Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Excellent quality images.

What system are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sorry if this is a stupid question (or has been cleared up in a previous page) but do the cameras operate from the front of the vehicle as well? If so, i agree the location in the first picture above is a bit sneaky but if they're only in the back, that one's out in the open enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Excellent quality images.

What system are you using?

Cheers,

Its a blackvue dr400g-hd ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Thanks.

I really like the wide angle of vue. Oops, I mean view!

Just found this Boards thread on the Blackvue:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77654432

Having "black box" capability makes it so much more than a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Erin,

apologies if this is being thick, but why do you think those two vans were Garda? Or do I need to read back the (epic) thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Wexfordian wrote: »
    Erin,

apologies if this is being thick, but why do you think those two vans were Garda? Or do I need to read back the (epic) thread?

Nope, just read the first post, and the relatively short thread it points you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Ah right, gotya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moosh112

I don't think these are gardai vans, they normally have a unit installed on the roof of the van in relation to technology, they could possibly be vans monitoring speed in these locations for possible new designated areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

moosh112 wrote: »
    I don't think these are gardai vans, they normally have a unit installed on the roof of the van in relation to technology, they could possibly be vans monitoring speed in these locations for possible new designated areas.

you think wrong.

maybe you're thinking of GoSafe vans, which use different equipment have an IR Flash unit in the roof.

Garda Vans use equipment from a different manufacturer that behaves in a similar way, but differently setup, and with different tolerances, and the flash unit is behind the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Was driving back to Dublin from Mayo yesterday, on the M4 before Newcastle. Cop in an unmarked Mondeo high on the ramp at the side left with his laser pointing back at all of us. Those of us in the outside lane were going at 125-130KPH. He didn't follow anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

looks like they were parked just inside a roadworks zone ie special speed restriction of 60kph so probably caught a bucket full of people. I thought though that the vans do say GARDA on the front of them as the one I passed on the navan road was all white with the exception of that GARDA writing on the bonnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭smileyme1984

looks like they were parked just inside a roadworks zone ie special speed restriction of 60kph so probably caught a bucket full of people. I thought though that the vans do say GARDA on the front of them as the one I passed on the navan road was all white with the exception of that GARDA writing on the bonnet?

The van is parked in a 50kmph speed limit. It's in the middle of the Curragh Line and at the top of a longish slope... I hope it wasn't there too often during the week, but definitely saw it one evening though and thought nothing of it. Its at the top of a long slope in the road that levels out around where the van is parked in the pictures so would catch alot of people.

I think the sign is related to roadworks ahead at Ballindooley or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The van is parked in a 50kmph speed limit. It's in the middle of the Curragh Line and at the top of a longish slope... I hope it wasn't there too often during the week, but definitely saw it one evening though and thought nothing of it. Its at the top of a long slope in the road that levels out around where the van is parked in the pictures so would catch alot of people.

I think the sign is related to roadworks ahead at Ballindooley or something.
    What's the point in even having them. People flash to let others know and most people already now where they are. Does anyone know what the range of the cameras are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.343762,-6.308169&spn=0.008955,0.026157&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.34373,-6.30831&panoid=n4VdmIxJn89HZhyQQXtJgQ&cbp=12,313.54,,0,1.03

Was sitting at the lights at the Con Colbert Road, South Circular Road, St. John's Road junction yesterday evening, and spotted the above for this first time ever. If it's on google maps it obviously been there a while, but now there's a lovely luminous paint job on the back of the box.

Certainly looks to be a speed camera, or is it possible there to catch red light breakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

blackwhite wrote: »
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.343762,-6.308169&spn=0.008955,0.026157&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.34373,-6.30831&panoid=n4VdmIxJn89HZhyQQXtJgQ&cbp=12,313.54,,0,1.03

Was sitting at the lights at the Con Colbert Road, South Circular Road, St. John's Road junction yesterday evening, and spotted the above for this first time ever. If it's on google maps it obviously been there a while, but now there's a lovely luminous paint job on the back of the box.

Certainly looks to be a speed camera, or is it possible there to catch red light breakers?

That has been there for donkeys years.
    not in use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

mikeecho wrote: »
    That has been there for donkeys years.
    not in use

They changed it....its a different one now. Not emitting any radar signal anyway... Theres another one here (not shown in street view):

Its a redlight cam just before the luas tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hookrkrook

Quoted from different thread posted in 2009 : "If it was a patrol car with a Garda manually holding a speed detection gun then they have to come after you to stop you and take your details/issue you with a fine + penalty points. The handheld speed guns cannot take photos of number plates or anything like that."

Is this still the case? Garda car in Garda Vehicle spot on N7 Northbound today around 3:30pm with speed detection gun. Traffic was busy and fast, but didn't see him going after anyone. Maybe too much traffic to make clean detection?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Saw two speed traps this morning on my way in so they are out as per their 24hr blitz. Both handheld.

Don't think I'm allowed share the locations as they are live....maybe a mod can confirm if they got an definitive answer on this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Saw what looked like a gantry above one of the motorway crossovers on the M7. Which I could only assume was to host a speed camera.

Do these even exist ? Was 1.30am and perhaps my tired brain was playing tricks with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

D3PO wrote: »
    Saw what looked like a gantry above one of the motorway crossovers on the M7. Which I could only assume was to host a speed camera.

Do these even exist ? Was 1.30am and perhaps my tired brain was playing tricks with me.

There are gantries and lines in place on a few roads alright. The M50 has two line painted sections. None are active to my knowledge. However its only a matter of time before average speed cameras come onto Irish roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What do Go Safe do with foreign reg plates? Not a lot I would assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Stationary cameras on the N2 or N3 .

do they work ?

can they catch you both ways ?

one just after navan heading for dublin and was doing about 80KMh ?

I think those are just for show these days. I doubt there is anything inside the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Stationary cameras on the N2 or N3 .

do they work ?

can they catch you both ways ?

one just after navan heading for dublin and was doing about 80KMh ?

If they are the regular grey gatsos, the take a pic of the rear of the car, on the side of the road they are on.
    I'm not even sure if they are even used anymore.
    If they are still used, there are only 3 photo systems rotated between all of the 12units*

*there were 12 gatsos, but some were burned out,(dunno if any of the 3 photo units were damaged)

They did look quite old and not looked after indeed,

didnt see any kind of flash but was bright out at the same time.

anyway, i hope is ok.

i've heard of a few people that blast past them and never hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't think the road marking are still there on a lot of them. The road on the N2 has been resurfaced anyway near the one at the turn off for Kentstown

I don't think the road marking are still there on a lot of them. The road on the N2 has been resurfaced anyway near the one at the turn off for Kentstown

thats right, there were no lines on the ground

No secondary check possible then. Not a chance they are working so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 galwaygirl92

I was driving home from work today when I noticed one of the safety vans parked just beyond my estate. I was driving about 60-65kph in a 50kph zone but slowed down to the speed limit when I noticed the van. I turned into my estate about 50m before the van. Do you actually have to drive up to the van to be caught or am i done for? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

By the time you get to see the van, the van will have had you in its scope for at least 400m :(

Advertisement