Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

Options

Comments

Some good ideas here, shame that a lot of them would have to be site-scraping. I wouldn't mind having a crack at one or two of them next though, perhaps the weather (tides / pollen) stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Don't know if its mentioned before, but a gaa livescore/news app would be a great inclusion to the market.
    I think this was said before but i think (don't quote me on this) that theres no reliable source for devs to get the scores from, except for the aertel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm in the process of developping an app that integrates webtext into a text messaging environment. Kind of like Cabbage meets Messaging. Basically, one app, that when you press send, checks if you have webtexts remaining, and if so, sends the message from there.

I'm on 3, so I'm starting there (I also believe this is the trickiest of the networks, as it is not covered by Cabbage). I have the URLs for direct login and direct sending of a message (ie
    http://webtext.three.ie/processLogin.jsp?mobile=#PHONE NUMBER#&pin=#PIN NUMBER#&serviceId=19088&originCountryPrefix=353
    http://webtext.three.ie/processSendMessage.jsp?command=send&group=&Msg1=#MESSAGE CONTENTS#&grpSTR=&ConSTR=&msisdn=#DESTINATION NUMBER#&country=353&NumMessages=

) but have no idea how to run them without opening the browser. Any ideas or know-how would be fantastic.

As it stands, the App does the sending and recieving of the messages, but I'm still looking to add the threads functionality from Messaging as well as to figure out how to bring up the contacts menu...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

tolosenc wrote: »
    I'm in the process of developping an app that integrates webtext into a text messaging environment. Kind of like Cabbage meets Messaging. Basically, one app, that when you press send, checks if you have webtexts remaining, and if so, sends the message from there.

I'm on 3, so I'm starting there (I also believe this is the trickiest of the networks, as it is not covered by Cabbage). I have the URLs for direct login and direct sending of a message (ie
    http://webtext.three.ie/processLogin.jsp?mobile=#PHONE NUMBER#&pin=#PIN NUMBER#&serviceId=19088&originCountryPrefix=353
    http://webtext.three.ie/processSendMessage.jsp?command=send&group=&Msg1=#MESSAGE CONTENTS#&grpSTR=&ConSTR=&msisdn=#DESTINATION NUMBER#&country=353&NumMessages=

) but have no idea how to run them without opening the browser. Any ideas or know-how would be fantastic.

As it stands, the App does the sending and recieving of the messages, but I'm still looking to add the threads functionality from Messaging as well as to figure out how to bring up the contacts menu...

Hi, cabbage does cover three and it's actually the easiest of the networks to do. I already have scripts for all the networks in php if you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Seeing as you can't log into eflow.ie account on the phone what about an app for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭seandalaiocht

How about an app which plays/links to streams from all the main irish radio stations.

I still haven't figured out a way of listening to the RTE Real Player/Windows media streams on my HTC desire. I can listen to newstalk's online player but have to keep the screen on my phone on which isn't very practical.

I know both newstalk and RTE have iphone apps but there is no easy way of listening to their streams on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

How about an app which plays/links to streams from all the main irish radio stations.

I still haven't figured out a way of listening to the RTE Real Player/Windows media streams on my HTC desire. I can listen to newstalk's online player but have to keep the screen on my phone on which isn't very practical.

I know both newstalk and RTE have iphone apps but there is no easy way of listening to their streams on Android.

Get radiotime, had loads of irish stations. Only came across one station that didn't work on it yet. It's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I have no skills as a programer but often think of ideas for apps...some are probably already apps..

I was thinking of an app that uses your gps to wake you up if you fall asleep on the bus or train the stop before you have to get off.....

Maybe an app that would recognize a car or house alarm that wakes you up in the middle of the night an then can play noise canceling sounds that silence the alarm...

An app for your car manual that more interactive and gives better information about fuel effence and maybe reminds you when you need a service maybe lets you take a photo of warning lights on the dash and tells you probable causes and lists the cheapest place to buy parts and accesories..

An app that lets you know when local events are coming up ...

An for all the local take away with menus,prices and phone numbers...

An app that you and your friends can sign up to that list the dvds you'd be willing to lend each other,it would also let you chat about the movie and keep a record of who has what.....someone has my 3rd season of "the wire":mad:

An app that tells you when your favorite tv/film actor or band is on the box or has a new movie coming out or is playing a gig ...

I have more but can't think right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Dub13 wrote: »
    What about a ATM locater...?nothing worse than spending 15 min in a Q on a busy sat night to then pop into a spar and see another unused ATM in the shop.Does my head in the amount of hidden ATM's in this country.I am sure the banks would provide the info free.
    Places Directory, by Google, I find it misses a few ATMs but otherwise great.
    I have another request...

Since your android knows where you are at all times, how about an app that alerts you when you are driving through one of the guards speed collision zones and warns you of the correct speed limit.

They are all listed here - http://garda.ie/Documents/User/List%20of%20Collision%20Prone%20Zones.pdf and judging from a news article in the independent a few weeks ago you could see private speed detection gatso vans parked randomly in these spots by October - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/private-speed-cameras-to-target-drivers-after-dark-2202024.html
    Trapster or Wikango for Garda speed traps maybe? I don't drive so no experience of either.

I'd like an app that shows where the Dublin buses are via their GPS trackers, it's not up and running yet but once it is, get that jazz on the Market! :)
    There's a thread on it somewhere on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Keith186 wrote: »
    Get radiotime, had loads of irish stations. Only came across one station that didn't work on it yet. It's pretty good.

Also tunewiki does some Irish stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

an An Post tracker app

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

The browser - it is a great little app.

But seriously people - use the browser half the apps requested are just webpages....

there are even apps/shortcuts to move the bookmark as a shortcut on your homescreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I want an OCR camera app that will scan car reg plates and display the info from cartell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

a fantasy premier league app would be handy (too many pages to read back to check if its been mentioned before)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

a fantasy premier league app would be handy (too many pages to read back to check if its been mentioned before)
    You know they have a mobile site? (I personally don't like it and prefer to use the full site)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

M450 wrote: »
    You know they have a mobile site? (I personally don't like it and prefer to use the full site)

im the same, hence thought for the app

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I searched the marketplace for browser. It isn't there
    The browser - it is a great little app.

But seriously people - use the browser half the apps requested are just webpages....

there are even apps/shortcuts to move the bookmark as a shortcut on your homescreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

sealgaire wrote: »
    I searched the marketplace for browser. It isn't there

The browser is already built into Android, it's what you view web pages with.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Just installed TV Guide - Ireland, by: Guillaume Vaudaux-Ruth.
    Simple, but effective.
    There's also now an official Sky+ app, which is basically a 7-day TV guide (including a "now and next" view) that includes all the channels you can get on Sky... but sadly not in the grid format that I personally find the most useful.

Being a Sky app, in "Republic of Ireland" mode you don't get to see the ITV channels, but you can switch it into "UK" mode for those, along with the BBC regional channels other than BBC NI.

If you're a Sky+ subscriber it allows you to Remote Record, too.

(EDIT: Duh, have just realised that you get a grid view if you view it in landscape mode... sure I tried that before and it didn't do anything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

draffodx wrote: »
    I've already looked into this and contacted the Lotto's IT department about it.

It's impossible to do without access to the Lotto's secure database, the barcode on the ticket only contains a pointer to a position in the database where the info is held.

And the general public dont have access as it would be pretty easy to "win" the lotto then ;)

An official app from the Lotto is on the way including scanning for iPhone and Android anyway

has anyone heard if there has been any movement on this?

Being able to scan the barcode with the phone camera to check your results would be freaking excellent. Been more than a few months now, so I wonder if they are close to finishing (or actually working on) an android app to do this.

• Advertisement

Being able to scan the barcode with the phone camera to check your results would be freaking excellent.
    Certainly would've been a few months ago, but less so now that you can play online and have it tell you whether you've won anything or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

calum wrote: »
    Certainly would've been a few months ago, but less so now that you can play online and have it tell you whether you've won anything or not :)
    I did not know that. excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

has anyone heard if there has been any movement on this?

Being able to scan the barcode with the phone camera to check your results would be freaking excellent. Been more than a few months now, so I wonder if they are close to finishing (or actually working on) an android app to do this.

I haven't heard anything, will try to dig out the email and ask them.

Can you use laser!?

draffodx wrote: »
    Can you use laser!?
    No, only credit cards at the moment, unfortunately. And they need you to send a copy of photo ID to activate your account, which is a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No, only credit cards at the moment, unfortunately. And they need you to send a copy of photo ID to activate your account, which is a bit of a pain.

Ah well, no good to me then

On the note of App ideas for Ireland, I have been working on Android for over a year now and I am beginning to get some free time in the even so if anyone has any ideas for good apps send them my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 obiegold

An app that makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

How about an entertainment app? Like gigs and events, exhibitions etc. (I assume there isn't one.)

Entertainment.ie
    Awesome apps for gigs and wats going on in ur area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

obiegold wrote: »
    Entertainment.ie
    Awesome apps for gigs and wats going on in ur area

Awesome except 'Here and Now' crashes on the Samsung Galaxy S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Also tunewiki does some Irish stations
    Tunein radio does pretty much every station also. Great little app.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

been looking for exactly this too...i rmean an app for tidal times around the irish coast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Is there an rte player app yet, or a tv3 catchy? I think iphone has a tv3 app. If they exist for android can someone pointed to them? If no, does anyone with the skills fancy the challenge?

Advertisement