Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

So, has anyone here read the graphic novels (like myself) and think that the show is actually better?

Do you think they'll kill off all of the people who die in the graphic novels, or, because there's been so many variations (in people) from the comic that they'll only keep the locations as they appeared in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hygro wrote: »
    So, has anyone here read the graphic novels (like myself) and think that the show is actually better?

Do you think they'll kill off all of the people who die in the graphic novels, or, because there's been so many variations (in people) from the comic that they'll only keep the locations as they appeared in it?

I've read the comics an do love the show and they are very different but I just gotta say the comics are better. The characters are more interesting and compelling generally in the GN. But both have their strong points, the tv shows shane,hershel and dale are or were all more interesting and better developed than their comic counterparts imo and most importantly the tv show has daryl! But the comics strong points are bettter developed and more inetresting rick, carl,carol,andrea and possibly maggie.And most importantly the comic book doesnt have tdog so it scores bigtime there:Pand lori and carl arent nearly as annoying in the GN. oh also the tv show has tyrese and his family and donna and allen and the family who were all great characters. So i suppose each are very different and have their strong and weak points, at first I got rly annoyed when the show deviated from the comics but now I've just come to enjoy it for what it is:)

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I've read the comics an do love the show and they are very different but I just gotta say the comics are better. The characters are more interesting and compelling generally in the GN. But both have their strong points, the tv shows shane,hershel and dale are or were all more interesting and better developed than their comic counterparts imo and most importantly the tv show has daryl! But the comics strong points are bettter developed and more inetresting rick, carl,carol,andrea and possibly maggie.And most importantly the comic book doesnt have tdog so it scores bigtime there:Pand lori and carl arent nearly as annoying in the GN. oh also the tv show has tyrese and his family and donna and allen and the family who were all great characters. So i suppose each are very different and have their strong and weak points, at first I got rly annoyed when the show deviated from the comics but now I've just come to enjoy it for what it is:)

So what do you reckon, will they
    kill of Lori
    . I for one don't see it happening atal.
    I mean there's people who are still alive in the novel - eg sophia- who were killed in the tv show, or at least - like otis - hwo was killed off way earlier than in the novel. Or what about carols lesbian tendencies, all the bed hopping etc

I hope no one accidentally highlights these spoilers!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kill of Lori
    I mean there's people who are still alive in the novel - eg sophia- who were killed in the tv show, or at least - like otis - hwo was killed off way earlier than in the novel. Or what about carols lesbian tendencies, all the bed hopping etc

COMIC SPOILARZ OBVIOUSLY GAIZ
    to hell with lori, i want to see if they have the balls to do away with the baby

COMIC SPOILARZ OBVIOUSLY GAIZ
    to hell with lori, i want to see if they have the balls to do away with the baby

yeah I suppose, they are comic spoilers, probably won't end up in the series.

I for one hated what happened to in your spoiler!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

jcgof.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kill of Lori

Hmm I actually think they will kill off lori around the same time she dies in the comics defo not any earlier anyway.I also doubt theyll have the guts to kill off the baby unless the baby is a miscarriage or dies of natural causes.Em ye I suppose carol might be lesbian in the show to, I'm sure shes a little put off by men in general after marrying her abusive husband .And the show has yet to have a token gay character so who knows maybe carol will fill in now that shes done her bit as token abused housewife and then token grieving mother:p nah I actually really like carol ,shes a great actress and unlike most other people I actually find her character quite interesting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

As things stand the comics are far far better imo. Aside from Daryl and Shanes longevity in the show vs the comics(both decisions expanded story possibilities) the changes the show has made have not been for the better , instead of well drawn Characters(pardon the pun) like Donna/Alan and the twins we get cyphers like the hispanic family instead of Tyreese and his daughter we get tokenism in the form of T-dawg and Jaqui.

This conceit that they oughta change things because its a different medium or so that people familiar with the comics can still be surprised is a load of crap, you don't hear readers of GRRM's a Song of Ice & Fire series complaining about how closely the show is sticking to the source material.

The whole reason i was so excited to see this property adapted for tv was to see it's many 'omfg did that really ****ing happen' moments brought to screen and am getting kinda tired of crossing them out one after another with every change they make.

* Think you meant Graphic novel there

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I love the comics and the TV Show. During the first hslf of season 2 I was more excited about the next issue of the comic coming out than the next episode of the show but I'm equally excited about both now.

I'm also delighted that the show is so different to the comics. I think I'd lose interest in the show if it stuck too close to the comics.
    The way it is I can enjoy both and be surprised by both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This conceit that they oughta change things because its a different medium or so that people familiar with the comics can still be surprised is a load of crap, you don't hear readers of GRRM's a Song of Ice & Fire series complaining about how closely the show is sticking to the source material.

It's not that people who read the comics should still be surprised, it's that it's a new adaptation for a different medium. With new writers too. So staying faithful to the source material doesn't always make it 'better' because to write anything useful you have to have a strong vision of your own and idea of the characters and world. So your vision may differ from the source and the script must be adjusted as such. Else you're just going to make a crap, 100% faithful adaptation than a good one that differs somewhat but has a strong vision of its own.

For example: compare Stephen King's adaptation of The Shining to Stanley Kubrick's. King made it because he famously hates what Kubrick did to his story. But there is no comparison, for me. King's came across as hokey and cheap, Kubrick's is my favourite horror of all-time. And I love the original.

Plus the fanboys are going to moan and/or stick with you regardless, so you don't write for them. You write for a new audience and sell them on the concept, if it succeeds then you won't need the fanboys or they'll be still watching anyway. And what's happened? Massive ratings from a new audience, fanboys grumbling but still watching. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

leggo wrote: »
    It's not that people who read the comics should still be surprised, it's that it's a new adaptation for a different medium. With new writers too. So staying faithful to the source material doesn't always make it 'better' because to write anything useful you have to have a strong vision of your own and idea of the characters and world. So your vision may differ from the source and the script must be adjusted as such. Else you're just going to make a crap, 100% faithful adaptation than a good one that differs somewhat but has a strong vision of its own.

For example: compare Stephen King's adaptation of The Shining to Stanley Kubrick's. King made it because he famously hates what Kubrick did to his story. But there is no comparison, for me. King's came across as hokey and cheap, Kubrick's is my favourite horror of all-time. And I love the original.

Plus the fanboys are going to moan and/or stick with you regardless, so you don't write for them. You write for a new audience and sell them on the concept, if it succeeds then you won't need the fanboys or they'll be still watching anyway. And what's happened? Massive ratings from a new audience, fanboys grumbling but still watching. Job done.

Idk for me if your gonna break from the source material why not break completely and just call it something else, it would still be a zombie show and thus draw fanboys like me but wouldn't draw our ire by being less then we hoped.

Idk for me if your gonna break from the source material why not break completely and just call it something else, it would still be a zombie show and thus draw fanboys like me but wouldn't draw our ire by being less then we hoped.

I guess that because the material the series is drawn from is the walking dead, that's what they're gonna call it.

I think also that if they stuck to what was in the graphic novels then you wouldn't have half of the viewers you have now, I found it very formulaic of any other zombie story/movie, which not everyone is a fan of. With the way they've set this version out it's much more accessible to a wider audience.

As I said before, I feel the series is superior to the novels.

Plus I think that because
    they killed off Sophia, who doesn't die (so far) in the graphic novels they won't kill off Lori and the Baby
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Plus I think that because
    they killed off Sophia, who doesn't die (so far) in the graphic novels they won't kill off Lori and the Baby

well as mentioned,
    there is a continuity issue for kids in tv series when the series are based over a short period but are filmed over a few years

for that reason
    a la Walt, I think Carl has to be removed at some point, either killed off or sent somewhere or whatever....either that or the story skips forward a year or two

having said that
    a baby doesn't cause the same issues as different babies can be used to show ageing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

al28283 wrote: »
    Nope, the infected come back after they die, if they were immune they would have stayed dead

When you're dead your immune system stops. This allows the infection to spread and zombify the brain. Thats what i'm running with.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SIBHCHEVIE

I wonder if the baby will be immune?????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,091 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Would be some craic if rather than sticking with the source material in the comics, the transplanted the story to ireland while loosely keeping with the story:

Rick - A Garda from Laois who wakes up in a hospital in an Ireland overrun by zombies.
    Lori - Probably a nurse that rick picked up in coppers.
    Carl - Meh
    Shane - Arsehole garda colleague of rick. The kind who sits just inside a towns 50kph sign to catch people speeding. has tried to ticket zombies but (un)luckily escaped.
    Glenn - Worked in Charlies 2 in Temple Bar street before the outbreak
    Merle - A shinner from longford. Hates everyone not from longford
    T-dog - A protestant from antrim. "Accidently" left merle chained to the roof of Dr Quirkeys.
    Daryl - The more reserved Longford man. Handy with weapons, once lived for 10 days in the wilds of westmeath after his mother abandoned him and went on the beer with the childrens allowance.
    Carol - Travellers wife. Surprisingly quiet.
    Andrea - Events manager from Wicklow. Insufferable gob****e.
    Herschel - Big farmer from offaly. Owns big piece of land surounded by bog
    Herschel's daughters - Standard offaly women. prone to dancing at crossroads, wearing bright GAA jerseys. One remembers haveing a chicken curry in templebar on all-ireland day so takes a shining to the asian lad
    Otis - Proper BIFFO.

Rick wakes up in a hospital near his home in Naas, realises the world is overrun with zombies and his wife is missing. tries to get to dublin to a supposed camp in Phoenix park. Dublin is overrun with tracksuit-clad zombies, grunting on stumbling around. Rick almost dies not realising that this is any different to normal dublin. Is able to excape to the dublin mountains to a camp with his wife, shane etc. After being attacked by a horde of zombies from tallaght, they decide to move and make their way wescht.
    While stopped by a car crash on the M4 they are attacked by a horde and flee into the woods. Otis finds them after hearing carl being a moaning little ****e, brings them to herschels farm....

This stuff writes itself! I envisage them trying to make their way to Achill where its relatively remote, and bounded on all sides by water, but once they get there its found to be ruled by a despotic tyrant, a local boy from castlebar by the name of 'Inda the governer' who fleed from dublin after the outbreak. They could also meet a wild, broad GAA-playing Cork woman with a massive hurley she uses to kill zombies.

or, it being ireland, everyone dies in the first episode as theyve no guns and try to fight of the zombies with rolling pins and big sticks...truly the irish way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you could even have rick spy some wide boy flying a helicopter from the IFSC on his way to the K club riding a horse he picked up at smithfield!

christ your right you could get a right parody out of this.

(by the way LOVE your vesion of "Mchonne" :) )

Does anyone watch "Talking Dead", the show that airs after TWD on amc and discusses the episode that aired on that night?

I think it's a good show. I downloaded the episodes but for those who don't want to do that you can view them here ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TalkingDeadOnAmc231

....though I don't think they're in any particular order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

meh, it's not great, I find Chris Hardwicke pretty cringeworthy

actually (regarding my last post) I think if you start at the oldest video (at the bottom) and work your way up then they're in order ... thought I don't think the first episode is there :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ah the comic isn't that well written, its it relentless brutality is a hook though and with episode this week the tv show proved not just that there slower to get there but that they'll always pull their punches

ah the comic isn't that well written, its it relentless brutality is a hook though and with episode this week the tv show proved not just that there slower to get there but that they'll always pull their punches

It is just a comic you know? And because its a comic and as comics go it may well be the best written out there, its not a novel and doesnt use big words, it uses words like pow and bang because its a comic, and a great comic it is:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

It is just a comic you know? And because its a comic and as comics go it may well be the best written out there, its not a novel and doesnt use big words, it uses words like pow and bang because its a comic, and a great comic it is:D

The best comic? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

al28283 wrote: »
    The best comic? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm talking about best written not best comic, and its just my opinion anyway and I'm kind of biased:p

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

So did Shane know about everyone being infected as well as Rick? Seeing as he snapped the prisoners neck in the woods?

Also, is the next episode the last in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

So did Shane know about everyone being infected as well as Rick? Seeing as he snapped the prisoners neck in the woods?

No. If he knew that everyone was infected, he would have destroyed the brain, not just snap the neck.
    Yes it is, and by all accounts, it's gonna be a cracker.

His plan was to kill rick, then say he caught up with Randal and killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Forgot what time it was, Steven Yeun (Glen) Is doing an AMA (ask me anything) over on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/qzrmh/steven_yeun_im_an_actor_currently_on_twd_amaa/

Very good questions being put to him by the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

So this might have been answered before but just watched the second last episode tonight and wondering why did Shane turn into a zombie at the end if he wasnt bitten? Or did I miss something?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

pookiesboo wrote: »
    So this might have been answered before but just watched the second last episode tonight and wondering why did Shane turn into a zombie at the end if he wasnt bitten? Or did I miss something?:confused:

They're all infected and will turn into zombies when they die

Advertisement