Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

does anyone remember the water called "bling" they sold in Superquinn for about 60 euro for 750ml (not a joke btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Ah yes, next item:
    Receiving letters stating that the limit on your card has been raised without asking and receiving pre-approved loans and mortgages in the post.
    I wanted to see if I could get my credit card limit beyond E10k, only managed 8!

On ranges and wooden flooring and such like:
    It's called taste and style, it's for people who do not put laminate or nylon carpet on the floor of their crappy estate house and then furnish it from the Argos catalog.
    Coming from Germany I am used to a certain solidity in houses and their furnishings.
    Coming here I was aghast at the three inch thick walls, the ghastly white veneer MDF furniture, the plastic roof-tiles, the doors that would look flimsy on a barbie playhouse, the way everything seemed to be made as small as possible, as cheap as possible, as nasty as possible.
    True, putting good finishing on a nasty, celtic-tiger era estate house is a bit like blinging and pimping out your Hyundai Accent, but it still beats that flimsy, chaep shyte that a lot of houses where furnished with.
    If I where to do up my house, I'd still get the best I can afford. For some people cheap crap will do, because that's all they know, but people in the know will always think "That poor bastard!"

But the number one Celtic Tiger Accessory:
    The Breezeblock!
    The nastiest, cheapest, ugliest, most inefficient piece of sh*t to build houses with, naturally wildly popular here.
    A celtic tiger monument would only need one of those on a plinth, all explained in one item.

hyundai accent? is it anything like a Vietnamese one. :)fi' dorrar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

A week on the slopes....Ah thems were the days..

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

timberland wrote: »
    does anyone remember the water called "bling" they sold in Superquinn for about 60 euro for 750ml (not a joke btw)

rip off, unless it was buy one get one free.

Actually I would never have drunk that chap catspiss.

This is the only water worth drinkin'

http://www.springwatershop.com/bling-h2o-the-dubai-series-en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Yeah, I think it's seen as extravagant here because it apparently pushes up the heating bills a lot and is costly to maintain.
    no, it's not, only if someone's done a really crappy job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

timberland wrote: »

i remember that, they had a whole display of outrageously expensive bottled water, i remember me and my oh were standing in front of it, crying with laughter and the manager was giving us those pitying looks as in "you poor sods, you don't understand how great it is to be able to afford the best" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

forfuxsake wrote: »
    rip off, unless it was buy one get one free.

Actually I would never have drunk that chap catspiss.

This is the only water worth drinkin'

http://www.springwatershop.com/bling-h2o-the-dubai-series-en.html

thats the stuff i was talking about. its unreal... what kinda w**ker actually drinks that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

haminka wrote: »
    no, it's not, only if someone's done a really crappy job.

Irish builders had many other cups of tea to make jobs to get to, the work would be shoddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

grindle wrote: »
    Irish builders had many other bottles of bling water & breakfast rolls jobs to get to, the work would be shoddy.

FYP:D

Hah! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I'd put the tosser total around the 60-70% mark, taking into account the elderly and the council estate dwellers..

My parents, my sister, my sister's boyfriend and my boyfriend aren't tossers so*, and don't fall into either exceptional demographic you mention above. :cool: I'm sure many people here can similarly list off people who didn't get sucked in either.

* I don't include myself here in the interests of fairness because I was a student for the duration of the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

A made up bullsh*t opinion on wines
    Cosmetic dentistry
    a £1500 bicycle/skis/jet ski
    a new phone/laptop every 6 months
    chocolate fountains
    a cleaner whose name you dont know. Make sure you endlessly go on about how crap she is and how you cant get good help these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

For awhile, every blocklayer just out of school seemed to be driving a BMW 3 series. Typically a Paddy-spec model with no extras and a crappy 1.6 litre engine.

A golf first, then the 3 series.
    Someone on the motors forum said before, if you could get a 5 series BMW with a 1.3 diesel engine it would be the best selling car in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A golf first, then the 3 series.
    Someone on the motors forum said before, if you could get a 5 series BMW with a 1.3 diesel engine it would be the best selling car in Ireland.

I once suggested the 5 series with a 1.4 petrol, steel rims, no aircon, non-tinted glass, non metallic paint, excercise windows, cassette tape radio and cloth upholstery might sell quite well.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I once suggested the 5 series with a 1.4 petrol, steel rims, no aircon, non-tinted glass, non metallic paint, excercise windows, cassette tape radio and cloth upholstery might sell quite well.;)

nah what you want really is one of those small 8.5hp or 11hp diesel engines. If you were able to retrofit them in old cars from the scrap heap people will go mad for them and the low tax from having a 300cc engine and its a diesel. Everything has to be a diesel now. Its worth spending 12k to save 200e a year in fuel.

For a while, don't know if its still the case you couldn't buy a diesel car on carzone for less than 2k, yet perfectly good Peugeot 406's with petrol engines were going for a few 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't include myself here in the interests of fairness because I was a student for the duration of the boom.

Fair play to you Seomra! Most people that didn't buy houses were students too, but they will tell us here that they didn't buy because THEY KNEW it would all come tumbling down! Exactly like the people who boasted about their house price rising. THEY KNEW their purchase would inflate to a ridiculous price. :o

My parents, my sister, my sister's boyfriend, my boyfriend and myself.

FYP, just because I know a shocking number of students paying back unbelievable credit card debts right now, or who had to drop out due to them (got the card pre-college, kept spending). You deserve the honorary badge of "Not Thick".
    I'm sure loads of people didn't get sucked in.
    Most did. I did in small ways (money-wasting/alcomohawl), but I forced a limit on my potential losses early on, so I'd never screw myself over to the point of crippling myself or others.
    All of my family were the worst of the worst for the Tiger-scat-binging, but my father was lucky to cash out of his house early in 2007 (he sold it for €500,000, he built it for €80,000 including the land, and it went up for sale again two years later for €350,000! Ouch.)
    Take a read through threads here or on the Politics.ie forum circa '05-'06. An unwieldy amount of believers in the upwards spiral.
    I dunno, maybe my 60-70% is harsh?
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Fair play to you Seomra! Most people that didn't buy houses were students too, but they will tell us here that they didn't buy because THEY KNEW it would all come tumbling down! Exactly like the people who boasted about their house price rising. THEY KNEW their purchase would inflate to a ridiculous price. :o
    I wasn't a student; and they knew it would go up for the first couple of years, after that EVERYONE was guessing and hoping and praying.

eth0 wrote: »
    nah what you want really is one of those small 8.5hp or 11hp diesel engines. If you were able to retrofit them in old cars from the scrap heap people will go mad for them and the low tax from having a 300cc engine and its a diesel. Everything has to be a diesel now. Its worth spending 12k to save 200e a year in fuel.

For a while, don't know if its still the case you couldn't buy a diesel car on carzone for less than 2k, yet perfectly good Peugeot 406's with petrol engines were going for a few 100.

This disease has even affected the classic car world.
    People buy classic cars, rip out the petrol engine and put in a Nissan, Ford or VW diesel.
    Combine that with parking said cars in the drive, rather than a proper garage and you will find that Ireland is responsible for destroying thousands of classic cars.
    Two cases I know of:
    A 1977 Merc 450SEL that had it's 4.5 liter V8 replaced by a three liter diesel.
    Because she's grrrand lad, now, jaysus, she's good on the juice, flying it now.
    Usually seen crawling around town at 5 mph because the engine barely has enough power to move it about.
    My tip: Buy a fcuking diesel Merc if you want a diesel Merc, plenty of old oil-burners out there, why butcher a classic?
    A Jaguar XJS that had it's petrol engine replaced by a Nissan diesel unit from a van.
    Jesus wept.
    If you want a fcuking diesel, buy a fcuking diesel. But stop destroying classic cars.

A Jaguar XJS that had it's petrol engine replaced by a Nissan diesel unit from a van.
    Revolting.

• Advertisement

FYP, just because I know a shocking number of students paying back unbelievable credit card debts right now, or who had to drop out due to them (got the card pre-college, kept spending). You deserve the honorary badge of "Not Thick".

I've never had a credit card even now that I'm working and don't intend on getting one anytime soon. What are you rambling on about? :confused:

Revolting.

And the guy saying "Ah, she's grrand, get 40 to the gallon ,grand yoke to be surre"
    Hanging's too good for him.

John_Rambo wrote: »

My dad's job links to the construction industry, though his business remained small throughout the boom. He knew in 2006 that things were slowing down. I specifically remember on New Year's Day 2007, him telling me a crash was coming.

And that's why I said "In the interests of fairness", because I didn't make any claims of myself, it just wasn't on my radar at the time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Hand cooked Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Crisps.

Tayto? Please......

Crisps,Don't get me started on crisps, And people sweating and chatting...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This disease has even affected the classic car world.
    People buy classic cars, rip out the petrol engine and put in a Nissan, Ford or VW diesel.
    Combine that with parking said cars in the drive, rather than a proper garage and you will find that Ireland is responsible for destroying thousands of classic cars.
    Two cases I know of:
    A 1977 Merc 450SEL that had it's 4.5 liter V8 replaced by a three liter diesel.
    Because she's grrrand lad, now, jaysus, she's good on the juice, flying it now.
    Usually seen crawling around town at 5 mph because the engine barely has enough power to move it about.
    My tip: Buy a fcuking diesel Merc if you want a diesel Merc, plenty of old oil-burners out there, why butcher a classic?
    Jesus wept.
    If you want a fcuking diesel, buy a fcuking diesel. But stop destroying classic cars.

People that did that should be treated the same as politicians, bankers, property speculators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What's more annoying?

Celtic Tiger house buyers that used to go on about how much more their house was worth each month as if they were some sort of business genius?

People that never bought that go on about how they rented during the celtic tiger as if they were some sort of business genius?

Dempsey wrote: »
    People that did that should be treated the same as politicians, bankers, property speculators.

So, no action at all, or retired on a full pension with benefits, stock option and a million euro lump sum?:p

I've never had a credit card even now that I'm working and don't intend on getting one anytime soon. What are you rambling on about? :confused:

?
    I was commending your frugality and demeaning other's non-frugality. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Limos, for kids birthdays, nights out, go to Centra. It was mental alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

An insecurity complex masquerading as a smug "I'm all right Jack" attitude.

Changing your car every year - because you were leasing it - total madness IMO.

Weekend "spa" pampering breaks.

A portfolio of rental properties in locations you had no idea about and where no actual understanding of basic economics or how market cycles work - what goes up, must come down again.

Stainless steel kitchens - with the obligatory Island - out of decor magazines.

Advertisement