Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should be spent on Irish?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

When ever there is a thread on the Irish language it does'nt take long before someone comes along talking about how much is wasted by the government on it, what do you think, the state should spend more or less on Irish?

How much should be spent on Irish? 145 votes

More
    0% 0 votes
    Leave it at current levels
    44% 64 votes
    Less
    24% 35 votes
    Nothing
    31% 46 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Jacksh1t.

Time to pull the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Personally I find it a little bit sad that we had so many foreign invaders trying to stamp out our language and culture.

All they had to do was give us a bit of comfort and we'd have reached the conclusion that it was pointless and boring and do it ourselves.

Poor English Empire, so much wasted effort when all they needed was patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A ceathair a punt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

A ceathair a punt.
    tri caoga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nothing, let it die a natural death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Personally I find it a little bit sad that we had so many foreign invaders trying to stamp out our language and culture.

All they had to do was give us a bit of comfort and we'd have reached the conclusion that it was pointless and boring and do it ourselves.

Poor English Empire, so much wasted effort when all they needed was patience.

They did a superb Job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

over 9000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

Confab wrote: »
    Nothing, let it die a natural death.

Like this?

Nichts, müssen Sie Ihr Geld nach Deutschland geben

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

people can spend as much of their own money learning and promoting irish as they want, that's great and is to be admired. **** off with public funds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

€45 million in bailout money.

Oh wait ....you're talking about the language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

€0.00

The money should be spent on a useful language,if people want to learn the language in their own time then more power to them.Shouldn't be wasting time/money forcing children to learn it in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Same OP same old whinge, demanding that someone else pay for their hobby, in this case, a now largely dead makkey uppy lingo!
    Your money, spend it as you like, my tax on a dead language...eh that would be a NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Irish is part of our heritage and culture, it needs to be protected. Money has to be spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Here, look.. I amn't stupid enough to want to speak Irish or do certain types of maths.. so there's at least 7 reasons that Irish should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

people can spend as much of their own money learning and promoting irish as they want, that's great and is to be admired. **** off with public funds though.

Sometimes you need to think a little bit deeper than that though, so do you mind me asking why you don't think it's worth being publicly funded?

lividduck wrote: »
    Same OP same old whinge, demanding that someone else pay for their hobby, in this case, a now largely dead makkey uppy lingo!
    Your money, spend it as you like, my tax on a dead language...eh that would be a NO
    Can you speak Irish?

Traonach wrote: »
    Can you speak Irish?
    Nope, I cant speak dodo either , in fact I dont speak or wish to fund any dead meaningless languages, (though I have considered esperanto!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Irish is part of our heritage and culture, it needs to be protected. Money has to be spent on it.

I would spend much less than is spent now.

It is part of our heritage but I cannot see a reason for compulsory classes in our schools. What possible purpose does that serve? Or the fact that every official document must be available in Irish. It is no longer a language that serves any purpose in modern everyday life. Some funding should be available to preserve the language but as part of our heritage not as a compulsory school subject and official state language.

Sometimes you need to think a little bit deeper than that though, so do you mind me asking why you don't think it's worth being publicly funded?
    Eh..why should it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

As opposed to natural, organic languages which grow from the ground?

I think we should pay for it to be taught properly in primary school, compulsory for all except those with legitimate grounds for exemptions. All children can and should learn a second language for a variety of reasons, and Irish has a strong presence in this country (TV and radio stations, street signs) so it's a logical choice.
    It should then be optional in secondary school.
    I stress that it should be taught properly: with children giving a good grounding in the basics, long before doing proverbs and literature and such, and it should be made fun and interesting.

I'm not sure if that would cost more or less than however much is spent on the language now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

As someone with a near 3 and a 1/2 hour Irish exam on terrible poetry and depressing short stories tomorrow morning, I would say as little as possible.

Nope, I cant speak dodo either , in fact I dont speak or wish to fund any dead meaningless languages, (though I have considered esperanto!)
    If you can't speak Irish then you can't go making comments like,
    a now largely dead makkey uppy lingo!
    That's a retarded statement to make considering you can't speak Irish.
    my tax on a dead language
    People still speak Irish (myself included although I'm not fully fluent), so it's far from a dead language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

There are a few thousand languages in the world today.

Hundreds of languages have already become extinct, and no new languages are being created, so the number of languages in use is falling.

Irish is not at all special in that context, and this has essentially been recognised by successive governments since the foundation of the state. All have paid lip service to it for political reasons, but none have made any real difference.

I think the overall level of spending should be reduced, starting with making it optional for the Leaving Cert.

Ultimately, society stands to benefit more if the money is spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Irish is a part of your heritage and your culture, so protect it all you want but make sure you spend your money on it, not mine.

How do you people not understand that this 'our' BS is exactly what has contributed greatly to the slow, pathetic death of this language?

Show some respect to those of us who are no less Irish than you just because we don't view our country and heritage in the way you think we should and who knows? Maybe Irish may still have a chance to survive.

But the state should not be funding hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I think the reverse is the more pertinent question. Why should it be publicly funded.

I believe it should be but not as it is currently. Compulsory schooling, offical state status, road signs etc. Spend the money on maintaining the language at an academic level and as part of our heritage, perhaps some classes in primary school as an earlier poster mentioned, after that if you are interested its up to you. I would not have TG4 or radio na gaeltachta either.

If you can't speak Irish then you can't go making comments like,
    That's a retarded statement to make considering you can't speak Irish.

People still speak Irish (myself included although I'm not fully fluent), so it's far from a dead language.
    firstly , if you have to rely on personally abusive sniping, then you have already lost.
    Secondly, if Irish is so popular and so widely spoken then why are you posting in English? Could it be that only a few hobbyists like yourself would understand the post?
    State spending on a second language should be restricted to a modern European language such as French,German,Russian , or Spanish...not some hobby lingo of a couple of thousand people in disparate areas of Ireland who cant even understand each others dialects!

Show some respect to those of us who are no less Irish than you just because we don't view our country and heritage in the way you think we should and who knows? Maybe Irish may still have a chance to survive.

If you hold that view you are less Irish than me:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

More than is spent on the damn banks.

really? Well Incest, Clerical sex abuse, Magdelan launderies and Letterfrack are also part of our history and heritage..how much would you demand we spend on restoring them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

If you hold that view you are less Irish than me:cool:

Thanks for proving me right and doing your case zero favours.

Advertisement