Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Its categorically a reversing camera.

Any chance of removing that reg as I'm sure a private individual doesn't want their van scrutinised as a NCT/Tax stealth vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

"Camera vans are on roads where people have been killed".........to my knowledge no-one has EVER been killed on Herbert road in Bray....unless by stabbing.....:rolleyes:

tinyjiney wrote: »
    "Camera vans GoSafe vans are on roads where people have been killed"

That's a Garda van, that can appear anywhere. People put them in the same bracket as GoSafe.

It's frustrating that some people still don't know the difference given every link, post and thread that's been posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

ironclaw wrote: »
    That's a Garda van, that can appear anywhere. People put them in the same bracket as GoSafe.

It's frustrating that some people still don't know the difference given every link, post and thread that's been posted.

I feel you pain.....bet you cant wait for posts like mine......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Well done to the plebs driving along the guisness factory at about 9:40pm tonight.

all slowing down to less than 30 KMH because of the garda speed cam sitting on the right hand side parking.

like really ? less than 30 KMH !!!!!!!

the speed limit there is 50 !

que me trying to get by them to go 50 but they all sit in every lane at 25 - 30 KMH !

the speed signs are along that road quite a bit that say 50KMh speed limit but i dont get why they do this ?

i was stuck behind them it felt like i could walk faster !

.rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Well done to the plebs driving along the guisness factory at about 9:40pm tonight.

all slowing down to less than 30 KMH because of the garda speed cam sitting on the right hand side parking.

que me trying to get by them to go 50 but they all sit in every lane at 25 - 30 KMH !

the speed signs are along that road quite a bit that say 50KMh speed limit but i dont get why they do this ?

.rant

I slow down excessively to help other drivers and in case the car in front of me slams on the breaks. But not to almost half the speed limit!

I slow down excessively to help other drivers and in case the car in front of me slams on the breaks. But not to almost half the speed limit!

there were only about 7 cars max on the road

all widely gapped.

and thats the fear they put into drivers.

even 3 taxi lads slowed down to 25kmh - 30 kmh out of shear fear of getting 2 penalty points and a fine for speeding.

now i have no problem with these cameras at all, if they ever caught me speeding then no problem but people dont know how to handle coming across one.

its paranoia that if they are doing 48kmh in a 50 zone they'll be flashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

all slowing down to less than 30 KMH because of the garda speed cam sitting on the right hand side parking. like really ? less than 30 KMH !!!!!!! the speed limit there is 50 !
    I've come accross this problem too. It's quite annoying.

There's a strong argument that speed traps should be low profile and not distracting. ideally, people should only know after they've had the fine in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A 400m or so stretch, at 30kmph? Wow, that must have delayed you by at least 20 seconds. I'd be mad too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

A 400m or so stretch, at 30kmph? Wow, that must have delayed you by at least 20 seconds. I'd be mad too

Your maths is dreadful.

Got caught at the next lights, then had to wait for the Luas to cross the road, then caught at the next three lights, then got stuck behind a rubbish truck collecting rubbish that pulled out of the second set of lights.

So, got delayed by more than half an hour. This meant missing an important phone call, and loosing out on closing a big deal, which would have kept the company open.
    Sadly now 15 people will be out of work all because 7 cars were not confident enough to make progress.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

hondasam wrote: »
    I hate go safe vans, I know their location now so slow to the speed limit.It is revenue and feck all to do with saving lives. Prime location at 6am catching people going to work.

The morning and evening rush hours are noted for a large amount of crashes.
    Proxy wrote: »
    Johntegr wrote: »
    They have one on the main street where I live. Never ever has there been a fatality on it. Up the road as you come out of the town is where it's needed.

At the minute all it's doing is catching the taxi drivers and delivery drivers at stupid AM.
    In other words, the people who need clean licences for their living! Zero consideration in it.

Surely it's up to those people to keep their licenses clean and it's up to those tasked with law enforcement to do their jobs and catch people breaking the law?
    hondasam wrote: »
    I hate go safe vans, I know their location now so slow to the speed limit.It is revenue and feck all to do with saving lives. Prime location at 6am catching people going to work.

Agree its an awful lot to do with revenue. Where we live there is a carpark to park up to go for walks around a green area and either side of the enterence it drops to 60kph for about the length of an average bunglow. Anyways my wife got a letter this morning to say she had being doing 77kph there at 7am last week. At that hour of the morning and stuck in that tiny zone? Looks like revenue gathering to me.

Where exactly is this?

.rant

Because the message that the 30km/h limit only applied to a tiny part of the quays was never communicated by the council?

P.C. wrote: »

Your maths is dreadful.

Got caught at the next lights, then had to wait for the Luas to cross the road, then caught at the next three lights, then got stuck behind a rubbish truck collecting rubbish that pulled out of the second set of lights.

So, got delayed by more than half an hour. This meant missing an important phone call, and loosing out on closing a big deal, which would have kept the company open.
    Sadly now 15 people will be out of work all because 7 cars were not confident enough to make progress.

I think those people can safity blame your lack of a hand's free kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I passed this cunt on the way back to Dublin...there was another one on the way back into Galway

gosafe.jpg

I passed this cunt on the way back to Dublin...there was another one on the way back into Galway

Could you PM me what DVR your using? Very good quality.

Could you PM me what DVR your using? Very good quality.

Happy to share the info :cool:...its a BlackVue DR400G. Its a full HD camera.

I got it from eBay seller: funfunkorea

I had to put english firmware on it when I got it though :p

Where in that post did I say anything about the time taken ?

I couldn't give a flying fiddlers s/hits how many extra seconds it took me to get down that road.

I complain cos one of these days there will be 2 cars on the road and the one in front will see a camera can around the corner and slam on the brakes out of fear and the poor sod behind them will get the blame and all sorts !

If your driving on a road and don't know the speed limit then go away

Given that you're doing 100kph, you appear to be driving too close to the car in front?

opti0nal wrote: »
    Given that you're doing 100kph, you appear to be driving too close to the car in front?

Theres always one, I'll take the bait.. It's a wide angled lens so things aren't as they seem..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There was a van parked on the M50 just before the 80kmh stretch on Saturday. Reckon I was doing about 110kmh! Had to accelerate to get passed the line of cars in the middle lane all doing about 80kmh. Left lane was free! Grr

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Theres always one, I'll take the bait.. It's a wide angled lens so things aren't as they seem..

So will I.

If someone was doing 100KMH in the overtaking lane of a motorway, I would probably be a lot closer to him than that until he got the message :pac::pac:.

Well, you have posted picture for us all to examine. And quite a nice one too.

Usually zoom lenses make things appear closer and than wide angle make them appear further away.

It looks like about two and half car lengths?

Say, no more than 20 metres?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Got flashed on Saturday, not sure if it was for me or the guy in the lane beside me.

Coming over the last bridge before Heuston along the South Quays. Was doing 60ish, spotted the van and slowed to between 40-50.
    Maintained this speed whilst passing and just as I was about to pass the van it let off a flash.
    There was a BMW in the right hand lane that caught up to alongside me just after the flash, so possible it was him instead of me.

From reading previous posts on this thread (and others) I though they only flashed when you were speeding, i.e. if you slow down they won't flash you 3/4 seconds later?

blackwhite wrote: »

From reading previous posts on this thread (and others) I though they only flashed when you were speeding, i.e. if you slow down they won't flash you 3/4 seconds later?

You were speeding, and you did so deliberately. So, after you'd been detected, once your car was close enough, they took a picture of your reg plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

You were speeding, and you did so deliberately. So, after you'd been detected, once your car was close enough, they took a picture of your reg plate?

Too bloody busy looking down your nose to read the rest of the thread?

The speed on the ticket is the speed as the photo is taken. What you just posted is total misinformation and shows a complete lack of knowledge for how these systems work.

The camera and speed detection are 'zeroed' for a determined range behind the van (Very short range) If your speeding in that zone, your read and snapped at the same time. They DO NOT 'track' you for 150m and then snap you. It's the speed as you pass immediately behind the van.

This is unlike a Laser trap with An Garda where he could target you at greater range, upwards of 200m. Vans operate at very short range, we're talking 20m or less.

To answer the question above, if two cars are in the photo the ticket is null and void. My guess is you could have been slightly over the limit, it is 30km/h on the quays in places. Bear in the mind, the BMW would have to be in the photo, not after you passed as since you were the first car to pass, it was your speed not his.

The speed on the ticket is the speed as the photo is taken. What you just posted is total misinformation and shows a complete lack of knowledge for how these systems work.
    Given that he admits breaking the law and was exceeding the speed limit by a considerable margin, there's some scope for improvement of the technology if he's not been caught?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They could use laser systems like in the UK. Catch them up to 1km away.

Given that he admits breaking the law and was exceeding the speed limit by a considerable margin, there's some scope for improvement of the technology if he's not been caught?

You honestly have to be trolling by this stage.

If someone is speeding, inside the set range of the camera, they are guilty.

If they are speeding before, slow down at the camera and speed after, well then they got away with it. Such is life.

To do what your suggesting would mean a speed camera on every square inch of roadway in Ireland. Average speed cameras? Yeah, I could see them working on the Quays alright. Would be frankly ludicrous though in a 30km/h zone. You'll certainly see them on the motorways in the next 5 years.

And for the record, the technology is bulletproof with a huge amount of money behind it. The GoSafe units use very advanced radar.

unlikely to happens for 2 reasons:

1) Cost
    2) The laser system requires the operator to aim to capture the car...the redflex system is an automated cash ** sorry ** safety machine..like the garda vans they just need to be parked and let the fines roll in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Better to use the lasers on the Gay Byrnes in the Motors forum. Pew Pew!

• Advertisement

You honestly have to be trolling by this stage.
    By the same logic, you are obviously condoning law breaking at this stage.
    If someone is speeding, inside the set range of the camera, they are guilty.
    Your thinking is defective. If somone is breaking the speed limit they are guilty.
    If they are speeding before, slow down at the camera and speed after, well then they got away with it. Such is life.
    Yes, he may have got away with it, but that does not make it right. It's pro-offender attitudes like this that mean change of behaviour on Irish roads will be a slow process snd innocent people will continue to suffer.

Try to be part of the solution, and not the problem?

Advertisement