end saying it was "bang on" :o I can't remember offhand exactly how I laid it out. I could PM it to you if you wanted? (Not trying to be all "Oh look at me, I did it well," just if you wanted an example)
    4 pages? :O I'd love to see it just to see how you managed to fit comparisons in, if you had time :P But no need to type it all up if its any trouble, its purely curiosity because I always do the a/b one :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

If you just cover Units 1, 4, 5, 6 (ABQ Units).

Your guaranteed at least 5 Questions to choose from.

Q.1- Always Unit 1
    Q.2- Always Unit 6
    Q.5- Always Unit 4
    Q.6- Always Unit 5 + 4 Mixed
    Q.7- Always Unit 5

And you only have to do 4 out of these 5. :D

YES MY PLAN TO DO VERY LITTLE FOR BUSINESS ACTUALLY WORKS! HALLELUJAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

To all the guys posting earlier re: English Paper I etc. What do you find is the best way to prepare for the Question B's? I think I got 39/50 in the Mock but the examiner was extremely tough IMO (not making excuses just telling it how it is), but I know I can get that score up to 46 or 47 with a bit of practise. Would you just advice looking through the Past Papers and practising them? I think I may pick a random Paper I from the last 9 years or so (from a hat :pac:) and try and do the entire paper and give it to my Teacher to correct as sort of the last 'mini-mock' I do.

I was just a bit put-off by the marking in the Mock. Even the Comprehension questions, I remember (i) was worth like 15 marks. I wrote about 2-2.5 A4 pages and kept referring back to the question asked every paragraph and only ended up getting 12/15. Not a terrible score by any means, but when you put that much work into something every additional mark makes a huge difference.

Also for Paper II, what do you think is too much to prepare for Hamlet, I was considering:

Characters
    • Hamlet
    • Gertrude
    • Polonius
    • Horatio
    • Struggle between Claudius and Hamlet (as I don't think there's much point in studying Claudius on his own seeing as he was on last year)

General Questions
    • Importance of Soliloquy's
    • Imagery/Symbolism
    • Appearance Vs. Reality
    • Loyalty/Betrayl
    • Dramatic Scene
    • Appeal to 21st Century
    • Deception
    • Love

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

So I did about an hour's work there in Applied maths. I feel as if I've made progress somehow. I should do this more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

leaveiton wrote: »

Yes because you answered the question! Only the opening and closing was required. Some people went off on a tangent for 6 pages and lost many marks because the question was not answered. This is what I dislike about how some teachers approach English and answer length. Instead of teaching to answer a question, at times it seems that it is more important to satisfy a certain length.

So good job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Fainted yesterday and being kept at home today :( Need to get books out of my locker and don't know how to go about getting them coz I'd have to walk upto school :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

The fact that I rarely going to school anymore is starting to worry me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Went to school for two hours today. I cannot sit through another OL Irish class or graduation prep class. "GIRLS THE GRADUATION IS SO SO IMPORTANT!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

Went to school for two hours today. I cannot sit through another OL Irish class or graduation prep class. "GIRLS THE GRADUATION IS SO SO IMPORTANT!!"

why do ye have graduations? ur degree graduation at 3rd level is far more important

kitty9 wrote: »
    why do ye have graduations? ur degree graduation at 3rd level is far more important

I do think we should have graduations. I just don't think there should be so much time spent preparing for them a few weeks before the leaving. Yesterday I was given out to by a teacher for not singing in the choir (which I was forced into) and she said "SINGING FOR YOU GRADUATION IS SO SO IMPORTANT" and I was like "eh..alri.". My life no longer feels worth living because I didn't sing for her. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

I do think we should have graduations. I just don't think there should be so much time spent preparing for them a few weeks before the leaving. Yesterday I was given out to by a teacher for not singing in the choir (which I was forced into) and she said "SINGING FOR YOU GRADUATION IS SO SO IMPORTANT" and I was like "eh..alri.". My life no longer feels worth living because I didn't sing for her. :o

uggh id tell her to go shove it :D

she wont be thinking of you on wednesday august 15th when u get the results.

kitty9 wrote: »
    uggh id tell her to go shove it :D

she wont be thinking of you on wednesday august 15th when u get the results.

Ugh, I know. She was a religion teacher tho, and they all seem to hate me (something about not turning up to religion classes for the best part of two years :rolleyes:)

I am so excited for the results to come out. I just really want to open that envelope and see that I have enough points for my course. :D

So the one class I went in for wasn't on. I went out beforehand then a few of us went back for their biology projects I went back for English then my teacher said she was doing role of women again that I could go home as I did that already. She really thinks that it's going to come up. She's not going over the paper 1 speeches until next week . I could've stayed at home .

I'm going to try and do loads of work tonight I'm glad Britains Got Talent isn't on either, no distractions for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

biology projects

wat

finality wrote: »
    wat

My thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

The closer I get to the Leaving the less work I do. At the start of the year I was doing 4 hours a day (weekends off though... lolz.), got 465 in the mocks, and now I'm lucky to get 3 done. I do most of my study at school, but the closer the Leaving comes, the less I could be f*cked studying... ZzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzz. This is actually what I'm like most evenings after school

snorlax.gif

• Advertisement

finality wrote: »
    wat

Oh I meant the experiments. i asked them if it was worth anything they said it isn't worth anything. I'm not sure though as I don't do biology but I know they had to get experiments written up and sign it off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement