Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    We'll you said it was a bizaare post so why would I let you think you were right? Sextons played more at 12 than McFadden for Ireland

Not for one second saying that should be the case though

It was a bizarre post because it departed from the main point. Look forget it,I'll leave you with the semantics:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭phog

danthefan wrote: »
    You cannot be serious. There is one game left in the 6N.

How many were missing today through injury, injuries they picked up last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

leakyboots wrote: »
    Seeing those tries, Kearney literally ran away from Gray. Some poor tackles before that too... but still... Fullback Play 101 - tackle the guy with the ball running at you, doesn't matter if he has 10 men outside him.

Yes I thought Kearney was good today, other than his usual tunnel vision, which isn't always such a bad trait and his positioning and decision making for that try.

Firstly he should never have been put in that position and I don't envy him.

Secondly, he should have either tackled Gray or gave Gray the opportunity inside of him, slowing him down, closing off the outside and pushing him in field to where there are more players. If it's done well you can even have a chance to tackle the man with the ball. But that's very very difficult and risky.

Or conversely doing the same but pushing him out to the touchline and closing off the winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Tox56 wrote: »
    That first paragraph could be used, almost to the word, to describe SOB last week.

Which is why it is a close call on who to start next week..? Its much more impressive for a player in his first international start and only ~5th game at 7 to put in such a performance, than a former European player of the year who has played ~half his professional rugby at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

wonton wrote: »
    that run from kearney just before earls dived like a professional swimmer was incredible.

That's not the first time he's taken a dive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Which is why it is a close call on who to start next week..? Its much more impressive for a player in his first international start and only ~5th game at 7 to put in such a performance, than a former European player of the year who has played ~half his professional rugby at 7.

What I meant was when both of them are playing just as well, it's a virtual no brainer as to who would be picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

martybike wrote: »
    Christ are people seriously suggesting Earls dived?

When a guy runs across you, and clips your ankle's... you fall.

Any questions?

Like this? :D:D

Keith_Earls_627740g2.jpg

Pic taken from here Mr. Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

danthefan wrote: »
    You cannot be serious. There is one game left in the 6N.

So reddan couldn't possibly get injured or O'Leary didn't need the time, which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

^^That has so got to be part of a boards.ie photoshop competition. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Superbus wrote: »
    Bit of a dive?
    Just re-watched it. No clip of the heels.

To be honest I'm disgusted at Earls for diving. If a Scottish player did it we'd be livid! I hate diving.

In fairness to Earls, I think there was a bit of a dive, but I can't really blame him.

I reckon himself and the covering player (Lamont I think) were both 50-50 regarding who would get to the ball first. If you get pulled back like Earls was, and it turns into a 30-70 and reduces our chance of a try, then you're right to get your penalty. Had Earls stayed on his feet, he wouldn't have gotten the penalty and we would have lost out as a result of a tackle off the ball.

Its the same playing soccer. You might get a clip which puts you off-balance and lose possession, but they are difficult for the referee to spot. If you try and stay on your feet, you lose possession as a result of a foul on you. If you go to ground, then the chances of you being awarded your free shoot up.

Completely different to taking a dive where there is no foul in my view.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Christ are people seriously suggesting Earls dived?

When a guy runs across you, and clips your ankle's... you fall.

Any questions?

I wouldn't fault him for the fall but I think he kicked too early, should have kept the ball in hand but as he was ahead Evans when fouled he was unlucky not to get the penalty try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

.ak wrote: »
    So at the end of it it's been a pretty disappointing six nations with no progress. .

What team are you watching? What exactly do you want? This Irish team has got better every week after a dodgy start to Wales that they could even have won.
    I echo the sentiments earlier about negativity, the above post is nonsense, this is now a good Irish team that has made solid, definite progress. I would safely say that they are the best team in the 6 Nations at this moment, after watching Wales in the last two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I don;t think it was a case of Scotland being much worse today than previous games, more a case of us not letting them play

Our defense was wonderful

Tox56 wrote: »
    What I meant was when both of them are playing just as well, it's a virtual no brainer as to who would be picked.

The general consensus is usually the younger player ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Regarding Earl's "dive". His arm was tugged and it did look there was clipping of heels, whether intentional or not Evans running line looked suspect. Had to be at least a penalty imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The general consensus is usually the younger player ya?

If the person he is replacing is a 25 year old European Player of the Year, we may be able to make an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Really I'm not sure on the Earls moment. I hope that it wasn't a complete dive, because that's incredibly bad form. I think that although he certainly did make the most of it, he was clipped in the back of the heels. When he kicked the ball ahead, the Scottish defender veered across in his direction, rather than directly after the ball, which certainly didn't help his case. But I'd have to see it a few more times to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Care to elaborate Marty? Or did you even watch the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Was watching the match on the Holyhead- Dublin ferry with no sound. Why was Bowe's try disallowed?

Also, any word on Jones? Looked fairly serious...

• Advertisement

V_Moth wrote: »
    Was watching the match on the Holyhead- Dublin ferry with no sound. Why was Bowe's try disallowed?

Double movement was indicated by the ref.

Not sure about Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Double movement. I'd almost tend to agree with that tbh... he took an awful long time in getting it down.

Jones has concussion, but he'll be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Double movement, penalty to the Scots

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I don;t think it was a case of Scotland being much worse today than previous games, more a case of us not letting them play

Our defense was wonderful

Last 6 days showed how versatile our defence is. Aggressive blitz against strong ball carriers like Fofana, Rougerie and Malzieu worked brilliantly last week. We didn't allow their big carriers get up to speed, and we hit man and ball.

We drifted a lot more today, went from side to side, and didn't allow the Scots outflank us. Had we blitzed, I think their offloading would have opened us up a bit more like they did to the French, who are fairly aggressive off the line.

2 completely different types of defence working excellently, 6 days apart.

Its just a pity we picked the wrong one of those defences to employ against Wales.

I almost think England will be more of a challenge. If we blitz to counter Tuilagi, then Farrell could easily chip in behind, while Foden and Sharples are more than capable of picking a good angle to counter the blitz If we stand off, then we're inviting Tuilagi and Morgan to run at our smaller centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Did RTE cop that it wasn't going to be awarded by the TMO

Don't think the BBC commentators even knew there was a double movement rule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Thanks all. Good to hear re Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Did RTE cop that it wasn't going to be awarded by the TMO

Don't think the BBC commentators even knew there was a double movement rule

Yeah they did eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

phog wrote: »
    Reddan, was good but not outstanding, if Murray or TOL did some of what he did today they'd be blue murder on here. How many of his box kicks were any better than Murray's? He fed a piss poor ball into the scrum, he failed badly in defending for Scotland's only try, his taking the ball from the ruck was as slow as Murray's but Murray is still too slow?

Everyone knows the box kicking is a bi-product of DK's territorial obsession. No one is saying the box kicking for either was good. They were both plain bad at box kicking. Why? Because they don't even do it at club level. Why? Because good clubs don't kick away easy possession. Ireland does though - god forbid we play the ball.

Ball into the scrum? Piss poor? C'mon off it. Just because he didn't throw it into the second row?

He's a small SH, Gray is a huge 'foot-in for the Lions' second row, he was always going to come off second best, but in truth it shouldn't have been his place to make that tackle. He should be sweeping behind the gain line, not making head on tackles. Ofcourse this is where Murray shines, but this isn't a Murray-Reddan pissing contest.

And if you think Reddan was as slow as Murray was during the Italy game you obviously don't believe in the theory of time or relativity.

The point of my post is there was absolute no reason to bring Reddan off at the 50 min mark. Kidders has it in for him, full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Keith, thank you for proving a retarded fan like me wrong.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Advertisement