Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Wish the words "Leinster" and "Munster" could be banned on six nations match day threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

leakyboots wrote: »
    ?

Heaslip's form has been a sore topic with some on here, I think it stands to scrutiny, I think his standards have dropped. I'm not shy to give any Leinster player credit, it's not an issue with me.
    I think it was the Leinster fans spewing remark. Wasn't needed... You can state your opinion without stuff like that, not everyone here bases their opinions on provincial lines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

leakyboots wrote: »
    ?

Heaslip's form has been a sore topic with some on here, I think it stands to scrutiny, I think his standards have dropped. I'm not shy to give any Leinster player credit, it's not an issue with me.

You prefaced your comment to turn the argument into a provincial one rather than just a discussion of the player. Then you tell someone else to give it a rest with the whole Munster/Leinster thing.

Perhaps take your own advice and just stick to the player discussion without turning it into the usual crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think some people just hold grudges against certain players and it makes it hard to compliment them when they do well. Rob Kearney has been (with Ferris probably) our best player in this year's 6 Nations.

Kearney took the dummy before Gray threw it today. It was poor defending and he made it very easy for Gray.

Last week against France he should have done better against Fofana.

It's not a grudge for pointing it out as Kearney is a poor tackler and defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Kearney took the dummy before Gray threw it today. It was poor defending and he made it very easy for Gray.

It's not a grudge for pointing it out as Kearney is a poor tackler and defender.

I don't accept he should have done better against Fofana. How on earth Keanrey was supposed to read that the ball would end up in Fofana's hands in the couple of seconds it was on the ground I have no idea. He was beaten for pace in broken play, nothing to do with his tackling.

Today he made a bad decision in a 2 on 1. Definitely. He is still in awesome form with the ball in hand and in the kicking game.

Does anyone actually remember how bad our full back play was when he was injured?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Here is my opinion on Heaslip today that I spewed out in the other thread:
    Heaslip 6 - I thought this was his weakest game of the competition so far. Saying that, we controlled possession more so he perhaps didn't get as much opportunity to display his defensive breakdown skills. I'd say the 2009 Heaslip would have been more suited to this game than the 2012 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think it was the Leinster fans spewing remark. Wasn't needed... You can state your opinion without stuff like that, not everyone here bases their opinions on provincial lines!

Alright, fair call.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

6'10 20 stone brave heart running at you.....who would blame him? :

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Annabella1 wrote: »
    6'10 20 stone brave heart running at you.....who would blame him? :
    I agree, yet put Peter Stringer within touching distance of him, and down he'd go.
    No man too big to tackle with the right technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I actually thought Heaslip was pretty good. A solid 7/10 for me. Maybe slightly better than last week.

POM was good too, made one fantastic turnover, carried pretty well. A good first start. Surprised he didn't get utilised more in the lineout, he's quite explosive in the air.

Ferris is just a monster, he is phenomenal. You don't often say defence is a joy to watch but it is in his case.

Kearney's worst game of the tournament..... but that's only because he's been my man of the match in the 3 other games. He's in brilliant form.

Reddan was alright. Not at his best, made a few mistakes, but he wasn't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Great, exciting game. Great commitment from all the irish players.
    Made us feel good.

Such a shame that none of them was 100% perfect in every way.
    After all, it's the least one would expect.
    They really let us down.

I hope that none of the players (or their families) read the rubbish on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Kearney was on a hiding to nothing for that try. He had to defend against 2 opposition players. One gigantic lock running at full pelt with a winger flying along outside him. I'd be more concerned about the 2 missed tackles on Gray before that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't accept he should have done better against Fofana. How on earth Keanrey was supposed to read that the ball would end up in Fofana's hands in the couple of seconds it was on the ground I have no idea. He was beaten for pace in broken play, nothing to do with his tackling.

Today he made a bad decision in a 2 on 1. Definitely. He is still in awesome form with the ball in hand and in the kicking game.

Does anyone actually remember how bad our full back play was when he was injured?!

With the ball in hand he needs to bring other players into play. He's a very strong runner with the ball but his passing and awareness could be better. These are general comments but how often do you actually see Kearney pass the ball after he starts running?

Last week Fofana got the ball around the 10m line with Kearney on the 22. There was plenty of room but Kearney was too flat footed and Fofana didn't have to do much to get about him.

I do remember how our fullback play was when he out injured. He is exceptional in certain parts of his game but poor in others.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Thought Rory Best was great today, don't see him getting much credit here. Was active all over the pitch and showed high-quality prowess to go over in the corner for his try.

Never really thought much of Donnacha Ryan until today (I was watching BBC and winced every time the name "Donka" was said). Last week he gave a hint of his capabilities but this week he really stood out as one of our best players. I'd be all for him taking DOC's place tbh.

I've heard a lot of praise for POM but I can't say I noticed him during the game. Seemed fairly quiet and I didn't witness any particular moments of brilliance from him. Not sure really sure why he's being held in such high regard.

Kearney was on a hiding to nothing for that try. He had to defend against 2 opposition players. One gigantic lock running at full pelt with a winger flying along outside him. I'd be more concerned about the 2 missed tackles on Gray before that.

I agree it was a bad situation to begin with but he didn't make Gray beat him. He could have stood up Gray and put the pressure on him to make the pass. Gray is a second row and alot of forwards don't react well when pressurised into passing the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I agree it was a bad situation to begin with but he didn't make Gray beat him. He could have stood up Gray and put the pressure on him to make the pass. Gray is a second row and alot of forwards don't react well when pressurised into passing the ball.

he was screwed either way, shag all he could do in that situation, went for the outsider which was right , but was wrong :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Just watching the game back on Setanta now. To be fair, Kearney did himself no favours for that try.

As a schoolboy you learn that you always go for the man with the ball and trust your defence to cover the outside. Don't focus on the ball and you won't buy the dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jones taken to hospital for precautionary scan according to rte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Been watching much rugby lately? Gray is not like most forwards. Listen, if you think Kearney is a poor tackler, fair enough, but there was no way he could have prevented that try. If he'd rushed up on Gray and the outside man had skated in, he'd have been slated for committing too early. A no-win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭twinytwo

DM360 wrote: »
    Thought Rory Best was great today, don't see him getting much credit here. Was active all over the pitch and showed high-quality prowess to go over in the corner for his try.

Never really thought much of Donnacha Ryan until today (I was watching BBC and winced every time the name "Donka" was said). Last week he gave a hint of his capabilities but this week he really stood out as one of our best players. I'd be all for him taking DOC's place tbh.

I've heard a lot of praise for POM but I can't say I noticed him during the game. Seemed fairly quiet and I didn't witness any particular moments of brilliance from him. Not sure really sure why he's being held in such high regard.

22?.. first proper start? what exactly were you expecting?... he is harldy going to out do 2 of the best backrows on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Kearney should have tackled Gray but it was a 2 on 1 against professional rugby players. They score that 999 times out of 1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

and Gray would run over anyone on a one on one, unless you take the ankles off the fuker. But he had a player outside

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭JRant

To do a quick 5 things we learned from today.
    1 - Ryan is a beast, great around the park and the lineout. Gonna be a serious player for us from now on.
    2 - Sexton is starting to really command in the 10 jersey.
    3 - Ferris is about as good as it gets, imagine if he had two knees.
    4 - Earls might just be able to play at 13.
    5 - DK hasn't got a clue what to do with substitutions.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

yimrsg wrote: »
    ROG (like Reddan) seemed to kick too much considering Hogg tore apart France and was the wrong tactic giving him opportunities to run it back, however our chase and line coped well. He improved as the game went on but the 10 minute period after the subs we were a little aimless in our play. .

I dont know what game you were watching with regards to ROG's kicks, I think he kicked 4, two from near his 5m line to touch, his first two kicks. His next one was a garryowen, knocked on by Hogg (I think) scrum to Ireland, messed up by TOL and Ireland, scrum awarded to Scotland. His last kick was down the wing, sent back their winger and led to the Kearney, catch, fumble, regather and charge down the field, passed to Earls and then the YC for Scotland.

So that's 4 kicks, two to clear the line which is fairly standard by most teams.

I think you're harsh on ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

With the ball in hand he needs to bring other players into play. He's a very strong runner with the ball but his passing and awareness could be better.- how aware does he have to be to notice the holes in the defence that help him make so many yards?

These are general comments but how often do you actually see Kearney pass the ball after he starts running? - Again, why should he pass the ball if he can take it half way up the pitch by himself before going to ground, recycling the ball and setting up another attack from a ruck?

:rolleyes:

Been watching much rugby lately? Gray is not like most forwards. Listen, if you think Kearney is a poor tackler, fair enough, but there was no way he could have prevented that try. If he'd rushed up on Gray and the outside man had skated in, he'd have been slated for committing too early. A no-win situation.

Scotland were odds on to score the try all right but Kearney could have made it harder for them to do so. If he'd committed Gray I don't think he would have been slated either. If he'd made Gray beat him anything could have happened. It was a poor try to give away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Thought I'd post some pics from the match

195966.JPG

195967.JPG

195968.JPG

195969.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ? Today was the day he had to step up into a leadership role and he spent an awful lot of time giving the ref and touch judges lip.

Another ref might not have taken too kindly to the way he was conducting himself and that kind of attitude doesnt really befit a leader of a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Oh god

• Advertisement

conor1979 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

In the phase just before Trimbles try at the end of the first half when Kearney got the pass from Earls he was faced with a two on one as Trimble was outside him. He put the ball under one arm though and took it on himself.

Granted we scored from the next phase but there was the opportunity to put Trimble away which he didn't take.

Advertisement