Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

gubbie wrote: »
    Electric gates

First my kitchen, then my spot lamps, then my sky sports, now my gates?
    Whats wrong with €800 electric gates!!??

We'll all be living like students before the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

What I've seen a lot here in Clare:
    You have to build a MASSIVE house with absolutely no design features whatsoever. Well, maybe the fake greek colums. Just a big, square box, only about a third bigger than a regular house.
    This house HAS to be as close to the road as anyhow possible, so it can be seen. So that it can be seen even better, you must not have anything obscuring it, like trees, bushes or walls.
    The you get at least 4 high powered spotlights and aim the from the garden at the house.
    Result? A ghastly celtic tiger castle that is being lit up so you can see it from space, so even aliens flying by know how much money you have.
    Range Rover, trampolin, patio heater on the one acre of decking and jet-skis go without saying.
    It must be horrible living in a house like that, it must be like being under siege from the cops and they have the spotlights on you.
    What kind of sick mind...

Sounds like Cratloe so... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Squ wrote: »

Spot lights ha ha ha ha ha what a tosser!!!!! Spose you have dimmers too? :p
    You really got above your station didnt ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

What I've seen a lot here in Clare:
    You have to build a MASSIVE house with absolutely no design features whatsoever. Well, maybe the fake greek colums. Just a big, square box, only about a third bigger than a regular house.
    This house HAS to be as close to the road as anyhow possible, so it can be seen. So that it can be seen even better, you must not have anything obscuring it, like trees, bushes or walls.
    The you get at least 4 high powered spotlights and aim the from the garden at the house.
    Result? A ghastly celtic tiger castle that is being lit up so you can see it from space, so even aliens flying by know how much money you have.
    Range Rover, trampolin, patio heater on the one acre of decking and jet-skis go without saying.
    It must be horrible living in a house like that, it must be like being under siege from the cops and they have the spotlights on you.
    What kind of sick mind...

And totally incomplete without a hot tub on the decking! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I personally always found them standoffish and never liked having to wait in the rain while someone goes to open them :(

Also a 00 reg.

• Advertisement

I personally always found them standoffish and never liked having to wait in the rain while someone goes to open them
    Mine are for security, as I'm so far out the country that the only people who'll be coming to my house unannounced are knackers looking to steal my jetskis and deck heaters ;)

So different strokes..

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Why the hatred of spot lights? :P I have spot lights and some dimmers around my house and they look better than dangling bulbs at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Why the hatred of spot lights? :P I have spot lights and some dimmers around my house and they look better than dangling bulbs at least!

I bet you have a colour television as well you show-off!

I bet you have a colour television as well you show-off!

Probably has one of those machines that washes your clothes for you!!
    I dunno how these bankers sleep at night.

To precious to go down to the river and wash your clothes by hand eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I know a guy who had a button put in his new 07 Audi TT convertible that would open his electric gates
    €450 option
    He never used it as his gates were stuck open haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

My parents have dimmers since 1986!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My parents have dimmers since 1986!!!

Well oh-lah-dee-dah. Were they made of gold and encrusted with diamonds too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I personally always found them standoffish and never liked having to wait in the rain while someone goes to open them :(

Also a 00 reg.

Wait in rain at the intercom, while they watch you on their security camera:rolleyes:

I thought we left reg snobbery back in the days when the tiger was roaring:p

micropig wrote: »

I thought we left reg snobbery back in the days when the tiger was roaring:p

Begrudgery is the new snobbery..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

A ghastly sense of entitlement.

The keeping up with the Joneses element was far funnier between farmers, two neighbours of mine were one upping each other for a good five years, every time one bought something the other would have a slightly higher spec version within the month. Nothing like seeing a fat chubby balding culchie looking smugly at his rival out the back window of his shiny new Goliath of a Massy Ferguson, whilst bouncing up the excuse for a road - too small for the tractor I should add - that despite all the money in the country only got worse as the years progressed. Funny what was prioritised.

And the culchie version of stripy shirts tucked into blue jeans - the brightly coloured Tommy Hilfiger jumper, no Irishman should ever own anything in lime green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

grindle wrote: »
    FYP, just because I know a shocking number of students paying back unbelievable credit card debts right now, or who had to drop out due to them (got the card pre-college, kept spending). You deserve the honorary badge of "Not Thick".
    I'm sure loads of people didn't get sucked in.
    Most did. I did in small ways (money-wasting/alcomohawl), but I forced a limit on my potential losses early on, so I'd never screw myself over to the point of crippling myself or others.
    All of my family were the worst of the worst for the Tiger-scat-binging, but my father was lucky to cash out of his house early in 2007 (he sold it for €500,000, he built it for €80,000 including the land, and it went up for sale again two years later for €350,000! Ouch.)
    Take a read through threads here or on the Politics.ie forum circa '05-'06. An unwieldy amount of believers in the upwards spiral.
    I dunno, maybe my 60-70% is harsh?

I wasn't a student; and they knew it would go up for the first couple of years, after that EVERYONE was guessing and hoping and praying.

yes it is quite harsh to be honest. There were plenty of people in Ireland that never believed in the celtic tiger myth. Hell, you only had to think about it for five minutes to realise it was never true. People had the foresight NOT to believe what they were told by the govt. They are called cynics. The people that get slated for "not buying" by the people who bought using 100 percent mortgage whose houses are going for a dime now, or whose houses are falling apart due to the way they were put up (with superglue and icing sugar). Give credit to the people who just never believed the myth - they are out there and they are the lucky ones now. They are the ones you will see flying off for sun holidays while the "I'm so much better than you as I "own" a house" are busy trying to pay off debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Own a boxer common one of the celtic tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I heard about this service yesterday:

"Hire an interior designer for a day - €350 + VAT."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Tvs in the back of the cars for the kids

Snowie wrote: »

LOL yeah ha ha ha Oh how i Scoof when i see them. The view from the moving car or reading the beano aint good enough... want to be horse whipped......

• Advertisement

Snowie wrote: »

The poverty in this tread knows no bounds, cant afford €60 for a couple of screens to keep the kids happy?

Are we to forgo all technology that became popular anytime from 1999-2007?

Back to dial up so ye fancy feckers with your decadent broad band.

The poverty in this tread knows no bounds, cant afford €60 for a couple of screens to keep the kids happy?

Are we to forgo all technology that became popular anytime from 1999-2007?

Back to dial up so ye fancy feckers with your decadent broad band.

*Posted from my swarovski encrusted Blackberry, from a beach in Bulgaria

:D:D

Did anyone mention that twat that couldnt drink beer on draught but needed to be seen slurping on the red or green bottle..,,, Even thou you got half as much and paid virtually the same.
    Oh yeah sorry it tastes extra tasty from the bottle i guess ;):rolleyes:

He he he.. What ya drinkin now rich boiiiiiiiiii:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Did anyone mention that twat that couldnt drink beer on draught but needed to be seen slurping on the red or green bottle..,,, Even thou you got half as much and paid virtually the same.
    Oh yeah sorry it tastes extra tasty from the bottle i guess ;):rolleyes:

He he he.. What ya drinkin now rich boiiiiiiiiii:rolleyes:

You go drinking in pubs? Well laaaa-di-dah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Begrudgery is the new snobbery..

Gloatery (I made up a new word), is the new begrudgery.

And the one-upmanship has changed from "I have a bigger car than him", to "He thought he was better than me but now he is suffering, but me, I saw it coming. I'm better than him. Ha."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Brown Thomas bags. The bigger, the better and preferably in both hands.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

God I miss those days :(

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Gloatery (I made up a new word), is the new begrudgery.

And the one-upmanship has changed from "I have a bigger car than him", to "He thought he was better than me but now he is suffering, but me, I saw it coming. I'm better than him. Ha."

Definition of Gloatery: Superiority complex Irish people developed for being thrifty /poor during the Celtic tiger

For example: Ha, Ha, all those people who bought trousers and electric kettles during the celtic tiger...what morons:D. I wore the same trousers for the whole time and drank water from a jam jar, and look at them now, they're as broke as I am:rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Definition of Gloatery: Superiority complex Irish people developed for being thrifty /poor during the Celtic tiger

For example: Ha, Ha, all those people who bought trousers and electric kettles during the celtic tiger...what morons:D. I wore the same trousers for the whole time and drank water from a jam jar, and look at them now, they're as broke as I am:rolleyes::D

I really thought I made that word up. Sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

FIGJAM

Fcuk I'm grand, Just ask me!

Advertisement