Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

http://img.designswan.com/2010/12/lightShow/1.jpg
    There was a load of money spent on outside christmas lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

For the self-proclaimed elite: Champagne Mojitos.
    And for the oiks of us: Double vodka and Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Arts courses. 4 years wasted for nothing but a degree, and a life on the dole, or living off mammy and daddy as most were.

Another was TV's, it was like everybody was in competition to have a bigger tv than their friends.

And plastic surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Arts courses. 4 years wasted for nothing but a degree, and a life on the dole, or living off mammy and daddy as most were.

Another was TV's, it was like everybody was in competition to have a bigger tv than their friends.

And plastic surgery.
    these things all seem at least as prevalent (if not more so) in post-Celtic Tiger recession Ireland as they were in the ´good old days´

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

stetyrrell wrote: »

And plastic surgery.

As opposed to waking straight outta school onto a building site and pretending that you had a trade?

Or doing a degree in business studies and winding up working for a bank?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I still see breakfast rolls around a good bit, but I haven't seen a panini in years. They were unreal!

baz2009 wrote: »
    I still see breakfast rolls around a good bit, but I haven't seen a panini in years. They were unreal!

I think Dez Bishop once called them "Half the Sandwich for Twice the Money".
    He was popular during the boom too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

This shyte film, Tiger's Tale is on RTE 1 now. Brings me right back to the madness.

Work Christmas parties abroad. One company I worked for had their Christmas parties in major European cities each year.

Also, The hen / stag parties abroad seems to much less popular now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

A 80000 Euro commissioned metal art piece and stick it up beside some new 3km stretch of ring road only to be grinded off onto some truck a few years later and melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

grindle wrote: »
    FYP, just because I know a shocking number of students paying back unbelievable credit card debts right now, or who had to drop out due to them (got the card pre-college, kept spending). You deserve the honorary badge of "Not Thick".
    I'm sure loads of people didn't get sucked in.
    Most did. I did in small ways (money-wasting/alcomohawl), but I forced a limit on my potential losses early on, so I'd never screw myself over to the point of crippling myself or others.
    All of my family were the worst of the worst for the Tiger-scat-binging, but my father was lucky to cash out of his house early in 2007 (he sold it for €500,000, he built it for €80,000 including the land, and it went up for sale again two years later for €350,000! Ouch.)
    Take a read through threads here or on the Politics.ie forum circa '05-'06. An unwieldy amount of believers in the upwards spiral.
    I dunno, maybe my 60-70% is harsh?

I wasn't a student; and they knew it would go up for the first couple of years, after that EVERYONE was guessing and hoping and praying.

I can gladly say at 25 i never have had a credit card or even a debit card... and while at some point i will need a debit i plan on not having a credit card for a very very long time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

44leto wrote: »
    Sky Sports.

sky sports pisses me off.... when i cant even watch little old ireland play a soccer friendly without having to pay extoronists amounts of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Squ wrote: »
    How much did your kitchen cost?

Built it myself and have a friend in the trades who was able to get the materials at discount, so sweet F-all, i'm handy like that.

You one of the ones suffering from 'assholism'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

twinytwo wrote: »
    sky sports pisses me off.... when i cant even watch little old ireland play a soccer friendly without having to pay extoronists amounts of money.

Cnuts found a way of printing money, there is always the pub. I think the basic servic is very good, but as the sports it extortionist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Cnuts found a way of printing money, there is always the pub. I think the basic servic is very good, but as the sports it extortionist.
    A few years ago I was onto a good thing with <not sure if i can name the program> sounds like Soapcost. I saw every match I wanted in good quality fullscreen. Then they started blocking streams and thousands of people watching slowed it down :(
    There are ways around paying sky but its not worth it for a home user. Match of the Day does the job or the pub for big games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

You one of the ones suffering from 'assholism'?
    where did that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

The fact that we had so much money that spelling and grammar suddenly became completely unnecessary. In fact, being inarticulate and using txt spk became cool.

not a bad post from my cheap as chips samsung mobile phone, which doesn't have any sesitivity when it comes to typing on it, but maybe after a hard day doing nothing i might be too tired to use the pc instead ?

as for lending the car: t'was the least he could do, all the wee nixiers i done and never asked for a penny... heck even when i got my provo we take one of them for a spin and i had to pay for petrol ( i'd burned about 5 euros worth, put 20 in cause im so sound like.. )

when my friends/family etc are learning to drive ill always offer up my banger, never ask for cash... maybe a jump when the battery dies and they have their own rusty banger to fly around it... but then again, i didn't really have alot if any money back then when the fun times where being had by everyone else, t'was the only perk i had ( when you're watching all you're friends go on two holidays a year, folks with new cars, kids spoilt etc etc etc )

also, how come nobody has mentioned off lisense on speed dail along with dominos and such... cause you know most of the lasy good for nothings musta been tired after a long day of lying to the bank so they need 6 cans of heino and a large pizza ryosh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

where did that come from?

My head. :)

Apologies man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Pdfile wrote: »
    not a bad post from my cheap as chips samsung mobile phone, which doesn't have any sesitivity when it comes to typing on it, but maybe after a hard day doing nothing i might be too tired to use the pc instead ?

as for lending the car: t'was the least he could do, all the wee nixiers i done and never asked for a penny... heck even when i got my provo we take one of them for a spin and i had to pay for petrol ( i'd burned about 5 euros worth, put 20 in cause im so sound like.. )

when my friends/family etc are learning to drive ill always offer up my banger, never ask for cash... maybe a jump when the battery dies and they have their own rusty banger to fly around it... but then again, i didn't really have alot if any money back then when the fun times where being had by everyone else, t'was the only perk i had ( when you're watching all you're friends go on two holidays a year, folks with new cars, kids spoilt etc etc etc )

Maybe you should start a "we were so poor..." thread Frank McCourt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sky Sports.

Seriously? SS was around and very popular well before the Celtic Tiger era. Are we now just listing things that not everyone has? It's not something you heard people boasting about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Seriously? SS was around and very popular well before the Celtic Tiger era. Are we now just listing things that not everyone has? It's not something you heard people boasting about.

You have a colour TV???? Did you not know that boasting about how poor you are is the new fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

micropig wrote: »
    Lots of people going around talking to themselves in the street, car etc

Bluetooth headsets:rolleyes:
    Lots of people taxi drivers going around talking to themselves in the street, car etc

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

sayou wrote: »
    wow, don't miss this wonderful golf play: more exciting. and you will get a free golf cap

Too poor to play golf now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

8 spot lights in every room rather than a single bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

ki wrote: »
    8 spot lights in every room rather than a single bulb.
    Spots @ 3w each, filiment bulbs for a sitting room are 60-80w..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Spots @ 3w each, filiment bulbs for a sitting room are 60-80w..

During the tiger those spots would have been 50w each.

also a massive rake of outdoor lights from the house to the entrance just to waste even more power and maybe a few on the house itself as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I got sky sports in 2 weeks ago. Funny that people head out to the pub all day drinking pints - spending in one day on pints what sky sports would cost for 2 months!

eth0 wrote: »
    During the tiger those spots would have been 50w each.

also a massive rake of outdoor lights from the house to the entrance just to waste even more power and maybe a few on the house itself as well

What I've seen a lot here in Clare:
    You have to build a MASSIVE house with absolutely no design features whatsoever. Well, maybe the fake greek colums. Just a big, square box, only about a third bigger than a regular house.
    This house HAS to be as close to the road as anyhow possible, so it can be seen. So that it can be seen even better, you must not have anything obscuring it, like trees, bushes or walls.
    The you get at least 4 high powered spotlights and aim the from the garden at the house.
    Result? A ghastly celtic tiger castle that is being lit up so you can see it from space, so even aliens flying by know how much money you have.
    Range Rover, trampolin, patio heater on the one acre of decking and jet-skis go without saying.
    It must be horrible living in a house like that, it must be like being under siege from the cops and they have the spotlights on you.
    What kind of sick mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tripe man

I remember buying Bill Gates as a slave just to wipe my ass, that's how rich I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Electric gates

Advertisement