Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Overseas holiday homes

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

zerks wrote: »
    The intolerable attitude that a house wasn't a home-it was an "investment".

A friend of mine said that to me when I asked about their new house,I felt like puking on them,guess what:they are still living in it & it's worth less than half what it cost.

Another was the phenomenon of Super Sweet 16 birthday parties where no expense was spared for selfish,spoilt brats who threw tantrums when Daddy bought them the wrong coloured Mini Cooper or Merc.

Holy feck. I'd take that overindulgent father and the fat weak mother with the face a frog wouldn't kiss and beat them with sticks for creating such a little monster. I feel very sorry for the boy, it was not his mistake that someone turned him into a picture-book spoilt brat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The hottub with your SSIA...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Several full length mirrors in the bathroom so you could fap furiously over your wet glistening body while thinking how rich and awesome you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

zerks wrote: »
    The intolerable attitude that a house wasn't a home-it was an "investment".

A friend of mine said that to me when I asked about their new house,I felt like puking on them,guess what:they are still living in it & it's worth less than half what it cost.

Another was the phenomenon of Super Sweet 16 birthday parties where no expense was spared for selfish,spoilt brats who threw tantrums when Daddy bought them the wrong coloured Mini Cooper or Merc.

Bumped into him on the Luas the other day ! "Fergal my auld flower" i was heard to exclaim!:o:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Saw this in a thread entitled something like 'relics from the celtic tiger' or somesuch. Not a must-have item but made me laugh:

High vis jackets everywhere - even in night clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Underfloor heating :confused:
    Next people will be saying a kettle is a luxury of the celtic tiger. Why can't we just heat a pot of water over the fire? Nooooo, we thought we were above that and got fancy electric kettles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Designer bed linen. I once went shopping with a friend and she dropped 200 euros on a duver cover :eek:

A pace modem and an account with Indigo.

Celtic Tiger for me was like watching toddlers getting a free run of an ice-cream shop. People buying huge TVs without looking at price tags. The same people coming into an apartment and buying it without having a good look at the quality.
    For a short time we rented an apartment in a complex where walls were paper-thin, mould was building all around the walls because the heating was crap and there was no ventilation and I witnessed people coming into an apartment next to us which was for sale and putting money on the table without actually having a good look at the quality.
    Arrogance and the feeling that the world is yours to do whatever you can do with it. Jobs which are below you, like totally, because even though you were a school drop-out, making sandwiches in O'Briens is for the Poles and the likes.
    People smirking at you when you were leaving Lidl and calling you a fecking poor foreigner.
    Samurai swords must have been really popular because I've heard of so many people who bought them as a decoration. They wouldn't even know anything about the samurai traditions except for watching some C-rated bad martial movies but hey, it was in.
    Studying law or working in construction were the must-have occupations or so I gathered from discussions with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Oakley sunglasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

haminka wrote: »
    People smirking at you when you were leaving Lidl and calling you a fecking poor foreigner.

Did you not bring in your M&S bag to lidl, so you could pretend you have just come straight from there?:p

micropig wrote: »
    Did you not bring in your M&S bag to lidl, so you could pretend you have just come straight from there?:p

No, I never saw any point in that, I shopped in Lidl since it opened and was glad to spend less - not because I needed it but because I simply couldn't understand why someone wants to pay for clearly overpriced products ;)

haminka wrote: »
    No, I never saw any point in that, I shopped in Lidl since it opened and was glad to spend less - not because I needed it but because I simply couldn't understand why someone wants to pay for clearly overpriced products ;)

Oh, I see you're a fecking poor foreigner*:rolleyes::p:D

*or someone with common sense:D

micropig wrote: »
    Oh, I see you're a fecking poor foreigner*:rolleyes::p:D

*or someone with common sense:D

FPR is my middle name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A Fleshlight in every room.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

Great big chandaliers in the hallway. And a swirly staircase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Health insurance! Remember when EVERYONE had to have it! Fancy feckers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Did anyone mentioned "Range Roonies"? Now that was an must have for any self respecting tiger/tigress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Amazing the amount of 20 20 hindsight in this thread..

• Advertisement

Squ wrote: »
    Amazing the amount of 20 20 hindsight in this thread..

If people are able to take the Celtic Tiger craze as lessons learned for the next time the economy is going upwards (which inevitably will happen), it will be for the best.
    Not everyone will but there is a slight chance many had their lesson in humility.

Range rover best thing i ever got ! the amount of people that assume im rich!

Ah yes smirking at the jealous peeps in the traffic knowing im all that.

My god you can really pull some skirt with it too:o

WOOO

If only they knew the truth :eek:

Range rover best thing i ever got ! the amount of people that assume im rich!

Ah yes smirking at the jealous peeps in the traffic knowing im all that.

My god you can really pull some skirt with it too:o

WOOO

If only they knew the truth :eek:

Hope you can park it properly:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Recruitment consultants that actually had real jobs for you to apply for.

Nowadays its just fake jobs advertised so they can have a copy of your CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

€300 for a round of Golf. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

3 credit cards maxed to the tits.. Still paying off one of them 3 years later.
    Still get shudders thinking what could have been if i had of taken that Shylocks from ptsb's money for a mortgage.. He rang me out of the blue in 2006 cause i was saving 50 a week with them..
    I was a second year apprentice on 120 a week, he told me that disnt matter as i could rent out the spare room..

Squ wrote: »
    3 credit cards maxed to the tits.. Still paying off one of them 3 years later.
    Still get shudders thinking what could have been if i had of taken that Shylocks from ptsb's money for a mortgage.. He rang me out of the blue in 2006 cause i was saving 50 a week with them..
    I was a second year apprentice on 120 a week, he told me that disnt matter as i could rent out the spare room..

lol Shylock LOL i like it :D

And yes you could be renting that spare room to Shylock himself lol !

€10 Yokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

To a certain type of middle class woman these were a necessity.
    An expensive blonde hair cut/colour every 2 weeks.
    An expensive pair of sunglasses.
    An expensive 4 wheel drive.
    An expensive mobile phone to shout into while taking a roundabout and wearing your sunglasses atop your head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Similar to hi viz jackets - id badges around the neck! For some reason people didn't take them off when away from work, even in the pub sometimes

Advertisement