Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

sharper wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a freakish weirdo (well ok I am) but I'd see the route to relationship running through friendship. A lot of people seem to see them as completely different and contradictory things which isn't a distinction I quite grasp.

Do you grasp the difference when you're in a relationship with someone or do you think it's ok to blur all the lines between friends in that situation? If so, how does your other half react? and would you also be ok if he blurred the lines as well? If no, how do your other friends react to the changed style of relationship when you begin dating one of them ? How does the friendship go with someone when you break up as a couple?

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I presume the answer is no to most of those questions, but there's your difference.

Generally best not to cross the lines IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

glasso wrote: »
    "bubbly personality" would be better? It's just a euphemism for the same thing...

No. That's not what bubbly personality means at all.

Important word in that sentence is bolded for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

hi guys, a quick question, iv returned to pof lately and i notice the meet me feature isnt working, do i have to upgrade to avail of this now?

i found it very handy before to strike up a conversation but all it says is that the list runs out, new users will be added soon??
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

johnr1 wrote: »
    No. That's not what bubbly personality means at all.

Important word in that sentence is bolded for you.

Except it is pretty much what it means, and your either very sheltered or very naive if youve never seen it used or heard in the context to describe someone whos overweight without calling them overweight.
    However i agree with not using the term "another fatty", its a pretty horrible way to describe someone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

sharper wrote: »
    People misrepresenting themselves is bad but comments like "another fatty" makes it hard to feel sorry for your situation.

"bubbly personality" would be better? It's just a euphemism for the same thing...
    Eh no! I've a bubbly personality and I'm not fat! Definitely no a euphemism!

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »
    Eh no! I've a bubbly personality and I'm not fat! Definitely no a euphemism!

see definition number 10.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bubbly&page=2

adj. A lady of sizeable proportions. Often used as an inoffensive term to describe a chubby lady in a situation which requires you not to alienate the person before they are introduced.

If bubbly is used with the suffix 'personality', you are nearly always guaranteed that the lady in question will be of the Michelle McManus school of eating.
    In the context of attempting to set up your chubby-chasing friend with an acquaintence: - "oh yeah, you'll love her, she's got a really bubbly personality."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

From the latest charmer:
    Hey there im gonna be straight with ya my girlfriend is out tonight would you like to come and ....... Have a good time?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

From the latest charmer:

Interesting that he's explicit about being a cheater but needs to use a euphemism for sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Hey there im gonna be straight with ya my girlfriend is out tonight would you like to come and ....... Have a good time?

:pac:
    Sure where are you? ;)

Ahem.

/coat. :pac:

This is gospel is it? It's defo not the Oxford dictionary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just got cancelled on for tomorrow night so I'll be going to the beers with all guns blazing.

Same "mystery girl" that posted here earlier in the thread. Had the cheek to string me along for another week and then cancel today telling me not to discuss it on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

How do you go along to this if you don't know anyone in the first place?

How do you go along to this if you don't know anyone in the first place?

That's all part of the fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

KTRIC wrote: »
    Just got cancelled on for tomorrow night so I'll be going to the beers with all guns blazing.

Same "mystery girl" that posted here earlier in the thread. Had the cheek to string me along for another week and then cancel today telling me not to discuss it on boards.

I'd have given her a chance?

Let her off... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

LOL did she honestly expect you not to discuss it after all that? Also who cares if you talk about it as long as you dont identify her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL did she honestly expect you not to discuss it after all that? Also who cares if you talk about it as long as you dont identify her.

So Ktric f's up, and she gives him another chance, she's talking for a week, cancels and he's on about her again, she deserved a chance tbh.

The boardsie isn't always right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Think I might re-join OKCupid in the next few days or weeks...

Samich wrote: »
    I'd have given her a chance?
    Let her off... :rolleyes:
    VinLieger wrote: »
    So Ktric f's up, and she gives him another chance, she's talking for a week, cancels and he's on about her again, she deserved a chance tbh.

The boardsie isn't always right.

I did give her another chance, that was after she posted here and ignored me because I didn't want to give out my phone number.

We chatted nearly non-stop all week and then she tells me that we should't meet and shes not in the right head space for a date, blah blah blah. Then closed / disabled her account.

All quite ironical seeing as she doesn't like "messers" :rolleyes:

Why the fcuk are people who are "not in the right head space" on a dating site????

• Advertisement

Why the fcuk are people who are "not in the right head space" on a dating site????

My guess is they want someone really awesome and amazing to come along and pull them into the right headspace. In the real world though they just end up half heartedly talking to people whom then don't feel like they're all that interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I don' t know- even in the 'right headspace', online dating can sometimes catapult you into the 'not right headsapace'.

That aside, I imagine the definitive nature of online dating can be a little intimidating even for people who think they know what they want let alone those who are just testing the waters.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I don' t know- even in the 'right headspace', online dating can sometimes catapult you into the 'not right headsapace'.

Indeed, I find it a great way to remind myself I just don't get along with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

G-Money wrote: »
    Think I might re-join OKCupid in the next few days or weeks...

You might want to think again :rolleyes:

I received an email telling me that the OK Cupid Staff Robot had selected some special Quiver matches. This person was top of their list & Computer may say Yes but it's a definite No from me :eek:

"I am a Dominant woman very much into BDSM. If you are not submissive or a switch, seeking a relationship that goes beyond the vanilla, read no further. And definitely don't message me unless you want to be subjected to my opinions, thoughts, words, desires, needs and judgment."

Hmm, just shot up to about 90% beautiful and back in, don't know how that happens?

I would wait until you are accepted & then put on your profile that you are not interested in any people who put looks ahead of personality :D

By the way how do they know that the pic is genuine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

'You any good in bed?'

Yep,definitely a charmer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

After my fantastic advice? Bah humbug! Sounds like a drama queen TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Why on earth are married people on OKCupid? Not having any luck at all, any recommendations for other sites?

Well I would be inclined to veer on the side of "Mystery Girl". I wouldn't go on a date until I had spoken to the person on the phone. You can tell a hundred times more in one phone call than via email.

But this would seem to be a case of misunderstanding which is far less likely if you do the human thing & talk. It's so easy for texts & emails to be misunderstood especially if you have never met the person.
    Bobby42 wrote: »
    Why on earth are married people on OKCupid? Not having any luck at all, any recommendations for other sites?

I reckon that they are all pretty similar but personally I would avoid the one's that use "matching systems". I once spend ages answering a pile of questions on a site only to find that their assessment of my personality was totally wrong & so were the "matches".

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Well I would be inclined to veer on the side of "Mystery Girl". I wouldn't go on a date until I had spoken to the person on the phone. You can tell a hundred times more in one phone call than via email.

But this would seem to be a case of misunderstanding which is far less likely if you do the human thing & talk. It's so easy for texts & emails to be misunderstood especially if you have never met the person.

Either you're reading it wrong or I wrote it wrong. We got on great (I would think) and had arranged to meet tomorrow even after the misunderstanding. I won't post messages from her to reenforce my point but in the brightness of a new day I think I dodged a bullet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement