Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Do we really know how long Rick was waiting over Shanes body. I say waiting as i'm landing on the side that jenner told Rick that everyone is infected and Rick was waiting for Shane to turn.

But if jenner knew that everyone is infected surely he would have figured out how to cure it as some people have an immunuty.

The lad that Shane mentioned said the camp was about 4/5 miles away? Would gun shots be heard from that distance. Anyone see a rescue party machine gunning down the zombies (last minite saviors etc) and an uneasy alliance next season?

Carl is so fooked if they lock the door. Season finale should be good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

quick question.

From that walking dead timeline somone posted, whats the difference between "wildfire" and 'global outbreak' (day 0)? Was something mentioned about that that I missed? 183 days in between them? wildfire some initial event that caused the zombies?

Can anyone fill me in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

retalivity wrote: »
    quick question.

From that walking dead timeline somone posted, whats the difference between "wildfire" and 'global outbreak' (day 0)? Was something mentioned about that that I missed? 183 days in between them? wildfire some initial event that caused the zombies?

Can anyone fill me in?

this is spelt out in the timeline
    131 days before Global Outbreak Wildfire started. (I.e. first case of zombie infection). (ep5)

yeah but was there much details behind it? Or was it just a remark in passing. I find it hard to believe that 6 months passed from the first zombie infection to global outbreak

yeah but was there much details behind it? Or was it just a remark in passing. I find it hard to believe that 6 months passed from the first zombie infection to global outbreak

AIDS was around for over 40 years before it become a known brand!

That might be fairly inaccurate, I just threw it out there and can't be bothered looking up where I remember reading something along those lines.

Anyway - the infection could have started somewhere isolated and remote where people don't tend to go, or try to avoid - Like Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Anyway - the infection could have started somewhere isolated and remote where people don't tend to go, or try to avoid - Like Roscommon.

I'll wager it was Mayo. The worst things come from Mayo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

But you're ok with the dead coming back to life as Zombies?? :pac:

OK :p

well, i mean more in a sense that nothing really happened for 6 months. Whereas in movies like 28 days later, the turnaround from first infection to widespread panic was days.

to me its another oversight on behalf of the writers

well, i mean more in a sense that nothing really happened for 6 months. Whereas in movies like 28 days later, the turnaround from first infection to widespread panic was days.

it would really depend on the cause of the outbreak.

if there was actually only one first case it would stand to reason it would take longer to spread to global level...in comparison to something like the release into the air of a cloud of substance that could infect a lot of people at the same time thus spreading quicker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it took a long time in WWZ too
    think about it.. if you started hearing rumours of dead people walking about attacking people would you believe it?
    one really cool thing in wwz was "certain countries" harvesting organs from corpses to sell to rich westerners looking for transplants. naturally those were organs from infected people and when those organs were transplanted the infection started to spread in the new host.. but very very slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

See personally I'd hold off on criticisms like that until they actually address it. Until a few weeks ago, it was assumed that the 'lazy' writers had just forgotten about what was whispered to Rick. Turns out they've been building to it all season.

They've a fair few seasons to get through, more than likely. I'd imagine that they'll examine it from all sides, including the sources of the outbreak and how it spread.

In fairness to them, as far as themes go they've gone fairly deep in two seasons alone. So they do tackle the important 'what ifs' that this genre relies on. Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they won't. Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Peace wrote: »
    But if jenner knew that everyone is infected surely he would have figured out how to cure it as some people have an immunuty.

Who has an immunity?
    Peace wrote:
    Carl is so fooked if they lock the door. Season finale should be good craic.

Trying to keep Carl in the house next episode will be every bit as intense for them as the zombie attack :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I wonder if Lori's baby will be born already carrying the underlying infection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Who has an immunity?

Trying to keep Carl in the house next episode will be every bit as intense for them as the zombie attack :pac:

Both Shane and the new guy who Shane broke his nack (can't remember his name) seem to be infected as the became zombies without bites/scratches. Would this not mean that they are infected and have some sort of immunity?

Its just an assumption. probably won't be addressed until S3.

Would this not mean that they are infected and have some sort of immunity?

er, what?

Immunity would mean that you don't turn into a walker when you die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Both Shane and the new guy who Shane broke his nack (can't remember his name) seem to be infected as the became zombies without bites/scratches. Would this not mean that they are infected and have some sort of immunity?

No it means more that everyone is infected, be it by an aerosol, touch or liquid infection, but everyone is already infected, the bites from zombies kill you and you turn, but if you get hit by a car and die you still turn. The zombie bites don't make you turn, dying makes you turn.
    ...seemingly.

I just hope there is a massacre in the next ep so Season 3 will give us a wealth of fresh new characters.

think about it.. if you started hearing rumours of dead people walking about attacking people would you believe it?

As a person familiar with the Zombie genre, yes I would. I'd be first in the line for petrol and head to woodies to buy some handy hand to hand weapons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'm already fashioning some lobo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Nope, the infected come back after they die, if they were immune they would have stayed dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Mactard wrote: »
    But you're ok with the dead coming back to life as Zombies?? pacman.gif

OK tongue.gif
    See this is the kind of defense I don't really like, even if you were joking:o. Just because you have taken a fantastical idea doesn't mean the show can get away with having no internal logic, particularly zombie stuff as they are usually made to be gritty and realistic. So you sit down and think about the "realities" of a zombie outbreak no matter how ridiculous that sounds. And even if the show is about what happens AFTER the outbreak it's still reassuring to think that the creators have thought about it's beginnings in a logical way, it's what will help the show be consistent. In saying that...

I don't think we know nearly enough about what caused the outbreak to say it's an oversight. The virus may have mutated or started in a very remote place, the military may have tried to contain it secretly etc.... And I'd wager we may never know, as why would Rick and Co. ever be able to find out this information as they hide out in remote places trying to survive?

Also in 28 Day Later you had uber aggressive "zombies" spreading a virus that iirc turned people instantaneously with the slightest transfer of bodily fluid. From the way blood get's splattered around in the The Walking Dead and Romero's films (zombie folklore's bible) without consequence it suggests to me the saliva of the zombies contains an infection that kills the victim and then the virus reanimates the corpse.
    Conor108 wrote: »
    I wonder if Lori's baby will be born already carrying the underlying infection?
    This is going to be another issue for the writers of the show as television has problems that other mediums don't. The actor playing Carl is going to start growing up fast, almost a years worth in the "20 days" spent on the farm already, and unless they have a big gap in between the next season from the character's perspective we may end up with a 6-foot 12yr old who sounds like Barry White (see Walt in Lost.) May they try to write Carl out of the story and have the baby replace him for all the "oh won't somebody think of the children" moments?

• Advertisement

Well if you're talking about internal logic you have to go with this shows internal logic and not that of other zombie movies like you are with 28 days later.
    This show hasn.t given enough details about the outbreak to be able to make a guess as to how long it should have taken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

See this is the kind of defense I don't really like, even if you were joking:o. Just because you have taken a fantastical idea doesn't mean the show can get away with having no internal logic, particularly zombie stuff as they are usually made to be gritty and realistic. So you sit down and think about the "realities" of a zombie outbreak no matter how ridiculous that sounds. And even if the show is about what happens AFTER the outbreak it's still reassuring to think that the creators have thought about it's beginnings in a logical way, it's what will help the show be consistent. In saying that...

The "How" really doesn't suck me in, it's really as simple as: "Why? because Zombies"

The "How" hasn't been dealt with, it doesn't need to be dealt with, not dealing with it won't diminish the show in any way, addressing it (or worse, focusing on it) and failing will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

al28283 wrote: »
    Well if you're talking about internal logic you have to go with this shows internal logic and not that of other zombie movies like you are with 28 days later.
    This show hasn.t given enough details about the outbreak to be able to make a guess as to how long it should have taken
    Are you addressing my post? Because that is kinda what I was saying.

I think theyve all been infected from the very start, every dead body so far who hadn't turned had some kind of head injury or was killed in ways that destroyed the brain afaik All the others who died became zombies...I think

i just like to know backstories.
    Was wondering if there was one which I may have missed

i'm already fashioning some lobo's

Not quite a lobo, but sharpen the edges on this, and you've got a good medium range Zombie killer:

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8191&loc=P&catid=102.15.5

No they never really got into it, I heard that they were going to show the outbreak and fall of Atlanta through flashbacks of some of the key zombies from season 1, starting with the soldier in the tank from the pilot but then Darabont was replaced and it never happened. Woulda been a cool way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

No they never really got into it, I heard that they were going to show the outbreak and fall of Atlanta through flashbacks of some of the key zombies from season 1, starting with the soldier in the tank from the pilot but then Darabont was replaced and it never happened. Woulda been a cool way to do it.

We were also supposed to get to see what happened the latino gana from season 1 but that got scrapped when darabont left too:( WE were also supposed to get an episode all about merle this season but that never happened so im guessing it was scrapped too. I dont know if the ep would have been about his past or if itd show exactly what happened him after he got off the roof but I just heard that in that episode we wouldnt have had any of the usual cast the episode would have been all about merle.

I read in a spoiler that there will be flashbacks in the season finale. As to what they will be of, I have no idea. I'd have thought they'd be too busy with that herd of walkers to be reminiscing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I actually would like to see more backstory to the characters rather than the outbreak and its origins. How about a flashback to dale and his last moments with his wife at her hospital bedside just before she dies of cancer. Or a flashback of amy and andrea as children on a fishing trip with their dad and then andrea thinking about the good times she had with andrea and how much she misses her, anything really at all. Only seeing our characters either, angry, sad or fighting with everybody doesnt make them very likeable, giving some flashbakcs/backstories would give us some nice character development and allow us to invest much more characters and itd make the cast much more likeable.

Advertisement