Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Jaysus Blackbeard. Last week was bowe. This week Kearney. Who is it going to be next week... Healy? Best? Your posts are borderline comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hmm. I'm slightly confused about the entire game.

It was probably Scotland's worst match (bar the England game). They completely lacked in attack, and never really looked dangerous. Their only decent score coming from an impressive break from the second row.

Yet we really struggled with them, especially in the second half.

It was great to see the win, and certain players get out their and prove their point. But having said that, the problems with the squad run so deep it's silly. The biggest thing I'm still confused about was the changing of the half backs to sit on the lead. We weren't in a comfortable position, and after the match DK admitted he was going to take Best off as soon as he couldn't play anymore and give ROG the captaincy. ROG as Captain is mad imo, but the point that most perplexes me is why take Reddan off?

Reddan was playing outstandingly, why sub him? The fact we couldn't put a score on them for almost 30 minutes was disgraceful considering how much we were in control of the game.

Why wasn't McCarthy brought on earlier? Again, we were in control and DOC was offering nothing except giving away penalties.

Kearney was outstanding as usual. If he could off-load I'd imagine we'd be a serious threat under the ball.

So verdict is; yes, it was nice to see all our 'plan b' elements coming together on the field but the cracks are still there. We'll probably beat England, they're in a pretty big rebuild at the moment, and I think they're there for the taking. So at the end of it it's been a pretty disappointing six nations with no progress. Things will be as they should be: Ireland third, France second and Wales first. It's a pity, because we potentially should be first. But third is probably acceptable for the IRFU, they're looking okay on the RWC15 rankings...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭JRant

phog wrote: »
    gally74 wrote: »
    Overall great display

Youth youth youth,

Darcy should be dropped for McFadden doc for McCarthy for twickenam

Hope the Scottish player is ok

The lead up to his try is why I'm not certain he's the man to replace Darcy, he took the ball on from TOL's pass from the scrum when he should have sent out the line, when he got the ball there was only 3 defenders outside him.

We got lucky and he scored so maybe it's hard to argue with that in itself.

Well he seen it was on and got it, i'd call that heads-up rugby. Seen more of that all round the park today then i have in a long time.
    We seriously need to re-evaluate these box kicks though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I don't understand why he took Reddan off either. Certainly not at the time he took him off when the game was far from won. Don't understand why he brought on ROG when he did.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

JRant wrote: »
    Well he seen it was on and got it, i'd call that heads-up rugby. Seen more of that all round the park today then i have in a long time.

Something which is completely over utilised. Reddan's kicks today were every bit as bad as Murray's and I'm not sure if they are under instruction to use them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I don't understand why he took Reddan off either. Certainly not at the time he took him off when the game was far from won. Don't understand why he brought on ROG when he did.:confused:

Because Darcy was playing badly and needed a rest on the back of 3 games in as many weeks

Same reason Best was subbed on the 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Something which is completely over utilised. Reddan's kicks today were every bit as bad as Murray's and I'm not sure if they are under instruction to use them or not.

I think you can take it they're acting under instructions! Neither does this quite as much for their province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Good win

Very impressed with Donnacha Ryan, and he's earned the 4 jersey going forward. He is everything DOC isn't. DOC is all action and bravado, Ryan provides substance. Pure determination and aggression, and looks like a leader. Was disappointed McCarthy wasn't introduced earlier for DOC, who had another poor game.

O'Mahony was solid, I wouldn't be getting too carried away, he had one excellent steal, but overall a good solid debut. Ferris and Healy also impressed me in the pack. D'arcy anonymous, what does he have to do to get dropped? Earls seems to getting more comfortable at 13, albeit he wasn't tested defensively. Sexton kicked well and Kearney was reliable as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Delighted to see Ryan show what he's capable of. Absolutely criminal he hasn't been starting before this. Showed up Kidney big time in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Some great displays today Ryan, Ferris, Healy.

Some very good displays O'Mahony, Sexton, Kearney, Earls

Some good displays Best, Ross, Reddan, Heaslip, Trimble, Bowe

Some mediocre displays DOC, Darcy.

There was a period around 50mins where we were playing fantastic rugby.

I'm perplexed by Kidney bringing on ROG on 54mins with Sexton (especially as he was playing so well) moving to 12. If he wants to take Darcy off, McFadden is the way to go. I could understand it with 10 or 5 mins to go or due to injury...meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

cgpg5 wrote: »
    France maybe but saying we should have won against Wales is just wrong, could have won maybe, but they were better than us that day

in the same way Wales should NOt have beaten England..

Truth is the 6 nations is iextrmely competitive, thinking its a disaster if we dont' win 4 or slam it every year cos of "the players we have" is nuts.

Hope Wales can do the slam, Ireland to tell England just exactly how far they need to come as a team and Italy to finally get the win Scotland don't deserve to lose... cruel game. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭phog

.ak wrote: »
    It was great to see the win, and certain players get out their and prove their point. But having said that, the problems with the squad run so deep it's silly. The biggest thing I'm still confused about was the changing of the half backs to sit on the lead. We weren't in a comfortable position, and after the match DK admitted he was going to take Best off as soon as he couldn't play anymore and give ROG the captaincy. ROG as Captain is mad imo, but the point that most perplexes me is why take Reddan off?

Reddan was playing outstandingly, why sub him? The fact we couldn't put a score on them for almost 30 minutes was disgraceful considering how much we were in control of the game.

Why wasn't McCarthy brought on earlier? Again, we were in control and DOC was offering nothing except giving away penalties.

Kearney was outstanding as usual. If he could off-load I'd imagine we'd be a serious threat under the ball.

Reddan, was good but not outstanding, if Murray or TOL did some of what he did today they'd be blue murder on here. How many of his box kicks were any better than Murray's? He fed a piss poor ball into the scrum, he failed badly in defending for Scotland's only try, his taking the ball from the ruck was as slow as Murray's but Murray is still too slow?

There was a suggestion earlier in the week not sure which thread that the IRFU would veto ROG getting the captains armband, I guess that didn't happen as most posters here would have known.

I agree McCarthy should have got more gametime. How many penalties did DOC actually give away?

JRant wrote: »

Are you confusing the first touch of McFaddens with him actually getting over the line because it was really on and TOL almost compounded it by taking it on again before McFadden eventually got over the line.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Because Darcy was playing badly and needed a rest on the back of 3 games in as many weeks

Fair enough on Best but if he wanted to replace D'Arcy then why not a straight swap with McFadden?
    edit@ And why replace Reddan?

McFadden is a like for like 12 replacement.

If there's then an injury to one of the back three bring ROG on and Sexton to 12.

Madness at ~55mins.

Sexton has arguably been the 6nations top OH (we'll see how Farrell gets on tmrw) but somehow Fr. Deccie manages to find a position that's not his to put him in. :rolleyes:

McFadden is a like for like 12 replacement.

If there's then an injury to one of the back three bring ROG on and Sexton to 12.

Madness at ~55mins.

Sexton has arguably been the 6nations top OH (we'll see how Farrell gets on tmrw) but somehow Fr. Deccie manages to find a position that's not his to put him in. :rolleyes:

Sexton actually has far more experience for Ireland at 12 than McFadden so not as mad as you think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Sexton actually has far more experience for Ireland at 12 than McFadden so not as mad as you think

Which of McFadden and Sexton is more likely to take over at 12 Long-Term? Sexton is going to be playing 10 Long-Term, why not play him there?

:D Sorry but that's a bizarre post.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Had POM remained on for the full 80, I'm 90% sure Lenihan would have given him the MOTM award. Whether he deserved it or not is debatable, but he was one of our best players for his 60mins. He had at least 2 (maybe 3) great steals and carried well. Only thing I'm surprised about was how little he was called on in the lineout.

All in all, a very accomplished starting debut for a player with very little 7 experience. It will be a pretty close call between him and SOB for the England game.

:D Sorry but that's a bizarre post.:rolleyes:

How? It's 100 per cent factual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Darcy must now leave this team, another major fumble with the ball today. Not good enough at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Had POM remained on for the full 80, I'm 90% sure Lenihan would have given him the MOTM award. Whether he deserved it or not is debatable, but he was one of our best players for his 60mins. He had at least 2 (maybe 3) great steals and carried well. Only thing I'm surprised about was how little he was called on in the lineout.

All in all, a very accomplished starting debut for a player with very little 7 experience. It will be a pretty close call between him and SOB for the England game.

That first paragraph could be used, almost to the word, to describe SOB last week.

You know that's disingenuous.

McFadden is a 12 with second best position wing.

Sexton is a world class 10 and stand in 12 when we've got an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

How many penalties did DOC actually give away?

To answer your question... 2.

The same amount as Healy, Best, O'Mahoney and that Penalty Machine Bowe! ;)

No matter what DOC does, he will always be known as a penalty Machine :/

His first penalty given against him was for lying still while the ball was on top of him, so the scottish scrum half could play the ball.
    Not sure about the second, but it may have been for taking the lifter, when Heaslip did the same thing at the other side at the same time, and Ross peelead around the side of the maul to the scottish side of the maul.
    Not sure who gave away the penalty in that instance.

p.s I know you are replying to someone else, but just decided to look it up for myself :P

How? It's 100 per cent factual

Would you give it a rest. You're not dealing with the main point. Why bring on O'Gara, switch Sexton to centre just to replace D'Arcy when McFadden is a ready made centre? Straight swap and minimum disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fair enough on Best but if he wanted to replace D'Arcy then why not a straight swap with McFadden?
    edit@ And why replace Reddan?

If Reddan get's injured he needs to have TOL up to international speed as he hasn't played much rugby recently.

You know that's disingenuous.

McFadden is a 12 with second best position wing.

Sexton is a world class 10 and stand in 12 when we've got an injury.

true and tbh I'd prefer to see McFadden coming on I was merely trying to explain Kidneys likely rationale

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kidney obviously planned for the captaincy to go from Best to ROG which is complete madness. It meant he was forced to sub on an outhalf at the same time as subbing his hooker regardless of what was going on on the pitch.

Would you give it a rest. You're not dealing with the main point. Why bring on O'Gara, switch Sexton to centre just to replace D'Arcy when McFadden is a ready made centre? Straight swap and minimum disruption.

We'll you said it was a bizaare post so why would I let you think you were right? Sextons played more at 12 than McFadden for Ireland

Not for one second saying that should be the case though

true and tbh I'd prefer to see McFadden coming on I was merely trying to explain Kidneys likely ir-rationale

FYP

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If Reddan get's injured he needs to have TOL up to international speed as he hasn't played much rugby recently.

You cannot be serious. There is one game left in the 6N.

Advertisement