Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Thank you bioware, sincerely, for the giant middle finger to us that was the ME3 ending.
    Three "paths" at the end, with a plot twist at the end that makes no sense, and no matter what you choose, the same ending.

Absolute bullsh*t. All the time you spend gathering resources and forging alliances between different races add up to absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Yep, those are certainly words you typed there.
    No doubt about that.

However I have no goddamn clue what kind of point you're trying to make though and I suspect neither do you.

must......resist......replying.........noooooo

feck it.... "over-entitled fans" (as you put it) VS corporate greed. Who has the right to make demands? It's pretty obvious what I am saying.

Gbear wrote: »
    - Using models from the Shadow broker ship in the design on the citadel
    - Shephard holding his side in the same spot where he shot anderson
    - The gun with infinite shots and no reloading (first play through I died because I kept reloading)
    - The often mentioned Normandy running away
    - With war assets near 8000 Shep survived. How the **** did he survive the citadel blowing up and how did he end up back on earth?

plus...
    - The trees and shrubs around Shepard after he/she gets up from being hit by harbingers beam. They weren't there when he/she was running down the hill and they look suspiciously like the trees from the Dream Sequences.
    - Armor being blown right off but Shepard only has a few bruises and scratches after it
    - Anderson being in the control room even though there is only one obvious way in and he said he followed Shepard into the beam.
    - Illusive man also appearing from thin air.
    - Why is there even a control panel in that room?
    - Why does the "star-child/space-brat" tell Shepard to "wake up"? I thought that was a bit odd considering Shepard is on his knees when he reaches the top of the lift and not lying down asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ian7 wrote: »
    must......resist......replying.........noooooo

feck it.... "over-entitled fans" (as you put it) VS corporate greed. Who has the right to make demands? It's pretty obvious what I am saying.

Corporations are inherently 'greedy', making money is what they do.
    You might as well complain about the tide coming in.

It'd do as much good and make as much sense and whatever the christ you're gibbering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oh look, another reported post about hooradiation's aggressive posting.
    Cut it out, hooradiation or you'll be taking a break for being disruptive.
    Just keep it civil please. It's not too much to ask.

• Advertisement

If you don't think this is civil then I envy the world you live in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"over-entitled fans" (as you put it) VS corporate greed. Who has the right to make demands? It's pretty obvious what I am saying.

I'm sorry, but blaming corporate greed really is nonsense. The Mass Effect series has existed to make money first and foremost, not to provide the fanbase with every single little thing they want. EA and Bioware owe you absolutely nothing at all, and it's slightly ludicrous to think they do. The sold you with well made, fully functional project (ending aside, and even if I was disappointed with the game I got what I paid for). They completed their end of the bargain. Indeed, if they were to listen to every bit of fan feedback, the homosexual relationships would have been cut out entirely after the embarrassing moaning of a group of very loud and very backwards fans (not that the excecution of the sex scenes isn't embarrassing anyway, but hey at least they're consistent). They've actually shown themselves capable of standing firm in the face of irrationality.

It'd be absolutely delightful if every big budget AAA was a glorious slice of perfection. And I'd encourage gamers not to buy games that take the piss quality wise (it's why I didn't buy Dragon Age 2, for example, after discovering the first was an overrated pile of ****e and the second was meant to be worse again). But you live in a world of big budget entertainment, where money making is the primary concern and you have to look to smaller budget material to find the stuff that's happiest to cater to fans. And as most mainstream anime and video games prove, fan service isn't in itself a wholly positive thing.

And, being a film fan, I learned to stop taking rabid fans and the general public entirely seriously some time ago. After all, I consider them entirely to blame for the continued existence of the Transformers films :)

I also think Bioware as a developer are hugely overrated: they have but one formula, arguably growing staler with each release. They are solid entertainers who have made some very good games (ME2 and KOTOR, most notably). They are not, however, anywhere close to being the best of the best.

I'm not forgiving some of Mass Effect's flaws. I simply want to counter the incorrect assumption that there was some sort of insane corporate conspiracy at work. Not at all: it's a simple economic reality.

I'm sorry, but blaming corporate greed really is nonsense.

But it is easy.

I mean, think about it, the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But it is easy.

I mean, think about it, the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

Because a dodgy final five minutes is indeed entirely down to corporate sabotage and money-hunger rather than a failure of execution and inability to match ambition!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

But it is easy.

Well the introduction of day 1 DLC would indicate that Bioware are moving in a different direction. I don't know whether that's due to EA's influence but it is most certainly worrying if it becomes a trend.

Another video by the same fella who did the other 2 i've posted.
    It's about a possible change in Bioware since it was taken over by EA.

Again, it's restrained and self-aware.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6TmTv6deTI&feature=relmfu

Also mentions that for all their "evil coporationyness", apparently EA isn't really that profitable.

• Advertisement

Because a dodgy final five minutes is indeed entirely down to corporate sabotage and money-hunger rather than a failure of execution and inability to match ambition!

There's some indication - could just be speculation - that the ending was done entirely by Casey Hudson and one other fella who's name escapes me. Whereas before, there was an element of peer review, it would be easy to see how 2 guys could **** something up if they weren't bouncing their ideas off enough people.

There's some indication - could just be speculation - that the ending was done entirely by Casey Hudson and one other fella who's name escapes me. Whereas before, there was an element of peer review, it would be easy to see how 2 guys could **** something up if they weren't bouncing their ideas off enough people.

An interesting point, and one likely far more grounded in the reality of the matter.

If you look at a book, TV show or film, we're quick to judge the director or writer for poor delivery, and with good cause. With Mass Effect 3, for some reason, everyone seems to be blaming EA and some sort of purposeful corporate interference. Is it not far more logical to presume that it was merely the incompetence of the writing team?

thanks, you hit the nail squarely on the head.

But I'm glad you guys are happy to pay extra money to play online to get the "best" ending which turns out to be little more than someone breathing. Whatever pleases you i suppose.

Well the introduction of day 1 DLC would indicate that Bioware are moving a different direction. I don't know whether that's due to EA's influence but it is most certainly worrying if it becomes a trend.

ahh yes, "day one DLC"

I'm morbidly curious as to what new direction you think is represented by releasing content we wouldn't otherwise see during the most profitable window of a games lifecycle.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Pay extra to play online to get the best ending?

Am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

thanks, you hit the nail squarely on the head.

But I'm glad you guys are happy to pay extra money to play online to get the "best" ending which turns out to be little more than someone breathing. Whatever pleases you i suppose.

Ian, that DLC you's are talking about will be free, bioware and ea have stated that a few weeks ago. Future DLC after that will most likely require payment, unless they make a worse mess of this upcoming one lol.
    They arent happy about their fans and loyal customers being pissed off either. And so they shouldnt be. Despite what anyone says, the fact is that a lot of people are unsatisfied with the current ending for many reasons. Bioware&EA have taken steps to fix this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17626125

Azza wrote: »

The cost of a Xbox Live gold account, I guess?

:confused:

I don't even know what anyone is arguing anymore!

:confused:

I don't even know what anyone is arguing anymore!

"Fun multiplayer is bad and bioware should feel bad. "
    I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »

I can only assume he's referring to the need to pay for an XBox Live sub in order to play online which in turn increases Galactic Readiness which allows for a higher EMS rating and therefore the full ending.

All of that ignores the fact that you can get a 4000+ EMS score without multiplayer. But hey, why let facts get in the way. :)

• Advertisement

Meh, I chose the blue pill anyway!

really? isnt that the one that gives yer quads a lift?

really? isnt that the one that gives yer quads a lift?

Nah, it's the one that makes stuff explode in blue rather than red or green.

dang, i've been taking the wrong pills then!

gizmo wrote: »
    All of that ignores the fact that you can get a 4000+ EMS score without multiplayer. But hey, why let facts get in the way. :)

Yes I was talking about xbox live gold but possibly the EA pass if you buy the game second hand but I now stand corrected on the "best" ending. I didn't know you could get that off-line. :o sorry

Anyway, I stand by the corporation giants vs the end user argument and that the so called "over entitled man children" as they have been described so negatively here do have a right to be vocal about the ending. If the games companies can suit themselves to earn more money from a product then we can at the very least demand that the service or product be up to scratch. In this case, the ending fell flat on it's face which for many, completely taints the entire game and undoes all the good work put into it. I know the company are releasing the extended cut for free, which I am delighted about but there are still a number of people on this forum slamming others for demanding this extended cut in the first place. The very people who will gladly play through the DLC with the expectation that it delivers what it is setting out to do.

Anyway, I stand by the corporation giants vs the end user argument and that the so called "over entitled man children" as they have been described so negatively here do have a right to be vocal about the ending.

Yeah, because it's just "people being disappointed with the ending" that's the problem here.

ahh yes, "day one DLC"

I'm morbidly curious as to what new direction you think is represented by releasing content we wouldn't otherwise see during the most profitable window of a games lifecycle.

That we wouldn't otherwise see it without forking out extra money is the point. Why wasn't it included with the rest of the game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That we wouldn't otherwise see it without forking out extra money is the point. Why wasn't it included with the rest of the game?

$

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    $

Exactly. Which is the point I was making originally.

They chanced their arm and made a gamble that the money earned by the DLC would be greater then the total losses caused by pissing off the fans.

Personally I think a move like that is always shortsighted and it can have long term consequences that are hard to quantify.

• Advertisement

Firstly it had to be cut so the game could ship on time.
    So you were never going to see it, if not for the advent of DLC. And before you start, no, I don't care how you feel about it, that's the reality of the situation.

Secondly, you claimed this was a "new direction" for bioware - let's assume, for the fun of it, you're right. What is new about companies wanting to make money?

Thirdly, please don't quote that insufferably awful video that was linked earlier, regurgitating other peoples terrible ideas won't get you anywhere.

Advertisement