Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android app ideas for Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Tinyshark, a hack of grooveshark, works quite well for streaming music. I would never do it on 3g though as it'll burn through my data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I like the app tv-guide ireland app but it is missing out on a few channels. Maybe someone would think of developing an app that pulls all the channel info from here? Handy for all the upc users out there. Also it was mentioned they are looking into remote recording. This could be a very nice app to do just that when it gets launched.

squared wrote: »
    I like the app tv-guide ireland app but it is missing out on a few channels. Maybe someone would think of developing an app that pulls all the channel info from here? Handy for all the upc users out there. Also it was mentioned they are looking into remote recording. This could be a very nice app to do just that when it gets launched.

would also be nice if you could hide certain channels like all the sports and movie ones I dont have.

An post track and trace app would be handy. Obviously some people would have more use for it than others. I'd imagine it would be fairly straight forward to create as you would just have to pull the info from here.

http://track.anpost.ie/track.html

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

loving these ideas,
    I'm developing an app for my third year project..
    once that's done, I'm gonna make some of these ideas... especially that upc tv guide one, they seem pretty interesting.

• Advertisement

would also be nice if you could hide certain channels like all the sports and movie ones I dont have.

I am now redundant since that has been done. Excellent app now. Saves me buying a TV guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I am now redundant since that has been done. Excellent app now. Saves me buying a TV guide.
    What app is this?

brendanL wrote: »
    loving these ideas,
    I'm developing an app for my third year project..
    once that's done, I'm gonna make some of these ideas... especially that upc tv guide one, they seem pretty interesting.
    Just on that upc app, you could have the user select which package they are on and then display the channels relevant to them that way.

Edit: while i'm talking about app, if someone does decide to make an AnPost app, they could have a track and trace function, with notifications when there is a change to the delivery progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

BigCon wrote: »
    At a GAA match now, could do with an app for keeping scores...

I know this is going back a while in the thread but I reckon this would be a handy app. Unfortunately I know nothing about making apps, but it sounds like it should be relatively straight forward? You could have 2 boxes for each team - one for goals and one for points. Tap the appropriate box to add a point/goal and it's automatically able to add up the total scores. You could also have a stopwatch or a countdown timer on the screen to see how long is left in the half.

I wonder has something like it been developed for basketball which included player fouls, timeouts etc. Probably too much info for a smartphone screen but would work well on a tablet.
    been looking for exactly this too...i rmean an app for tidal times around the irish coast!

I use a surf forecasting app from Magic Seaweed (MSW) and it gives you the tides for a variety of surf spots around the country. It's a fairly nice looking app but it runs terribly on my phone (Orange San Francisco), but it might run better if you've got a quicker phone. Another excellent surf one is windguru, but as far as I can see it doesn't have any tide predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

marymc wrote: »
    Why is the Sky News app not available in Ireland yet? Delighted that we've finally got paid apps (and in Euro!), but we still don't have access to everything. :(

Downloaded it from my mums house in yorkshire. Works perfectly over here. Don't understand any reason it's not available here other than someone at sky is unaware of there being a difference between Ireland and UK Android store. Happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

ball ox wrote: »
    I'd love an app that would integrate an alarm clock with google maps navigation.
    I hate when I'm on a bus going somewhere I've never been before and I've the sat nav open for the last 15 mins of the journey trying to figure out where I am and which stop to get off at.
    Have always thought that it would be very handy to have the option to sound an alarm when your close to your destination on the map. That way you don't have to be watching out and you can sleep or whatever.
    I'd buy it!

A friend of mine has made just this... I'll see if he has it up on the market yet and let you know.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    What app is this?

I have it installed as much "TV Guide" but narrow your search with Ireland or something. Image is of an old TV with TV guide in white written on a red background.

BigCon wrote: »
    At a GAA match now, could do with an app for keeping scores...
    ianwalsh2 wrote: »
    I know this is going back a while in the thread but I reckon this would be a handy app. Unfortunately I know nothing about making apps, but it sounds like it should be relatively straight forward? You could have 2 boxes for each team - one for goals and one for points. Tap the appropriate box to add a point/goal and it's automatically able to add up the total scores. You could also have a stopwatch or a countdown timer on the screen to see how long is left in the half.

I wonder has something like it been developed for basketball which included player fouls, timeouts etc. Probably too much info for a smartphone screen but would work well on a tablet.

I've put this app together - see the thread over here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Tinyshark, a hack of grooveshark, works quite well for streaming music. I would never do it on 3g though as it'll burn through my data.

Doesn't use up very much data because it's mono :( Grooveshark used to be awesome, but they crippled it a few months ago. Desktop version is stereo.

If flash works on your device you can just go to website and use the full version, but this stops playing if you put phone asleep. I use this on the tablet, but not on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭heepie

srsly78 wrote: »

If flash works on your device you can just go to website and use the full version, but this stops playing if you put phone asleep. I use this on the tablet, but not on phone.

Grooveshark moved to html5 some month back. They used to support the old flash version for a while under retro.grooveshark.com but I don't think this is possible anymore.

You could also use a browser that lets you mimic other browsers like chrome, firefox or internet explorer, but I haven't been able to view the grooveshark webpage properly in such a small screen.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

this is a great idea for the GAA

now to develop it further...

an App that record (in each half) wides, clean possessions (catches from puck outs), frees given away, frees scored, hooks, blocks, ground pulls

most teams (clubs included) now have someone taking vital stats for use at half time or for planning future training session.
    something like this would be a huge help as it provides instant info

another idea would be a Petrol Pumps pricewatch App

basically you could find out where the cheapest petrol and diesel are.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    another idea would be a Petrol Pumps pricewatch App

basically you could find out where the cheapest petrol and diesel are.
    pumps.ie already have one that works quite well. In the market search for "TheFuelApp"

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    pumps.ie already have one that works quite well. In the market search for "TheFuelApp"

ok, the problem is they have a poor selection of stations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭jetpack101

In recent days it has been reported that by August this year the Android App market will pass iPhone's apps market with the volume of available apps.

If you have an iPhone you can access the Apple apps market but If you have a Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson, Blackberry, LG or other type phone that runs on Android you can access the Android App's market yet most companies in Ireland take forever to launch apps for Android.

For example LOC8 still have no app for Android. My phone comes with a built in SatNav so I don't have to go buy one..... I do if I want to use LOC8?????

Come on guys, get the finger out, we've been waiting long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

An app that shows Irelands debt figure rapidly climbing ...
    Also could show total owed per man woman and child....increasing...
    Also the pensions that all current former ministers are now collecting, followed by the amount you get on the dole ,,,,,:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

It would be good to have an app from your phone that would allow you to remote record on Sky+. This is possible from the Sky+ website if you're registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Kazbah wrote: »
    It would be good to have an app from your phone that would allow you to remote record on Sky+. This is possible from the Sky+ website if you're registered.
    Sky's own app does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Kazbah wrote: »

There is, its called 'sky+'. There's another one called recordit as well

An post track and trace app would be handy. Obviously some people would have more use for it than others. I'd imagine it would be fairly straight forward to create as you would just have to pull the info from here.

I'll have a go at making this next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

An app that shows Irelands debt figure rapidly climbing ...
    Also could show total owed per man woman and child....increasing...
    Also the pensions that all current former ministers are now collecting, followed by the amount you get on the dole ,,,,,:mad:
    And then directions on how to get a life and where the AH and politics forums are. Can there be ONE non-recession forum on boards? Just one? Please?

foto joe wrote: »

I'll have a go at making this next week...

Done.. ;) Here's a delivered tracking number to try it out: RL236290588IE

I haven't had other tracking numbers to try it out so if anyone wants to PM me a tracking number that's mid-transit that'd be great! :) I might need to reduce the main status text a bit.

PackageIconbds.png

Scan to download;
    img.php?s=6&d=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FmMXq8Z

begin.pngtrack_1.png

I'll get it up as a free app on the Market when I get a chance, having problems with the software to convert it for the market at the moment.

If you think there'd be demand for a more functional version that'll search a range of tracking numbers, or a selection of a few... let me know or open a new thread. I'd be happy to put that together as a cheap app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Nice work Joe. Are you putting this and the GAA apps up on google code or github? Would like to have a look

• Advertisement

Built in App Inventor so no huge coding involved... just an awful lot of logic blocks! :p The AnPost one does have PHP to get the external data and it functions as a "TinyWebDB" app inventor component.

I've developed with the SDK in eclipse too but want to see how far I can push the app inventor. Now with the likes of TinyWebDB allowing external data I think it has some nice potential for fast development non-complex apps. That AnPost app actually came together in less than half an hour.

I've been considering picking a project beyond the app inventor. Use the app inventor to bring it as far as I can really quickly, then unpack the apk file and take up the work in Eclipse. Not sure if this is possible but I'd imagine it should be.

Advertisement