Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

recedite wrote: »
    Pity he didn't shoot himself in the head instead; then he could have got a Darwin Award.

No he couldn't. The fact hat he has already managed to breed bars him from an award. The award is recognition that you took out yourself out of the the gene pool before you polluted.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

'Bishop' Eddie Long accused of sexual relations by four boys.

http://i.mediatakeout.com/photo/1306485625eddie_long_scandalpics.jpg

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/eddie-long-case-officially-958537.html

Rasheedah Oliver of DeKalb County, a member of New Birth for about a dozen years said the settlement means "we can move forward and continue to do what God would have us do." Oliver said it doesn't bother her that she may never know the terms of the settlement. "I'm still steadfast," she said. "I know what he's done in my life, and I know what he has done in the lives of others."

Kamelya Hinson, a Web content editor who lives in Decatur, said the settlement has not shaken her faith.

"It doesn't make me think he's guilty or anything," she said. "I decided when this came out that I loved my pastor unconditionally. Even if he came out and grabbed the mic and said ‘I'm guilty,' it wouldn't change the way I feel about him. I wouldn't be angry like a lot of people are. You can't walk away after 15 years of being a member of a church."

Hinson said it doesn't bother her that she may never know whether the allegations are true. "He's done 1,000 good things," she said, "and he may or may not have done four really bad things."

Love a pastor unconditionally? That's a lot of power they have over their 'flock'. Baaaaaaaaa. Scary stuff.

Stong is the delusion in this one, mmmm.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

apparently, if you say a novena against children's rights, you'll get a medal.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/02/15/no-kidding/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

MrPudding wrote: »
    No he couldn't. The fact hat he has already managed to breed bars him from an award. The award is recognition that you took out yourself out of the the gene pool before you polluted.
    Not so, these be the rules

Take Angry Wheelchair Man, do we really know (or care) whether he has sired a sprog, prior to his impatient descent into the lift shaft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Stong is the delusion in this one, mmmm.

MrP

:eek: It would want to be!! :(

Reminds me of a piece I think by Hitchens, on how religion distorts the brain to such a degree, that an individual can't actually unbiasedly judge it on what society generally considers right and wrong, or even the law for that matter.

To have a member of society that condones such a horrific act it is disturbing, and leaves me quite apathetic to that persons morals in general. Sarcasm I get, trying to understand if a persons opinions are skewed due to religion, is a quagmire i find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

They even sound intelligent..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

RichieC wrote: »

What a well educated, intelligent family. That small town praises ignorance and inspired the film Idiocracy.

There's absolutely NO remorse either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The fact hat he has already managed to breed bars him from an award. The award is recognition that you took out yourself out of the the gene pool before you polluted.
    Not so. Or so I believe.

Pace the desperately sad fact that a young girl was shot by some thundering moron who happened to be her biological father, I believe the sole criterion for winning a Darwin Award is that you've managed to remove all your genetic material from the gene pool. As such, you'll be eligible, so long as you kill all of your kids at the same time as you kill yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Another case of militant secularism oppressing the religious no doubt. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Not so, these be the rules

Take Angry Wheelchair Man, do we really know (or care) whether he has sired a sprog, prior to his impatient descent into the lift shaft?

Bah. I can't believe they have devalued the award.

MrP

Bah. I can't believe they have devalued the award.

It's perfectly logical to me; no award winner will pass on their genes. It would would only be a devaluation if somebody took a sneaky "posthumous sperm donation" and used it to procreate.....but now we are straying into an area of weirdness worthy of a Mormon theologian.

Didn't somebody win one after he accidentally castrated himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

robindch wrote: »
    Not so. Or so I believe.

Pace the desperately sad fact that a young girl was shot by some thundering moron who happened to be her biological father, I believe the sole criterion for winning a Darwin Award is that you've managed to remove all your genetic material from the gene pool. As such, you'll be eligible, so long as you kill all of your kids at the same time as you kill yourself.

If you kill or harm any innocent people, generally you're also disqualified.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    apparently, if you say a novena against children's rights, you'll get a medal.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/02/15/no-kidding/
    It always tickles me when the religious give out about "indoctrination."

At least my secondary school religion teacher admitted he had been indoctrinated (although bizarrely, he was glad he was:confused:).
    It's as if they're saying: "HEY! INDOCTRINATION IS OUR THING!!"

Christians feel terribly oppressed during the reading of other religion's prayers:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Christians feel terribly oppressed during the reading of other religion's prayers:

Disgraceful carry on. Absolutely disgraceful. The worst thing is that they're all going to be patting themselves on the back about it.

Is it any wonder that a lot of the American public seem to have lost the run of themselves if that's the example they're getting from their senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

416893_336152443090395_229551967083777_902485_1894105240_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

They don't...?

And yet if you told them they couldn't say their prayers in the Senate they'd be squealing, 'Oppression!!!'.
    Heck, they probably think being told to pipe down and stop being so rude is some sort of persecution.

Who was doing the yelling? Where they laypeople or actual politicians?

Galvasean wrote: »
    And yet if you told them they couldn't say their prayers in the Senate they'd be squealing, 'Oppression!!!'.
    Well, funny you should say that:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099300/Councils-BANNED-saying-prayers-meetings-sparking-fury-Government-church-leaders.html

Luckily, the government only took eight days to restore law and order to the nation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17082136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

The comments section at least give me hope that someday there will be enough sane minded people, that everyone will be treated equally.

After all the times I've watched the Olympics I never realised women are still excluded.

http://www.bancroftthisweek.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3477299
    Time to bar Saudi Arabia from Olympic competition
    By Andrea DeMeer

“At the Olympics, race or religion is irrelevant. We’re all just here to do sport.” — Ruqaya Al-Ghasara, devout Muslim and the first female Olympian to compete veiled from head to toe. (2004)

Dick Pound, Canada’s representative on the International Olympic Committee, is absolutely correct when he says that group has made great strides in the equality of women in the Games.

Consider the organizers of the ancient Olympics put unmarried women to death for simply attending the event, and when the modern Games were founded in 1896, women were barred from competing as it was thought their inclusion would be

“impractical, uninteresting, unaesthetic, and incorrect.”

So yeah — we’ve come a long way, baby.

With every Olympic sport now open to female competitors — boxing was the lone holdout and it will be included in the 2012 Games — this marathon is practically on its last leg.

So it’s time to disqualify Saudi Arabia from the race.

Last week, an international human rights group called for the IOC to consider barring Saudi Arabia from the Games unless that country opens its team to women, and moves to improve physical education and opportunities for Saudi girls.

Saudi Arabia is one of three countries that fields men, but never women, in the Olympics, and the only country that is prohibited by national law from selecting women for its team.

The call for exclusion is not without precedent or law.

In 2000, Afghanistan was barred from the Sydney Olympics, in part because of its treatment of women.

Apartheid kept South Africa from the Games, and the Olympic Charter precludes discrimination.

At first blush, it might seem the fielding of a Saudi women’s beach volleyball squad would mark only a symbolic victory.

However, it would necessarily require funding for a women’s Olympic program, investment in sport for Saudi women and eventually a reversal of the law that forbids sports for girls in Saudi state schools.

At the Olympics, race or religion is irrelevant. We’re all just here to do sport.

Sport is a human right.

Any nation that does not recognize this basic fact does not deserve a spot on an international stage of excellence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Heh, Dick Pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll admit, I had to make several attempts to read the whole article because of "Dick Pound".

The death toll has risen from yesterday over this. People are dead because a reaction to carelessness. Even if it was intentional it still isn't worth dying for.

The only, albeit small, consolation is that it appears non protesters haven't been harmed so far. Unlike when that pastor burned the koran resulting 7 UN workers dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17123464
    At least six people have been killed and dozens injured in Afghanistan after protests spread over the burning of copies of the Koran at a US airbase.

One person was killed in Kabul, one in the eastern city of Jalalabad and at least four in Parwan province.

US officials apologised on Tuesday after Korans were "inadvertently" put in an incinerator at Bagram airbase
    Officials at Bagram reportedly believed Taliban prisoners were using the books to pass messages to each other.

The charred remains of the volumes were found by local labourers.

Protesters in Kabul shouted, "Death to America!" and threw stones at Camp Phoenix, the main US base in the city.

Riot police used water cannon to disperse protesters, some of whom were blocking the road leading to Jalalabad, one of the main trade routes into the capital.

Witnesses said security guards were firing into the air. There were also reports of people chanting pro-Taliban slogans......

"The charred remains of the volumes were found by local labourers.
    Protesters in Kabul shouted, "Death to America!" and threw stones at Camp Phoenix, the main US base in the city"

Would make for a good scene in a movie.... The Life of Brian 2, or maybe Team America, World Dustbinmen

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Christian loses employment tribunal over Sunday working
    A Christian woman who claimed she was forced to leave her job because she was made to work on Sundays, has lost her case against Merton Council.

An employment tribunal ruled that Celestina Mba, 57, was not constructively dismissed from her job in 2010.

Miss Mba, from south London, worked helping children with severe learning difficulties.

The council said it had a duty to ensure children had weekend care.

Ms Mba worked for Merton Council at Brightwell Respite Care House in Morden for three years.

She told the tribunal she was prepared to work night-time and Saturday shifts, or to have accepted less pay, to be able to observe Sunday as a day of rest.

'Amazed'

She said she had told her employer she had "difficulties" working on Sundays before she was employed, but did not specify they were religious.

The tribunal in Croydon found there were no viable alternatives to requiring Miss Mba to work Sundays.

Merton Council director of children schools and families, Yvette Stanley, said: "As a local authority, we have a duty to ensure our children with disabilities who need weekend care are supported by carers who are familiar with their specific needs."

Miss Mba said: "I am amazed by this decision.

"I thought that this country was a Christian country.

"I worked hard for years at my job, and to lose it because of intolerance towards my faith is shocking to me."

In 2003, quarry worker Stephen Copsey also lost a claim of constructive dismissal on religious grounds for being required to regularly work on Sundays.

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If I were her I'd study for an MBA, just cos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

koth wrote: »
    Christian loses employment tribunal over Sunday working

I've always wondered about this in relation to Euan Murray not playing for the Scottish rugby team on the "sabbath".
    Has it caused problems with his club sides?

I'm pretty sure Pep Guardiola was getting pissed off at his muslim players not eating properly during ramadan aswell.

Almost out of principal I wish these people would be sacked from their clubs.

The idea of someone missing work because of their nonsensical beliefs really really annoys me for some reason.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I've always wondered about this in relation to Euan Murray not playing for the Scottish rugby team on the "sabbath".
    Has it caused problems with his club sides?

I'm pretty sure Pep Guardiola was getting pissed off at his muslim players not eating properly during ramadan aswell.

Almost out of principal I wish these people would be sacked from their clubs.

The idea of someone missing work because of their nonsensical beliefs really really annoys me for some reason.

I once watched one of those UK police shows. It followed an officer in a foot chase with a helicopter overhead giving directions.
    After a couple of minutes the officer feels light headed, has to stop and has a little vomit in a field because he hasn't eaten due to ramadan.
    Whatever about accommodating sports players, accommodating po-lice is a different thing altogether.

because The Wire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement