Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

DaDon wrote: »
    there was a car up my backside...
    Have you considered that he was driving close to you so that you'd get done for speeding and not him?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DaDon

opti0nal wrote: »
    Have you considered that he was driving close to you so that you'd get done for speeding and not him?

I doubt it, he was well back as I pulled out to overtake and it was only when I was overtaking I realised how fast he was going and came barrelling up behind me.
    The Garda must've been looking for serious speeders if he didn't go after me or him, he was definitely doing around 150 if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

Forgive me if this has been asked before, I read as far as I could into this thread but not 187 pages! Can you get penalty points on a UK licence here? I know in theory they hold the points on a database until you get an Irish licence but someone told me this has recently changed and the points can now be added? I can't find anything on this on rsa or citizens informations sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Henrib wrote: »
    Forgive me if this has been asked before, I read as far as I could into this thread but not 187 pages! Can you get penalty points on a UK licence here? I know in theory they hold the points on a database until you get an Irish licence but someone told me this has recently changed and the points can now be added? I can't find anything on this on rsa or citizens informations sites.
    Have heard they put points on all EU licenses now. Not sure if it's true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Rubbish.

• Advertisement

Rubbish.
    Is it though? My GF is Latvian and her ex is banned here on his Latvian license. Confiscated by the courts from what she told me.

The courts can ban any driver.

Points cannot be put on any foreign licence.

The courts can ban any driver.

Points cannot be put on any foreign licence.
    Alright alright. All I'm saying is they're obviously keeping record somehow if they're banning repeat offenders.

However I don't work with AGS or Traffic or the legal system, so I haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Henrib wrote: »

You cannot get points on a UK lic here, I have a UK d/lic myself.

Johntegr wrote: »
    Is it though? My GF is Latvian and her ex is banned here on his Latvian license. Confiscated by the courts from what she told me.

Why was he banned? the d/lic makes no difference to his ban depending on the crime he committed.

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    Why was he banned? the d/lic makes no difference to his ban depending on the crime he committed.
    Repeatedly driving like a clown and not obeying our ROTR just because he thought the only thing he'd lose is €80.

One too many and it was a summons in the post.

Repeatedly driving like a clown and not obeying our ROTR just because he thought the only thing he'd lose is €80.

One too many and it was a summons in the post.
    So it was the courts that banned him, nowt to do with the penalty points.

So it was the courts that banned him, nowt to do with the penalty points.
    So in essence;

Points being put on non IRL licenses = Myth
    Record being kept in some form = True.

Right we can put that one to bed so. :pac:

I hate go safe vans, I know their location now so slow to the speed limit.It is revenue and feck all to do with saving lives. Prime location at 6am catching people going to work.

I hate go safe vans, I know their location now so slow to the speed limit.It is revenue and feck all to do with saving lives. Prime location at 6am catching people going to work.
    They have one on the main street where I live. Never ever has there been a fatality on it. Up the road as you come out of the town is where it's needed.

At the minute all it's doing is catching the taxi drivers and delivery drivers at stupid AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

They have one on the main street where I live. Never ever has there been a fatality on it. Up the road as you come out of the town is where it's needed.

At the minute all it's doing is catching the taxi drivers and delivery drivers at stupid AM.
    In other words, the people who need clean licences for their living! Zero consideration in it.

This is my problem with them, they were to be placed where there was fatal accidents and not just where it's handy revenue.
    The ones I know have had no fatalities on that stretch of road. I agree we need to stop accident but this is not the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

If your not speeding but on the phone and no seat belt, can these speed vans detect this?
    Do they have to flash when they detect something like above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Agree its an awful lot to do with revenue. Where we live there is a carpark to park up to go for walks around a green area and either side of the enterence it drops to 60kph for about the length of an average bunglow. Anyways my wife got a letter this morning to say she had being doing 77kph there at 7am last week. At that hour of the morning and stuck in that tiny zone? Looks like revenue gathering to me.

More annoying than the Go Safe vans is these new totally unmarked white Garda vans.

I got flashed again doing 50 zone, at 10pm on a Sunday night (again) coming over Annesley bridge in North strand. I was doing 60, its also a slight hill as you go over the bridge.

Pain in the ass, getting done for speeding for doing a sane speed on nice stretch of road.

Its all quotas and revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

cisk wrote: »
    More annoying than the Go Safe vans is these new totally unmarked white Garda vans.

I got flashed again doing 50 zone, at 10pm on a Sunday night (again) coming over Annesley bridge in North strand. I was doing 60, its also a slight hill as you go over the bridge.

Pain in the ass, getting done for speeding for doing a sane speed on nice stretch of road.

Its all quotas and revenue.
    I agree. I was driving into Lucan from the M4 on Bank Holiday Monday, there was me and two or three other cars on the road, I was being overtaken by a Range Rover when I was flashed. I'm only hoping it was the Range Rover that got the flash and not me (sorry RR driver.....).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Proxy wrote: »
    I agree. I was driving into Lucan from the M4 on Bank Holiday Monday, there was me and two or three other cars on the road, I was being overtaken by a Range Rover when I was flashed. I'm only hoping it was the Range Rover that got the flash and not me (sorry RR driver.....).

If there are two cars in the photo, the photo has to be thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ironclaw wrote: »
    If there are two cars in the photo, the photo has to be thrown out.

That's good to know. So the plan is to speed in tandem then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

cisk wrote: »

At 60kph, a pedestrian is more likely to to be killed than at 50. That's a residential area with a fire brigade and ambulance exit on it. There have been a number of serioys accidents there in the past.

Cop on and have some respect for the safety of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Hang on I've a long way to climb up...... Ok can you hear me down there, so they're working then. As for revenue generating no one who bleats this mantra has yet to prove that point, where as it is a simple matter to check on the Garda website and see the locations of ALL go-safe van enforcement areas and cross check that with the RSA stats on traffic accident locations.

By simply repeating revenve, revenue and revenue over and over again does not make it true.

The go-safe vans are a deterrent to speeding in certain locations where accidents have occured and it appears to have had an effect on your driving. So it seems you have proven that they work, well done Sir!! :D

Less of the sarcasm please.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Saw this while driving yesterday in Celbridge.

VERY small camera at the base of the antena on the roof, large antena and 2 what look to be similar to "solar panels".

It was driving so was not stationary.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Could it be some sort of new speed van? Or maybe somthing that scans NCT/Tax discs?

Or just a reversing camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Indeed thats what I would have said, except it doesnt look like it has the angle to look "down", but rather back and tilted down, as well, what are the two boxes where the windows are?

Seems strange to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

+1 reversing camera

Advertisement