Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't get why they reshuffle the backline when D'Arcy goes off with Sexton moving to 12. Why not put on McFadden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I don't get why they reshuffle the backline when D'Arcy goes off with Sexton moving to 12. Why not put on McFadden?

This.

We've seen what can happen to Earls and Fitzgerald when they get shifted about the place, so why are we shifting Sexton to accomodate a guy who's only going to win a handful more caps? McFadden in at 12 is clearly the right call, given that D'arcy is pretty much finished for Ireland and McFadden is the obvious replacement.

Ryan and Reddan proved why they should have been starting all along, great displays.

Kearney and Ferris: to quote Andy Gray "Tikaboo, son."

Earls, credit where it is due, has not embarassed himself like we all thought (well, other than making a meal out of the Evans incident). Doesn't change the fact that his selection was the wrong choice, though. Also, I wouldn't be proclaiming him as Ireland's future 13 after good performances against Italy and Scotland at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'm guessing the media didnt ask Kidney this (didnt see the post match interviews/analysis)

Did any analyst talk about it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

phog wrote: »
    BTW, TOL didn't weaken the team, in fact I dont think any of the subs weakened the team.

I thought Ireland lost a lot of rhythm and control with the three subs.

I really don't understand Kidney's approach to substitutions. Some games he keeps his entire bench on their arses and others he springs people for no apparent reason.
    MungBean wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ?

No. He appeared to be mouthing off a bit today but he's no worse then your average scrum half and he's never gotten in trouble for it from any ref that I'm aware of.

I really have no idea. Today it seemed to be because Kidney wanted ROG to take over the captaincy, which was ludicrous. If D'Arcy has to come off though I'd much prefer to see McFadden go on in a straight swap. Sexton was doing well at 10 and moving him out to 12 just didn't make any sense to me.

With regards Kearney, I'd be of the opinion he should have tackled Grey. Putting a lock under pressure to make a pass or offload is preferable to giving him free reign to run in. A try was always going to be scored there though. Kearney's defence is definitely the weakest point of his game - which is not to say it's bad, but it could do with some work. He's missed a reasonable number of last ditch tackles for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

POC isn't fit though. DOC is playing well and doing the job asked of him. He shouldn't be first choice but, its nowhere near the problem people are making it.

I actually think I bigger deal should be made of Earl's performances. There were threads of bile and venom spewed about him before the 6N began. He has now put in 4 very accomplished performances at 13 while steadily improving every week. His critics have been silenced, little if any of them have admitted they were terribly off point.

A good many people have said in loads of other threads that Earls has surprised them with how well he has done so I don't know where you are coming up with the utter bollocks of your last sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ? Today was the day he had to step up into a leadership role and he spent an awful lot of time giving the ref and touch judges lip.

Another ref might not have taken too kindly to the way he was conducting himself and that kind of attitude doesnt really befit a leader of a team.

Absolute LOL.

I'm starting to believe that Sexton could give 10 masterclass performances in a row and that people would still manage to criticise the colour of his socks or something equally silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Teferi wrote: »
    Absolute LOL.

I'm starting to believe that Sexton could give 10 masterclass performances in a row and that people would still manage to criticise the colour of his socks or something equally silly.

Oh sorry I forgot that because other people criticised his kicking he's no longer eligible to be spoken about.

Mods !! Can you put that in the charter please ? Sexton is no longer to be talked about on the forum. He's had his quota of ciritism this year and anything that remotely looks like criticism should be banned.

Hopefully we wont make that mistake again ! Imagine that, talking about a rugby player in the rugby forum. Ridiculous !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

If only Ireland had started the 6nations in this form, we could have had the championship wrapped up at this stage. Still though Kidney needs to deliver in the pressure situations. A win against France and Wales in 2013 would guarantee us a Grand Slam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

2 maybe 3 great turnovers. Took on a lot of ball and made some good carries. Involved in a lt of tackles. Great little run around the back of the lineout and pass to Best for his try. Don't think you ask for more from a starting debut. 4th best forward after Healy, Ryan and Ferris.

Its funny how if your SOB you get a turnover taken off you and if your a newbie a couple is added on. All credit to POM, very competent debut, no backrow injury should be treated with trepidation. SOB does need to be cut a bit more slack though, had he delivered POMs performance the popular description woul've been anonymous. He's only been a starter for a season lest we forget. All credit POM though, you cant ignore his passion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ? Today was the day he had to step up into a leadership role and he spent an awful lot of time giving the ref and touch judges lip.

Another ref might not have taken too kindly to the way he was conducting himself and that kind of attitude doesnt really befit a leader of a team.

No, I think he's a consummate professional but I did see him throwing shapes towards the ref and touch judges a few times. But in fairness, he was in the right whenever I saw him do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Dempsey wrote: »
    Nice shot of Sexton kicking, luck shot or did you have one of those cameras that can take several shots in quick succession?

It was a lucky shot, just got the timing right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Exactly. McFadden's try was exactly what you want from a 12, strength and footwork in traffic which is just what made D'Arcy a great player. Think McFadden should get a start next week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Sindri wrote: »
    No, I think he's a consummate professional but I did see him throwing shapes towards the ref and touch judges a few times. But in fairness, he was in the right whenever I saw him do it.

As a ref I can tell you it doesnt matter if your right or not.
    If you think something is called wrong and start bitching its all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

castie wrote: »
    As a ref I can tell you it doesnt matter if your right or not.
    If you think something is called wrong and start bitching its all the same.

Ah yeah, but he was only getting onto them to draw attention to foul play by the Scots, or that Ireland should get possession/penalty. He wasn't bitching about calls or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭ironingbored

DM360 wrote: »
    Thought Rory Best was great today, don't see him getting much credit here. Was active all over the pitch and showed high-quality prowess to go over in the corner for his try.

Never really thought much of Donnacha Ryan until today (I was watching BBC and winced every time the name "Donka" was said). Last week he gave a hint of his capabilities but this week he really stood out as one of our best players. I'd be all for him taking DOC's place tbh.

I've heard a lot of praise for POM but I can't say I noticed him during the game. Seemed fairly quiet and I didn't witness any particular moments of brilliance from him. Not sure really sure why he's being held in such high regard.

O'Mahony had a very good game considering it was his first international start.

Having said that it was Scotland and I don't think you can really compare SOB's performance against France (a much tougher test).

What it does do is give us an excellent young player as another option in the backrow.

I would have liked to see him against Italy and Scotland (which saw today) albeit through injury.

The only sore point is that Fr. Deccie seems to parachute certain players in (in POM's case rightly so) while others are almost included (SOB, Ross, Ryan) by as a result of media pressure and/or popular demand.

I wouldn't be too hard on him. 10's need to be bothersome pricks sometimes.

There was a funny moment in a Scotland attack where he was pushing the ref all over the park. :D

durkadurka wrote: »
    Oh god
    uriah wrote: »
    Didn't notice him.
    What position was he playing in?

He was in the stand with Jerry Flannery. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

I wouldn't be too hard on him. 10's need to be bothersome pricks sometimes.

There was a funny moment in a Scotland attack where he was pushing the ref all over the park. :D
    That was cos the ref stopped Sexton making the tackle. Would have been crossing if the ref had a blue jersey on...

On the kearney 2-1 for th Scot try, think he slid on the outside so AT could get across. That was the way I read it.

Nice to see an Irish scrum go forward too!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Sexto can be pretty cranky alright. While we're always banging on about the differences between himself and ROG, that's one similarity! I was surprised to see ROG given the captaincy for precisely that reason, I always thought he was just a bit too cranky to deal with the ref politely. Same goes for Sexto, who I think will be a leader figure in the Irish team, but never captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I thought Ireland lost a lot of rhythm and control with the three subs.

We'll have to agree to differ. I'll rewatch the game again this evening and keep this in mind.

Exactly. McFadden's try was exactly what you want from a 12, strength and footwork in traffic which is just what made D'Arcy a great player. Think McFadden should get a start next week.

McFadden did great work to get the ball over the line but his refusal to pass the ball out the line earlier in the move could have cost us his try. It's seems to be a weakness of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Ok, so We scored a bag load of tries.

We dominated at scrum time.

O'Leary and McFadden came off the bench and the world didn't end! They actually played well.

ROG and Sexton played on the pitch together and played well.

We went up against a formidable lineout without our talisman POC, yet Donnacha Ryan and Donnacha O'Callaghan actually played well.

Earls showed us the reason why he was selected at 13 for this 6 Nations, with great handling, exceptional defence and finally some attacking flair, leading to a try (eventually)

We found ourselves a potential 7 for the future in POM, and confirmed that D.Ryan is the real deal.

Healy is playing like a man posessed.

Kearney had another great game.

Sexton was great from the tee, and apart form 2-3 bad decision, lead the line very well.

Yet, people are still complaining about Kidney, D'Arcy, DOC (completly ignoring the work he did a ruck time, and the power he brings at scrumtime).
    Its no wonder the atmosphere in the Aviva is shíte. Instead of watching and supporting the team, our fans are waiting for an opportunity for their most hated player to make a mistake so they can call him Crap on an internet forum after the game!

The reaction when TOL came on said it all. People before he touched the ball were calling him shíte, and saying he didn't deserve to be in the Jersey again.

WHOEVER YOU ARE CAN YOU KEEP POSTING HERE AS I AM SICK OF THE NEGATIVE TRIPE ON HERE. SOME IS JUSTIFIED BUT YOUR POINTS HERE ARE EXACT SAME AS MINE BUT I NOT GOT ENERGY TO WRITE IT ALL OUT :)

kidney out though would be nice but if he stays we got get behind the team 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Think it's because Kidney always wants to bring ROG on for whatever reason-but didn't want to bring Sexton off and wanted him to continue with the kicking duties. I mean-if you are comfortable with your OH, kicking well, defence and distribution top notch-why would you want another OH to come on to take his place? Kidney obsession with giving ROG caps is mystifying and its one of the reasons Sexton hasn't been more consistent for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Best had taken a knock then Kidney may have wanted ROG on as captain.

Or perhaps Kidney felt Cronin deserved a shot at 30 minutes off the bench.

Either way I though TOL did fairly well but ROG is just not needed in this team any more. Surely someone else there could have captained the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cork exile in london

Madworld wrote: »

this is actually one of the better welsh forums. they are seriously obsessed with irish handling in the rucks etc. hope france hockey them and see gatlands ignorant head fuming and his sidekick edwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tbh I find it quite hard to believe how ignorant a lot of Irish fans are of how much we bend the rules! Certainly as much as any team in the world, if not more so.

I don't mind it at all, in fact I'm quite proud of it but its strange to see Irish people call Richie McCaw a cheat! If people don't like a bit of rule bending then they're watching the wrong sport. When people accuse Ireland of being cheats I can only assume its a compliment!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Tbh I find it quite hard to believe how ignorant a lot of Irish fans are of how much we bend the rules! Certainly as much as any team in the world, if not more so.

I don't mind it at all, in fact I'm quite proud of it but its strange to see Irish people call Richie McCaw a cheat! If people don't like a bit of rule bending then they're watching the wrong sport. When people accuse Ireland of being cheats I can only assume its a compliment!
    TBH, I think every team tries it as much as they can.
    Every team, will go to that line, and cross it to try and gain an advantage.

Its the teams that are good at it that get called cheats.

We have guys like, O'Connell, Ferris, DOC and Heaslip who are experts at slowing ball down in rucks, and often turning the ball over.

New Zealand have the likes of McCaw, Australia have Pocock. And they are termed cheaters. Zirkashvilli might do it for Georgia more then McCaw, but if he's not as good at it, he wont be noticed!

To give out about a team handling in the ruck is like giving out about a team who scores a lot of tries.

Just because they are more effective at it, and are more successful then you are doesn't mean they do it more often, or get away with it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It's exactly the same way we berate the standard of refereeing when we don't win (Gerry Thornley is shocking for this), yet we never hear how the referee favours Ireland when we win. Rugby is a game of grey areas, it's just the nature of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We certainly bend the rules but no more than any other team. In fact refs seem to have us maked as a 'cheating' team, we don't get away with a whole lot at the breakdown and are very quick to get blown up for infringements. The fact is we've been on the end of some truely awful decisions the last few seasons.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If Best had taken a knock then Kidney may have wanted ROG on as captain.

Or perhaps Kidney felt Cronin deserved a shot at 30 minutes off the bench.

Either way I though TOL did fairly well but ROG is just not needed in this team any more. Surely someone else there could have captained the team?
    Ferris or Heaslip should have got it, giving the captaincy to a bit part player is lunacy.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Think it's because Kidney always wants to bring ROG on for whatever reason-but didn't want to bring Sexton off and wanted him to continue with the kicking duties. I mean-if you are comfortable with your OH, kicking well, defence and distribution top notch-why would you want another OH to come on to take his place? Kidney obsession with giving ROG caps is mystifying and its one of the reasons Sexton hasn't been more consistent for Ireland.

Ah Jaysus, poor Johnny! Getting upset that there are other players. I bet ROG did something nasty like smile at him.

And Rog is fairly open about his thoughts and views on anything and everything, and he's said a number of times that he gets on well with Sexton and Sexton has reciprocated. When Sexton came onto the scene it looked a bit tense, but now you only have to watch the interaction between the two to see they get on and encourage each other. And whenever you see Rog on the sidelines he's always smiling and clapping for Sexton. Then when he does come on for him there's a genuine smile between the two as they exchange places.

It's ridiculous to say that having a substitute out-half is effecting Sexton. And if you do want to go that line why was Reddan allowed on the bench when Conor Murray is in pretty much the same situation Sexton was in a few years ago.

The Rog upsetting Sexton stuff is pure conspiracy theory territory.

Advertisement