Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AnPost android app

Options
  • 14-05-2011 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

Foto Joe has very kindly put together an app to track your registered anPost mail.

As this is the first release there may be a few bugs so be sure and report them here and I'm sure he'll get on fixing them as soon as possible. He is also planning on putting together a version together that can track one, numerous or within a range of numbers. What other features would you like to see?

begin.pngtrack_1.png

Download here: http://bit.ly/mMXq8Z or

scan this:
    img.php?s=6&d=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FmMXq8Z

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Not working with my tracking number: AZ751261097IE, getting a not found message.

Possible new features?
    Postage calculator with the info being pulled from here.

Progress notifications - the app could check back at set intervals of 15mins,30mins,1hour etc. and if any progress has been made a message could be displayed in the notification bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Is this an app inventor app?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Not working with my tracking number: AZ751261097IE, getting a not found message.

Possible new features?

Progress notifications - the app could check back at set intervals of 15mins,30mins,1hour etc. and if any progress has been made a message could be displayed in the notification bar.

Assuming that's an Amazon package? I've never managed to track one with An Post so it's not the app at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Working fine for me.

Well done. A much needed app.

But its working fine when you input it to the website...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Working fine for me.

Well done. A much needed app.

Not needed, it just replicates what the website does.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

srsly78 wrote: »

Optimised for a mobile device.

Maybe for you but it uses less data so that's always a bonus plus if he introduces the new notifications feature I mentioned it will be much more useful than the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

draffodx wrote: »
    Optimised for a mobile device.

Yes, it might be useful for people that have older devices. It's important for people to know that you don't actually "need an app" for most things tho, especially on android.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Good to see this app Its something Ive been looking for recently. Would be even better if something like this website could be incorporated - http://www.track-trace.com/post

It has a very extensive list of delivery agents so would be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yes, it might be useful for people that have older devices. It's important for people to know that you don't actually "need an app" for most things tho, especially on android.

I NEED it.

Stop being a spoil sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I need an app to block pointless, stupid posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Relax guys before someone needs a little holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Fair point, but to have just the information you need with everything else stripped away is convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Very handy app, Nice one.

But its working fine when you input it to the website...

I actually have a full engine for this anPost app on Android, I just never hooked it up to a UI, the reason that AZ751261097IE isn't working is because the data comes back in a slightly different format for each case (In Depot, On way to customer, Delivered, etc...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Out on mobile, will reply to thread proper tonight or tomorrow. The reason that number fails is there is an extra "Reason" column to explain a failed delivery I'd say. Will correct for this.

Possible new features?

That's fixed now, you'll need to download the updated app for it to work right;
    img.php?s=6&d=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FmMXq8Z

devicekk.png

Don't think I'll add the postage calculator, keep it for just tracking.

mooneyd wrote: »
    Is this an app inventor app?

Yeah it is, playing around with a php api through the tinywebdb component.
    eireal wrote: »
    Good to see this app Its something Ive been looking for recently. Would be even better if something like this website could be incorporated - http://www.track-trace.com/post

It has a very extensive list of delivery agents so would be excellent.

Had a look at that site but it just links into all the national sites, doesn't pull the data itself so there's no consistency. Would have to do a separate job for each country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

nice looking app, have nothing to track so havent installed it yet, but does it scan barcodes and save them?
    so you can follow a package you have sent for example?

I was going to do barcode scanning but checked the only registered post receipt I have and there's no barcode. Do you get something with parcels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

How about an option to track & save multiple items like a notepade within the app that can save your multiple tracking numbers and by hitting each number brings up the details?

foto joe wrote: »
    I was going to do barcode scanning but checked the only registered post receipt I have and there's no barcode. Do you get something with parcels?
    maybe it goes on the envelope, ill see what if i have one around

subway wrote: »
    maybe it goes on the envelope, ill see what if i have one around

It does, but you'd have to scan and store it before posting.

It does, but you'd have to scan and store it before posting.
    thats what i was suggesting :)

subway wrote: »
    thats what i was suggesting :)

Of course, I was just checking. :D

foto joe wrote: »
    Yeah it is, playing around with a php api through the tinywebdb component.

What the flip! What does the php api involve? Here's me using the full sdk and parsing HTML manually to get the data!

What the flip! What does the php api involve? Here's me using the full sdk and parsing HTML manually to get the data!

What are you using to parse the HTML? ..if you dont mind me asking?

What are you using to parse the HTML? ..if you dont mind me asking?

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/text/Html.html#fromHtml%28java.lang.String%29

Hmm, interesting. I'm only getting into the SDK now and was looking at jsoup to grab the bits I want..

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hmm, interesting. I'm only getting into the SDK now and was looking at jsoup to grab the bits I want..

Cheers.

Jsoup or tagSoup may be better, I haven't had time to look into them, the HTML parser in Android simply returns all the text as readable (strips the html) in an array of lines. So for the post app the data comes back on array line 26 for a delivered package but comes back on array line 28 for one in the Depot.

So its not great. Let me know if jSoup or tagSoup are any better.

Advertisement