Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Did RTE cop that it wasn't going to be awarded by the TMO

Don't think the BBC commentators even knew there was a double movement rule

Just watching it there actually, yep RTE did. Don't know about the Beeb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Christ are people seriously suggesting Earls dived?

When a guy runs across you, and clips your ankle's... you fall.

Any questions?

yep the ****er took out his ankles , did well though but you could see the line he took and then the hands up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Jernal wrote: »
    Regarding Earl's "dive". His arm was tugged and it did look there was clipping of heels, whether intentional or not Evans running line looked suspect. Had to be at least a penalty imo.

He definitely pulled his arm and I'm not sure if he clipped his heels but the arm tug would have twisted him and put him off balance. Definitely deliberate contact with the intent of slowing him so yellow was the right call.

I see no reason for Earls to dive though, 11 points ahead with 8 minutes left, dominating them and a 50/50 chance to get to the ball and score a try. There's no real reason to take a dive.

Madworld wrote: »

yep France will rip them a new one if they beat England tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭phog

.ak wrote: »
    Everyone knows the box kicking is a bi-product of DK's territorial obsession. No one is saying the box kicking for either was good. They were both plain bad at box kicking. Why? Because they don't even do it at club level. Why? Because good clubs don't kick away easy possession. Ireland does though - god forbid we play the ball.

Ball into the scrum? Piss poor? C'mon off it. Just because he didn't throw it into the second row?

He's a small SH, Gray is a huge 'foot-in for the Lions' second row, he was always going to come off second best, but in truth it shouldn't have been his place to make that tackle. He should be sweeping behind the gain line, not making head on tackles. Ofcourse this is where Murray shines, but this isn't a Murray-Reddan pissing contest.

And if you think Reddan was as slow as Murray was during the Italy game you obviously don't believe in the theory of time or relativity.

The point of my post is there was absolute no reason to bring Reddan off at the 50 min mark. Kidders has it in for him, full stop.

The ball never got into the scrum, it his off the props leg.

Box kicking - if it's not their call why should Murray get slated and Reddan get off scott free? I lost count of the amount of balls he kicked, poorly and handed possession back to Scotland.

I'll ignore your post about Murray and the Italy game as you say it's not a Murray-Reddan pisssing contest :rolleyes:

I think Kidney subbed Reddan to ensure TOL got gametime, we lost 3 players last week from one game and if we lose Reddan this week Kidney needs to be sure he has back-up.

BTW, TOL didn't weaken the team, in fact I dont think any of the subs weakened the team.

• Advertisement

MungBean wrote: »
    He definitely pulled his arm and I'm not sure if he clipped his heels but the arm tug would have twisted him and put him off balance. Definitely deliberate contact with the intent of slowing him so yellow was the right call.

I see no reason for Earls to dive though, 11 points ahead with 8 minutes left, dominating them and a 50/50 chance to get to the ball and score a try. There's no real reason to take a dive.

clipped his heels look at the line he ran . Earls would have have made it no problem with no interferance

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What? Both Reddan and Murray kicked awful box kicks away. Infact, I've previously defended Murray for his box kicking, as I know it's not his call.

Remember you brought Murray into this, not me.

TOL's passing was poor and often looked panicked. Why would he need to brought up to speed? He's an injury cover sub. Let Reddan play to 60 min atleast before subbing him. If it was the other way around and Reddan was on the bench you can bet if there was only 8 points between them that DK wouldn't bring on Reddan until 75minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What do people make of Heaslip's performance?

Leinster fans will probably spew but I don't think he was great today.

Would love to see O'Brien at 8 with POM at 7 against England but I'd say POM will go back to the bench.

Actually on that subject, put in McF at 12, for the love of God put D'Arcy out of his misery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I'm not a kidney defender but do you not think he was trying to protect players for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

They're a bit mad in that forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

durkadurka wrote: »
    I'm not a kidney defender but do you not think he was trying to protect players for next week?

With the game still in the balace I would say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

leakyboots wrote: »

Would love to see O'Brien at 8 with POM at 7 against England but I'd say POM will go back to the bench.

Actually on that subject, put in McF at 12, for the love of God put D'Arcy out of his misery

:rolleyes:

duckysauce wrote: »
    yep France will rip them a new one if they beat England tomorrow.

Fcuk me, bitter is right. By the way they are talking though they know damn well they lucked it past us and England and just refuse to admit it. I hope France make a holy show of them and piss all over their grand slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭phog

What? Both Reddan and Murray kicked awful box kicks away. Infact, I've previously defended Murray for his box kicking, as I know it's not his call.

Remember you brought Murray into this, not me.

The reason I mentioned Murray was that you initialy said Reddan played outstandingly and I replied if Murray had similar errors he'd be slated for them.
    TOL's passing was poor and often looked panicked. Why would he need to brought up to speed? He's an injury cover sub. Let Reddan play to 60 min atleast before subbing him. If it was the other way around and Reddan was on the bench you can bet if there was only 8 points between them that DK wouldn't bring on Reddan until 75minutes

Maybe Kidney was afraid that Reddan would be caught for another try, I really don't know but I dont see the issue of the subbing especially with the injuries and the 4 matches in 4 weeks.

There's 7 minutes between when Reddan was actually subbed and the timefarme you mention when he could have been subbed, that's 7 minutes, hardly a hanging offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Don't think SOB has Heaslip's skills at the back of a scrum, but we might gain a carrying presence from the base which my nullify this. No point discussing it anyway, Kidney won't make any changes and POM will get 15minutes off the bench against England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Tox56 wrote: »

I just hope France rip them apart, and I think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Was glad that POM more than measured up to the experienced 7's of Barclay & Rennie but posters seem intent on going with the old munster/leinster route of tedious debate/pissing contest.

It was great to see that Ireland's tight 5 forwards were by and large superior to the Scottish counterparts (Gray excluded), Scotland's backrow were made to look rather poor because of Ireland's superior scrum.

Apart from Healy no other forward stood out as a prominent ball carrier, Ferris was everywhere in defence but unfortunately wasn't as prominent in attack bar the pass for Trimble's try. Heaslip was a little muted for me, nothing spectacular but I'm struggling to think of anything he did wrong. I'm glad he's keeping the ball in the back of an advancing scrum more often as our scrum looked a real weapon out there. That's where an experienced head and deft feet really show.

Thought the timing of the subs around 50 minutes was wrong as it didn't inject any impetus in to the team and there was confusion over who took over the captaincy. TOL played well but I was roaring at him for having a go himself from 5m rather than make use of our numerical advantage out wide, luckily it wasn't costly as McFadden touched down.

ROG (like Reddan) seemed to kick too much considering Hogg tore apart France and was the wrong tactic giving him opportunities to run it back, however our chase and line coped well. He improved as the game went on but the 10 minute period after the subs we were a little aimless in our play. Earls and Kearney were the best of our backs on going forward. McCarthy getting 4 minutes seemed the wrong decision as DOC, like Darcy never caught the eye. Perhaps DK decided to hold off on the sub in case an injury arose but it seemed like a hollow appearance at such a late stage.

Good Irish performance against a fairly dour Scotland but I think the biggest area of potential improvement in the team is management (and selection) based.

Eh? Rob Kearney is one of the form players in world rugby at the moment.

I suppose the Fofana try was his fault was it!? Haha

EDIT: This in relation to Kearney's defense, above quote may read like I'm questioning his form

Did you even see the Gray try? He actually ran away from the tackle. Criminal from a fullback. Two guys there, didn't lay a finger on either of them, let alone even attempt a tackle. If an u-18 did what he did they'd get a pretty big bollocking after the game. And Kearney has form in poor last man tackles, even Earls brushed him aside previously. Of course, it's not his fault he was left in that situation, I think it was Reddan who ballsed up before that, but still, he has to take one of them down.

Outstanding at times going forward today, greedy at others (maybe greedy is the wrong word, I think someone used the words 'tunnel vision'), turned over some ball by going it alone. Again, if Trimble hadn't scored that try because of pretty poor defense from three Scottish defenders, Kearney would be in for another bollocking for not putting O'Mahony in the clear before that. Likewise for the Earls chance where Evans got binned - I'd argue Kearney could have passed a little later to give Earls a clear run in. Watch how Earls put a couple of guys through the middle today by taking the tackle and offering the support runner a clear path. Earls' handling today was magnificent, he'd a fine game.

Like I've said, Kearney can be a brilliant linebreaker, is absolutely imperious in the air (world's best bar none for me) but needs to work on bringing others into the attack and still dodgy defensively.

He is playing with great confidence, and the good does outweigh the bad, though it didn't for a season or so after his initial heights scaled on the tour a few years ago, it's great to see him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I for one am very happy with that display. No it wasn't perfect but it was our second game in six days and we put away a very determined if predictably limited Scottish outfit. Ryan was immense and POM had a great game. I would like to see just one change for next week-McFadden for D'Arcy at 12. Sadly Kidney will still pick a totally out of form D'Arcy. Our scrum was a real plus point and our passing in the backline was superb. Roll on Twickers..

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I thought he was ok. With the exception of the France game, I think he has been ok throughout the 6 Nations.

I'm not buying the "unseen work" line that is spouted out every time he has a quiet game. Heaslip at his best does everything - Lions tour in 09, Heineken Cup last year - he carriers ball, wins turnovers, defends well, puts players back on their arse. He is absolutely world class when he is playing like that, definitely one of the best 8s in the world. The idea that he has stopped doing that simply because the backrow is rejigged isn't one I'd sign up to.

He has been ok this 6 Nations. He was great against France, but a solid 6.5 in the rest of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

This forum is utterly dominated by Munster posters. Heaslip has the highest turn over count of the 6 Nations.

This entire thread has been mostly a criticism of a load of Leinster players and praising of Munster players.

The point of my post is there was absolute no reason to bring Reddan off at the 50 min mark. Kidders has it in for him, full stop.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Hilarious.

Reddan wasn't anything special at all today, very mixed performance

This forum is utterly dominated by Munster posters. Heaslip has the highest turn over count of the 6 Nations.

This entire thread has been mostly a criticism of a load of Leinster players and praising of Munster players.

Jesus, give it a rest. Weren't you told to stay off this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tox56 wrote: »

And this forum.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

EDIT: This in relation to Kearney's defense, above quote may read like I'm questioning his form

Did you even see the Gray try? He actually ran away from the tackle. Criminal from a fullback. Two guys there, didn't lay a finger on either of them, let alone even attempt a tackle.

What ?? It was a two on one, and Gray threw a dummy, he didnt run away from the tackle.
    Like I've said, Kearney can be a brilliant linebreaker, is absolutely imperious in the air (world's best bar none for me) but needs to work on bringing others into the attack and still dodgy defensively.

His defence is nowhere near what anyone can call dodgy, give me some examples other than two on ones where he tried to anticipate the play rather than make a pointless tackle for the sake of it when it was clearly obvious making the tackle would stop the try.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think some people just hold grudges against certain players and it makes it hard to compliment them when they do well. Rob Kearney has been (with Ferris probably) our best player in this year's 6 Nations.

Jesus, give it a rest.
    Leinster fans will probably spew but

Take your own advice there pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You were told by JSB not to post on this thread again.

You can take a short break from the forum instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I think some people just hold grudges against certain players and it makes it hard to compliment them when they do well. Rob Kearney has been (with Ferris probably) our best player in this year's 6 Nations.

Exactly

You never see a player have a perfect game either

Look at Healy today, arguably his finest moment in an Irish shirt but he still was the cause of two turn-overs for picking and going without support

• Advertisement

MungBean wrote: »
    Take your own advice there pal.

?

Heaslip's form has been a sore topic with some on here, I think it stands to scrutiny, I think his standards have dropped. I'm not shy to give any Leinster player credit, it's not an issue with me.

Advertisement