Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I love my year :( I'm gonna miss them terrible next year :(

In other news, finished my history mock :eek: It was horrible to say the least :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The LC timer is totally wrong I wanted to set it as my homepage but it says the LC is now so it's way off. I might just start counting the days of a calendar on my laptop instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The LC timer is totally wrong I wanted to set it as my homepage but it says the LC is now so it's way off. I might just start counting the days of a calendar on my laptop instead.

It is now though? How did you find English paper one? I thought the comprehension was really hard actually. Only wrote 4 pages for my essay.
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Yeah it was pretty hard ugh, just hoping Larkin comes up tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

reznov wrote: »
    Yes because you answered the question! Only the opening and closing was required. Some people went off on a tangent for 6 pages and lost many marks because the question was not answered. This is what I dislike about how some teachers approach English and answer length. Instead of teaching to answer a question, at times it seems that it is more important to satisfy a certain length.

So good job :pac:

Ha, thanks :pac: I actually typed it up for Patchy so if anyone else wants a look just PM me. Again, not trying to show off or anything, because I really don't like people like that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

leaveiton wrote: »
    Ha, thanks :pac: I actually typed it up for Patchy so if anyone else wants a look just PM me. Again, not trying to show off or anything, because I really don't like people like that :o

Could I get a PM for that too please? :D

Eathrin wrote: »
    It is now though? How did you find English paper one? I thought the comprehension was really hard actually. Only wrote 4 pages for my essay.

Haha the one I did was okay, I just hope my narrative essay was interesting I liked the title this year :). Ah paper 2 I really want role of women to come up..

I love my year :( I'm gonna miss them terrible next year :(

I'm of a mixed opinion here. Sometimes I really like my school and my year but other times I just can't wait to get away from those idiots.
    If I counted them I'd say I'd only get on with 1 in 3. I think I'm becoming a bit of a misanthropist.:(

Can anyone help me with this OL maths Q7 on differentiation I don't know if I could the question right.

it's 2007 Q7 B i)

(x2 + 4 )(4x3 + 5) (product rule)

So I differentiated it as normal and put it into the product rule formula.

I got down to

(x2 + 9 ) 12x + (4x3 + 5)2x

Then multiplied it in my answer was: 12x3 +108x + 8x4 + 10x

The back of the exam papers says the answer is : 20x4 + 108x + 10X
    But then the marking scheme says
    it's (x2 + 9 ) 12x + (4x3 + 5)2x (10 marks)

or 20x4 + 108x + 10X

Does that mean I got it right earlier and went too far? I'm not sure if I've done something wrong or if I had the question right and wasn't supposed to multiply in? I don't know where the answer of 20x4 + 108x + 10x
    is coming from???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Eathrin wrote: »
    I'm of a mixed opinion here. Sometimes I really like my school and my year but other times I just can't wait to get away from those idiots.
    If I counted them I'd say I'd only get on with 1 in 3. I think I'm becoming a bit of a misanthropist.:(
    You a misanthropist ? :P I doubt that Cian :P :)
    I'm the same most of the time, some days I love them, other days I'm sick of them :rolleyes: But really if I'm honest I've had 6 good years in my school (even though I complain about it :rolleyes:) and today and many others have been a highlight of it :) and tbh my year are something else, they really are :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Can anyone help me with this OL maths Q7 on differentiation I don't know if I could the question right.

it's 2007 Q7 B i)

(x2 + 4 )(4x3 + 5) (product rule)

So I differentiated it as normal and put it into the product rule formula.

I got down to

(x2 + 9 ) 12x + (4x3 + 5)2x

Then multiplied it in my answer was: 12x3 +108x + 8x4 + 10x

The back of the exam papers says the answer is : 20x4 + 108x + 10X
    But then the marking scheme says
    it's (x2 + 9 ) 12x + (4x3 + 5)2x (10 marks)

or 20x4 + 108x + 10X

Does that mean I got it right earlier and went too far? I'm not sure if I've done something wrong or if I had the question right and wasn't supposed to multiply in? I don't know where the answer of 20x4 + 108x + 10x
    is coming from???

I'll give it a go but this is on the computer and only quickly.

(x2 + 4 )(4x3 + 5)
    U = x2 + 4 v = 4x3 + 5
    du/dx = 2x dv/dx = 12x2

(x2 + 4)(12x2) + (4x3 + 5)(2x)

Unless the question says simplify you can leave it like this or else you can go on further if it says to simplify so that would be..

12x4 + 48x2 + 8x4 + 10x
    20x4 + 48x2 + 10x

So I didn't get the correct answer.. must of gone wrong somewhere but I don't know where. Anyone?

Edit: I don't get your work, first you said it was x2 + 4 and then you used x2 + 9..

If its x2 + 9 then it would work out as this :
    (x2 + 9 )(4x3 + 5)
    U = x2 + 9 v = 4x3 + 5
    du/dx = 2x dv/dx = 12x2

(x2 + 9)(12x2) + (4x3 + 5)(2x)
    Leave like the above unless told to do otherwise..
    12x4 + 108x2 + 8x4 + 10x
    20x4 + 108x2 + 10x
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm gonna miss a lot of my close Friends when we go our separate ways. It's worse seeing one of your friends want something so badly and you know they're not going to get it. It's absolutely terrible. I'm really going to miss some of my Teachers aswell though. I actually made a MASSIVE A3 card for my Religious Education Teacher today, he's sooo nice. He's only like 23 and from Donegal (can't resist the accent <3), it's just going to be so weird to leave. :( My Business Teacher, god she's more like a Friend at this stage, it's going to be such a change not seeing her aswell, same with my English Teacher, the banter we have is surreal. I know they're Teachers and they're there to Teach, not be your friend. But when you get use to seeing the same face every day for 6 years it feels weird to say it's almost over. I'm already friends with some of them on FB :P I dunno, it's just going to be a surreal change. As much as I give out about the smothering smallness, horrible subjects etc. I've gotten so use to it now, it's going to be a massive change in the system. I've actually been inspired so much by some of them that I know that I want to eventually teach Business in School. Now my CAO is the issue as i'm unsure whether I want to study Law at all. :(

Raeone wrote: »
    I'll give it a go but this is on the computer and only quickly.

(x2 + 4 )(4x3 + 5)
    U = x2 + 4 v = 4x3 + 5
    du/dx = 2x dv/dx = 12x2

(x2 + 4)(12x2) + (4x3 + 5)(2x)

Unless the question says simplify you can leave it like this or else you can go on further if it says to simplify so that would be..

12x4 + 48x2 + 8x4 + 10x
    20x4 + 48x2 + 10x

So I didn't get the correct answer.. must of gone wrong somewhere but I don't know where. Anyone?

Edit: I don't get your work, first you said it was x2 + 4 and then you used x2 + 9..

If its x2 + 9 then it would work out as this :
    (x2 + 9 )(4x3 + 5)
    U = x2 + 9 v = 4x3 + 5
    du/dx = 2x dv/dx = 12x2

(x2 + 9)(12x2) + (4x3 + 5)(2x)
    Leave like the above unless told to do otherwise..
    12x4 + 108x2 + 8x4 + 10x
    20x4 + 108x2 + 10x
    :)

Oh I get where I went wrong now I must have went wrong at the 12x3 instead of 12x4 . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Geography course has been completed. Yes, after 10 gruelsome hours of studying in the library I have finished everything! I'll probably need to look over it all again in like 10 days but wow, the sense of achievement is UNBELIEVABLE!!! :D

Wesc. wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen, the Geography course has been completed. Yes, after 10 gruelsome hours of studying in the library I have finished everything! I'll probably need to look over it all again in like 10 days but wow, the sense of achievement is UNBELIEVABLE!!! :D

Wow did you do the geography course in one day? I still need to finish human on my own .

Wow did you do the geography course in one day? I still need to finish human on my own .

Yes, I'm absolutely headfuked now though :p I had all my answers written out, just learnt all of them today. Takes forever but god I'm so glad today's over!

Applied maths is gettin' it tomorrow :cool:

You actually managed all of it! :O Well done you! What time did you start at?

You actually managed all of it! :O Well done you! What time did you start at?

8:30 this morning! I was so determined like :P Took an hour break at 1 and a half hour break at 6. Long day but was worth it!

Weird thing is, I could probably do some more now, but won't :L I feel so motivated atm :D

Yes, I'm absolutely headfuked now though :p I had all my answers written out, just learnt all of them today. Takes forever but god I'm so glad today's over!

Applied maths is gettin' it tomorrow :cool:

How did you do it I should really try and do that myself with the human part at least? did you just do a full paper? or write notes?

Might do that too, but I also need some kind of business and history marathon :rolleyes:

Really confused with Irish atm. I got 30/30 in my mock Geibheann answer and really high in general, but more to the point is that I got 22/30 in my test the other day :confused: I dont see how I could have made 0 mistakes in my mock in my entire essay and my poetry sections and now I'm making them...I lost marks with my teacher not really seeing my point but even still, its so weird and I probably wont get my A2. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Hoping to get at least a C2 in all of my subjects, just want to get 400 points at least.

Not really feeling motivated to study though :L

How did you do it I should really try and do that myself with the human part at least? did you just do a full paper? or write notes?

All my notes are already written out. For the first 3 hours I did all the physical by just reading it and saying it in my mind... but if I got stuck and lost focus I'd just write it out in the 12 minutes. And I kept doing that with the other sections too. My answers are just basically 17 one-line srps which have all the key words in them so they're handy to learn :)

Motivation = 0

Seriously, i'm trying to plan what i'm going to do tomorrow.
    • My Business Teacher gave me the 2007 Mock Paper to do so i'll have to get that done tomorrow.
    • I want to learn about the characters of Horatio/Polonius in Hamlet tomorrow and get them out of the way for good.
    • HAVE to do a SERIOUS Amount of Geography tomorrow. At least Paris/SW USA and 4/5 Physical Essays
    • Economics has become neglected on my part lately. Need to hold onto the A2, so i'll have to do Inflation/FOP's/Government & Economy tomorrow.
    • Have to do at least 2 Backing Chords exercises and 2 melodies for Music
    • I'm going to try and knock out 3/4 French written Questions tomorrow.

I'm going to have to arise from my slumber at 6.00 a.m tomorrow morning. That way, i'll have a good 5 hours done by noon! :D

Motivation = 0

Where Geography is concerned guys! :P

Motivation = 0, gets up at 6am :pac:

I dunno what I'll do tomorrow. My French teacher corrected my work, got 92-96% in all of them but she missed obvious mistakes and corrected things that I know arent wrong to things that are wrong. o_o Added to the fact that 92% of 30 marks is not a natural number, shes just pulling things out of thin air so idk if theres any point in doing more, ugh.

All my notes are already written out. For the first 3 hours I did all the physical by just reading it and saying it in my mind... but if I got stuck and lost focus I'd just write it out in the 12 minutes. And I kept doing that with the other sections too. My answers are just basically 17 one-line srps which have all the key words in them so they're handy to learn :)

I should do that myself although I still need to write loads of them out especially in the human section. Or I could just read the exam skills and read them over for some of them anyway.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Motivation = 0, gets up at 6am :pac:

I dunno what I'll do tomorrow. My French teacher corrected my work, got 92-96% in all of them but she missed obvious mistakes and corrected things that I know arent wrong to things that are wrong. o_o Added to the fact that 92% of 30 marks is not a natural number, shes just pulling things out of thin air so idk if theres any point in doing more, ugh.
    True. Patchy~: seeing as your EPIC at French, what are you learning for this years paper in regard to the written section?

I should do that myself although I still need to write loads of them out especially in the human section. Or I could just read the exam skills and read them over for some of them anyway.

With the exam skills book don't learn off an essay from it!! They're way too long! I try get 17 SRPs (just to be safe) in a page and a quarter. Just pick out all the distinct points from the exam skills book's answers and jot them down.

• Advertisement

The amount of you complaining about getting over 90%!
    Be happy with it, you'll do grand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement