Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Ok, so We scored a bag load of tries.

We dominated at scrum time.

O'Leary and McFadden came off the bench and the world didn't end! They actually played well.

ROG and Sexton played on the pitch together and played well.

We went up against a formidable lineout without our talisman POC, yet Donnacha Ryan and Donnacha O'Callaghan actually played well.

Earls showed us the reason why he was selected at 13 for this 6 Nations, with great handling, exceptional defence and finally some attacking flair, leading to a try (eventually)

We found ourselves a potential 7 for the future in POM, and confirmed that D.Ryan is the real deal.

Healy is playing like a man posessed.

Kearney had another great game.

Sexton was great from the tee, and apart form 2-3 bad decision, lead the line very well.

Yet, people are still complaining about Kidney, D'Arcy, DOC (completly ignoring the work he did a ruck time, and the power he brings at scrumtime).
    Its no wonder the atmosphere in the Aviva is shíte. Instead of watching and supporting the team, our fans are waiting for an opportunity for their most hated player to make a mistake so they can call him Crap on an internet forum after the game!

The reaction when TOL came on said it all. People before he touched the ball were calling him shíte, and saying he didn't deserve to be in the Jersey again.

So, if POC was fit (like he has been for the other matches), you wouldn't have a problem with MOTM Ryan being on the bench instead of DOC?

That's what people are complaining about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

O'Leary and McFadden came off the bench and the world didn't end! They actually played well.

We went up against a formidable lineout without our talisman POC, yet Donnacha Ryan and Donnacha O'Callaghan actually played well.

Earls showed us the reason why he was selected at 13 for this 6 Nations, with great handling, exceptional defence and finally some attacking flair, leading to a try (eventually)

We found ourselves a potential 7 for the future in POM, and confirmed that D.Ryan is the real deal.

Sexton was great from the tee, and apart form 2-3 bad decision, lead the line very well.

Yet, people are still complaining about Kidney, D'Arcy, DOC (completly ignoring the work he did a ruck time, and the power he brings at scrumtime).
    Its no wonder the atmosphere in the Aviva is shíte. Instead of watching and supporting the team, our fans are waiting for an opportunity for their most hated player to make a mistake so they can call him Crap on an internet forum after the game!

The reaction when TOL came on said it all. People before he touched the ball were calling him shíte, and saying he didn't deserve to be in the Jersey again.

Come off it he didn't contribute anything Tuohy or McCarthy wouldn't have

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Best post ive read on this forum in a mighty long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

twinytwo wrote: »
    both of which we should have won:mad:....

small margins...

the inches we need are everywhere... amidst all the doom and gloom we're not too far off the pace!

the 6 nations remains competitive?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Best's try was one of the best set piece tries I've seen in a while. Great execution to a well made plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Brilliant post

In many ways that was the most encouraging Ireland performance since the Australia game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Dont think anybodys disputing that it was a good performance, but you cant tell me that when you look at the 6N table at the end of the championship and see us at best 3 from 5 that you wont feel a tint of frustration wondering what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Tox56 wrote: »
    So, if POC was fit (like he has been for the other matches), you wouldn't have a problem with MOTM Ryan being on the bench instead of DOC?

That's what people are complaining about.

POC isn't fit though. DOC is playing well and doing the job asked of him. He shouldn't be first choice but, its nowhere near the problem people are making it.

I actually think I bigger deal should be made of Earl's performances. There were threads of bile and venom spewed about him before the 6N began. He has now put in 4 very accomplished performances at 13 while steadily improving every week. His critics have been silenced, little if any of them have admitted they were terribly off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The truth is that if there were no injuries Ryan, Trimble and Reddan would very likely still have been on the bench and POM would not have been in the squad at all.

That is the problem.

Also why on earth we changed our halfbacks to sit on a lead at home I haven't the foggiest clue.

That is not to say we didn't play well. Happy with the win. Great team of players. It's just a shame we have to rely on injuries to get the right ones on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

that run from kearney just before earls dived like a professional swimmer was incredible.

• Advertisement

bleg wrote: »
    Best's try was one of the best set piece tries I've seen in a while. Great execution to a well made plan.

Axel Foley take a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

POC isn't fit though. DOC is playing well and doing the job asked of him. He shouldn't be first choice but, its nowhere near the problem people are making it.

I actually think I bigger deal should be made of Earl's performances. There were threads of bile and venom spewed about him before the 6N began. He has now put in 4 very accomplished performances at 13 while steadily improving every week. His critics have been silenced, little if any of them have admitted they were terribly off point.

Please dismount the horse.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bromium wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing POM start tomorrow. He could nail down a place in the team if he continues to play as he has for Munster. I predict he'll be heading with the Lions down under next year.

This is really starting to grow legs now are people taking the p**s or is it just good old munster bias. Hope this guy has a good career ahead of him but the way he is being talked about its like the second coming of Jesus. From what I have seen he has shown nothing to get so excited about and seems to be flavour of the month. Its going to take a hell of alot to dislodge SOB out of the squad. All the same hope he does well tomorrow.

Bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Overall great display

Youth youth youth,

Darcy should be dropped for McFadden doc for McCarthy for twickenam

Hope the Scottish player is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Probably would have gave MOTM to Kearney.

Hes definitely been our player of the tournament.

Good, no, great going forward, still question marks defensively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

richie gray was man of the match for me too, what a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

shuffol wrote: »
    Dont think anybodys disputing that it was a good performance, but you cant tell me that when you look at the 6N table at the end of the championship and see us at best 3 from 5 that you wont feel a tint of frustration wondering what might have been.
    Of course I will.

I was livid we couldn't close out the France game! We had them on the ropes.
    But we made mistakes out on the field and that happens in Rugby. C'est la vie!

We were lucky to be ahead of Wales for so long, they bossed us.
    I was crushed when they got that penalty to win it. But we wern't prepared enough for Wales' physicality, and that showed us up on the day. We had a great chance to beat the team, that has a great chance to win the Grand Slam, without playign well. I just think the doom and gloom is all a bit rediculous.

leakyboots wrote: »
    Probably would have gave MOTM to Kearney.

Hes definitely been our player of the tournament.

Good, no, great going forward, still question marks defensively
    Eh? Rob Kearney is one of the form players in world rugby at the moment.

I suppose the Fofana try was his fault was it!? Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Of course I will.

I was livid we couldn't close out the France game! We had them on the ropes.
    But we made mistakes out on the field and that happens in Rugby. C'est la vie!

We were lucky to be ahead of Wales for so long, they bossed us.
    I was crushed when they got that penalty to win it. But we wern't prepared enough for Wales' physicality, and that showed us up on the day. We had a great chance to beat the team, that has a great chance to win the Grand Slam, without playign well. I just think the doom and gloom is all a bit rediculous.

Fair point, there's obviously a lot of posters(myself included) soured on the national side at the minute for various reasons, but your right, it was a great result and a good performance and at least for today if people dont have anything good to say they shouldnt say anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Keith, thank you for proving a retarded fan like me wrong.

• Advertisement

Eh? Rob Kearney is one of the form players in world rugby at the moment.

I suppose the Fofana try was his fault was it!? Haha

Undoubtedly, but his tackling is still piss poor. I don't understand it either. He is a big man and will gladly put his body on the line jumping at full tilt for a ball he has no right of winning but, he doesn't show the same commitment in last man tackling.

If he proactively targets his defense as a weakness (like Earls) and continues to improve his willingness to pass could go down as an all time great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ferris should have a word with whoever chooses the MoTM. He was immense today and deserved the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Undoubtedly, but his tackling is still piss poor. I don't understand it either. He is a big man and will gladly put his body on the line jumping at full tilt for a ball he has no right of winning but, he doesn't show the same commitment in last man tackling.

Example from the six nations please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I wasn't meaning to be overly negative about Kidney or DOC. I think it was a very good result against a Scottish team who came here to win. Just a bit frustrated with Kidney and selection of DOC over Ryan. Not that DOC has been playing poorly for us, its just Ryan has been better for Munster this season and for Ireland when he's came on in this 6 nation. If POC had have been fit today, I still think Kidney would have pick DOC.

Anyway, a good win today for us with some really good performances from the team. Hopefully they'll continue it next week against England. I've over in London at the moment and it being St. Patricks day, it should be a good atmosphere in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭val_jester

Keith, thank you for proving a retarded fan like me wrong.

He has been really good this Six Nations, fell off two tackles today but made the second most of any Irish player with 10.

Ferris was insanely good again, 17 tackles 0 missed for the second week in a row. Heaslip and POM need quite well but between them they only made 16.

ESPN stats should be banned. Someone get Sean Sherlock on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,963 ✭✭✭✭phog

gally74 wrote: »
    Overall great display

Youth youth youth,

Darcy should be dropped for McFadden doc for McCarthy for twickenam

Hope the Scottish player is ok

The lead up to his try is why I'm not certain he's the man to replace Darcy, he took the ball on from TOL's pass from the scrum when he should have sent out the line, when he got the ball there was only 3 defenders outside him.

We got lucky and he scored so maybe it's hard to argue with that in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭ironingbored

This is absolute horses***.

Piss poor? Are you serious? No commitment?

Richie Grey (6'10" 20st) running full tilt 10-15 metres from the try line with a winger in tow. Kearney placed his bet and lost. He banked on an offload "fully committed" to stopping a try and was sold a dummy by a fantastic player.

Piss poor is your comment and after all your talk about ROG's tackling not being that bad. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If he proactively targets his defense as a weakness (like Earls) and continues to improve his willingness to pass could go down as an all time great.
    There are still things that he can work on regarding tackling but piss poor is taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

This is absolute horses***.

Piss poor? Are you serious? No commitment?

Richie Grey (6'10" 20st) running full tilt 10-15 metres from the try line with a winger in tow. Kearney placed his bet and lost. He banked on an offload "fully committed" to stopping a try and was sold a dummy by a fantastic player.

Piss poor is your comment and after all your talk about ROG's tackling not being that bad. :rolleyes:

Word

Advertisement