Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've been thinking about developing an app for prospective house buyers/renters. Basic idea is that you stick in what your looking for (price, location, no. of rooms) etc and it would look up Daft and MyHome on a daily basis notifying you of newly added properties and changes to properties that aren't new but meet your criteria. Could of done with it when I was looking for somewhere to rent myself. Got sick of logging onto to Daft every day and seeing the same properties over and over again, a lot of which I knew were gone but estate agents leave up for months anyway!

Interesting idea, sounds like a lot of work though, do Daft or MyHome provide any openData API's to work with that could make things easier to do?

If not have you contacted them to see if you can scrape their sites and create your own XML or JSON feed from the results? That would make things easier.

The app would come in very handy for me too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I think Daft have an app but don't know it's capabilities

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

draffodx wrote: »
    Interesting idea, sounds like a lot of work though, do Daft or MyHome provide any openData API's to work with that could make things easier to do?

If not have you contacted them to see if you can scrape their sites and create your own XML or JSON feed from the results? That would make things easier.

The app would come in very handy for me too by the way.

There is a firefox plugin called property bee which is amazingly useful when browsing daft. Basically you when you look at a property all the info on the page is saved to the property bee servers. If you are the first person who has property bee to look at the page then it tells you so, if someone else has looked at it then it tells you the first time it was saved. Finally and most importantly if there have been any changes to the page since it was first saved then it shows you a log of these changes. You can see houses that have started out at one price and decreased progressively over a number of months. Some people even reduce and increase asking prices over a number of months. Very handy when you are trying to negotiate a lower asking price if you know how low they have gone!

So what I would want to do is something similar to this except that all your browsing history would be stored locally on your smart phone and it would be mainly aimed at notifying you of new properties meeting your preset criteria. Nothing will be beat browsing with firefox/property bee though!

Sounds good, would definitely interest me anyway, get development started! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭irishgeo

here's another one.

a blood doner app.

you can only give blood every 90 days, so maybe an app that ties in with your calendar that lets you know its been 90 days since you last gave blood?

be interested in giving this a go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

irishgeo wrote: »
    here's another one.

a blood doner app.

you can only give blood every 90 days, so maybe an app that ties in with your calendar that lets you know its been 90 days since you last gave blood?

be interested in giving this a go?

It's simple. Coding should take a few hours. The real issue here is design.make it look good or it will be lost.

It's simple. Coding should take a few hours. The real issue here is design.make it look good or it will be lost.

Adding extra functionality to make it more useful than every 90 days would be good too :) Is someone having a stab at this?

Adding extra functionality to make it more useful than every 90 days would be good too :) Is someone having a stab at this?

What kind of extra functionality did you have in mind?
    I'm looking for an idea for a final year project at the moment and something like this might do but it has to be fairly complex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

is an app for blood donating not a bit unnecessary seeing as the IBTS send you a letter & a few texts in the week or so before they return to your area?

that said for extra functionality if it could use your gps location to pull up a list of the closest donation clinics that week with info on where/when etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Surf App-Best tide conditions etc

Irish Tourism App- Tells you places is of interest using gps-Newgrange nearby, Cliffs of Moher etc

Grocery App- an app that aggregates all specials from Lidl/Aldi.tesco/dunnes, tells you which place has the cheapest toilet rolls etc and where your nearest store is

Irish Constitution App- No idea what uses could be here, maybe searchable English/Irish versions????

Organ/Blood Donor app? Could you have installed a legally binding app in the event of an accident etc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I would love to see a Three Ireland Pre Pay Mobile app.

With a page where I see my balance. A 'Contact us' Page. Showing all their phone numbers. A Top-Up Credit page. And the 'Send Webtext' Page.

Mr Keek wrote: »
    I would love to see a Three Ireland Pre Pay Mobile app.

With a page where I see my balance. A 'Contact us' Page. Showing all their phone numbers. A Top-Up Credit page. And the 'Send Webtext' Page.

the phone/developer cant do that unless there is an API from the company ( i.e. Three) and the whole idea raises security issues. Its a good idea, but hard without carrier help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Pizza ordering app:
    Uses GPS location to send order to the Pizza Hut (Eatcity site, or possibly other places)
    So the frontend would be a swipe through pizza menu, then sides/drinks menu, hit the Order button and confirm your coordinates with a Google Maps marker (and enter house number for accuracy)
    Next select the "pay cash at door" option or "pay by credit card" option (at which point you sign in securely), press Submit button, get confirmation text or email.
    Boom, easy order pizza! :)

Obviously should only work if you're within a certain delivery radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Also integrate the other rules about donation, so that if you've been out of the country you can just enter the country you were in and the date you got back and it will automatically work out when you can donate next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

matrim wrote: »

Also integrate the other rules about donation, so that if you've been out of the country you can just enter the country you were in and the date you got back and it will automatically work out when you can donate next.

The Irish blood donors have an iPhone app, http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/giveblood.ie/id421354843?mt=8

What kind of extra functionality did you have in mind?
    I'm looking for an idea for a final year project at the moment and something like this might do but it has to be fairly complex
    KAGY wrote: »
    The Irish blood donors have an iPhone app, http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/giveblood.ie/id421354843?mt=8

That doesn't look like an official app but it gives you a good starting base, you'll need to be able to do the reminder thing built into the calender, scrap the site for the blood levels and also for the clinic data, you can also integrate with Google maps for clinics nearby.

That doesn't look like an official app but it gives you a good starting base, you'll need to be able to do the reminder thing built into the calender, scrap the site for the blood levels and also for the clinic data, you can also integrate with Google maps for clinics nearby.

I reckon I might have enough to work with for a blood donation app:

- Reminder following donation with no restrictions (90 day period)
    - Reminder following donation with restrictions (wait period varies)
    - A questionnaire based on the official blood donor questionnaire which will let you know if and when you can donate?
    - Scrape info from Blood Donation website such as current blood stock levels to let you know if your blood type is in demand at the moment
    - Locations of clinics near you in the near future.

Reminder built into the calendar should be easy enough, the location of nearby clinics would probably be fairly tricky though as I'm not sure how easily the info can be scraped/parsed from their calendar?

I reckon I might have enough to work with for a blood donation app:

- Reminder following donation with no restrictions (90 day period)
    - Reminder following donation with restrictions (wait period varies)
    - A questionnaire based on the official blood donor questionnaire which will let you know if and when you can donate?
    - Scrape info from Blood Donation website such as current blood stock levels to let you know if your blood type is in demand at the moment
    - Locations of clinics near you in the near future.

Reminder built into the calendar should be easy enough, the location of nearby clinics would probably be fairly tricky though as I'm not sure how easily the info can be scraped/parsed from their calendar?

Well, you can hardcode clinic locations, and update new ones with the app ( rule of thumb - no web service needed for items which change infrequently).

The hardest thing is getting the current blood stock levels, unless there is an API.

Well, you can hardcode clinic locations, and update new ones with the app ( rule of thumb - no web service needed for items which change infrequently).

The hardest thing is getting the current blood stock levels, unless there is an API.

The page for Current blood stock levels appears to be in plain HTML so should be easy enough. I googled it and there is quite a few examples of how to easily scrape info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

youngblood wrote: »

Irish Constitution App- No idea what uses could be here, maybe searchable English/Irish versions????

Already exists

• Advertisement

The page for Current blood stock levels appears to be in plain HTML so should be easy enough. I googled it and there is quite a few examples of how to easily scrape info.

JSoup is a god send when it comes to scraping HTML on the device, you could always do it via PHP instead and convert it to XML/JSON and send that to the device for parsing which would be more efficient but overkill if the data being scraped is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Irish Tides app by eoinzy, excellent, there is another but I couldnt get it to work properly

a1QGptj99J5HpJerPisqITW3OC1vyLaK3M8ooxng0pt_ILxf5Da6A6dacqsgWXh6WA

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eoinzy.irishtides&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lb2luenkuaXJpc2h0aWRlcyJd

bogman wrote: »

Looks nice.

Bump in case some people have some new ideas for Irish apps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

bogman wrote: »

Cheers! Glad you like it. :D

If you're a regular user, I can add any features you may want.

PS, I know that blue image on top is horrible, but I haven't got the artistic talent to come up with anything better!! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Seems like a clever attempt by the OP to gather lots of new app ideas for his app making friend. People post great new ideas they go and profit from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

A ParkByPhone / ParkMagic app would be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dmac2006

Hi, I created an app called Live Football on TV, it's a TV broadcasting guide for all soccer/football tv listings in Ireland & UK, across Europe and else where. Decided to charge a quid for it though as it was gaining popularity.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visualdesign.livefootballontv

Thinking of other sports ideas to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,375 ✭✭✭irishgeo

dmac2006 wrote: »
    Hi, I created an app called Live Football on TV, it's a TV broadcasting guide for all soccer/football tv listings in Ireland & UK, across Europe and else where. Decided to charge a quid for it though as it was gaining popularity.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visualdesign.livefootballontv

Thinking of other sports ideas to implement.

Rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Could anyone make a Thorntons recycling app that the would allow you top up, check credit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Could anyone make a Thorntons recycling app that the would allow you top up, check credit?

and notifications about change of pickup dates when there are special events like bank holidays / Xmas etc

Advertisement