Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

other idea:

App for farmers and other rural-based workers to check animal stocks without driving or walking the fields. If animals have microchips use the geo features to automatically show, count and locate sheep, cattle, etc.

If the count was down, one was missing. If one was on somebody else's land or over a cliff, you could act.

You'd be at the mercy of Ireland's infrastructure providers though.

RISE!

Stating the obvious, but think about what apps people coming INTO Ireland might need and whether these apps could be exported. Let's not see English-language only apps. Make them multilingual.

Why aren't tourism Ireland pushing multlingual apps in Europe for finding holidays, etc, here?

Watch out for a translation solution from these guys soon: www.tethras.com

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

I would like to see dublin bikes app that would tell you the availability of bikes at stations over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There is an app for Dublin bikes. It's called veloid and is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

uvox wrote: »
    other idea:

App for farmers and other rural-based workers to check animal stocks without driving or walking the fields. If animals have microchips use the geo features to automatically show, count and locate sheep, cattle, etc.

If the count was down, one was missing. If one was on somebody else's land or over a cliff, you could act.

You'd be at the mercy of Ireland's infrastructure providers though.

RISE!

How would you know if they had mastitis or pink eye or a broken foot or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How would you know if they had mastitis or pink eye or a broken foot or something?

you'd still need to check, but if you were able to set up a perimeter (based on your land owning or potential hazzards) you could look at setting up notification when an animal strayed over that area and act more quickly than you normally would be able to.

Good idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Facebook status update type thing?

JustinOval wrote: »
    I'm not sure that cows are too good with touch screens.

Though large numbers of sheep clearly are.

The idea would just be a headcount thing really. Injured sheep and cattle tend to be easy to spot, but walking cliffs and fields in Wicklow looking for those last 2 or 3 cows on a January evening I can tell you I would have been glad of the app!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

That actually sounds like it'd be a really useful app but correct me if I'm wrong - dont the chips used in animals require a scanner to be run over them? What I mean is they wouldnt be capable of transmitting their position right? I suppose you could get transmittable tags in bulk but they’d still cost a fortune and you have the problem of keeping them powered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I would love a radio app of all the Irish stations. And maybe access to podcasts. Some great ideas on here though.

How about an innovation app? An app that rates and evaluates ideas according to disruptive potential, game-changer, duh factor, etc.? Some kind of visual display of the relative merits of ideas, rankings, maybe collaborative input from other innovators (ratings?) plus ability to submit ideas to county enteprise boards, enterprise ireland, VCs and so on. The app would need to use parameters localized for the Irish market - competitive, environmental, financial, technical, and so on.

You could call it "Going Forward"

JohnK wrote: »
    That actually sounds like it'd be a really useful app but correct me if I'm wrong - dont the chips used in animals require a scanner to be run over them? What I mean is they wouldnt be capable of transmitting their position right? I suppose you could get transmittable tags in bulk but they’d still cost a fortune and you have the problem of keeping them powered.

Don't think RFID is that expensive and it's already been mooted:

http://www.meattradenewsdaily.co.uk/news/040510/ireland___eid_sheep_ear_tags_.aspx

Regardless, you could start with the more expensive beasts (which should be tagged anyway).

uvox wrote: »
    How about an innovation app? An app that rates and evaluates ideas according to disruptive potential, game-changer, duh factor, etc.? Some kind of visual display of the relative merits of ideas, rankings, maybe collaborative input from other innovators (ratings?) plus ability to submit ideas to county enteprise boards, enterprise ireland, VCs and so on. The app would need to use parameters localized for the Irish market - competitive, environmental, financial, technical, and so on.

You could call it "Going Forward"
    Are you talking about an app that does what this thread is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

A boards.ie app for easy viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

I cant find a good pollen count app for my asthma?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

@rushnaldo
    Seems odd alright!
    Surely somebody could take data from somewhere like here and make a nice simple pollen count app?
    I have no idea how to make apps, but I'd imagine it would be very simple to do something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Hey guys

I was having a look at this app

http://www.cyrket.com/p/android/com.profete162.mvforandroid/

It is a widget to show your remaining credit, Texts or data.

It currently only works on a Belgian network.

Is there anyway this can be done for meteor? or any of the other networks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

theres one for meteor called mobile account checker. Works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Ares wrote: »
    thanks for the tip, the web text works fine with that app but is it only for billpay customers? I'm on pay as you go and obviously the minutes data and texts are blank? I wonder is there any way of adding credit remaining into this app for payg customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

KAGY wrote: »
    A boards.ie app for easy viewing

That would be good. XDA have a great one for their forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Surely an online banking app would be very useful?

An app for Dublin bikes that doesnt use layar would be great. Its very hard on layar to see if your destination is full or empty.

Agreed. A native app would be way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Veloid does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Ares wrote: »
    Lately I've been looking at some of the permissions required for some apps.

Why would this one need to access "Your personal information - read contact data" and "Your messages - edit SMS or MMs, read SMS or MMS"

seems very strange...

mathew wrote: »
    Veloid does the trick

Thanks, seems to do the job

M450 wrote: »
    Lately I've been looking at some of the permissions required for some apps.

Why would this one need to access "Your personal information - read contact data" and "Your messages - edit SMS or MMs, read SMS or MMS"

seems very strange...

you can send webtexts from it too. Thats why it needs the above permissions. just press menu and webtext.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Don't know if its mentioned before, but a gaa livescore/news app would be a great inclusion to the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

JustinOval wrote: »

Moospace?

Advertisement