Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should be spent on Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

lividduck wrote: »
    Incest ... also part of our history and heritage.
    What the fuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

really? Well Incest, Clerical sex abuse, Magdelan launderies and Letterfrack are also part of our history and heritage..how much would you demand we spend on restoring them?
    More retarded comments..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Traonach wrote: »
    Actually more intelligent arguement which, since you cannot rebut, you choose to just attack the poster.
    still waiting to hear why , since you believe irish to be sooo alive, well, and relavent you are posting in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

What ever's been spent it hasn't done much of the language's rep abroad. I was asked in all serious yest 'Is there actually an Irish language or do you just speak English with an accent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Flaming = ban. Fair warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nothing. Let it die out in the Republic. Then we can pick it up and use it for our murals :P

Seriously though, it is a cultural thing, so some money perhaps should be spent on protecting it.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Nothing. Let it die out in the Republic. Then we can pick it up and use it for our murals :P

Seriously though, it is a cultural thing, so some money perhaps should be spent on protecting it.
    Fair play Keith. Likewise I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Eh..why should it be?

Personally I believe it's important culturally, I think it's good to be able to read, comprehend and discuss works of poetry and literature in the language in wish they were written, especially if that language is the language of the native land.

I enjoy Irish personally, it's something i am trying to improve upon and I don't think it should be forced upon people given the predominance and place of English in the world but I don't see the harm in having kids learn it in school.

People will say to learn it and spend your own money on it, fair enough, but pointless to take that tactic if they are removing even the smallest chance of someone coming into contact with it.

As such, i believe there is a place where the two parties can meet with regard to budgeting for the teaching and promotion of the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

All children can and should learn a second language for a variety of reasons, and Irish has a strong presence in this country (TV and radio stations, street signs) so it's a logical choice.
    This is the point I was going to make. With the recent job announcements from Paypal and Mastercard, we are hearing how important foreign languages are becoming to getting these new jobs. This usually promts people to make comments about time wasted in school learning Irish when they could be learning another language which could get them a job. The reality is, there is no way of knowing which language will get a person a job in 15 or 20 years time. The emerging economic powerhouses now are China, India and Brazil but if you suggested 15 years ago that a child should one of the languages spoken in these countries you would have been laughed out the door. Introducing an entirely new curriculum and training enough teachers to teach these languages at primary level now is a waste of time because things may have changed dramatically by the time the first children under the new curriculum come out of school. The best option is teach a second language which will give children linguistic skills which will make it easier for them to learn more languages in the future.

Latin, despite being a truly dead language, was taught for years because it improved a persons ability to learn other languages. Short of bringing back Latin, Irish is a great language for children here to get exposure to and will make it easier to learn another language in the future (eg. Paypal announce they are hiring people with a certain language in a few months time).

And thats before we get into the cultural benefits of preserving a language that has been spoken on this island for more than a thousand years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Actually more intelligent arguement which, since you cannot rebut, you choose to just attack the poster.
    still waiting to hear why , since you believe irish to be sooo alive, well, and relavent you are posting in English.
    Just because I can speak Irish doesn't mean I shouldn't converse in English.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is an honest question deise go deo, have you any other subject in your repertoire? Seriously? If it was any number of other topics you'd long be seen as a shiller or a sponsored mouthpiece. I'm not suggesting you are, but for god's sake D put another record on, spin it and see what the fcuk happens. Otherwise it reads like an unhealthy obsession.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Wibbs wrote: »
    This is an honest question deise go deo, have you any other subject in your repertoire? Seriously? If it was any number of other topics you'd long be seen as a shiller or a sponsored mouthpiece. I'm not suggesting you are, but for god's sake D put another record on, spin it and see what the fcuk happens. Otherwise it reads like an unhealthy obsession.

Honnest question Wibbs, do you know the difference between playing the Ball and playing the man? You're a mod so I should hope so, I have had enough of you following me around threads trying to drag them off topic and personalise them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I do agree with this Wibbs. I can't say it is good to see posters going on about the same thing all the time. It is important to change the subject from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Honnest question Wibbs, do you know the difference between playing the Ball and playing the man? You're a mod so I should hope so, I have had enough of you following me around threads trying to drag them off topic and personalise them.

"No," then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Just because I can speak Irish doesn't mean I shouldn't converse in English.

Damn right, folks need to understand what you're saying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a retarded statement to make considering you can't speak Irish.
    Irony.
    If you hold that view you are less Irish than me:cool:
    You admit you're not fluent, so what percentage of less or more "Irish: are you? Do native speakers consider you lesser? By your "logic" it seems they do. Give me an ever loving break. If we're debating this BS it's up there with baldy men fighting over a comb, as Gaelige no as Bearla.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Neunaneunzig euro pro kinder, das ist gut!

I hardly need to be "following your around" DgD. In your case it seems the ball is the man. Break out into any forum you care to mention and go wild. It seems this is your only hobby horse and good luck to you, ride him well, but one can hardly expect to not be called on that horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I answered 'Leave it at current levels' but I say that with the caveat that Irish should be made non mandatory for all leaving Cert students.

I have no problem at all with the Irish language as long as its a non mandatory subject, and I say this against the very current situation we find ourselves in, where students might be much better off spending hundreds of hours studying German, French, or Spanish in order to apply for overseas jobs, instead of being forced to learn (probably not learn) a language which doesn't travel. Irish is a fine language, and I hope thrives among those who wish to speak it, and I hope its always kept alive, but not at everybody's curricular expense.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I answered 'Leave it at current levels' but I say that with the caveat that Irish should be made non mandatory for all leaving Cert students.

I have no problem at all with the Irish language as long as its a non mandatory subject, and I say this against the very current situation we find ourselves in, where students might be much better off spending hundreds of hours studying German, French, or Spanish in order to apply for overseas jobs, instead of being forced to learn (probably not learn) a language which doesn't travel. Irish is a fine language, and I hope thrives among those who wish to speak it, and I hope its always kept alive, but not at everybody's curricular expense.
    Ah Keith weighed in, now Sutch, all we need is bwatson to make an appearance and the brotherhood of nod is complete.

• Advertisement

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Ah Keith weighed in, now Sutch, all we need is bwatson to make an appearance and the brotherhood of nod is complete.
    and the accusations of "west brit" just because people think "eh wut?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Nothing. Better to spend on educating people to learn other languages which people use and which companies coming into Ireland want. Irish should be a hobby for those who want to learn it.

and the accusations of "west brit" just because people think "eh wut?"
    A lengthy record of loyalist anti-Irishisms speaks otherwise my friend. I recall Nodin bellowing at some length about sutch's fantasies of British troops on the streets of Ireland. Again.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    A lengthy record of loyalist anti-Irishisms speaks otherwise my friend. I recall Nodin bellowing at some length about sutch's fantasies of British troops on the streets of Ireland. Again.

That's interesting, another poster used that exact same tactic just the other night, I wonder :cool: Getting back to this thread, what's wrong with my post#50. go on Ruby, try and have a stab at an answer which doesn't involve getting involved in an argument about the 1st World War, or the 1916 Rising!

LordSutch wrote: »
    That's interesting, another poster used that exact same tactic just the other night, I wonder :cool:

Getting back to this thread, what's wrong with my post#50. go on Ruby, try and have a stab at an answer which doesn't involve getting involved in an argument about the 1st World War, or the 1916 Rising!
    I actually agree with some parts of your post, but I recognise that whatever comes out of you is tainted by your general disdain for all things Irish, so naturally must be discarded. Go on and call me a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod.

Any more baiting or derailment will result in bans.

Think I'll leave this thread now before it kicks off, seems like my moderate ideas (post #50) are a little too radical for some.

My own opinion is that asking whether or not the state is spending enough is disingenuous. Its not how much is spent, its how it is spent. The state owes it to Irish citizens to give Irish the best crack of the whip it can after the murder that was done to erase the language, but the way it is taught in schools is criminal.

Likewise after school, the market should decide who gets to supply Irish language services to the state. Basically there's a lot wrong with the situation, and fixing it wouldn't take a lot of effort. Just throwing money at the issue won't help anyone.

That's more like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think that the funding is fine, and obviously needs to be cut or raised in line with the budgetary targets in whatever the times requires.

What I want however is for the funding to be better utilised. The Gaeltacht does not own the Irish language, and we need to see much more urban development. Stop spending money on stupid things, and start investing more into Gaelscoileanna, or Irish language centres where there is a demand for it. I'd be happy if there was even a little coffee shop for Gaelgeoirí to come together.

The only place that will protect the Irish language is Ireland. We need to remember that. It requires funding, but smarter funding where we can actually see results. I'm tired of the lip-service to be frank.. Either do it right, or don't do it at all. There are waiting lists for Gaelscoileanna in every county - so I think more consideration should be given to any new schools, and make them where the demand is required - an Irish medium school.

Another thing that's really hurting the language, and a waste of effort is having a primary Gaelscoil, but no secondary Gaelscoil in an area. Children get to the age of 12 and become reasonably fluent, only to have it slip away over the next 6 years. It's a joke. If an area has a Gaelscoil, there must be a secondary Gaelscoil to continue the immersion in schools.

Advertisement