Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Zillah wrote: »
    You're weirdly belligerent.

This is not just me, I have seen people complaining about this in other places. The store steals credits but doesn't produce packs. Sometimes it won't let you buy anything at all. Enemies get stuck in terrain and become immortal, making the game impossible to finish. Powers stop working for no reason. Powers don't work as intended. Missile launchers fire but then don't do anything. Characters fall through terrain or get stuck in it, or fly off into the sky. Enemies stop attacking certain players, who in turn can't hurt them. Enemies die but end up standing there until the end of the round anyway. Physics glitches to do with cover, dodging and camera angles crop up randomly. Boss enemies trigger kill animations through walls, around corners and from absurd distances away. And yes, players get disconnected from the EA central server (not the actual game they are playing, that connection is fine) at the very end of 30 minute Gold rounds and lose everything they have earned, but also lose any expendable items they brought into the game.

None of these are rare, they are horribly horribly common. The game is incredibly buggy. It's still great fun, but it is very rough around the edges.
    Never happened to me!
    *shrugs*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've experienced a few of the above, and have seen others experience them too. Not that often, but they are definitely there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I have also experienced a few of the items Zillah mentions. more so over the last week (PS3 player here), especially the failure to purchase the packs with the in game credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This is not just me, I have seen people complaining about this in other places. The store steals credits but doesn't produce packs. Sometimes it won't let you buy anything at all. Enemies get stuck in terrain and become immortal, making the game impossible to finish. Powers stop working for no reason. Powers don't work as intended. Missile launchers fire but then don't do anything. Characters fall through terrain or get stuck in it, or fly off into the sky. Enemies stop attacking certain players, who in turn can't hurt them. Enemies die but end up standing there until the end of the round anyway. Physics glitches to do with cover, dodging and camera angles crop up randomly. Boss enemies trigger kill animations through walls, around corners and from absurd distances away. And yes, players get disconnected from the EA central server (not the actual game they are playing, that connection is fine) at the very end of 30 minute Gold rounds and lose everything they have earned, but also lose any expendable items they brought into the game.

None of these are rare, they are horribly horribly common. The game is incredibly buggy. It's still great fun, but it is very rough around the edges.

Literally every single one of the things mentioned have happened to me.
    Also the game has started crashing alot more since the patch.

A problem with games in this condition is that by the time they iron out all the mistakes I'll have gotten bored with the game and will probably never experience the game at it's best. Shame. Luckily Diablo 3's coming out so I'll be able to shelf the game and maybe save a few replays and a spot of multiplayer for 6 months time when hopefully it's in a better state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just finished this last night and wtf is all I can say. It was going just fine until I got hit my the Reaper laser.
    During the cut scene, the IM uses a biotic power and I fire a shot at Anderson that seems to do noting?????? And we all carry on the conversation.

Before I shoot the IM with the RT option before he tries to execute Anderson

Also at the very end I only got two choices. Control or Destroy. While I was looking for the third option I got a 'game over the catalyst has been destroyed' message. So I did a retry and took the destroy option before the time ran out again. I have no ideal where to get the third option. I did everything, 46hrs and level 46 on my first playthrough.

Very glitchy game though. There were two side quests than glitched and I could not complete because the game messed up, no way to fix them with a reload. Plus one main story mission glitched and I had to reload my last check point to clear it. At least twice I deployed on a single player mission with only a pistol, I only ever equip an AR and SR and never have a pistol in inventory ever. Seems to happen after cut scenes where you hold a pistol and it switched back to in game and all I have is this phantom pistol and nothing else.

This was all on the Xbox version. The mission glitches were before the patch and the weapon glitches were after the patch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

You're weirdly belligerent.

If you say so.

Yeah, i figured you weren't going to grasp the concept. Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Hey Hooradiation:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're so smart and mysterious, the other posters must think you're the coolest.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Throwing in my two cents about hating Origin. Tried numerous times to buy the From Ashes DLC with Bioware points, but they kept refusing my credit card. Tried two different cards, nothing. No other option to pay - no Paypal, no bank transfer, nothing. Said screw it, and "obtained" the DLC from elsewhere. With the recent Origin update, I can't authorize the DLC, (fair enough) and so can't use any of my single player save games (admittedly on 2nd playthrough, with the "best" ending already seen), but I still can't buy the DLC! The worst thing is, last year I was able to buy Bioware points to get the ME2 DLC, before Origin, with the same card! Give me Steam any day...

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Is there no option to buy the DLC direct from Bioware like you could with ME 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Retake it from who, exactly?

From EA obviously.
    Like what? That these 'fans' are over entitled man children with no goddamn sense of perspective and are impossible to please?
    We already knew that.

They aren't impossible to please. Their desires are pretty obvious. Just because everyone loathed the announcement Bioware made about adding "Extended Cut" DLC doesn't mean that they are impossible to please, it just means that Bioware failed to please them, for "artistic integrity" or some other bullcrap. Plus the vast majority of Mass Effect fans want the ending changed, they're not a splinter group. Its just that the most vocal and active have formed/joined Retake. Its clear from the gigantic price drop on Mass Effect 3 that there has been some kind of tectonic reaction to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

When I went to the Bioware website to buy points, the exact same interface came up (complete with lack of options). Must have been EA harmonising their sales modus operandus under Origin. Sucks. I might pick up the game again when the story DLC comes out, but as I already own it on Origin, I have no qualms about getting the more convenient option.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    From EA obviously.

They aren't impossible to please. Their desires are pretty obvious. Just because everyone loathed the announcement Bioware made about adding "Extended Cut" DLC doesn't mean that they are impossible to please, it just means that Bioware failed to please them, for "artistic integrity" or some other bullcrap. Plus the vast majority of Mass Effect fans want the ending changed, they're not a splinter group. Its just that the most vocal and active have formed/joined Retake. Its clear from the gigantic price drop on Mass Effect 3 that there has been some kind of tectonic reaction to this.

Would the ending be any different really if EA Didn't own Bioware? How do we know, its all hypothetical in the extreme, after all EA didn't write the ending, Bioware did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Meesared wrote: »
    Would the ending be any different really if EA Didn't own Bioware? How do we know, its all hypothetical in the extreme, after all EA didn't write the ending, Bioware did.

Aye, but i'm sure pressure from EA (which there more than likely was) to release asap, coupled with the leaked ending, rushed the re-writing of the ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, i'm certain there were people who were upset by the last harry potter book and it's ending, but I don't recall a concerted campaign to get JK rowling to rewrite it. Getting closer to gamers on the horrible nerd spectrum, I know some people got upset with the JJ Abrams star trek reboot because it somehow meant the original series, movies and all subsequent spinoffs didn't happen. I don't care to understand their reasoning, but I don't recall there being a similar outpuring of demands for change. And given the film went ahead as reported, I think we can assume any calls were met with a well deserved "get fucked"

There’s no logic in comparing Harry Potter or the recent Star Trek reboot; both are passive media; created by the authors, consumed by the users. Gaming by its very nature is a more interactive experience, is often focused on engaging the userbase, and in the case of Mass Effect, the end-product is a more personalised, choice-driven one in the first instance. As was already mentioned, ME2 changed itself to cater for the fans’ love of Garrus & Tali. Which is all hunky-dory, only at the last-minute Bioware changed the goalposts and the rules. Is that the maker’s prerogative? Of course, but it was still a bone-headed manoeuvre that didn’t really respect the fanbase that made the game the popular success.

Look at it another way - it’s not about what the gamers deserve, it’s what a lot of them think the mythology deserves. The details & opinions on the content no doubt differ, but the sentiment is the same; Mass Effect got a pretty poor send-off & deserved better. Some spread this message more obnoxiously than others, but the general idea's the same.
    You are more generous to people than I would be.

Clearly, judging by your tone with other users; it's not really any different from the ranting fanboys you yourself decry.

Aye, but i'm sure pressure from EA (which there more than likely was) to release asap, coupled with the leaked ending, rushed the re-writing of the ending.
    I dunno, I seriously doubt it, and what leaked ending?

Supposedly a week or so before the game was released, the ending was leaked online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There was a massive leak months before release, which caused them to completely re-write the ending.

Supposedly a week or so before the game was released, the ending was leaked online.
    Heh sorry but that was the same ending we got (ripped from pirate copies of the game), the game would have "went gold" 2 weeks or more before release, they are not going to write and develop a new ending a week before release, its completely impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

If it involved a proper unveiling of female korgan and the quarians i'm going to track down the leaker.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    There was a massive leak months before release, which caused them to completely re-write the ending.
    I don't think it was re-written, why wouldn't they just release the originally intended ending as DLC after all this furore if that was the case, given it was almost completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

From EA obviously.
    Regardless of what kind of deadline EA would have set for Bioware to release the game, they are in no way responsible for the ending they got.

On that note, this blaming of EA for Bioware's woes is actually hilarious given the fact it's being championed by a such as supposedly dedicated group of fans who, it seems, aren't even aware of the changes that were happening in the company prior to the acquisition by EA.
    The price drop is meaningless. Mass Effect 2 had a similar price drop and that didn't anything close to the level of complaints that Mass Effect 3 saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

whatever the case and whether they changed the ending before the games release or not, it still feels somewhat rushed and detached from the rest of the game. There's no denying that. If this was any other series of games there wouldn't be such an out-pour of want for a "proper" ending. It's the nature of the Mass effect series that has developed this level of expectation right from the very beginning. It's an exceptional situation for an exceptional series of games. However, harassment and malice towards Bioware and it's employee's (including community reps on the bioware forum) cannot be condoned. I really hope that Mass effect fans are bigger than that.

I do also despise the negative sentiment from certain people toward fans who want more from this game. It's to be expected though i suppose.

I'm still holding on strongly to the 'indoctrination theory' too! :P I would be forever in awe of Bioware if this all turns out to be some uber cloak and dagger situation. Saying that, i'll just have to learn to accept the ending as it is if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ian7 wrote: »
    I'm still holding on strongly to the 'indoctrination theory' too! :P I would be forever in awe of Bioware if this all turns out to be some uber cloak and dagger situation. Saying that, i'll just have to learn to accept the ending as it is if not.

I don't really think it's very likely but there's nothing stopping you from deciding to make it canon. Until the ending DLC comes out taking the ending as per the IT is perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't think it was re-written, why wouldn't they just release the originally intended ending as DLC after all this furore if that was the case, given it was almost completed.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, it is public knowledge that the Mass Effect 3 ending, which had to do with dark energy building up and threatening the universe, was leaked and consequently changed before release.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i'd heard that too before release, and iirc the original ME3 thread had a warning on it about the spoiler too.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, it is public knowledge that the Mass Effect 3 ending, which had to do with dark energy building up and threatening the universe, was leaked and consequently changed before release.
    Perhaps but my point is since people are so unhappy with this ending, why not release that ending as DLC since it is written and probably a hell of a lot of work done on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Perhaps but my point is since people are so unhappy with this ending, why not release that ending as DLC since it is written and probably a hell of a lot of work done on it?
    It would totally depend on what work had been done of course but since they were happy to do a rewrite then I'd imagine it had very little in the way of cinematic and (possibly) voice work recorded, neither of which are cheap or quick to do unfortuantely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

There was some mention of it officially recently, though the details are sketchy. Apparently the ending is going to be given a lot more detail and the actual endings will be "better" than picking a different coloured explosion.
    afaik it's free too.

• Advertisement

There was some mention of it officially recently, though the details are sketchy. Apparently the ending is going to be given a lot more detail and the actual endings will be "better" than picking a different coloured explosion.
    afaik it's free too.
    It is, but from what they have said its only expanding on the existing ending, and not really changing it per say

Advertisement