Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

ironclaw wrote: »
    No, what you probably saw was an Ultralyte:

LTILR100.jpg

It doesn't take photos and cannot be used through the glass of a window (Reflection, Refraction of the laser etc) In fact if it was used through a window you'd have a very good defense in court.

It can be used through glass without issue - it just takes longer to get a lock - these guns are clever it spits out 100 - 125 pulses per second and if it doesn't recieve them back the way its supposed to it spits out an error:

Some models of UL have weather mode for use in the cabin / rainy weather:

ulweatherbr1.jpg
    pippip wrote: »
    Or the tripod camera gardai

Your quite right however theres not supposed to be many of these floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

hello there, just a quick question,
    today driving into work heading towards city centre, i was driving through marino, there was a white van, now anytime i go through there i stick to the speed limit, so im not complaining that i got done for speeding:), anyway it flashed a car in the left lane, there was no marking on the van at all, looked like a survay van but i thought they didnt flash, could it have been an unmarked garda van:confused:
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Rich11 wrote: »
    .......could it have been an unmarked garda van:confused:
    thanks!

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

saw the le gatso van on the belgard road last night near ABB building.

think i was doing bout 48KM/h while passing it.

was coming up near the luas line.

wasnt speeding. me is happy and saving fuel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 C3P0

They are the exact same, because they are Garda vans. The Garda vans have magnetic stickers, they just pick and choose when to put them on....

Saw one of these today in Leitrim village, just before 1pm, wasn't sure if it was one or not, as there were no magnetic stickers, or any identifications on it when I passed it (just a 07 D reg), but I thought I could see something in the back, and there was a quite visible white stripe inside, towards the bottom of the rear window.

Anyway, I was curious, had a dog in the back, and decided to take her for a stroll through the village. When I was walking towards the van, the guy (presume a garda) was slapping the stickers on the van. Was 1pm on the nose as he was doing this.

Would he have been setting up for a shift to begin at 1pm?

Also noticed that the engine was running, and there was an electrical socket on the drivers side near the rear. Socket for charging up the equipment batteries, or downloading information? Are the engines always running while they are operating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭mikeecho

robbie_998 wrote: »

All the Gatso Vans have been decommissioned.. you must have spotted a ROBOT van

C3P0 wrote: »
    Saw one of these today in Leitrim village, just before 1pm, wasn't sure if it was one or not, as there were no magnetic stickers, or any identifications on it when I passed it (just a 07 D reg), but I thought I could see something in the back, and there was a quite visible white stripe inside, towards the bottom of the rear window.

Anyway, I was curious, had a dog in the back, and decided to take her for a stroll through the village. When I was walking towards the van, the guy (presume a garda) was slapping the stickers on the van. Was 1pm on the nose as he was doing this.

Would he have been setting up for a shift to begin at 1pm?

Also noticed that the engine was running, and there was an electrical socket on the drivers side near the rear. Socket for charging up the equipment batteries, or downloading information? Are the engines always running while they are operating?

The camera and radar unit run on battery power, The blue socket atthe side of the van is for charging these batteries.
    The engine does not have to be running for the radar cam to operate.

BTW what type of stickers was he slapping on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Flowers By Irene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 C3P0

mikeecho wrote: »
    ...BTW what type of stickers was he slapping on ?

On the back, a garda badge on the lower right, and a speed camera symbol on the top left. On the bonnet, he put one of each, side by side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

mikeecho wrote: »
    robbie_998 wrote: »

All the Gatso Vans have been decommissioned.. you must have spotted a ROBOT van

It was blue and full of signs warning that it was a speed van

It was a small one unlike the Garda one. Thing it was a renault traffic or something to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

No, what you probably saw was an Ultralyte:

LTILR100.jpg

It doesn't take photos and cannot be used through the glass of a window (Reflection, Refraction of the laser etc) In fact if it was used through a window you'd have a very good defense in court.

saw something like this today only on a tripod as you came out of the tunnel ex limerick to shannon guards were literaly standing in front of 100 km sign reckon they cleaned up today crazy set up its 8okm for tunnell and then 100km about 100 yards outside it and then goes down again going into toll boths is there any leeway with these as i was doing about 85-86 reckon myself and a few other will be getting a few fines iin the post soon .:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

4 weeks gone - I must be in the clear. Strange....maybe they snapped someone on the other side of the road ..

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

there is a roundabot where i live just out on the main road and on one exit coming off the roundabout there is always a speed van parked there, but the stupid thing is that just exiting the roundabout is a 100KMH speed sign and there is no way on earth that you would break that speed before getting to the van unless you had a drag car!! why on earth would they be parking here, is it just to put in time as they are often parked there for up to 4 hours at a time ??

germanator wrote: »
    there is a roundabot where i live just out on the main road and on one exit coming off the roundabout there is always a speed van parked there, but the stupid thing is that just exiting the roundabout is a 100KMH speed sign and there is no way on earth that you would break that speed before getting to the van unless you had a drag car!! why on earth would they be parking here, is it just to put in time as they are often parked there for up to 4 hours at a time ??

whats the road number ?

its usually 3hrs that they park up for, going by my own observations

not sure of the road number man, its the main road from new ross to wexford on the last roundabout leaving new ross. ive seen them there one night at half 11 and they were still therte at 5 the next morning and i heading to work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

afro man wrote: »
    saw something like this today only on a tripod as you came out of the tunnel ex limerick to shannon guards were literaly standing in front of 100 km sign reckon they cleaned up today crazy set up its 8okm for tunnell and then 100km about 100 yards outside it and then goes down again going into toll boths is there any leeway with these as i was doing about 85-86 reckon myself and a few other will be getting a few fines iin the post soon .:mad:

For the love of Christ the Ultralyte doesn't take photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I've seen more Garda vans doing speed detection then the private guys. Ranelagh Road and the Navan Road seem to be popular these days.

Even down the country I've only ever seen one private van and that was on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Before I start, I want to say that I think I'm in the minority when it comes to the GoSafe vans. I don't think they're a bad idea but they're execution certainly needs work.

Those of you who travel the Waterford to New Ross main road will know it's a particular favorite of the GoSafe operators. In their defense, they're usually in plain sight (which they're supposed to be) and act as a deterrent to those who might be tempted to get a bit carried away on the open road. When leaving Waterford, the road opens out after Ferrybank into a perfect example of what a national route should look like - wide lanes, hard shoulders, good surface and good signage and road markings.

1-2.jpg

Strangely though, the road is a deceptive 60KM/H limit for the first kilometer or so. However, once you round the slight left hander, the limit increases to a more reasonable 80KM/H before increasing further beyond the next roundabout to 100KM/H.

I drive this road quite a lot with family & friends living in the general Wexford direction. Every time I follow the same routine of glueing myself to the 60KM/H limit before gently accelerating around the corner to the 80KM/H limit. Earlier this week however, as I was mid-acceleration, I spotted the top corner of a GoSafe van protruding from the hedgerow. The van was parked in a gateway to a large field on the left hand side. To be honest, I know I certainly wasn't over the 80KM/H limit which began almost immediately after the van but I was somewhere in that range that I'll be dreading the sight of the postman for the next couple of weeks.

I was furious.

I was partly angry at myself for being foolish enough to have potentially been caught out. I was even more angry that I might be punished for not really doing anything dangerous or that would have put another motorist at risk. This was an example of revenue raising at its finest.

Today, I again was making a trip in the Wexford direction but a little bit more conscious of my previous experience. Lo and behold, here's the oh so familiar sight of a (different) GoSafe van hiding in the same gateway.

This time, I decided to circle back for a couple of photographs.

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

To be fair, if you're traveling from the Wexford direction, the van is well sighted but I thought I'd go back the road a little bit to give a better view from the Waterford approach...

IMG_3054.jpg

For reference, that 60KM/H sign is a lot closer to the van than it looks.

IMG_3057.jpg

The 80KM/H signs can be seen just beyond the van (sorry for the phone pictures)

Fuelled by curiosity, I decided to pull in and see if anyone was home. A quick knock and a pleasant gentleman emerged. I opened with the fact that I wasn't here to abuse or threaten him and that my enquiries were genuine questions.

I asked him what limit was he working to - 60KM/H was his answer.

Was he aware he was parked on private property - No, but that An Garda Síochána had assigned him this location.

What sort of a tolerance do the GoSafe cameras have? - Although he wouldn't say specifically, when prompted with '10% plus two' he nodded with 'yeah, something like that.'

Did he think he was saving lives at this current position or revenue raising? - He said he would prefer to be on the 100KM/H stretches of road but again, had been assigned this area by AGS. He also said that they often pleaded with AGS to change locations but were instructed that this was where they had to position themselves.

Why couldn't he place the van beyond the 80KM/H sign which would give a much fairer view in both directions with a more reasonable limit - Again, this was AGS directive. He said they used to locate themselves beyond the 80KM/H sign but were told to move back to the 60KM/H zone.

Speaking to him for a while, he was a genuine nice guy with a job that I can't imagine is very easy. He told me that they get lots of knocks on the door and most people aren't very friendly about it. He gave me the contact information on for the GoSafe HQ if I wanted to lodge a complaint or told me to contact my local Garda station. To be honest, he couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. I headed back off on my journey.

Returning an hour later, he was still there, still shooting into his barrel.

My own wait for the postman continues ...

that is exactly one of the positions that myself and lots of other people complain about, when travelling from waterford the van is very hidden until you are right up on it, and its right between where the 60km changes to 80km, i this this is definitly a revenue raising point as the van is very hidden until your right upon it.

Id like to be the owner of that field, id be moving them along fairly quickly!!

On another note, on stretches of road, especially near wexford there are always Garda doing speed checks and they reverse into peoples driveways and have the car hidden and the speed gun just peering out over the wall where you cannot see them until you have passed. Are they not supposed to be in plain sight aswell as the vans? And what right have they parking on private property, unless they have the peoples permission, which i doubt very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

1-2.jpgThis pic shows some illegal overtaking (car bottom right, driving on a traffic island), no wonder there are safety concerns at that location.
    d like to be the owner of that field, id be moving them along fairly quickly!!
    If I were the owner of the field, I'd be annoyed by all the people speeding past it.
    Are they not supposed to be in plain sight aswell as the vans?
    But then people might jam on when they seem them, maybe causing a crash? I find it very annoying when people drop their 15kph below the speed limit when they see one of those vans

I think it's better to the vans concealed as much as possible. An advantage of concealment is that they're more likely to catch people who speed when they think they won't be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

opti0nal wrote: »
    If I were the owner of the field, I'd be annoyed by all the people speeding past it.

But then people might jam on when they seem them, maybe causing a crash? I find it very annoying when people drop their 15kph below the speed limit when they see one of those vans

I think it's better to the vans concealed as much as possible. An advantage of concealment is that they're more likely to catch people who speed when they think they won't be caught.

creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-you-re-new-here-aren-t-you-de5271.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 singledad

Two Weeks ago, I was on N4 inbound, I was doing around 60 after lucan woodies and another car doing same came near the van we both got flashed, we were looking at eachother since we were well under the limit 80km.
    Question when you get flashed, near the van or the minute it see's you speeding?

nothing in the post so far...

well id be more annoyed by people just parking and hiding on my property as if they own it, thats if their actually parked without permission, not saying they are...

And as for the car dangerously overtaking in the pic, i may be wrong but id say hes just going out around whatever vehicle the poster is parked in taking the pic...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

singledad wrote: »
    Question when you get flashed, near the van or the minute it see's you speeding?

You get flashed, within range, by the van, when you are speeding.

You were not in a GoSafe Zone at the time. So you most likely saw a Garda van. The 'flash' you saw may have been a reflection from the sun. Most vans are Infrared now (ALL GoSafe you'll never see a flash), so its unlikely (But not impossible) that you saw a flash.

Were you wearing a seat belt? Genuine question.

well id be more annoyed by people just parking and hiding on my property as if they own it, thats if their actually parked without permission, not saying they are...
    Well, that might just be you. Do you own a property with an exit onto a road where people speed?
    And as for the car dangerously overtaking in the pic, i may be wrong but id say hes just going out around whatever vehicle the poster is parked in taking the pic...
    Not legally parked then. But actually, I think it was taken from a mobile streetview car.

Those traffic islands exist there because of dangerous overtaking approaching a right hand turn. The speed trap was there for the same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Well, that might just be you. Do you own a property with an exit onto a road where people speed?

Not legally parked then. But actually, I think it was taken from a mobile streetview car.

Those traffic islands exist there because of dangerous overtaking approaching a right hand turn. The speed trap was there for the same reason
    So gosafe are issuing fines for dangerous overtaking now?

So gosafe are issuing fines for dangerous overtaking now?
    No yet, but you must agree that it would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

This genuinely happened to a guy I know a couple of months ago. He was travelling on the N7 in a 100km zone. He saw the speed van, checked his speed, wasn't even doing 90km, got flashed. He was piSsed off,knew he wasn't speeding, decided to turn around and drive past again,drove even slower, flashed again. Same guy is fairly firey, decided to pull up and question why he got flashed when he was well below the speed limit. Spoke to the guy in van,was very irate saying its a scam,money making etc.... Van guy turned to him and said you weren't wearing a seat belt, twice!!!!! He ended up getting 4 penalty points and a fine. He is still like a b*ll*x over it, couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scurnane

just sounds like a lot of whinging to me.

If you get caught speeding, you pay a fine, get a few penalty points and learn a lesson.
    Its time we take responsibility for our own actions and not find someone else to blame for them.

Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No yet, but you must agree that it would be a good idea.

I think it would be a lot better idea than the current system, especially as dangerous overtaking is a far more common cause of accidents than speeding according to the RSA.

Advertisement