Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Proxy wrote: »
    Not sure what the story is with being flashed multiple times.

Ya I don't understand why we were flashed the second time. Made no sense to me to be honest but there was two distinct flashes within 30 seconds of each other. Could be flashing another car I suppose or a smart ass flashing a camera in the car in front :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

user1842 wrote: »
    So that's three speed traps on the same road in the same direction all within 500 meters.
    I've seen some drivers speed up after they've passed a speed trap, thinking they won't be caught, so it makes sense to catch them that way. Good thinking by the guards. We need more of this now that people think they can spot the vans easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭friedcircuits

On M18 Motorway home earlier and I overtook a car I was probably doing 130 - 135 Km When I passed the car I looked in mirror and pulled back into left lane. When I looked up there was a Guard in a lay by with a speed gun on a tripod anyways my question is!- Will I get a speeding fine etc from this?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

On M18 Motorway home earlier and I overtook a car I was probably doing 130 - 135 Km When I passed the car I looked in mirror and pulled back into left lane. When I looked up there was a Guard in a lay by with a speed gun on a tripod anyways my question is!- Will I get a speeding fine etc from this?
    Thanks.

if it was a lone garda with the tripod, unlikely unless you were stopped.

that must be one of their new hunting grounds,
    sunday night there was a squad car on the h/s with the boot open, guard and tripod behind it on the southbound carrage way.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thanks.

He loves that spot, coming round a corner onto a nice straight. I use the road at least 6 times per week and would never speed on it anymore. I have seen him pull over cars but he doesn't have to because its a tripod, so the Gardai on here will tell you, but if you were doing around 135kmh its likely you'll get a speeding fine.

• Advertisement

Ya it was a lone garda all right now I may be even over estimating my speed too but didnt give chase!? I did see him going to write something down as I passed, to be honest I wasnt even sure it was a guards car I was more focused on the gun thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You will hear no more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

He wouldn't be doing speed checks and writing stuff down for the good of his health. That is his popular spot, normally in the Volvo Traffic Corps vehicle.

New one is a lone Garda, with no Garda car, just standing behind a crash barrier southbound beyond the Crusheen exit. Tripod and taking notes.

Do you mean I won't get a fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What they are doing is scoping out new spots for their Talivans to start operating in.

• Advertisement

Ya I just looked at their website I just thought of that myself a couple of minutes ago. So I'm ok this time then?

What they are doing is scoping out new spots for their Talivans to start operating in.

Ya I just looked at their website I just thought of that myself a couple of minutes ago. So I'm ok this time then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chris8

Hi, Can someone please help me.... I need to know what happens after being flashed by a white van with this registration 08-d-51257?

I presume I will now get a speeding ticket, but is there anyway of getting out of this because I rpobably will be sacked from my work if i get any points, this happend at 12pm at night, didn't think they work this late and I wasn't even going that fast.

Willl I get a ticket? How many points will i get? Does everyone 100% get a ticket or some people that don't?? I sthere anyway of getting out of a ticket??

Please reply, thanks you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Chris8 wrote: »
    Hi, Can someone please help me.... I need to know what happens after being flashed by a white van with this registration 08-d-51257?

I presume I will now get a speeding ticket, but is there anyway of getting out of this because I rpobably will be sacked from my work if i get any points, this happend at 12pm at night, didn't think they work this late and I wasn't even going that fast.

Willl I get a ticket? How many points will i get? Does everyone 100% get a ticket or some people that don't?? I sthere anyway of getting out of a ticket??

If it was a white Ford Transit Van, then yes, you'll probably get a ticket. Garda Van's flash white, are normally D reg Transits and operate (like all Speed vans) 24 hours a day.

The only way you could get out of it are obscure technicalities like two cars in the photo etc etc. I wouldn't worry too much until the letter comes through the door, then you'll know for sure. I presume you were in a work vehicle when you shouldn't have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Hi Cris8,

Unfortunatly a Garda speed trap was obviously the culprit of your misfortune but the rules of the road are clear you may not have been much over the limit but over the limit you were, they will send you a fine in the post for €80 & 2 penalty points will be added to your current Irish drivers licence you will have 28 days to pay the €80 fine after which if you have not paid you will be given an additional 28 days to pay the fine of an increased amount of €120. If your fine remains unpaid after the full 56 days a mandatory court appearance will be issued. As long as you hold a current Irish driving Licence and a copy of your insurance there will be no problem best to just pay the fine & give them a copy of your Irish licence.

The only way I can see you getting out of this fine is to maybe how shall I say "jump ship" and head for a country elsewhere if that option is open to you, but be aware the court will issue a bench warrant for your arrest whereby a guy called bubba will probably become your girlfriend for a few months on your return to the island.

Best of luck ;)

Pancuronium

Hi Cris8,

Apologies I should have said in my last post that I think it's also an offence to place a Garda vehicle registration number on a public forum whereby you are giving information to the public in the knowledge of them avoiding the same faith as you. If I were in your position I would remove it just in case.

Out of curiosity how did you manage to acquire the registration of their vehicle usually people are gone past the vehicle before they have had a chance to acquire it?

Pan

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I have an English Licence so how can they put points on my licence?? So, what i need to know is if I have an English Licence can the Irish authorities put any points onto my English Licence???

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

No they can't, They put it on a shadow licence ( or driver's record ) and they threaten to apply the points to an Irish license if you ever apply for one .. But this doesn't actually happen in practice at the moment.

I'm guessing that it was a company car not yours that you were in?

They will send the points to the company & they will have to report who was driving the car @ that time on that day.

They can’t put points on your English licence but they can ask why you are working for an Irish company and driving with a UK licence, it will then be up to an garda siochana whether they wish to prosecute you for driving on a UK licence while staying and working in Ireland. This can be a much more serious offence in Ireland and could even result in a driving ban in court, they could even go so far as to force the court expense onto you which can be very expensive unless you can provide them with the relevant paperwork showing that you were not in the country for an extended period of time, if you have hotel receipts this would probably suffice.

Yeah but does it always go this far? this will be first and last time and everyone i have spoken to said that i'll be fine and now you saying this.... Have you ever heard this happen to someone to go that far?? It can't be that much illegal if the car rental company let's people drive a car with a english licence?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help.

Yeah but does it always go this far? this will be first and last time and everyone i have spoken to said that i'll be fine and now you saying this.... Have you ever heard this happen to someone to go that far?? It can't be that much illegal if the car rental company let's people drive a car with a english licence?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help.

It defiantly can go this far, it really does depend on the Garda dealing with your case but I also have friends that work for the Traffic Corps & asked for advice on this the Garda won't just take a company’s word when they tell them that one of their clients were driving a car belonging to them they will want a copy of your licence and a copy of the rental agreement they will then start to ask questions especially when they see someone with a UK licence. Think about it I could get one of my friends from the UK say they were driving my car if I was caught for speeding it would make no difference to him as I could just pay the fine an walk away without the points the Garda have a responsibility to pursue any means they see fit for avoiding the law. Best to just see what happens & hope for the best who knows you might be lucky..................... but I can't see them letting it go that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They can’t put points on your English licence but they can ask why you are working for an Irish company and driving with a UK licence, it will then be up to an garda siochana whether they wish to prosecute you for driving on a UK licence while staying and working in Ireland. This can be a much more serious offence in Ireland and could even result in a driving ban in court, they could even go so far as to force the court expense onto you which can be very expensive unless you can provide them with the relevant paperwork showing that you were not in the country for an extended period of time, if you have hotel receipts this would probably suffice.

No issue with living and working in Ireland whilst driving on a UK licence. Once it is a recognised, and valid, EU licence then there is no requirement to exchange it for an Irish licence.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html
    If you have a driving licence issued by an EU/EEA member state you can drive in Ireland as long as your existing licence is valid. If you wish to exchange your driving licence for an equivalent Irish driving licence, you must do so within 10 years of your driving licence expiring

There's only a requirement to change to an Irish licence if you hold a non-EU/EEA licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bear88

Apologies if this question has already been answered!

While driving on Victoria Quay in the city centre yesterday evening @ approx 10pm, sped up to move into right hand lane and got a flash from an unmarked ford transit van! From reading previous posts, I believe it was a Garda van seeing as it was unmarked and there was a "flash". Reckon I was doing 55-60kph. Almost certain it was me but my question is if the camera flashes, are you definitely caught or has the guard some discretion?? i.e the camera indicated I was in excess of the speed limit but has the guard to confirm/reject the camera's reading or is it automatically logged?? Could the guard dismiss a camera reading (after "flash") if it was only a few kph over the limit?? Or is the "flash" the guard recording the speeding offence?

I reckon I'm clutching at straws here but either way I'll know within the next few weeks...

Thanks in advance!

Ok, thanks for your help, but out of everyone i have spoken to and everything all over the internet even a Gardia that i spoke to earlier not one person has mentioned this.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Honestly i way speaking to my friend Garda Paul Hirtsch Badge No. 11067778 & he has assured me that you are in serious bother & the queen could even be informed over this issue ;)

Honestly i way speaking to my friend Garda Paul Hirtsch Badge No. 11067778 & he has assured me that you are in serious bother & the queen could even be informed over this issue ;)

Have you any links to back up your scaremongering?

EU law means you can legally live and drive in Ireland using a licence from another EU/EEA country.

Here is the relevent legislation on the matter, it's been law since 2008.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0464.html
    2. (1) A person who holds a foreign driving licence issued by the competent authority of a Member State of the European Communities or the European Economic Area, in respect of any one or more of the categories of vehicles referred to in the Table to Regulation 6 of the Regulations of 2006 may, subject to paragraph (2) and Commission Decision No. 2000/275 of 21 March 2000 2 , drive in a public place a vehicle in any such category in respect of which the licence has been granted, for the period for which the licence has effect.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Have you any links to back up your scaremongering?

EU law means you can legally live and drive in Ireland using a licence from another EU/EEA country.

Here is the relevent legislation on the matter, it's been law since 2008.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2008/en/si/0464.html

Sorry Blackwhite one of the lads in work knows cris and asked me to wind him up abit, its as simple as go to the post office pay the fine and job done lol ;)

Hence the name "Garda" Paul Hirtsch ;)

Sorry Blackwhite one of the lads in work knows cris and asked me to wind him up abit, its as simple as go to the post office pay the fine and job done lol ;)

Hence the name "Garda" Paul Hirtsch ;)

No worries! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Spotted Wednesday Clonboo Galway....very stealth indeed

210115.jpg

Spotted Friday evening Headford Road.

210114.jpg

Advertisement