Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Didn't realise you could do a lot in app inventor. Had beta access (don't know if its still in beta) and never used it. Had a look but looked more complicating then coding so just left it. I will have to have another look

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

I'v just started to distribute a BETA app. for Staff in mobile phone retail stores where you simply select what manufacturer you wish to real with and your area. The app then loads your local rep's e-mail address & contact number along with the list of their handsets on GSM arena.

All in all its like a giant business card except this time you don't have to worry about loosing the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

foto joe wrote: »
    Done.. ;) Here's a delivered tracking number to try it out: RL236290588IE

I haven't had other tracking numbers to try it out so if anyone wants to PM me a tracking number that's mid-transit that'd be great! :) I might need to reduce the main status text a bit.

Scan to download;
    img.php?s=6&d=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FmMXq8Z

I'll get it up as a free app on the Market when I get a chance, having problems with the software to convert it for the market at the moment.

If you think there'd be demand for a more functional version that'll search a range of tracking numbers, or a selection of a few... let me know or open a new thread. I'd be happy to put that together as a cheap app.
    Nice work! Made a new thread on it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

foto joe wrote: »
    Built in App Inventor so no huge coding involved... just an awful lot of logic blocks! :p The AnPost one does have PHP to get the external data and it functions as a "TinyWebDB" app inventor component.

I've developed with the SDK in eclipse too but want to see how far I can push the app inventor. Now with the likes of TinyWebDB allowing external data I think it has some nice potential for fast development non-complex apps. That AnPost app actually came together in less than half an hour.

I've been considering picking a project beyond the app inventor. Use the app inventor to bring it as far as I can really quickly, then unpack the apk file and take up the work in Eclipse. Not sure if this is possible but I'd imagine it should be.

Foto Joe, can you point any good tutorial or documentation on how to use php and a TinyWebDB to read data from a website and bring it into an app?
    Have an idea for an app and want to use TinyWebDB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Foto Joe, can you point any good tutorial or documentation on how to use php and a TinyWebDB to read data from a website and bring it into an app?
    Have an idea for an app and want to use TinyWebDB.

http://appinventorapi.com/program-an-api-php/

This thread's getting pulled off topic, maybe start a new topic to discuss app inventor? Mods could delete or move the last few posts here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

An optimised for mobile version of argos.ie could be handy if it was done properly? Anyone think they are up for that challenge?:D

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    An optimised for mobile version of argos.ie could be handy if it was done properly? Anyone think they are up for that challenge?:D

Certainly, although you would need buy-in from Argos before doing so. There is not much point putting in all of that effort just to have them quash it. You'd also need a server in the middle do do the scraping, otherwise you'd be downloading the same amount of data for what looks like a mobile experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Would love to see an app for us Coeliacs, that when we go shopping we could scan the bar code and it would give gluten information or somehow linked to the Coeliac database. Or even the Coeliac handbook in an app format....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Irish driver theory test app

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Irish driver theory test app

Thought about this awhile back, couldn't get permission to do it.
    Not sure what legal ramifications explaining what 'this hand signal means'
    can really be... but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle even if the market is there.

• Advertisement

wtd2008 wrote: »
    Would love to see an app for us Coeliacs, that when we go shopping we could scan the bar code and it would give gluten information or somehow linked to the Coeliac database. Or even the Coeliac handbook in an app format....

This sounds really good, I'd love to give it a shot. Could you give me some links or where to get my hands on one of these hand books?

ianwalsh2 wrote: »
    I know this is going back a while in the thread but I reckon this would be a handy app. Unfortunately I know nothing about making apps, but it sounds like it should be relatively straight forward? You could have 2 boxes for each team - one for goals and one for points. Tap the appropriate box to add a point/goal and it's automatically able to add up the total scores. You could also have a stopwatch or a countdown timer on the screen to see how long is left in the half.

I wonder has something like it been developed for basketball which included player fouls, timeouts etc. Probably too much info for a smartphone screen but would work well on a tablet.

Been thinking about something like this for awhile, technically you could create a big mesh network, whereby one guy turns his hotspot on, and everyone connects to it, everytime someone updates .. for say a foul, or ten minutes to go, the app pops up a message. Or create a giant mesh network with bluetooth, not even sure if it's possible, but I'm willing to bet it is ;D. This quite a big one, so I'm gonna shelve it until after exams ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

jetpack101 wrote: »
    For example LOC8 still have no app for Android. My phone comes with a built in SatNav so I don't have to go buy one..... I do if I want to use LOC8?????

One Touch Solutions who licensed Loc8 Code capability for the Iphone App point8 are also building an Android version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

garydubh wrote: »
    One Touch Solutions who licensed Loc8 Code capability for the Iphone App point8 are also building an Android version

A little bit more information other then "Android version currently under development" would go a long way.

It would be nice to see the progress on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

would love it if someone made a football score centre app akin to that of the iphone SkySports score centre, with a home screen widget.
    I currently use Soccer Scores, but it could be better.

Also, I haven't seen a decent news aggregator for android, buzz box looked ok but was removed by Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

This app was working fine on my Samsung Galaxy but no more.

I can still log on to download and update playlists onto the phone ( which I compiled on Grooveshark/PC) - but when I try to play anything is just hangs (loading).

Playback on PC is fine.

Any fixes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Yay - got a fix here
    go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, find TinyShark and click "Clear cache".

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I've got an idea for a loyalty card system for alchohol. Would there be any interest in this?

Now, even if there was, there's still the massive issue of getting retailers and drinks companies on board.

Ice Cold Index is pretty much my only argument so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Sorry if it was previously mentioned but a Tesco or dunnes online shopping app would be handy!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 bluestarweb

i wouldn't mind turning my hand to the barcode scanner, are there apps that do this yet? what ingredients would needed to be filtered out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Hi,

I know there are two bar code scanners "Shop Savvy" and one just called "BarCode Scanner" from the Android Store.

The *main* thing that would need to be filtered for a coeliac diet is anything that contains gluten. This is found in a wide range of crops such as wheat, barley and rye. It really would be great to have an app that would allow you to scan the product and see if it is Coeliac friendly or not without having to constantly having to read the small print of ingredients or checking the Coeliac handbook.

There is more information available here,

http://www.coeliac.ie/coeliac_disease

W.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 bluestarweb

yeah, it would mostly be a case of finding ingredients online for given product to use for comparison, given this it would be simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭desiredbard

Hey folks
    Me and a good friend are going to develop an android app for an Irish audience (he's the guy who developed dublinbikes2go and dublinbus2go and the Dublin bus Layar, and a boardsie though I can't remember his username). I thought I would put it to this forum: What android apps would be welcome in Ireland?

Someone mentioned GAA scores before but there's no up to date source of these apparently. Public transport is mostly covered. I think it might be useful to highlight needed apps in a general sense in case anyone comes across this.

I haven't explored the App Store so I don't really know what iTunes has to offer to Ireland.

A general idea is the sort of thing you can get on the web but is fiddly to use on a phone - to access information or share, and especially the sort of information that's useful "on the go".

A Cocoon Childcare Android app
    That lets parents on the fly check on their dropped of little nemisses via their android phones
    (Cocoon is that creche branch that allows parents to view their kids via webcams present in the various rooms)
    I for one would even buy an app like that would allow me to use my 3g connection for this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

A Cocoon Childcare Android app
    That lets parents on the fly check on their dropped of little nemisses via their android phones
    (Cocoon is that creche branch that allows parents to view their kids via webcams present in the various rooms)
    I for one would even buy an app like that would allow me to use my 3g connection for this

You'd have to get permission from Cocoon I'd imagine?

Hi,

I know there are two bar code scanners "Shop Savvy" and one just called "BarCode Scanner" from the Android Store.

The *main* thing that would need to be filtered for a coeliac diet is anything that contains gluten. This is found in a wide range of crops such as wheat, barley and rye. It really would be great to have an app that would allow you to scan the product and see if it is Coeliac friendly or not without having to constantly having to read the small print of ingredients or checking the Coeliac handbook.

There is more information available here,

http://www.coeliac.ie/coeliac_disease

W.

Is there a database of foods that contain gluten by any chance?

Bumping this as there was some great ideas in it and I'm interested to know if people have found apps for these ideas or indeed if people have ideas for new apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Here's an idea

An M50 toll app.

You simply enter your car registration number and pay your toll

Here's an idea

An M50 toll app.

You simply enter your car registration number and pay your toll

Good idea but since its secure credit card info its over HTTPS and I guess EFlow's permission and certs would be required, might be worth firing off an email to them anyway to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

here's another one.

a blood doner app.

you can only give blood every 90 days, so maybe an app that ties in with your calendar that lets you know its been 90 days since you last gave blood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've been thinking about developing an app for prospective house buyers/renters. Basic idea is that you stick in what your looking for (price, location, no. of rooms) etc and it would look up Daft and MyHome on a daily basis notifying you of newly added properties and changes to properties that aren't new but meet your criteria. Could of done with it when I was looking for somewhere to rent myself. Got sick of logging onto to Daft every day and seeing the same properties over and over again, a lot of which I knew were gone but estate agents leave up for months anyway!

Advertisement