Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should be spent on Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

lividduck wrote: »
    I meant you were wasting your time arguing with the Culture Nazi's.
    Totally agree with you on the dead lingo.

Sorry. I misunderstood your initial point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Even Protestant schools? That is unrealistic.
    Why is it unrealistic?
    Douglas Hyde was a protestand irish speaker.
    Jack boothman was President of the GAA and is a Protestant.
    Trevor sargeant former Green TD is a Protestant irish Speaker.
    I oppose spending money on Irish on the grounds that it is a dead language promoted by culture nazis.
    You on the other hand are just a small minded bigot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Why is it unrealistic?
    Douglas Hyde was a protestand irish speaker.
    Jack boothman was President of the GAA and is a Protestant.
    Trevor sargeant former Green TD is a Protestant irish Speaker.
    I oppose spending money on Irish on the grounds that it is a dead language promoted by culture nazis.
    Because most Protestant schools on the Island are in Northern Ireland. A hot bed of political tension. Not difficult to figure out to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Doesnt that diminish attempts to portray the irish language as some cultural cornerstone. It isnt.
    I'm not saying it is a cultural cornerstone, merely that it is part of our history and culture. And that this oft seen comment about it not being "ours" because it isn't everyone's is a fallacy, otherwise practically nothing could be called "part of our culture".
    But when asked to explain how a living language can be "dead" you refuse to explain, therefore you have no case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I can't count the number of times I've heard people wistfully remark that they wish they could speak at least some of it.

I despised Irish class in school, as a subject it was the most mind-numbingly boring garbage taught by the worlds dullest teacher who obviously was just clock watching for a wage and didn't give a fig about making it interesting.
    However it was in an all Irish school so our daily interaction was mostly through Irish and I learnt enough to be able to (tentatively) claim to be able to speak Irish now, and I'm very glad of that fact.

Irish needs to be made sexy again. It's a waste of money trying to get youth interested using poetry or normal educational means. It needs to be promoted effectively through mediums that young people enjoy such as Hector, Rubberbandits, Gaelteachts (to a lesser extent) or its wasted money.

To put it another way, if you go home with someone and they can't speak Irish, don't have sex with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I say less, by all means spend money on those who want to be engaged with/learn the language, but all this money that's being pissed away forcing the language down the throats of people who don't care about it is ridiculous.

I agree with every word you said, but the only problem is if that happened, then the government would probably be bullied into keeping Irish as a compulsory language by a small group of Irish language extremists who'd believe that Irish would die out completely if people's rights were respected and given the choice to learn Irish or not :rolleyes:

Isn't this just the kind of comment that stops people joining discussions on forums such as this. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Treanor2011

I didn't like Irish much in school but my boyfriend is fluent and we are speaking Irish around are daughter.the more he speaks it the more I am remembering.it is spoken as a first language where he's from and it really nice it's what Ireland should be like .its sad that so many people can't see the good in it .there should be funding for it isn't it better than giving over 800000 a year to bankers and the likes . By the way it's spoken in a lot of other countrys to.it would be nice to keep the good things in Irish culture alive such as the language ,dancing,and the music there are more I just can't remember all of them cause if we have none of them we might as well rename the country England .i have nothing against the English but what's the point of being a republic country if we let everything that makes the country die.

I'm not saying it is a cultural cornerstone, merely that it is part of our history and culture. And that this oft seen comment about it not being "ours" because it isn't everyone's is a fallacy, otherwise practically nothing could be called "part of our culture".

But when asked to explain how a living language can be "dead" you refuse to explain, therefore you have no case.

If it is a "living language" why does it need investment?

I didn't like Irish much in school but my boyfriend is fluent and we are speaking Irish around are daughter.the more he speaks it the more I am remembering.it is spoken as a first language where he's from and it really nice it's what Ireland should be like .its sad that so many people can't see the good in it .there should be funding for it isn't it better than giving over 800000 a year to bankers and the likes . By the way it's spoken in a lot of other countrys to.it would be nice to keep the good things in Irish culture alive such as the language ,dancing,and the music there are more I just can't remember all of them cause if we have none of them we might as well rename the country England .i have nothing against the English but what's the point of being a republic country if we let everything that makes the country die.

Whats worse than giving it to bankers?

Thats a foolish argument. There is nothing worse that you could compare it to.

Lack of knowledge of the irish language will not turn Ireland into England. A very tame argument. Our way of life is different regardless of the language we communicate in

• Advertisement

If it is a "living language" why does it need investment?
    To increase the usage of it.

Nothing is everybodys.

Flipping this argument is equally fallacious.

To increase the usage of it.

Why when we already have a very effective means of communication in place?

We dont need the irish language. After all language is just that, a method of communication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

It's a sad state of affairs when so many of the responders would sell their entire culture and heritage for nothing. If we all listened to that lot the world would be so fúcking bland, thankfully I don't believe it's representative of genuine Irish society.

Whats worse than giving it to bankers?

Thats a foolish argument. There is nothing worse that you could compare it to.

Lack of knowledge of the irish language will not turn Ireland into England. A very tame argument. Our way of life is different regardless of the language we communicate in
    My point is if the language dies out what is stopping other parts of Irish culture dying out to .the argument is that why did anyone bother to get the country republic if the Irish people are just going to ruin every good thing in are culture and let it die out.

Even Protestant schools? That is unrealistic.

It's a language, not a religion!

karma_ wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs when so many of the responders would sell their entire culture and heritage for nothing. If we all listened to that lot the world would be so fúcking bland, thankfully I don't believe it's representative of genuine Irish society.

The irish language isn't an "entire culture and heritage".

Any insinuation to the contrary is utterly absurd.

My point is if the language dies out what is stopping other parts of Irish culture dying out to .the argument is that why did anyone bother to get the country republic if the Irish people are just going to ruin every good thing in are culture and let it die out.

Other parts of irish culture do not depend on the irish language.

I can testify to that having tried to get a ticket to last years all-ireland SFC final. (I didnt buy it in irish by the way)

The suggestion that if irish disappears completely then everything else will follow is bullsh1t quite frankly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Why when we already have a very effective means of communication in place?

We dont need the irish language. After all language is just that, a method of communication.

I think you will find that language means much more to people than just that. Language is the vechical of culture and plays a major part in identity, if language had no signifiance outside being a means of communication, why are the speakers of smaller languages around the world seemingly content to continue to use them instead of replacing it with a larger more 'usefull' language?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

The irish language isn't an "entire culture and heritage".

Any insinuation to the contrary is utterly absurd.

Of course you are correct, I should have toned that 'entire' part down a good bit, however I still think it's sad, it might not be our entire culture, but it's an important part of it and should be saved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It's a language, not a religion!
    True but religion and politics aren't that far apart in Northern Ireland. That was basically my point. Probably why there is no Irish language Act in Northern Ireland.

Other parts of irish culture do not depend on the irish language.

I can testify to that having tried to get a ticket to last years all-ireland SFC final. (I didnt buy it in irish by the way)

The suggestion that if irish disappears completely then everything else will follow is bullsh1t quite frankly
    Again I wil explain to you that Irish is a big part of a lot of community's in Ireland so if it were to die out with later generation and people like yourself then of course there is a risk to other parts of the Irish culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Try a "Project Irish", if that fails, make it optional. They'll be soiling themselves trying to give incentives for it. That'll save it.

Just banning it is a tad extreme methinks.

Of course you are correct, I should have toned that 'entire' part down a good bit, however I still think it's sad, it might not be our entire culture, but it's an important part of it and should be saved.

Its not as important as perhaps it once was.

In fact I'd go as far as to say its culturally insignificant verging on irrelevant for a majority

Again I wil explain to you that Irish is a big part of a lot of community's in Ireland so if it were to die out with later generation and people like yourself then of course there is a risk to other parts of the Irish culture.

It isnt for a greater number of communities in Ireland

True but religion and politics aren't that far apart in Northern Ireland. That was basically my point. Probably why there is no Irish language Act in Northern Ireland.

I think that most posters here are only referring to south of the border, the nordies have too much baggage to worry about the language in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Little Lord Fauntleroy

It would be saved, by whomever chooses to speak it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Isn't this just the kind of comment that stops people joining discussions on forums such as this. ;)
    I was responding to the assertion that expecting Protestant schools to teach irish was unrtealistic (Unless of course as a little Irelander you also believe that Protestants cant be Irish). However you have chosen to quote me out of context in order to try and score a cheap point, I can understand now why you keep getting banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

It would be saved, by whomever chooses to speak it.

Should it not have official recognition though?

• Advertisement

I think you will find that language means much more to people than just that. Language is the vechical of culture and plays a major part in identity, if language had no signifiance outside being a means of communication, why are the speakers of smaller languages around the world seemingly content to continue to use them instead of replacing it with a larger more 'usefull' language?

It isnt a vehicle for culture.

Its a means of expressing it. Therein lies a very important distinction.

If ulysses were written in German, Spanish, French, Russian or any other language it's still ulysses.

The language of its expression does not dilute or increase a works cultural significance necessarily.

Advertisement