Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland -Aviva Stadium - Saturday 10th March 5pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

durkadurka wrote: »
    Oh god

Didn't notice him.
    What position was he playing in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Oh god

Was that in response to my post ? If so would you care to elaborate a bit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MungBean wrote: »
    Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ? Today was the day he had to step up into a leadership role and he spent an awful lot of time giving the ref and touch judges lip.

Another ref might not have taken too kindly to the way he was conducting himself and that kind of attitude doesnt really befit a leader of a team.

It's not really a major concern. Definitely something he could work on though. In fairness, I've seen players like POC give the refs a lot more lip. Hopefully today was just a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Anyone else worried about Sextons attitude ? Today was the day he had to step up into a leadership role and he spent an awful lot of time giving the ref and touch judges lip.

Another ref might not have taken too kindly to the way he was conducting himself and that kind of attitude doesnt really befit a leader of a team.

Tbh..... I didn't notice any of that and that was his best performance of the season for Ireland, so to answer your question, no I am not worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

To be honest, I'm more worried about his mental fragility when taking goal kicks. Oh wait... Well, then I know that he'll crumble when he sees O'Gara warming up... no, no, hang on, yeah, it's his attitude, that's it.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'm more worried about his mental fragility when taking goal kicks. Oh wait... Well, then I know that he'll crumble when he sees O'Gara warming up... no, no, hang on, yeah, it's his attitude, that's it.

I have no idea what your on about. You think I'm having a pop at Sexton for the sake of it or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Tbh..... I didn't notice any of that and that was his best performance of the season for Ireland, so to answer your question, no I am not worried.

Can't say I saw it either, Sexton was very assured today.

I have no idea what your on about. You think I'm having a pop at Sexton for the sake of it or something ?

I don't know to be honest and fair enough if you're not, but I definitely think you're reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭JRant

What's going on here?
    Sexton has an attitude problem!
    Kearney is awful in defense!
    Heaslip is crap!

Must be watching a different game tbh!!!!

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

DM360 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of praise for POM but I can't say I noticed him during the game. Seemed fairly quiet and I didn't witness any particular moments of brilliance from him. Not sure really sure why he's being held in such high regard.

2 maybe 3 great turnovers. Took on a lot of ball and made some good carries. Involved in a lt of tackles. Great little run around the back of the lineout and pass to Best for his try. Don't think you ask for more from a starting debut. 4th best forward after Healy, Ryan and Ferris.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »

He was pretty mouthy today and was throwing a lot of shapes when things didnt go our way reffing wise. Not saying its a huge issue or anything or that he didnt play well. I thought he had a great game today. Just a little concerned about the way he's talking to the ref is all. He seems to be getting increasingly more agitated and mouthy towards the ref.

Nigel Owens for one probably wouldnt have put up with it I dont think, making your point to the ref or TJ is one thing but shouting and talking to them in an ignorant manner is something that isnt nice to see in a game. And I'm not sure what some posters issue is but I think I'm quite entitled to discuss how a player is conducting himself on the pitch.

I don't know to be honest and fair enough if you're not, but I definitely think you're reading too much into it.

Well I'm not having a go at him for the sake of it, its just something that caught my eye today is all. Perhaps I am reading a bit too much into it but even at that I'm surely entitled to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Was that in response to my post ? If so would you care to elaborate a bit ?

I'll admit it was brief. To elaborate, basically sexton has come to own the shirt over the last few games and show exactly what he brings to the table. The last remaining issue was the the goal kicking which has been grand this tournament and particularly accurate today .

And now we're onto his attitude. That stinks to be fair.

2 maybe 3 great turnovers. Took on a lot of ball and made some good carries. Involved in a lt of tackles. Great little run around the back of the lineout and pass to Best for his try. Don't think you ask for more from a starting debut. 4th best forward after Healy, Ryan and Ferris.

POM was very good today; solid, did his job, no mistakes (conceded one penalty maybe), very successful first start. Just watched the game back and Hook was creaming himself at half-time, think he was a bit over the top in his praise because I think POM is still a 6 wearing 7 and I didn't see much today to change my mind, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if SOB doesn't recover for next week.

I'll admit it was brief. To elaborate, basically sexton has come to own the shirt over the last few games and show exactly what he brings to the table. The last remaining issue was the the goal kicking which has been grand this tournament and particularly accurate today .

And now we're onto his attitude. That stinks to be fair.

Well to be honest none of that has anything to do with my post. I never posted anything critical about his kicking. I have never doubted his ability or questioned his rise to take the 10 shirt as his own.

So I dont think I should have to alter my opinion or my posts to suit your issues with what other posters have said. If I want to discuss the way he conducts himself in the game in relation to the ref then I'll discuss it. If you dont want to discuss it then dont, move on. But dont think for a second you can tell me what I can or cannot talk about because you have a chip on your shoulder over what other people have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Well you've managed to imply that I'm trying to be some sort of opinion Gestapo which I clearly am not. I simply think that sexton is doing very well and talk of his attitude is just nitpicking.
    Anyway I'll engage no further.
    Night all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I've had run ins with MungBean before, mainly the red card in the WC incident

But infairness to him he's not having a pop at Sexton for the sake of it or to flame

Well you've managed to imply that I'm trying to be some sort of opinion Gestapo which I clearly am not. I simply think that sexton is doing very well and talk of his attitude is just nitpicking.
    Anyway I'll engage no further.
    Night all.

Then why not just say that instead of rubbishing my opinion then following up by telling me that it stinks to be discussing his attitude because other before have criticised him for his kicking. This is a rugby forum and this thread is for the discussion of todays match. I'm quite entitled to discuss how one player conducted himself today and I dont appreciate being accused of unfairly picking on the player because what other people have said previously.

It was an innocent enough post about his attitude in dealing with the ref, others responded in a reasonable manner so I dont understand why some are getting so worked up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Match day thread was a bit more bearable today, although there were still some absolute nuggets.

This one is my fave, posted ten minutes into the game
    NickDrake wrote: »
    why are people surprised? We were never going to win this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I hadn't hit refresh there and didn't see it had all been done already. There is nothing wrong with Sexton's attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Just watching the game back on Setanta now. To be fair, Kearney did himself no favours for that try.

As a schoolboy you learn that you always go for the man with the ball and trust your defence to cover the outside. Don't focus on the ball and you won't buy the dummy.

I thought it was always cover the outside and trust your defence to come across to defend the inside.I'm pretty sure of that.

Chavways wrote: »
    I thought it was always cover the outside and trust your defence to come across to defend the inside.I'm pretty sure of that.

What defence? He was the last man. If you're in a defensive line then yes you obviously have a man to mark and if you get drawn to the ball you can leave a gap but this was an entirely different situation.

danthefan wrote: »
    What defence? He was the last man. If you're in a defensive line then yes you obviously have a man to mark and if you get drawn to the ball you can leave a gap but this was an entirely different situation.

Ya I know.I was referring to a situation like this in general. No matter what decision Kearney made today a try was inevitable but usually if there were numbers you would cover the outside and the players tracking across would take the ball carrier.

Nobody could have prevented that try today.

Chavways wrote: »
    Ya I know.I was referring to a situation like this in general. No matter what decision Kearney made today a try was inevitable but usually if there were numbers you would cover the outside and the players tracking across would take the ball carrier.

Nobody could have prevented that try today.

Reddan or Bowe could have. Kearney couldn't.

danthefan wrote: »
    Reddan or Bowe could have. Kearney couldn't.

I meant nobody in Kearneys position

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

To summarise: Heaslip is ****e, Kearneys defence is ****e, D'Arcy is ****e, Redden played ****e, Sextons attitude is ****e. What's the common link here?

To quote a great manager, 'You's are ****ing idiots'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Great photos
    Surley wrote: »
    Thought I'd post some pics from the match

195966.JPG

195967.JPG

195968.JPG

195969.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So we won fairly well in the end but I still think we're struggling in this competition. We're taking our trys when we get the opportunity but we still aren't playing that well.

I'll have a look at the game again tomorrow and see if I missed some stuff. But right now I'm still a bit concerned about where this team is actually going.

Clegg wrote: »
    So we won fairly well in the end but I still think we're struggling in this competition. We're taking our trys when we get the opportunity but we still aren't playing that well.

I'll have a look at the game again tomorrow and see if I missed some stuff. But right now I'm still a bit concerned about where this team is actually going.

I thought it was a very patchy performance. I'm glad we were playing Scotland because we'd have lost to Wales or France on that performance, and I'd imagine it won't be good enough for Twickenham either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nice shot of Sexton kicking, luck shot or did you have one of those cameras that can take several shots in quick succession?

Advertisement