Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic Tiger must-have items

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

A guy i know bought 1, he lived in athlone, hats off to that salesman!!

Athlone has one of the largest lakes in the country - Lough Ree. It has great facilities for launching boats and Jet Skis.

Jet Skis dont only float on saltwater :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Restaurants putting the word "gourmet" in front of any old stodge and charging double for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Trips to New york :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Restaurants putting the word "gourmet" in front of any old stodge and charging double for it.

Ha ha, yeah that Goumet Burger place makes me laugh. They stick it on a plate, give you a knife and fork for your chips (sorry, fries) and charge you megabucks. It's still a burger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

kincsem wrote: »
    Balloons tied to gates advertising to poor people that the little prince / princess was celebrating. Usually guests were those met at "activities" like ballet, piano, modern dance, soccer, swimming.

It's not like they were filled with Helium. They were cheap €1 a pack air filled, tied with string to show parents where the party with hand made rice krispie squares and pass-the-parcel was on

DVD's and CD's costing €20. I can't believe I wasted so much money on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

dvcireland wrote: »
    Kids called Josh in Avoca Handweavers with their mother.

"....do you want green or red pesto on your paninni Josh?....."
    Josh does modern dance and non-contact rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭tonyangelino

Lads at the bar(so everyone can see them) in blue( comfort ) jeans,brown belt with shirt tucked in.The shirt was usually pinstripe with a white collar or at least twotone. Also overweight by a stone and usually with a shiny slap head. They normally left that poxy pick up toyota (property developer ****e) car outside and sure the manager knows them so it will be grand...

aghhhh I really hate that type!

oh and tag rugby-nerds to meet women sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

lividduck wrote: »
    An intolerant, greedy and superior attitute!

we have a winner. close the thread.!!! (in a nutshell in one sentence,well said)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Parents that would camp out overnight prior to the launch of yet another development to pay your deposit so you could go to work to pay for it.
    Then you would see them on the news that evening being given breakfast by the developer (on your 50'' plasma screen).

Those same unfortunates are now probably paying a large portion of your mortgage every month;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Lads at the bar(so everyone can see them) in blue( comfort ) jeans,brown belt with shirt tucked in.The shirt was usually pinstripe with a white collar or at least twotone. Also overweight by a stone and usually with a shiny slap head. They normally left that poxy pick up toyota (property developer ****e) car outside and sure the manager knows them so it will be grand...

aghhhh I really hate that type!

oh and tag rugby-nerds to meet women sport
    said bar owners/managers purchasing bits of football memorabilia, like the old big screen fron Arsenal's old ground whilst charging €20 for a platter of stuffed olives ;)

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

minor celebrities describing themselves as "novelist", "author" or "playwright" after writing one book or play

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The intolerable attitude that a house wasn't a home-it was an "investment".

A friend of mine said that to me when I asked about their new house,I felt like puking on them,guess what:they are still living in it & it's worth less than half what it cost.

Another was the phenomenon of Super Sweet 16 birthday parties where no expense was spared for selfish,spoilt brats who threw tantrums when Daddy bought them the wrong coloured Mini Cooper or Merc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

If things do eventually get better...we now know that bars and restaurants and other shops (and builders) will never get away with ripping us off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

If things do eventually get better...we now know that bars and restaurants and other shops (and builders) will never get away with ripping us off again.

Buddy this is ireland.... rest assured when things finally recover the next generation of developers et al will be lined up ready to rip us off all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

staircase from the Titanic
    kitchen utensil sets big enough for a restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

twinytwo wrote: »
    Buddy this is ireland.... rest assured when things finally recover the next generation of developers et al will be lined up ready to rip us off all over again.

Plus, we might be getting a slightly better deal in some places, but not large enough to say we're not currently being ridden (people still eat at a packed-out O'Brien's where I live, amazingly).
    The general public still think the boom-prices were "normal", that they should still be paid as much as they were back then, and that house prices are a "steal" at the moment.
    Pyoooooooooor thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

twinytwo wrote: »

Safe in the knowledge that their gombeen cronies running the country will implement a means where they will avoid becoming humiliated and broke should the bubble burst. might call it something strange like, NAMA2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

kincsem wrote: »
    Balloons tied to gates advertising to poor people that the little prince / princess was celebrating. Usually guests were those met at "activities" like ballet, piano, modern dance, soccer, swimming.

Ah now, hold on. I agree with most thing on here, but balloons tied to gates?:confused:
    They're just so people can find the house easier! They're not trying to piss off "poor people" because only rich people's kids have birthday partys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mielzi

Racehorses. Everyone fecking had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 slapstick

a genius like bertie to orchestrate the whole thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Roqueandrolle.

Jobs. I hear they were popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ah now, hold on. I agree with most thing on here, but balloons tied to gates?:confused:
    They're just so people can find the house easier! They're not trying to piss off "poor people" because only rich people's kids have birthday partys!

Might be more a rural hatred thing as we all know were everyone lives, we don't need balloons to find it.

If we don't know them, the bouncing castle in the front garden will lead us to you. Loved it when it fecking rained which given the odds.....................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

snowboards.
    Mountain bikes that cost more than a small car.
    a weekend away every 5-6 weeks. in a year period in 2008-09, I was in gothenburg, liverpool, barcelona, lyon, london, luxembourg, new york, thailand, abu dhabi...
    spilling more drink on a weekend than youd drink now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

American-style fridges

Those "island" counter-tops in the kitchen

Electric gates for your 3 bed semi detached house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

grindle wrote: »
    Plus, we might be getting a slightly better deal in some places, but not large enough to say we're not currently being ridden (people still eat at a packed-out O'Brien's where I live, amazingly).
    The general public still think the boom-prices were "normal", that they should still be paid as much as they were back then, and that house prices are a "steal" at the moment.
    Pyoooooooooor thick.

What you describe is what's known in behavioural economics as "Anchoring bias".

Celtic-tiger prices/wages were "anchored" into people's minds, so that now everything is thought of relative to the anchor amounts.

It's a common heuristic among humans, and the reason why people lose so much when making investments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

VHI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

coonecb1 wrote: »
    American-style fridges

Those "island" counter-tops in the kitchen

Electric gates for your 3 bed semi detached house

Nothing wrong with these. More storage space. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The sudden "Superiority Complex" every douchbag had. Oh you earn less than €50k a year?? I earn €120k, have 5 foreign holidays each year, 2 Range Rovers, 3 houses and an apartment in Turkey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Solar panel systems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Wood pellet burners and underfloor heating
    I really hate underfloor heating

Advertisement